Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Basketball
Topic:  RE: TBT

Topic:  RE: TBT
Author
Message
100%Cat
General User



Member Since: 1/17/2013
Post Count: 2,140

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TBT
   Posted: 8/4/2022 9:28:00 AM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
100%Cat wrote:
rpbobcat wrote:
Andrew Ruck wrote:


Agree with this. My favorite thing about baseball and the biggest reason I am a baseball supremacist is the lack of a game clock. I hate how most all other major team sports are slaves to the clock and the final parts of the game are a totally different approach from the rest of the game.


Unfortunately, it looks like after this year's trial in the Minors, "Pitch Clocks"
will be coming the Majors.

Also looks like ,in the near future, computers will be calling "balls and strikes".





Honestly, and I preface this with I grew up with and love baseball, if the umpires can't get things right then they should be replaced. Games being decided by umpiring mistakes and these mistakes leading to players and managers being ejected from games, IMO, shouldn't still be a thing. When we have the ability to get it right, should we not get it right? Or should Angel Hernandez continue to be horrible at his job and decide games?


I agree 110%. While we are at it, can we fire every player who makes a mistake that costs games?


Apples and oranges, in my opinion, comparing player mistakes with umpiring/officiating mistakes. Player mistakes should decide games, rule implementation should not. It's one thing if a player gets called for traveling in a one point game with 5 seconds left. It's an entirely different thing to be called for traveling in that situation when you didn't travel.
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 8,139

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TBT
   Posted: 8/5/2022 2:58:41 PM 
100%Cat wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
100%Cat wrote:
rpbobcat wrote:
Andrew Ruck wrote:


Agree with this. My favorite thing about baseball and the biggest reason I am a baseball supremacist is the lack of a game clock. I hate how most all other major team sports are slaves to the clock and the final parts of the game are a totally different approach from the rest of the game.


Unfortunately, it looks like after this year's trial in the Minors, "Pitch Clocks"
will be coming the Majors.

Also looks like ,in the near future, computers will be calling "balls and strikes".





Honestly, and I preface this with I grew up with and love baseball, if the umpires can't get things right then they should be replaced. Games being decided by umpiring mistakes and these mistakes leading to players and managers being ejected from games, IMO, shouldn't still be a thing. When we have the ability to get it right, should we not get it right? Or should Angel Hernandez continue to be horrible at his job and decide games?


I agree 110%. While we are at it, can we fire every player who makes a mistake that costs games?


Apples and oranges, in my opinion, comparing player mistakes with umpiring/officiating mistakes. Player mistakes should decide games, rule implementation should not. It's one thing if a player gets called for traveling in a one point game with 5 seconds left. It's an entirely different thing to be called for traveling in that situation when you didn't travel.


Yeah, I often see that phantom travel called. such a problem in sports when officials just go make stuff up. I am sure you could do better, ought to give it a try. https://www.sayyestoofficiating.com/become-a-sports-offic... /
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 12,271

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TBT
   Posted: 8/5/2022 9:50:39 PM 
How about the phantom announcer travel call? This is when the radio announcer says, “he traveled, but no call.” However, in actuality the guy didn’t travel and the official was right in not calling it. This is true of both TV and radio announcers. They always like to second-guess officials and they are nearly always wrong.


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
100%Cat
General User



Member Since: 1/17/2013
Post Count: 2,140

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TBT
   Posted: 8/8/2022 8:00:59 AM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
100%Cat wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
100%Cat wrote:
rpbobcat wrote:
Andrew Ruck wrote:


Agree with this. My favorite thing about baseball and the biggest reason I am a baseball supremacist is the lack of a game clock. I hate how most all other major team sports are slaves to the clock and the final parts of the game are a totally different approach from the rest of the game.


Unfortunately, it looks like after this year's trial in the Minors, "Pitch Clocks"
will be coming the Majors.

Also looks like ,in the near future, computers will be calling "balls and strikes".





Honestly, and I preface this with I grew up with and love baseball, if the umpires can't get things right then they should be replaced. Games being decided by umpiring mistakes and these mistakes leading to players and managers being ejected from games, IMO, shouldn't still be a thing. When we have the ability to get it right, should we not get it right? Or should Angel Hernandez continue to be horrible at his job and decide games?


I agree 110%. While we are at it, can we fire every player who makes a mistake that costs games?


Apples and oranges, in my opinion, comparing player mistakes with umpiring/officiating mistakes. Player mistakes should decide games, rule implementation should not. It's one thing if a player gets called for traveling in a one point game with 5 seconds left. It's an entirely different thing to be called for traveling in that situation when you didn't travel.


Yeah, I often see that phantom travel called. such a problem in sports when officials just go make stuff up. I am sure you could do better, ought to give it a try. https://www.sayyestoofficiating.com/become-a-sports-offic... /


So you think me suggesting that technology to eliminate umpiring mistakes translates to me saying that I can do better? Interesting logic there.
Back to Top
  
OUVan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Bethesda, MD
Post Count: 5,556

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TBT
   Posted: 8/8/2022 9:31:02 AM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
How about the phantom announcer travel call? This is when the radio announcer says, “he traveled, but no call.” However, in actuality the guy didn’t travel and the official was right in not calling it. This is true of both TV and radio announcers. They always like to second-guess officials and they are nearly always wrong.


Hah, it's also applicable to the fan travel calls. I took video of my son's games for years and found that I should never, ever put on the striped shirt. I still get caught up in the heat of the moment but try not to be "aggressively wrong" as much anymore.
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 12,271

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: TBT
   Posted: 8/8/2022 5:16:13 PM 
OUVan wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
How about the phantom announcer travel call? This is when the radio announcer says, “he traveled, but no call.” However, in actuality the guy didn’t travel and the official was right in not calling it. This is true of both TV and radio announcers. They always like to second-guess officials and they are nearly always wrong.


Hah, it's also applicable to the fan travel calls. I took video of my son's games for years and found that I should never, ever put on the striped shirt. I still get caught up in the heat of the moment but try not to be "aggressively wrong" as much anymore.


Yep, the berserk parent calls are in a category all to themselves. There’s certain former Athens High girls basketball coach whose ears are still burning from one infamous tirade of mine!


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  51 - 56  of 56 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3
View Other 'Ohio Basketball' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             





Copyright ©2022 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties