Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Basketball
Topic:  RE: Official Game 5 Thread: Mount St. Mary's

Topic:  RE: Official Game 5 Thread: Mount St. Mary's
Author
Message
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 4,316

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 5 Thread: Mount St. Mary's
   Posted: 11/22/2021 10:37:44 PM 
Roderick's outside shot still has not arrived, so great to see him attack the basket aggressively with and without the ball and make an impact on the game some other way.

14 offensive rebounds is outstanding. That paired with forcing 20 turnovers (like I said we probably could) resulted in us getting 19 more shot attempts. I think that's your difference.

Miles looks like the most improved guy from last year on the squad.
Back to Top
  
Andrew Ruck
General User



Member Since: 12/22/2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 3,583

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 5 Thread: Mount St. Mary's
   Posted: 11/23/2021 9:06:43 AM 
I noticed that about the line too. I seriously don't know how gamblers handle that kind of ridiculousness...I couldn't handle that kind of injustice.

Much like the Robert Morris game, we still comfortably won despite being the poorer shooting team. I don't like being the poorer shooting team, but I think it is a good sign that we can overcome it. Jalen Benjamin was unstoppable, 9 of 10 from the field with lots of deep ones.

A couple things I have noticed all season (but need to fact check) is we are turning the ball over much less than our opponents, and we are committing much less fouls than our opponents. Those are 2 great things to get in the habit of. I don't recall anyone being in foul trouble at all yet this season.

I am still not convinced we have to have Sears/Schmock be an either/or. I wouldn't mind seeing Miles run PG with Lunden at SG when Sears is out. Both Miles & Lunden have looked good this season IMO and it feels like they should be up around 25+ minutes not 20/20.

Another great night defensively for Jason. He is really fun to watch on the defensive end of the court.

Looking forward to hearing from McKinney on Concordia and their storied history and potent lineup!


Andrew Ruck
B.B.A. 2003

Back to Top
  
El Gato Roberto
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Illinois
Post Count: 867

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 5 Thread: Mount St. Mary's
   Posted: 11/23/2021 9:50:20 AM 
What impressed me most about the win over Mount St Mary’s was our ability to adapt. Mount was determined to prevent the three point shot and the team adjusted and won going away. It shows an ability to win by taking what the defense giving. This is a remarkable attribute. Go Bobcats!

Last Edited: 11/23/2021 9:51:30 AM by El Gato Roberto


"The name's Ohio University, but everybody calls me Ohio. Any of you guys call me Ohio U, and I'll kill you."

Back to Top
  
OU_Country
General User



Member Since: 12/6/2005
Location: On the road between Athens and Madison County
Post Count: 7,985

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 5 Thread: Mount St. Mary's
   Posted: 11/23/2021 11:06:34 AM 
BurritoBuggy4 wrote:
Ryan Carey wrote:
Agreed, have to crank it up to hear the play by play, then get blown out when the commercials come on.


I'm in the exact same boat.


Who do we send emails to for help on that?
Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 2,193

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 5 Thread: Mount St. Mary's
   Posted: 11/23/2021 11:11:18 AM 
OU_Country wrote:
BurritoBuggy4 wrote:
Ryan Carey wrote:
Agreed, have to crank it up to hear the play by play, then get blown out when the commercials come on.


I'm in the exact same boat.


Who do we send emails to for help on that?


The AD. And if she doesn't reply personally, hold a grudge.
Back to Top
  
GroverBall
General User

Member Since: 12/3/2012
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 1,057

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 5 Thread: Mount St. Mary's
   Posted: 11/23/2021 12:00:11 PM 
El Gato Roberto wrote:
What impressed me most about the win over Mount St Mary’s was our ability to adapt. Mount was determined to prevent the three point shot and the team adjusted and won going away. It shows an ability to win by taking what the defense giving. This is a remarkable attribute. Go Bobcats!


I was unable to either attend or watch the MSM game, but this is what the stat sheet tells me.

We took 37 threes against Belmont, 31 against Cleveland State, 26 against Bobby Mo, 24 against Kentucky and 14 last night. Obvious trend downward but I would expect us on the season to average high teens to low/mid 20s. I think everybody can make threes (don't know about Ezuma) and while Jason is not hitting them at a high clip right now I hope he is able to recover from XU coaching and keeps shooting them. Brod is in a funk but he is a shooter and I guarantee he won't continue to shoot 22%. Schmock also will certainly improve his percentage. How about Clayton being ready for the big lights? Nice.

As El Gato points out, stat sheet tells me we adjusted, including hitting the boards especially on the offensive end. Coaching. Great piece in The Athletic in another thread.
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 7,497

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 5 Thread: Mount St. Mary's
   Posted: 11/23/2021 12:32:18 PM 
GroverBall wrote:
El Gato Roberto wrote:
What impressed me most about the win over Mount St Mary’s was our ability to adapt. Mount was determined to prevent the three point shot and the team adjusted and won going away. It shows an ability to win by taking what the defense giving. This is a remarkable attribute. Go Bobcats!


I was unable to either attend or watch the MSM game, but this is what the stat sheet tells me.

We took 37 threes against Belmont, 31 against Cleveland State, 26 against Bobby Mo, 24 against Kentucky and 14 last night. Obvious trend downward but I would expect us on the season to average high teens to low/mid 20s. I think everybody can make threes (don't know about Ezuma) and while Jason is not hitting them at a high clip right now I hope he is able to recover from XU coaching and keeps shooting them. Brod is in a funk but he is a shooter and I guarantee he won't continue to shoot 22%. Schmock also will certainly improve his percentage. How about Clayton being ready for the big lights? Nice.

As El Gato points out, stat sheet tells me we adjusted, including hitting the boards especially on the offensive end. Coaching. Great piece in The Athletic in another thread.


The 3's were not falling and they extended the defense allowing for penetration.
Back to Top
  
100%Cat
General User



Member Since: 1/17/2013
Post Count: 1,983

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 5 Thread: Mount St. Mary's
   Posted: 11/23/2021 3:25:32 PM 
I've really been impressed with Clayton's lack of fear. For a kid who should be a HS senior right now, he's not timid in the least when he gets on the floor, no matter the situation.
Back to Top
  
FearLeon
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 2,466

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 5 Thread: Mount St. Mary's
   Posted: 11/23/2021 4:03:35 PM 
100%Cat wrote:
I've really been impressed with Clayton's lack of fear. For a kid who should be a HS senior right now, he's not timid in the least when he gets on the floor, no matter the situation.


Agree. Seeing some folks asking where's Granger. Compare Clayton confidence as a true frosh compared to Granger as a true frosh from a year ago...and there is a big difference along with a completely different skill-set. I don't see how Granger doesn't redshirt this year and ultimately I think it's going to benefit him and the program better down the road.



Last Edited: 11/23/2021 4:04:25 PM by FearLeon


#BleedGreen #TrentIsGOAT

Back to Top
  
CatsUp
General User

Member Since: 4/15/2019
Post Count: 452

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 5 Thread: Mount St. Mary's
   Posted: 11/23/2021 5:36:49 PM 
FearLeon wrote:
100%Cat wrote:
I've really been impressed with Clayton's lack of fear. For a kid who should be a HS senior right now, he's not timid in the least when he gets on the floor, no matter the situation.


Agree. Seeing some folks asking where's Granger. Compare Clayton confidence as a true frosh compared to Granger as a true frosh from a year ago...and there is a big difference along with a completely different skill-set. I don't see how Granger doesn't redshirt this year and ultimately I think it's going to benefit him and the program better down the road.





I think that a case can sometimes be made for players, if the depth is there, and especially bigger guys who can contribute as a freshman but are expected to have a much bigger upside as they mature, to go ahead and play a significant reserve role as a freshman and redshirt their second year. It might even be a good idea for Granger and Clayton to flip next season (Granger playing and Clayton redshirting). I think it gives the young player a major dose of what they are facing in real games and I would think contribute to their buy-in as to what they need to work on in preparation for the following season. Also, with Clayton being so young, this approach might be especially beneficial or him.
Back to Top
  
GroverBall
General User

Member Since: 12/3/2012
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 1,057

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 5 Thread: Mount St. Mary's
   Posted: 11/23/2021 8:58:25 PM 
CatsUp wrote:
FearLeon wrote:
100%Cat wrote:
I've really been impressed with Clayton's lack of fear. For a kid who should be a HS senior right now, he's not timid in the least when he gets on the floor, no matter the situation.


Agree. Seeing some folks asking where's Granger. Compare Clayton confidence as a true frosh compared to Granger as a true frosh from a year ago...and there is a big difference along with a completely different skill-set. I don't see how Granger doesn't redshirt this year and ultimately I think it's going to benefit him and the program better down the road.





I think that a case can sometimes be made for players, if the depth is there, and especially bigger guys who can contribute as a freshman but are expected to have a much bigger upside as they mature, to go ahead and play a significant reserve role as a freshman and redshirt their second year. It might even be a good idea for Granger and Clayton to flip next season (Granger playing and Clayton redshirting). I think it gives the young player a major dose of what they are facing in real games and I would think contribute to their buy-in as to what they need to work on in preparation for the following season. Also, with Clayton being so young, this approach might be especially beneficial or him.


Very interesting. Is this happening in programs? I would guess only at mid or lower majors and not with a player that has any pro prospects?
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 7,497

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 5 Thread: Mount St. Mary's
   Posted: 11/24/2021 9:05:28 AM 
CatsUp wrote:
FearLeon wrote:
100%Cat wrote:
I've really been impressed with Clayton's lack of fear. For a kid who should be a HS senior right now, he's not timid in the least when he gets on the floor, no matter the situation.


Agree. Seeing some folks asking where's Granger. Compare Clayton confidence as a true frosh compared to Granger as a true frosh from a year ago...and there is a big difference along with a completely different skill-set. I don't see how Granger doesn't redshirt this year and ultimately I think it's going to benefit him and the program better down the road.





I think that a case can sometimes be made for players, if the depth is there, and especially bigger guys who can contribute as a freshman but are expected to have a much bigger upside as they mature, to go ahead and play a significant reserve role as a freshman and redshirt their second year. It might even be a good idea for Granger and Clayton to flip next season (Granger playing and Clayton redshirting). I think it gives the young player a major dose of what they are facing in real games and I would think contribute to their buy-in as to what they need to work on in preparation for the following season. Also, with Clayton being so young, this approach might be especially beneficial or him.


Talk to a DI coach today. With the transfer portal, all you are doing when you redshirt kids is developing them for someone else.
Back to Top
  
bobcatsquared
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,565

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 5 Thread: Mount St. Mary's
   Posted: 11/24/2021 10:29:20 AM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
Talk to a DI coach today. With the transfer portal, all you are doing when you redshirt kids is developing them for someone else.


There was a time when redshirting a player served a purpose. I still remember Danny Nee once saying his biggest regret during his days coaching OUr Bobcats was not redshirting a very raw John Devereaux.

However, I've been thinking it might not be such a smart idea for the likes of Ohio University to redshirt players with the more and more likelihood that the player will end up in the portal. Get as much playing time out of your players that they've earned while they're wearing a Bobcat uniform.
Back to Top
  
FearLeon
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 2,466

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 5 Thread: Mount St. Mary's
   Posted: 11/24/2021 11:13:28 AM 
bobcatsquared wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
Talk to a DI coach today. With the transfer portal, all you are doing when you redshirt kids is developing them for someone else.


There was a time when redshirting a player served a purpose. I still remember Danny Nee once saying his biggest regret during his days coaching OUr Bobcats was not redshirting a very raw John Devereaux.

However, I've been thinking it might not be such a smart idea for the likes of Ohio University to redshirt players with the more and more likelihood that the player will end up in the portal. Get as much playing time out of your players that they've earned while they're wearing a Bobcat uniform.


Very good points. Can’t disagree with any of it.



#BleedGreen #TrentIsGOAT

Back to Top
  
Jeff McKinney
Moderator

Member Since: 11/12/2004
Post Count: 5,471

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 5 Thread: Mount St. Mary's
   Posted: 11/24/2021 11:36:52 AM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
CatsUp wrote:
FearLeon wrote:
100%Cat wrote:
I've really been impressed with Clayton's lack of fear. For a kid who should be a HS senior right now, he's not timid in the least when he gets on the floor, no matter the situation.


Agree. Seeing some folks asking where's Granger. Compare Clayton confidence as a true frosh compared to Granger as a true frosh from a year ago...and there is a big difference along with a completely different skill-set. I don't see how Granger doesn't redshirt this year and ultimately I think it's going to benefit him and the program better down the road.





I think that a case can sometimes be made for players, if the depth is there, and especially bigger guys who can contribute as a freshman but are expected to have a much bigger upside as they mature, to go ahead and play a significant reserve role as a freshman and redshirt their second year. It might even be a good idea for Granger and Clayton to flip next season (Granger playing and Clayton redshirting). I think it gives the young player a major dose of what they are facing in real games and I would think contribute to their buy-in as to what they need to work on in preparation for the following season. Also, with Clayton being so young, this approach might be especially beneficial or him.


Talk to a DI coach today. With the transfer portal, all you are



doing when you redshirt kids is developing them for someone else.



Agree

Back to Top
  
greencat
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 1,055

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 5 Thread: Mount St. Mary's
   Posted: 11/24/2021 11:45:32 AM 
100%Cat wrote:
I've really been impressed with Clayton's lack of fear. For a kid who should be a HS senior right now, he's not timid in the least when he gets on the floor, no matter the situation.


He looks taller than the listed 6-7. Aren't many tall kids that age still growing? A 6-10 "stretch four" the next few season would certainly be a good thing. Think of the potential.
Back to Top
  
GroverBall
General User

Member Since: 12/3/2012
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 1,057

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 5 Thread: Mount St. Mary's
   Posted: 11/24/2021 12:25:17 PM 
greencat wrote:
100%Cat wrote:
I've really been impressed with Clayton's lack of fear. For a kid who should be a HS senior right now, he's not timid in the least when he gets on the floor, no matter the situation.


He looks taller than the listed 6-7. Aren't many tall kids that age still growing? A 6-10 "stretch four" the next few season would certainly be a good thing. Think of the potential.


FWIW our roster listing has him at 6-8 225. That passes the eye test? Of course if he gets to 6-10 and continues to shoot the three well and run the floor he's going to present a ton of problems for our opponents. I like his current contributions and certainly enjoy thinking of his potential.
Back to Top
  
CatsUp
General User

Member Since: 4/15/2019
Post Count: 452

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 5 Thread: Mount St. Mary's
   Posted: 11/24/2021 12:56:20 PM 
Jeff McKinney wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
CatsUp wrote:
FearLeon wrote:
100%Cat wrote:
I've really been impressed with Clayton's lack of fear. For a kid who should be a HS senior right now, he's not timid in the least when he gets on the floor, no matter the situation.


Agree. Seeing some folks asking where's Granger. Compare Clayton confidence as a true frosh compared to Granger as a true frosh from a year ago...and there is a big difference along with a completely different skill-set. I don't see how Granger doesn't redshirt this year and ultimately I think it's going to benefit him and the program better down the road.





I think that a case can sometimes be made for players, if the depth is there, and especially bigger guys who can contribute as a freshman but are expected to have a much bigger upside as they mature, to go ahead and play a significant reserve role as a freshman and redshirt their second year. It might even be a good idea for Granger and Clayton to flip next season (Granger playing and Clayton redshirting). I think it gives the young player a major dose of what they are facing in real games and I would think contribute to their buy-in as to what they need to work on in preparation for the following season. Also, with Clayton being so young, this approach might be especially beneficial or him.


Talk to a DI coach today. With the transfer portal, all you are



doing when you redshirt kids is developing them for someone else.



Agree



Thought of this when I mentioned it. Why I said “sometimes”. Depends on a lot of factors including this one.
Back to Top
  
Cellis033
General User

Member Since: 11/11/2021
Post Count: 67

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 5 Thread: Mount St. Mary's
   Posted: 11/24/2021 1:52:17 PM 
I joined in on the "Winning Team, Losing Team" chant the band was doing, I think I was the only one doing it in the student section...


Chase
Engineering Technology and Management '23

Back to Top
  
SBH
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,843

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 5 Thread: Mount St. Mary's
   Posted: 11/24/2021 4:00:12 PM 
bobcatsquared wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
Talk to a DI coach today. With the transfer portal, all you are doing when you redshirt kids is developing them for someone else.


There was a time when redshirting a player served a purpose. I still remember Danny Nee once saying his biggest regret during his days coaching OUr Bobcats was not redshirting a very raw John Devereaux.

However, I've been thinking it might not be such a smart idea for the likes of Ohio University to redshirt players with the more and more likelihood that the player will end up in the portal. Get as much playing time out of your players that they've earned while they're wearing a Bobcat uniform.


Would have expected Danny Nee most regretting allowing Victor Russell on the bus one cold morning.
Back to Top
  
FearLeon
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 2,466

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 5 Thread: Mount St. Mary's
   Posted: 11/24/2021 4:20:05 PM 
greencat wrote:
100%Cat wrote:
I've really been impressed with Clayton's lack of fear. For a kid who should be a HS senior right now, he's not timid in the least when he gets on the floor, no matter the situation.


He looks taller than the listed 6-7. Aren't many tall kids that age still growing? A 6-10 "stretch four" the next few season would certainly be a good thing. Think of the potential.


He does look taller than 6'7 and goodness if he can get to 6'9 or 6'10. Maybe he has one more growth spurt left. Regardless, AJ fits this program perfectly.


#BleedGreen #TrentIsGOAT

Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 4,316

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 5 Thread: Mount St. Mary's
   Posted: 11/24/2021 5:11:57 PM 
Anyplace coming from us that lists him at 6'7'' is just copying what was on his recruiting service profiles. I think he looks taller than Carter and BVP.
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  26 - 47  of 47 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2
View Other 'Ohio Basketball' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             




Copyright ©2021 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties