Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Football
Topic:  Late substitution

Topic:  Late substitution
Author
Message
bobcatsquared
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 4,085

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  Late substitution
   Posted: 9/23/2022 10:28:03 AM 
I've noticed in CFB games this season that an official will stand over center until the defense has been allowed to sub in players after the offense has subbed in players. And I've started to notice that the subs on D aren't sprinting out but instead are leisurely strolling out to their position.

My question then is: what's to prevent the D to use up all/most of the play clock when subbing in after the O has subbed in thus creating a delay of game penalty on the O?
Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 8,810

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Late substitution
   Posted: 9/23/2022 10:50:38 AM 
I saw that happen in a game last year. That rule needs to be changed so that the defense can be called for delay of game if they don't make a reasonable effort to get off the field. Of course, if the offense makes a change with under ten on the play clock, they run the risk.

A couple years ago I saw a play that also begs for a rule change, although it doesn't happen nearly as often as late substitution. A kickoff went near the sidelines inside the ten and the return man slid out of bounds going after it. As he was lying on his stomach out of bounds, he reached into the field of play and pulled the ball out of bounds. It probably wouldn't have gone out on its own. But because the return man was out of bounds, the kick was ruled out of bounds and the ball was placed on the 35. I think it's the only time I've seen that happen, but it's really not fair to the kicking team.


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 8,314

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: Late substitution
   Posted: 9/23/2022 11:20:03 AM 
bobcatsquared wrote:


My question then is: what's to prevent the D to use up all/most of the play clock when subbing in after the O has subbed in thus creating a delay of game penalty on the O?


If the D is not ready, the Referee will bump the play clock up to :25 after it has went so low, unless the offense pulls a late substitution then that is on the offense. In a kicking situation with time running down and a mass substitution, you will not hold the clock for the defense.
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 8,314

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: Late substitution
   Posted: 9/23/2022 11:21:47 AM 
bobcatsquared wrote:
I've noticed in CFB games this season that an official will stand over center until the defense has been allowed to sub in players after the offense has subbed in players. And I've started to notice that the subs on D aren't sprinting out but instead are leisurely strolling out to their position.

My question then is: what's to prevent the D to use up all/most of the play clock when subbing in after the O has subbed in thus creating a delay of game penalty on the O?


FR-60: PENALTY [c-d]óDead-ball foul: Five yards from the succeeding spot
e. When Team A sends in its substitutes, the officials will not allow the ball
to be snapped until Team B has been given an opportunity to substitute.
While in the process of substitution or simulated substitution, Team A is prohibited from snapping the ball.
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 8,314

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: Late substitution
   Posted: 9/23/2022 12:00:17 PM 
Pataskala wrote:
I saw that happen in a game last year. That rule needs to be changed so that the defense can be called for delay of game if they don't make a reasonable effort to get off the field. Of course, if the offense makes a change with under ten on the play clock, they run the risk.

A couple years ago I saw a play that also begs for a rule change, although it doesn't happen nearly as often as late substitution. A kickoff went near the sidelines inside the ten and the return man slid out of bounds going after it. As he was lying on his stomach out of bounds, he reached into the field of play and pulled the ball out of bounds. It probably wouldn't have gone out on its own. But because the return man was out of bounds, the kick was ruled out of bounds and the ball was placed on the 35. I think it's the only time I've seen that happen, but it's really not fair to the kicking team.


In NFL thatís a KOB, penalty on K
NCAA thatís a KOB, penalty on K, with 4 options to R
In NFHS thatís an illegal participation on R, 15 yards.
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 5  of 5 Posts
Jump to Page:  1
View Other 'Ohio Football' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             





Copyright ©2022 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties