Mike Johnson
General User

Member Since: 11/11/2004

Message Not Read  RE: NIL in Ohio High Schools
   Posted: 4/5/2022 10:57:00 PM 
Alan Swank wrote:
The vote is coming:

https://www.dispatch.com/story/sports/high-school/2022/04... /

Hmmm...Perhaps kids serving on Student Council or with the Latin Club or marching in the band can sell their images to the local Rotary Club. Yeah, I know, far-fetched. Or is it?

http://www.facebook.com/mikejohnson.author

BobcatsWin
General User

Member Since: 3/14/2005

Posted: 4/7/2022 12:11:54 PM 
Mike Johnson wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
The vote is coming:

https://www.dispatch.com/story/sports/high-school/2022/04... /

Hmmm...Perhaps kids serving on Student Council or with the Latin Club or marching in the band can sell their images to the local Rotary Club. Yeah, I know, far-fetched. Or is it?

What would prevent the kids on student council or latin club or marching band from selling their images? If there were a market for it, I'm not sure what's stopping them.

SBH
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004

Posted: 4/8/2022 8:56:00 AM 
Heard a radio interview yesterday in which the host claimed a high school coach told him that parents are already "pimping out" their kids to other schools, i.e., "What are you going to be able to do for me to get/keep my son."

This is toxic.

The Optimist
General User

Member Since: 3/16/2007

Posted: 4/8/2022 1:11:11 PM 
SBH wrote:
Heard a radio interview yesterday in which the host claimed a high school coach told him that parents are already "pimping out" their kids to other schools, i.e., "What are you going to be able to do for me to get/keep my son."

This is toxic.

I don't view this as toxic. This country was a better place before child labor laws. It's about time kids learned the value of a hard day's work on the athletic fields. Time for high schools to pay up!

I've seen crazier things happen.

spongeBOB CATpants
General User

Member Since: 8/16/2016

Posted: 4/12/2022 3:40:52 PM 
SBH wrote:

This is toxic.

You could say that youth sports in general are toxic in 2022. Just saw a tweet where a woman umpiring 12u fast pitch got rocked in the eye by a disgruntled parent as she was walking to her car to leave.

Parents are wild these days.

bobcatsquared
General User

Posted: 4/12/2022 4:29:17 PM 
spongeBOB CATpants wrote:
You could say that youth sports in general are toxic in 2022. Just saw a tweet where a woman umpiring 12u fast pitch got rocked in the eye by a disgruntled parent as she was walking to her car to leave.

Parents are wild these days.

Which is one of the reasons the Great Resignation began before the pandemic in the field of youth/high school officiating.

greencat
General User

Member Since: 3/12/2005

Posted: 4/18/2022 8:48:27 PM 
The Optimist wrote:
SBH wrote:

This is toxic.

I don't view this as toxic. This country was a better place before child labor laws. It's about time kids learned the value of a hard day's work on the athletic fields. Time for high schools to pay up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-irkxy9zhUY

BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012

Posted: 5/23/2022 12:39:46 PM 
Failed 2:1 margin

bobcatsquared
General User

Posted: 5/23/2022 2:37:44 PM 
Correct, BTC. But will only be temporary.

BillyTheCat
General User

Posted: 5/24/2022 7:59:17 AM 
bobcatsquared wrote:

Yep, as soon as NIL enters the neighboring states, the vote will change.

bobcatsquared
General User

Posted: 5/24/2022 8:10:27 AM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
bobcatsquared wrote:

That or until a parent gets the courts involved.

BillyTheCat
General User

Posted: 5/24/2022 9:36:33 AM 
bobcatsquared wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
bobcatsquared wrote:

That or until a parent gets the courts involved.

I may be wrong, but I do not think the courts would get involved due to the oversight that schools have in the first place. More worrisome is the GOP legislature, who actually has a Bill to allow NIL, same folks who believe there does not need to be a bill protecting officials.

bobcatsquared
General User

Posted: 5/24/2022 10:11:51 AM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
More worrisome is the GOP legislature, who actually has a Bill to allow NIL, same folks who believe there does not need to be a bill protecting officials.

Are you referring to the same folks who believe: 1. we don't need fair elections maps (which 75% of Ohio voters approved in 2018)?; 2. the right to vote should be suppressed?; 3. the teaching of the history of race in our country should not be allowed? . . .

Edit: forgot to mention the same folks who believe all Ohioans have the right to conceal and carry without training or a permit. But they'll be sure to have the young school children in Texas in "their thoughts and prayers."

Last Edited: 5/25/2022 11:33:39 AM by bobcatsquared

giacomo
General User

Member Since: 11/20/2007

Posted: 5/24/2022 11:02:35 AM 
When I think of all the jobs I had in high school and college to make some spending money, this NIL sounds pretty good. No one complained about me delivering papers, cutting several lawns, including my own. I picked warehouse orders at the Howard Johnson commissary, including the freezer. When that job ended I became a playground supervisor for the city of Parma. In high school I worked on the maintenance crew each summer for $1 an hour to work off my tuition. I actually cleaned every toilet in the school, among other duties. They gave us 10 cents of that in our pocket, so a 40 hour week I received 4 bucks. I also worked the CYO basketball games on the weekend for the same deal. No one seemed to gripe about any of that. Work is work. NIL sounds like a great opportunity. There is a song I like to sing: "Nice work if you can get it"!

BillyTheCat
General User

Posted: 5/25/2022 10:36:33 AM 
bobcatsquared wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
More worrisome is the GOP legislature, who actually has a Bill to allow NIL, same folks who believe there does not need to be a bill protecting officials.

Are you referring to the same folks who believe: 1. we don't need fair elections maps (which 75% of Ohio voters approved in 2018)?; 2. the right to vote should be suppressed?; 3. allowing the teaching of the history of race in our country should not be allowed? . . .

Edit: forgot to mention the same folks who believe all Ohioans have the right to conceal and carry without training or a permit. But they'll be sure to have the young school children in Texas in "their thoughts and prayers."

Yep! Same ones!

Showing Replies:  1 - 16  of 16 Posts
Jump to Page:  1
View Other 'General Ohio University Discussion/Alumni Events' Topics

Copyright ©2022 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties