Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Football
Topic:  Director of Recruiting gone

Topic:  Director of Recruiting gone
Author
Message
Valley Cat
General User



Member Since: 12/28/2004
Location: Jackson Twp., OH
Post Count: 936

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  Director of Recruiting gone
   Posted: 4/27/2022 4:50:52 PM 
https://twitter.com/RyanBainbridge0/status/15194145463640...

Appears Ryan Bainbridge Director of Recruiting and Player Personnel has left the program leaving his position and I believe the running back coach spot open.
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 12,121

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Director or Recruiting gone
   Posted: 4/27/2022 5:43:55 PM 
Valley Cat wrote:
https://twitter.com/RyanBainbridge0/status/15194145463640...

Appears Ryan Bainbridge Director or Recruiting and Player Personnel has left the program leaving his position and I believe the running back coach spot open.


#RollBobbies . . . got to stop . . . who started that?
#RollCats . . . would be much better!


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
colobobcat66
General User

Member Since: 9/1/2006
Location: Watching the bobcats run outside my window., CO
Post Count: 3,640

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Director or Recruiting gone
   Posted: 4/27/2022 9:21:30 PM 
They talk about this being a key time for recruiting so this canít exactly help us. Starting to worry about staff changes after all the years of little change that people complained about.
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 8,056

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Director or Recruiting gone
   Posted: 4/28/2022 8:23:45 AM 
Not sure what loss this is. Recruiting is a staff wide endeavor, targets and visitation schedules to schools is already complete, coaches know what they are doing and where they are going.

On the other side, I wish Ryan well. But he is getting out of coaching for his family, so that is awesome for him, it's a very taxing job. Not like he's jumping ship for other jobs.
Back to Top
  
cc-cat
General User

Member Since: 4/5/2006
Location: matthews, NC
Post Count: 3,558

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Director or Recruiting gone
   Posted: 4/28/2022 9:42:17 AM 
Not like weíve been killing it with recruiting. Not blaming him but thereís no indication heís an irreplaceable superstar. Good luck in the future. Find happiness.
Back to Top
  
Bobcat1996
General User

Member Since: 1/2/2017
Post Count: 628

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Director or Recruiting gone
   Posted: 4/29/2022 8:07:54 PM 
We wish Ryan all the best. The Bobcats will find a a quality person for this position.
Back to Top
  
Valley Cat
General User



Member Since: 12/28/2004
Location: Jackson Twp., OH
Post Count: 936

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Director or Recruiting gone
   Posted: 4/30/2022 9:10:15 AM 
Iím not even sure I understand recruiting at this point. Why waste the resources to travel around to HIgh Schools? Just pluck the portal until you fill your 85. When you eclipse it just assume other kids are leaving regardless. When you get them to campus you have to recruit them every year. If not they just head into the portal. I canít imagine the energy it takes to Coach or work in the football offices at this point. Or basketball for that matter.

Last Edited: 4/30/2022 9:10:32 AM by Valley Cat

Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 8,586

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Director or Recruiting gone
   Posted: 4/30/2022 11:55:21 AM 
Valley Cat wrote:
Iím not even sure I understand recruiting at this point. Why waste the resources to travel around to HIgh Schools? Just pluck the portal until you fill your 85. When you eclipse it just assume other kids are leaving regardless. When you get them to campus you have to recruit them every year. If not they just head into the portal. I canít imagine the energy it takes to Coach or work in the football offices at this point. Or basketball for that matter.


Of course you're assuming that (1) you can find 85 players in the portal every year who WANT to come to Ohio (not a valid assumption, especially with our current football situation) and (2) you can find 85 players in the portal every year who are good enough to be on schollie at Ohio (there's a reason why 41% of the D1A players in the portal didn't get an offer from any school, including Ohio, over the last two years). So you at least have to go through the process of recruiting HS players. And who knows, you might get a better quality of HS player because the "P"s are filling their rosters with transfers and not taking as many HS recruits. Of course, they'd be likely to move on in a year or two, but that's the new reality of life in college sports.


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
BobcatLackey2017
General User

Member Since: 9/17/2021
Post Count: 28

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Director or Recruiting gone
   Posted: 5/1/2022 1:11:48 AM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
Not sure what loss this is. Recruiting is a staff wide endeavor, targets and visitation schedules to schools is already complete, coaches know what they are doing and where they are going.

On the other side, I wish Ryan well. But he is getting out of coaching for his family, so that is awesome for him, it's a very taxing job. Not like he's jumping ship for other jobs.


Itís not a position that requires much of a transition from a day to day aspect. Itís more or less a checklist. I was there through Michael George, Eric Kohr, and Bain. The new guy will just pick up where Bain left off. What I viewed as the hardest part of that job (as well as the dumbest) was the 100+ nearly daily mailers they would individualize, print out, put in envelopes, and send to players. Player X is getting 3+ letters a week from Ohio football. It just always seemed a bit old school and creepy to me but what do I know. I guess high schoolers like being courted like an 80s rom-com. Obviously there is way more to the job but I always thought that looked tedious when a lot of the recruiting girls donít work consistent hours. This staff LOVES hiring in house as most people probably realize by now so Bainís replacement is Kyle Pollock.

Last Edited: 5/1/2022 7:23:07 AM by BobcatLackey2017

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 8,056

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Director or Recruiting gone
   Posted: 5/1/2022 4:08:54 PM 
BobcatLackey2017 wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
Not sure what loss this is. Recruiting is a staff wide endeavor, targets and visitation schedules to schools is already complete, coaches know what they are doing and where they are going.

On the other side, I wish Ryan well. But he is getting out of coaching for his family, so that is awesome for him, it's a very taxing job. Not like he's jumping ship for other jobs.


Itís not a position that requires much of a transition from a day to day aspect. Itís more or less a checklist. I was there through Michael George, Eric Kohr, and Bain. The new guy will just pick up where Bain left off. What I viewed as the hardest part of that job (as well as the dumbest) was the 100+ nearly daily mailers they would individualize, print out, put in envelopes, and send to players. Player X is getting 3+ letters a week from Ohio football. It just always seemed a bit old school and creepy to me but what do I know. I guess high schoolers like being courted like an 80s rom-com. Obviously there is way more to the job but I always thought that looked tedious when a lot of the recruiting girls donít work consistent hours. This staff LOVES hiring in house as most people probably realize by now so Bainís replacement is Kyle Pollock.


Wow, thanks, I had no idea what it was like in that position or the insides of OHIO Football. Thank you for enlightening me.
Back to Top
  
cc-cat
General User

Member Since: 4/5/2006
Location: matthews, NC
Post Count: 3,558

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Director or Recruiting gone
   Posted: 5/1/2022 11:15:04 PM 
BobcatLackey2017 wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
Not sure what loss this is. Recruiting is a staff wide endeavor, targets and visitation schedules to schools is already complete, coaches know what they are doing and where they are going.

On the other side, I wish Ryan well. But he is getting out of coaching for his family, so that is awesome for him, it's a very taxing job. Not like he's jumping ship for other jobs.


Itís not a position that requires much of a transition from a day to day aspect. Itís more or less a checklist. I was there through Michael George, Eric Kohr, and Bain. The new guy will just pick up where Bain left off. What I viewed as the hardest part of that job (as well as the dumbest) was the 100+ nearly daily mailers they would individualize, print out, put in envelopes, and send to players. Player X is getting 3+ letters a week from Ohio football. It just always seemed a bit old school and creepy to me but what do I know. I guess high schoolers like being courted like an 80s rom-com. Obviously there is way more to the job but I always thought that looked tedious when a lot of the recruiting girls donít work consistent hours. This staff LOVES hiring in house as most people probably realize by now so Bainís replacement is Kyle Pollock.


Thanks for then insight Lackey. Much more perspective and value than we usually get from so called "insiders" who hang around the department. Agree about the last century view - of course you get that from those that have been involved since last century.
Back to Top
  
BobcatLackey2017
General User

Member Since: 9/17/2021
Post Count: 28

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Director or Recruiting gone
   Posted: 5/2/2022 2:49:31 AM 
Not to get too into it but in my personal opinion I think one of the biggest mistakes this program has ever made was letting Michael George leave. Internal politics and differing personalities aside that guy was an absolute machine. Heís a literal genius and should probably be an engineer based on his education. Obviously he did his job as Director of Recruiting but on top of that he handled all of the coaches film, managed the film staff, knew the entire offense, defense, and special teams like the back of his hand (helped us out a ton with inputting it all into the system when weíd inevitably not know something), and did a great job at figuring out other teams signals. Obviously we can only pay MAC money but if I was running the show I would have found an extra $20,000 somewhere and considered it money well spent. It also ultimately cost us the Texas State loss in 2017 as well.

Last Edited: 5/2/2022 2:53:43 AM by BobcatLackey2017

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 12  of 12 Posts
Jump to Page:  1
View Other 'Ohio Football' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             







Copyright ©2022 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties