Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Basketball
Topic:  RE: 2023 Transfer Portal

Topic:  RE: 2023 Transfer Portal
Author
Message
BobcatSports
General User

Member Since: 2/2/2006
Post Count: 1,047

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/13/2023 11:12:57 AM 
For the mid-majors of the world aka the ďlittle brotherĒ division! ALL players have become One Year Rentals. Fell for the Jeff Boalsí of the coaching world, a tough job to begin with has become a never ending recruiting night mare.
Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 709

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/13/2023 11:44:29 AM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
shabamon wrote:
That makes CMU's three best guards gone.

Gotta go back to that Reggie Bass announcement. In addition to getting the school's name wrong, he points out it was "nothing but love" from all the coaches. So... why ya leaving?


Because, the Mid Major scene is like a starter job in your new profession, now you look to move up and more opportunities. That's what it has become.


This isnít true. 60% of players who transferred up saw all of their numbers ó minutes, points, etc. decline. Mid-major players are overvaluing themselves based on the attention theyíre getting.

I canít access the Athletic article from earlier this year, but transferring down for more PT outnumbered those transferring up by a pretty significant amount. The ďmore opportunitiesĒ narrative is statistically false and the portal doesnít favor P5ís as shown by the data.

Youíll still have guys going up, but I donít think mid-majors are at a total disadvantage like it appears at service level.

Last Edited: 3/13/2023 11:50:27 AM by FJC31

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 8,941

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/13/2023 12:55:59 PM 
FJC31 wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
shabamon wrote:
That makes CMU's three best guards gone.

Gotta go back to that Reggie Bass announcement. In addition to getting the school's name wrong, he points out it was "nothing but love" from all the coaches. So... why ya leaving?


Because, the Mid Major scene is like a starter job in your new profession, now you look to move up and more opportunities. That's what it has become.


This isnít true. 60% of players who transferred up saw all of their numbers ó minutes, points, etc. decline. Mid-major players are overvaluing themselves based on the attention theyíre getting.

I canít access the Athletic article from earlier this year, but transferring down for more PT outnumbered those transferring up by a pretty significant amount. The ďmore opportunitiesĒ narrative is statistically false and the portal doesnít favor P5ís as shown by the data.

Youíll still have guys going up, but I donít think mid-majors are at a total disadvantage like it appears at service level.


I know it's false, statistics tell us this. But 19/20 year old kids don't understand this? And be careful stating that more players go down then go up, will get somebody all fired up.

Last Edited: 3/13/2023 12:57:43 PM by BillyTheCat

Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Post Count: 6,642

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/13/2023 2:45:58 PM 
A 7 footer from Minnesota? Didn't have a ton of games where he played extended minutes, but had 8/8 against Indiana and scored 8 against CMU.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamel...

https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/treyton-thompson

Another guy who could fit our need in the athletic wing realm, Pierce Thomas from Butler.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/...

https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/pierce-thomas

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/10426086/60450c57da50c809840...
Back to Top
  
Bobcat1998
General User

Member Since: 11/7/2012
Post Count: 2,080

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/13/2023 3:28:47 PM 
GoCats105 wrote:
A 7 footer from Minnesota? Didn't have a ton of games where he played extended minutes, but had 8/8 against Indiana and scored 8 against CMU.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamel...

https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/treyton-thompson

Another guy who could fit our need in the athletic wing realm, Pierce Thomas from Butler.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/...

https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/pierce-thomas

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/10426086/60450c57da50c809840...


So your solution for help is another 7-footer who went to a big school and played very little and looks like a project (sound like anyone we know?)...and a 6-foot-5 guard who would muddy up our already-large guard contingent? Come on people. Think: Ali Ali, Josh Mballa or Miryne Thomas/Chris Payton here!
Back to Top
  
greencat
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 1,611

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/13/2023 3:30:47 PM 
BREAKING:

Belmont center Evan Brauns (6-9/250) just hit the portal
Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Post Count: 6,642

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/13/2023 3:38:31 PM 
Bobcat1998 wrote:
GoCats105 wrote:
A 7 footer from Minnesota? Didn't have a ton of games where he played extended minutes, but had 8/8 against Indiana and scored 8 against CMU.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamel...

https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/treyton-thompson

Another guy who could fit our need in the athletic wing realm, Pierce Thomas from Butler.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/...

https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/pierce-thomas

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/10426086/60450c57da50c809840...


So your solution for help is another 7-footer who went to a big school and played very little and looks like a project (sound like anyone we know?)...and a 6-foot-5 guard who would muddy up our already-large guard contingent? Come on people. Think: Ali Ali, Josh Mballa or Miryne Thomas/Chris Payton here!


To be perfectly frank, I don't think we can get much worse in the front court. A guy who accounts for 8/8 against Indiana in a close game this year is miles ahead of Wiz, IMO. And did you even watch the Pierce Thomas tape? He's got Walt Offutt written all over him. I'm not sure if you remember this, but we had a pretty loaded back court when he came here too. That's the athletic wing type we need.

Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 709

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/13/2023 7:42:27 PM 
Letís get the rumor/speculation mill churning. Boals (Lamar following Cohen) is following these guys on Twitter. Cohen is a hot commodity and McKoy entered the portal like an hour ago. The other two are interesting D2 players that fit more of the long wing type we all desire.

Included links to the D2 guys, since itís pretty easy to find stuff on Cohen and McKoy.

Jaylen Wells
https://sonomaseawolves.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster...
https://twitter.com/tp4pt/status/1633209760970575872?s=46...

Daniel Sofield
https://goargos.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/daniel-...
https://twitter.com/d_sof2/status/1631841709830164486?s=4...

Josh Cohen - St. Francis
Justin McKoy - UNC

Last Edited: 3/13/2023 7:42:57 PM by FJC31

Back to Top
  
Ted Thompson
Administrator



Member Since: 11/11/2004
Location: MAC Play
Post Count: 7,160

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/13/2023 8:16:15 PM 

 


Follow Ohio Football recruiting on the BobcatAttack.com football recruiting database.

Back to Top
  
72 Guy
General User

Member Since: 11/19/2022
Post Count: 5

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/13/2023 8:26:59 PM 
Big body with some mobility. Braun didnít look overmatched vs Wilson during Game 1 this year. I wouldnít say he is a force but I would say he is MAC starter level material. Would be a good sign. But would still need a second comparable piece. Maybe Izuma?
Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 2,890

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/13/2023 9:11:29 PM 
FJC31 wrote:
Letís get the rumor/speculation mill churning. Boals (Lamar following Cohen) is following these guys on Twitter. Cohen is a hot commodity and McKoy entered the portal like an hour ago. The other two are interesting D2 players that fit more of the long wing type we all desire.

Included links to the D2 guys, since itís pretty easy to find stuff on Cohen and McKoy.

Jaylen Wells
https://sonomaseawolves.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster...
https://twitter.com/tp4pt/status/1633209760970575872?s=46...

Daniel Sofield
https://goargos.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/daniel-...
https://twitter.com/d_sof2/status/1631841709830164486?s=4...

Josh Cohen - St. Francis
Justin McKoy - UNC


I'd take either of or both of those wings.

But pass on a 7 footers from a 2-17 Big Ten team.
Back to Top
  
MonroeClassmate
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2010
Post Count: 1,874

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/13/2023 11:20:48 PM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
FJC31 wrote:
Letís get the rumor/speculation mill churning. Boals (Lamar following Cohen) is following these guys on Twitter. Cohen is a hot commodity and McKoy entered the portal like an hour ago. The other two are interesting D2 players that fit more of the long wing type we all desire.

Included links to the D2 guys, since itís pretty easy to find stuff on Cohen and McKoy.

Jaylen Wells
https://sonomaseawolves.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster...
https://twitter.com/tp4pt/status/1633209760970575872?s=46...

Daniel Sofield
https://goargos.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/daniel-...
https://twitter.com/d_sof2/status/1631841709830164486?s=4...

Josh Cohen - St. Francis
Justin McKoy - UNC


I'd take either of or both of those wings.

But pass on a 7 footers from a 2-17 Big Ten team.


Sofield better three point % of the two and 15 pounds heavier. But does he have speed and defensive skills to go with it?

Last Edited: 3/13/2023 11:21:14 PM by MonroeClassmate

Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 709

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/14/2023 7:58:41 AM 
MonroeClassmate wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
FJC31 wrote:
Letís get the rumor/speculation mill churning. Boals (Lamar following Cohen) is following these guys on Twitter. Cohen is a hot commodity and McKoy entered the portal like an hour ago. The other two are interesting D2 players that fit more of the long wing type we all desire.

Included links to the D2 guys, since itís pretty easy to find stuff on Cohen and McKoy.

Jaylen Wells
https://sonomaseawolves.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster...
https://twitter.com/tp4pt/status/1633209760970575872?s=46...

Daniel Sofield
https://goargos.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/daniel-...
https://twitter.com/d_sof2/status/1631841709830164486?s=4...

Josh Cohen - St. Francis
Justin McKoy - UNC


I'd take either of or both of those wings.

But pass on a 7 footers from a 2-17 Big Ten team.


Sofield better three point % of the two and 15 pounds heavier. But does he have speed and defensive skills to go with it?


Sofield is probably a solid rotational piece given his size and ability to shoot the 3. Not sure what heíd offer defensively. Heís a grad transfer so what you see is likely what you get.

Wells offers a bit more upside; going into his junior year. His numbers spike quite a bit between freshman and sophomore seasons. He also appears to be more athletic; so there might be some growth to still be had even going from D2 to D1.

Either way, I like where Boalsí head is at early on.

Last Edited: 3/14/2023 7:59:19 AM by FJC31

Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 5,636

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/14/2023 8:25:48 AM 
Gonna be a near complete reset at Central Michigan. 6-11 center Nicolas Pavrette in the portal.
Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 709

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/14/2023 8:58:21 AM 
Myles Stute (Vandy), Eddy Lampkin (TCU), Treyton Thompson (Minnesota), Kenny Pohto (Wichita State) are new guys Boals is following since last night.
Back to Top
  
greencat
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 1,611

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/14/2023 10:22:51 AM 
FJC31 wrote:
Myles Stute (Vandy), Eddy Lampkin (TCU), Treyton Thompson (Minnesota), Kenny Pohto (Wichita State) are new guys Boals is following since last night.


Did you see Stute's offer list out of h.s. - ??

Clemson
Oklahoma State
Cincinnati
Marquette
Penn State
Pitt
Texas A&M
Villanova
Virginia Tech
Iowa
Back to Top
  
Kevin Finnegan
General User

Member Since: 2/4/2005
Location: Rockton, IL
Post Count: 1,042

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/14/2023 10:28:54 AM 
It must say something about Boals and the team dynamic that nobody immediately submitted for transfer portal after end of season. There's likely some discussion and deliberation going on with a number of the players, but at other schools, it seemed as though the season couldn't end fast enough for players to enter the portal. Our season has now been done for four days and not a single player, bench or starter, has yet to list their willingness to seek other opportunities. I keep checking to see the first shoe to drop but am pleasantly surprised by the delay.
Back to Top
  
M.D.W.S.T
General User



Member Since: 12/23/2021
Post Count: 838

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/14/2023 10:29:02 AM 
FJC31 wrote:
Myles Stute (Vandy), Eddy Lampkin (TCU), Treyton Thompson (Minnesota), Kenny Pohto (Wichita State) are new guys Boals is following since last night.


I like your style, now is there any way we can track flights to and from Athens Airport?
Back to Top
  
bobcatsquared
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 4,560

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/14/2023 10:32:56 AM 
Kevin Finnegan wrote:
It must say something about Boals and the team dynamic that nobody immediately submitted for transfer portal after end of season. There's likely some discussion and deliberation going on with a number of the players, but at other schools, it seemed as though the season couldn't end fast enough for players to enter the portal. Our season has now been done for four days and not a single player, bench or starter, has yet to list their willingness to seek other opportunities. I keep checking to see the first shoe to drop but am pleasantly surprised by the delay.


I've been thinking the same but wasn't going to share those thoughts on BA out of fear of jinxing the dynamics.

Last Edited: 3/14/2023 10:33:14 AM by bobcatsquared

Back to Top
  
LuckySparrow
General User



Member Since: 10/15/2012
Location: Illinois
Post Count: 1,554

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/14/2023 10:40:14 AM 
bobcatsquared wrote:
Kevin Finnegan wrote:
It must say something about Boals and the team dynamic that nobody immediately submitted for transfer portal after end of season. There's likely some discussion and deliberation going on with a number of the players, but at other schools, it seemed as though the season couldn't end fast enough for players to enter the portal. Our season has now been done for four days and not a single player, bench or starter, has yet to list their willingness to seek other opportunities. I keep checking to see the first shoe to drop but am pleasantly surprised by the delay.


I've been thinking the same but wasn't going to share those thoughts on BA out of fear of jinxing the dynamics.


Been thinking the same thing, too. I was going to comment yesterday: "Good sign that no Ohio players have entered the portal yet?"

It is still early and I'm guessing a name or two could enter.


What a day at the Convo.....Wow!

Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 5,636

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/14/2023 10:49:30 AM 
I will say this about our current roster and who could return: there's not a single player where I think it would be best for them and our program if they move on. In the last two offseasons there have been multiple players who fit that, but I do see the potential in everyone to be a helpful, important piece.
Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Post Count: 6,642

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/14/2023 11:16:13 AM 
shabamon wrote:
Gonna be a near complete reset at Central Michigan. 6-11 center Nicolas Pavrette in the portal.


BG in this boat as well.
Back to Top
  
Kevin Finnegan
General User

Member Since: 2/4/2005
Location: Rockton, IL
Post Count: 1,042

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/14/2023 11:38:12 AM 
Was thinking, with all this MAC movement, who was the last MAC player to transfer to OHIO? I know Sam Towns transferred out of OHIO and stayed in MAC, but is our last OHIO player Bubba Walther? He was a good one for us.
Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 5,636

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/14/2023 11:44:31 AM 
GoCats105 wrote:
shabamon wrote:
Gonna be a near complete reset at Central Michigan. 6-11 center Nicolas Pavrette in the portal.


BG in this boat as well.


No kidding..

Etim, Matheny, and Turner joining Agee in the portal from BG

Caleb Hodgson now leaving Central
Back to Top
  
Bobcat1998
General User

Member Since: 11/7/2012
Post Count: 2,080

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/14/2023 11:46:37 AM 
JOHN FREAKIN HUGHLEY IS IN THE PORTAL. FORMER TEAMMATE OF EJ4...GO GET'EM!!!
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  76 - 100  of 1253 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Basketball' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             







Copyright ©2023 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties