Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Basketball
Topic:  RE: Official Game 1 Thread: Belmont

Topic:  RE: Official Game 1 Thread: Belmont
Author
Message
Eagle66
General User

Member Since: 3/13/2005
Location: Cleveland, OH
Post Count: 1,293

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 1 Thread: Belmont
   Posted: 11/8/2022 1:52:13 PM 
shabamon wrote:
Still a tough one to accept the morning after. My thoughts:

-I don't see the Bean Willis comparison. We brought Baker in specifically to be a scoring guard option. When all was said and done with our departures following last season, the clear need was someone who could create his own shot and be a primary scoring option. Many people on this board concurred. When Devon Baker pulls up and clanks a three with 25 seconds on the shot clock, then we'll talk.

-The Baker/Hunter duo is going to take some time to gel. Remember that Baker wasn't available for the Spain trip.

-I thought Belmont got away with a lot of jersey grabbing and other swiping contact especially against Wilson in the paint. This is just one example, but look at what all Dwight had to deal with without getting a call: https://twitter.com/OhioMBasketball/status/15897946718445...

-I hope Clayton has added something in his offensive game other than being a spot shooter. Post ups, mid range, drives. Didn't see it last night. He has at least seemed to improve his rebounding.

-The turnovers were disconcerting, but the worst are the ones where we secure a defensive rebound, then try to throw the outlet to a guard cutting up the floor, only for that pass to get intercepted before the ball even gets to the frontcourt. It's careless amateur level basketball and it happened a couple times last night.

-I was expecting worse from Wiz based off the Capital report, but he at least looked serviceable. The spin move and off hand shot he made looked good and he had another nice move that got called for a travel that I honestly didn't see.


Shab, you summed up a lot of what I was thinking too, especially the outlet pass live ball turnovers. Extremely frustrating to watch.

I don't get the assignment of blame to one person on the last Belmont shot. I agree with the previous post that It appeared to me to be a switch everything defense.

I really liked the fight coming back from the double digit deficit. Just keep learning and improving. I'm glad basketballs back.
Back to Top
  
Victory
General User

Member Since: 3/10/2012
Post Count: 1,416

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 1 Thread: Belmont
   Posted: 11/8/2022 2:01:53 PM 
Guess what buzzer beater made #1 on ESPN's top 10.
Back to Top
  
OUVan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Bethesda, MD
Post Count: 5,563

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 1 Thread: Belmont
   Posted: 11/8/2022 2:30:56 PM 
FJC31 wrote:

To be clear, I see where the Bean vibes come. However, I absolutely agree Baker was a necessary add that late in the portal season and we’re better off with than without. To FearLeon’s point, if he falls between a Bassett and Bean we’re in good shape. That seems more likely than another Bean.

Hunter/Baker also hit big 3’s when we really needed some offensive life.


The problem we had with Bean was that he was the primary ballhandler. When he played off the ball under Christian he was more effective. Hopefully Hunter gets more comfortable as a facilitator than he was last night because we really need someone that can run the offense. That being said, it's hard to throw so many new pieces together and expected a finely tuned machine out of the gate. If we can get effective PG play Dwight Wilson will be 1st team All-MAC. If not, it's going to be a long year. One thing is for certain a 1-2 A/TO ratio isn't going to cut it.
Back to Top
  
Bobcat1998
General User

Member Since: 11/7/2012
Post Count: 1,923

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 1 Thread: Belmont
   Posted: 11/8/2022 2:56:38 PM 
Boals has experienced more hoops than I have forgotten but I am surprised by the lack of Adelodun. Belmont beat us, partly, due to length. I would have loved Olumide out there on the last play with the only job of keeping an arm up on the frosh. You never know but he seems like he would not hurt us too bad.
Back to Top
  
MonroeClassmate
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2010
Post Count: 1,680

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 1 Thread: Belmont
   Posted: 11/9/2022 8:49:30 AM 
FearLeon wrote:
shabamon wrote:
Still a tough one to accept the morning after. My thoughts:
-I hope Clayton has added something in his offensive game other than being a spot shooter. Post ups, mid range, drives. Didn't see it last night. He has at least seemed to improve his rebounding.


Spot on. With his length, needs to show a post move and a baseline 8-12 foot jumper game. I honestly can't remember the last time he scored in the paint making a move. It's usually off an offensive board.


Wasn't that the same thing the board said BVP lacked in his first several years in the green and white?
Back to Top
  
spongeBOB CATpants
General User



Member Since: 8/16/2016
Post Count: 622

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 1 Thread: Belmont
   Posted: 11/9/2022 9:17:51 AM 
MonroeClassmate wrote:
FearLeon wrote:
shabamon wrote:
Still a tough one to accept the morning after. My thoughts:
-I hope Clayton has added something in his offensive game other than being a spot shooter. Post ups, mid range, drives. Didn't see it last night. He has at least seemed to improve his rebounding.


Spot on. With his length, needs to show a post move and a baseline 8-12 foot jumper game. I honestly can't remember the last time he scored in the paint making a move. It's usually off an offensive board.


Wasn't that the same thing the board said BVP lacked in his first several years in the green and white?


BVP is on another level athletically than Clayton. AJ is still super young and has plenty of time/opportunity to develop but I would not expect him to develop post skills like BVP did. That being said, I think Clayton is a much better shooter.
Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 194

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 1 Thread: Belmont
   Posted: 11/9/2022 10:38:31 AM 
Bobcat1998 wrote:
Boals has experienced more hoops than I have forgotten but I am surprised by the lack of Adelodun. Belmont beat us, partly, due to length. I would have loved Olumide out there on the last play with the only job of keeping an arm up on the frosh. You never know but he seems like he would not hurt us too bad.


Yea, I’d like to see more of this. I mean, he he can shadow a teams opposing 2 or 3 with his length; he provides a lot of value on the defensive side at worst. I hope he gets worked into the rotation to see if that’s possible.

Last Edited: 11/9/2022 10:39:30 AM by FJC31

Back to Top
  
FearLeon
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 3,021

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 1 Thread: Belmont
   Posted: 11/9/2022 11:31:11 AM 
FJC31 wrote:
Bobcat1998 wrote:
Boals has experienced more hoops than I have forgotten but I am surprised by the lack of Adelodun. Belmont beat us, partly, due to length. I would have loved Olumide out there on the last play with the only job of keeping an arm up on the frosh. You never know but he seems like he would not hurt us too bad.


Yea, I’d like to see more of this. I mean, he he can shadow a teams opposing 2 or 3 with his length; he provides a lot of value on the defensive side at worst. I hope he gets worked into the rotation to see if that’s possible.


If not...he's in the portal next year. Don't see why he would stay if he wants to actually try and play.


#BleedGreen #TrentIsGOAT

Back to Top
  
100%Cat
General User



Member Since: 1/17/2013
Post Count: 2,213

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 1 Thread: Belmont
   Posted: 11/9/2022 11:36:04 AM 
OUVan wrote:
FJC31 wrote:

To be clear, I see where the Bean vibes come. However, I absolutely agree Baker was a necessary add that late in the portal season and we’re better off with than without. To FearLeon’s point, if he falls between a Bassett and Bean we’re in good shape. That seems more likely than another Bean.

Hunter/Baker also hit big 3’s when we really needed some offensive life.


The problem we had with Bean was that he was the primary ballhandler. When he played off the ball under Christian he was more effective. Hopefully Hunter gets more comfortable as a facilitator than he was last night because we really need someone that can run the offense. That being said, it's hard to throw so many new pieces together and expected a finely tuned machine out of the gate. If we can get effective PG play Dwight Wilson will be 1st team All-MAC. If not, it's going to be a long year. One thing is for certain a 1-2 A/TO ratio isn't going to cut it.


I'll never forget the way Bean WIllis handled the press. Yeeeeeks. He won us some games because he could get crazy hot as a shooter but a ball handler he was not.
Back to Top
  
oubobcatjohn
General User

Member Since: 1/1/2005
Post Count: 773

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 1 Thread: Belmont
   Posted: 11/10/2022 12:19:21 AM 
Not bad first game. Tough road game down to the buzzer. Impressed they fought to the end. Going to take time replacing what we lost. New lineups chemistry. We were spoiled last two years having lineups with guys playing together 2 to 3 years or more together. I think they will be fine. Key is health and with DW3 showing he all the way back. Non-conference is time to throw the freshmen out there and see how they react. Perfectly fine with Boals putting freshmen out there. He trying to see what he has. Can they handle it and who earns those minutes later in the year. We got two months to break in these guys before MAC play. That is when it really matters. Does he have a DJ Cooper, Trent, Fears or Williams that emerges as an all MAC freshmen in this class. Got to play them and find out.
Back to Top
  
Andrew Ruck
General User



Member Since: 12/22/2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 4,008

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 1 Thread: Belmont
   Posted: 11/10/2022 9:25:52 AM 
I didn't see the game just the highlight of the buzzer beater...did anyone say why they were able to inbound the ball from up the court? Is that the rule now at the nd of the game like the NBA. That was the only reason we lost. Doesn't seem fair to me...if you grab a lead with 1.2 seconds the other team should have an impossible full length lob and shot task ahead of them.

In regards to the rough stretch with a bench heavy lineup...we discussed this last year as well. Boals seems to like the "line change" philosophy bringing in a cluster of guys at the same time and sticking with them for whatever pre-determined stretch in the middle of the half.


Andrew Ruck
B.B.A. 2003

Back to Top
  
JSF
General User



Member Since: 1/29/2005
Location: Houston, TX
Post Count: 6,087

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 1 Thread: Belmont
   Posted: 11/10/2022 10:02:18 AM 
They inbounded to the front court from under the basket and immediately called timeout.


"Loyalty to a hometown or city is fleeting and interchangeable, but college is a stamp of identity."- Kyle Whelliston, One Beautiful Season.

My blog about depression and mental illness: https://bit.ly/3buGXH8

Back to Top
  
FearLeon
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 3,021

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 1 Thread: Belmont
   Posted: 11/10/2022 10:06:47 AM 
JSF wrote:
They inbounded to the front court from under the basket and immediately called timeout.


Nobody though has been able to explain why after catching the ball at half-court, they were able to throw it inbounds from in front of their bench? They don't get that catch and shoot if ball is thrown in from where the timeout was called.

Can anyone with better knowledge of the rules of the game explain this?


#BleedGreen #TrentIsGOAT

Back to Top
  
spongeBOB CATpants
General User



Member Since: 8/16/2016
Post Count: 622

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 1 Thread: Belmont
   Posted: 11/10/2022 10:15:38 AM 
I swear they inbounded from where they caught the ball and called timeout. Multiple posts are saying otherwise.
Back to Top
  
JSF
General User



Member Since: 1/29/2005
Location: Houston, TX
Post Count: 6,087

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 1 Thread: Belmont
   Posted: 11/10/2022 11:08:43 AM 
I checked. The timeout is called a couple feet past the halfcourt line and the ball is inbounded from just past the bench at the hash. I think this is kosher, but I am not positive.


"Loyalty to a hometown or city is fleeting and interchangeable, but college is a stamp of identity."- Kyle Whelliston, One Beautiful Season.

My blog about depression and mental illness: https://bit.ly/3buGXH8

Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 5,092

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 1 Thread: Belmont
   Posted: 11/10/2022 11:19:49 AM 
Yeah, it's about a 20 foot difference between where the timeout was called and where the throw-in occurred.

If that's legal, Why couldn't they just elect to advance the ball to the front court immediately following our made shot, like the women and the NBA? Why did they have to go through the trouble of a baseline throw-in?
Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 8,849

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 1 Thread: Belmont
   Posted: 11/10/2022 11:22:19 AM 
I just looked at the replay. He caught the ball just over the center line, maybe a foot over. After the refs put 1.1 on the clock one of them pointed to the floor in front of the Belmont bench and Belmont inbounded at the coach's box line at the end of their bench. Maybe some rule requiring it? It gave them a better angle for the play but I'm not sure it made much difference.

Edit: Under Rule 7, Sect 3, Art 2.a., because Belmont called a timeout with possession in the frontcourt, the ball was inbounded at the nearest 28-foot line. If Ohio had knocked the ball out of bounds, it would've been inbounded at the spot it went out.

Last Edited: 11/10/2022 11:39:16 AM by Pataskala


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
M.D.W.S.T
General User



Member Since: 12/23/2021
Post Count: 220

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 1 Thread: Belmont
   Posted: 11/10/2022 12:05:07 PM 
spongeBOB CATpants wrote:
M.D.W.S.T wrote:
FearLeon wrote:
spongeBOB CATpants wrote:
Some random thoughts from the morning after:



4) Maybe its just me but I got some Bean Willis vibes from DeVon Baker.



I texted the same thing last night to an Ohio buddy. It's only one game, but 5-16 from the field won't have us beating the top 3 teams in the conference.




Someone has to be the PG. Didn't seem like any of the four last night wanted it.



I also thought we looked pretty gassed, especially in the first half.


100% and for a team that notoriously goes 7 deep... Boals played ELEVEN.

Only two players played more than 27 minutes, and Baker only played 33. Miles played 31.
Back to Top
  
greencat
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 1,343

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 1 Thread: Belmont
   Posted: 11/12/2022 12:22:06 AM 
Belmont gives up 52 second half points to take a solid beating by Furman tonight.

Back to Top
  
Andrew Ruck
General User



Member Since: 12/22/2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 4,008

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 1 Thread: Belmont
   Posted: 11/12/2022 5:59:05 PM 
Pataskala wrote:
I just looked at the replay. He caught the ball just over the center line, maybe a foot over. After the refs put 1.1 on the clock one of them pointed to the floor in front of the Belmont bench and Belmont inbounded at the coach's box line at the end of their bench. Maybe some rule requiring it? It gave them a better angle for the play but I'm not sure it made much difference.

Edit: Under Rule 7, Sect 3, Art 2.a., because Belmont called a timeout with possession in the frontcourt, the ball was inbounded at the nearest 28-foot line. If Ohio had knocked the ball out of bounds, it would've been inbounded at the spot it went out.


So what was the time on the clock? We hit the shot with about 1.2...did they really not take ANY time off from the catch and timeout play?


Andrew Ruck
B.B.A. 2003

Back to Top
  
longtiimelurker
General User

Member Since: 2/2/2017
Post Count: 529

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 1 Thread: Belmont
   Posted: 11/13/2022 6:37:35 PM 
Ohio's Bobcat wrote:
Boals Bullshit....




I read your analysis and wondered where the anger is coming from? Seems like a pretty violent reaction as a new season starts and line ups are getting some run. Just trying to figure this one out.

Back to Top
  
CatsUp
General User

Member Since: 4/15/2019
Post Count: 634

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 1 Thread: Belmont
   Posted: 11/14/2022 9:57:10 PM 
Belmont loses to Lipscomb tonight 77-75. Belmont had beaten them six in a row.
Back to Top
  
Andrew Ruck
General User



Member Since: 12/22/2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 4,008

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 1 Thread: Belmont
   Posted: 11/15/2022 8:00:40 AM 
Might be turning into a bad loss.


Andrew Ruck
B.B.A. 2003

Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 194

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 1 Thread: Belmont
   Posted: 11/15/2022 8:31:13 AM 
Andrew Ruck wrote:
Might be turning into a bad loss.


Could be. But those happen often this time of year. TCU lost to Northwestern STATE last night.

Last Edited: 11/15/2022 8:35:42 AM by FJC31

Back to Top
  
greencat
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 1,343

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 1 Thread: Belmont
   Posted: 11/15/2022 11:17:29 PM 
FJC31 wrote:
Andrew Ruck wrote:
Might be turning into a bad loss.


Could be. But those happen often this time of year. TCU lost to Northwestern STATE last night.


Syracuse blown out by Colgate tonight.
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  101 - 125  of 125 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
View Other 'Ohio Basketball' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             







Copyright ©2022 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties