Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Football
Topic:  RE: New Field, Hopefully No Longer Hardest In MAC

Topic:  RE: New Field, Hopefully No Longer Hardest In MAC
Author
Message
Jeff McKinney
Moderator

Member Since: 11/12/2004
Post Count: 5,745

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: New Field, Hopefully No Longer Hardest In MAC
   Posted: 5/21/2013 4:26:50 PM 
rpbobcat wrote:
Rowdy Rufus wrote:
catfan28 wrote:
I feel like this was done on the cheap...no padding, awful logo at midfield....complete lack of forethought here. You're stuck with this for the next 10 years now.

To me, that is not our logo. It's like you took an eraser to remove the "Ohio" part. If anything, I'd rather just have the arch Ohio at mid-field. The cat looks very high school-ish to me.

Considering the rash of injuries to our players I would have thought padding was a no brainer regardless of the actual cause of the injuries.  Minimize the risk and maybe you minimize a few injuries.   I'm guessing the hospital fees and rehab fees were far more than the additional $50K to install padding. 


I've designed a number of Synthetic Turf fields using Field Turf. I've never heard of using padding (the official name is "E" layer) for a Field Turf installation.

I'm in the middle of a design project for a field so I asked Field Turf about using padding.

They said that their infill system is designed to eliminate the need for any type of padding.

A field's "hardness" is measued by what is called "G-Max'. The required "G-Max" is determined based on a field's primary use.
Every field I've done has exceeded the specified  G-Max, using  infill alone,

It is essential that a field be properly "groomed' to maintain the G-Max.

As another poster said,you don't want a field to be too soft or its like running in loose sand.
We try to set the G-Max to mimic the "hardness" of a natural turf surface.




Thanks, RP.   Hopefully your info will quiet down the complaints about "no padding underneath."
Back to Top
  
perimeterpost
General User



Member Since: 7/6/2010
Post Count: 3,165

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: New Field, Hopefully No Longer Hardest In MAC
   Posted: 5/21/2013 4:32:29 PM 
thanks for putting that together A-town, that helps to visualize it perfectly. It looks better than I thought it would, but I agree with those that said the word ohio, as awesome as it is as a logo, doesn't need to be at midfield.

As I stated before the trend seems to be that schools are moving away from having their team name added with the mascot logo at midfield and are going with just the mascot. OHIO in both end zones, on the TV scoreboard, and on the sides of every helmet should make it clear that we're not the TX State Bobcats.


MY STATE. MY TEAM.

Back to Top
  
Tim Burke
General User



Member Since: 11/23/2004
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Post Count: 606

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: New Field, Hopefully No Longer Hardest In MAC
   Posted: 5/21/2013 9:58:25 PM 
bobcat72 wrote:
I hate that it's just the cat in the middle! That's not our logo!! What other instances...anywhere...do we use just the cat head? I think that's weird....


On every single athletic uniform.


Ohio '99 EMU '00 USF '08(?)

Back to Top
  
whocaresgobobcats
General User

Member Since: 8/29/2011
Post Count: 519

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: New Field, Hopefully No Longer Hardest In MAC
   Posted: 5/22/2013 3:18:58 AM 
kind of disappointed with the field. had the opportunity to do something unique (read: use brick pattern somewhere) but went vanilla. oh well.

Last Edited: 5/22/2013 3:19:09 AM by whocaresgobobcats

Back to Top
  
Rowdy Rufus
General User



Member Since: 1/11/2011
Post Count: 356

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: New Field, Hopefully No Longer Hardest In MAC
   Posted: 5/22/2013 12:22:26 PM 
rpbobcat wrote:
Rowdy Rufus wrote:
catfan28 wrote:
I feel like this was done on the cheap...no padding, awful logo at midfield....complete lack of forethought here. You're stuck with this for the next 10 years now.

To me, that is not our logo. It's like you took an eraser to remove the "Ohio" part. If anything, I'd rather just have the arch Ohio at mid-field. The cat looks very high school-ish to me.

Considering the rash of injuries to our players I would have thought padding was a no brainer regardless of the actual cause of the injuries.  Minimize the risk and maybe you minimize a few injuries.   I'm guessing the hospital fees and rehab fees were far more than the additional $50K to install padding. 


I've designed a number of Synthetic Turf fields using Field Turf. I've never heard of using padding (the official name is "E" layer) for a Field Turf installation.

I'm in the middle of a design project for a field so I asked Field Turf about using padding.

They said that their infill system is designed to eliminate the need for any type of padding.

A field's "hardness" is measued by what is called "G-Max'. The required "G-Max" is determined based on a field's primary use.
Every field I've done has exceeded the specified  G-Max, using  infill alone,

It is essential that a field be properly "groomed' to maintain the G-Max.

As another poster said,you don't want a field to be too soft or its like running in loose sand.
We try to set the G-Max to mimic the "hardness" of a natural turf surface.


Motz Group installed the field with the padding I mentioned.  

Thanks for your explaination of this install.  It is very helpful and sounds like we are getting a very good field that will be safe for all.

Thanks again. 


Back to Top
  
perimeterpost
General User



Member Since: 7/6/2010
Post Count: 3,165

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: New Field, Hopefully No Longer Hardest In MAC
   Posted: 5/22/2013 5:14:09 PM 
almost done.


MY STATE. MY TEAM.

Back to Top
  
Robert Fox
General User

Member Since: 11/16/2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Post Count: 2,039

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: New Field, Hopefully No Longer Hardest In MAC
   Posted: 5/22/2013 5:15:29 PM 
That looks pretty sweet. If rumor about using Peden for football camp is true, my son and I will be on it on June 2. Looking forward to it.
Back to Top
  
MedinaCat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Lakewood, OH
Post Count: 734

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: New Field, Hopefully No Longer Hardest In MAC
   Posted: 5/23/2013 4:52:00 PM 

My only disappointment is that there are no ACC or B1G logos on the field. 

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 8,083

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: New Field, Hopefully No Longer Hardest In MAC
   Posted: 5/24/2013 10:12:03 AM 
I do not believe we are installing a Field Turf field.  This is a different company and a different type of field than what we previously had.
Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 4,833

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: New Field, Hopefully No Longer Hardest In MAC
   Posted: 5/24/2013 1:11:59 PM 
I got into Peden last night during my jog. Unless they will add rubber pellets later, the field material is different from what was previously used. The grass "blades" appear longer than the previous turf, but there are no pellets. In fact, it appears that all of the previous pellets are in a pile next to the bike path. The company that we are buying from is called Astroturf, but the new Peden turf is much longer and softer than what we have over at Pruitt Field. Despite the butt-hurting about no arched Ohio at midfield, the field itself looks very clean. The endzone is a darker shade of green than the rest of the playing field. I should say I was hoping for the alternating shades of green every five yards because I really like that look, but our creative options are limited with our colors being green and white.
Back to Top
  
Doc Bobcat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,947

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: New Field, Hopefully No Longer Hardest In MAC
   Posted: 5/24/2013 1:34:38 PM 
IIn the pictures of flooded Peden if you look closely at the top left corner you can see someone jumping out of a Sargents Hall 2nd floor window......haha.....yes they did.....i always think about that when I walk up Richland and look at the creek that once was The Hocking River.

Last Edited: 5/24/2013 1:36:34 PM by Doc Bobcat

Back to Top
  
Club Hyatt
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Post Count: 4,376

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: New Field, Hopefully No Longer Hardest In MAC
   Posted: 5/24/2013 1:40:31 PM 
This is not the exact same field as before as some are making out to be. The Attack Cat and Ohio's are about 10% larger than before. The field is darker and the endzones are dark green. The font on the numbers is different and more consistent with the block lettering of Ohio, Now we just need better seating to put around this field and Peden starts to look like a real stadium. 


Most Memorable Bobcat Events Attended
2010 97-83 win over Georgetown in NCAA 1st round
2012 45-13 victory over ULM in the Independence Bowl
2015 34-3 drubbing of Miami @ Peden front of 25,086

Back to Top
  
Robert Fox
General User

Member Since: 11/16/2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Post Count: 2,039

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: New Field, Hopefully No Longer Hardest In MAC
   Posted: 5/24/2013 2:51:21 PM 
Uncle Wes wrote:
This is not the exact same field as before as some are making out to be. The Attack Cat and Ohio's are about 10% larger than before. The field is darker and the endzones are dark green. The font on the numbers is different and more consistent with the block lettering of Ohio, Now we just need better seating to put around this field and Peden starts to look like a real stadium. 


I wonder what reduction in total seating we would get if we used chair back seats throughout the stadium? Granted it would be significant (maybe 10% less?), but it would also be unique, and unbeatable from a game comfort standpoint.
Back to Top
  
perimeterpost
General User



Member Since: 7/6/2010
Post Count: 3,165

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: New Field, Hopefully No Longer Hardest In MAC
   Posted: 5/24/2013 4:00:02 PM 
Uncle Wes wrote:
This is not the exact same field as before as some are making out to be. The Attack Cat and Ohio's are about 10% larger than before. The field is darker and the endzones are dark green. The font on the numbers is different and more consistent with the block lettering of Ohio, Now we just need better seating to put around this field and Peden starts to look like a real stadium. 


the new Attack Cat is identical in size to the old one.


MY STATE. MY TEAM.

Back to Top
  
Bobcat110alum
General User



Member Since: 7/7/2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 470

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: New Field, Hopefully No Longer Hardest In MAC
   Posted: 5/25/2013 12:05:59 PM 
Robert Fox wrote:
Uncle Wes wrote:
This is not the exact same field as before as some are making out to be. The Attack Cat and Ohio's are about 10% larger than before. The field is darker and the endzones are dark green. The font on the numbers is different and more consistent with the block lettering of Ohio, Now we just need better seating to put around this field and Peden starts to look like a real stadium. 


I wonder what reduction in total seating we would get if we used chair back seats throughout the stadium? Granted it would be significant (maybe 10% less?), but it would also be unique, and unbeatable from a game comfort standpoint.


That would be cool, only if they fix the chair back seats from what they have now. My last trip down to Athens my buddies and I walked around Peden and sat in the chair backs for a little while. I couldn't sit there for more than 4 minutes or so without having to stand up and stretch out because I was too cramped. I'm a taller guy (6'3") but my buddy was complaining of the same thing and he's a few inches shorter than me. 


B.S. Journalism, 2012.

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 8,083

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: New Field, Hopefully No Longer Hardest In MAC
   Posted: 5/25/2013 5:31:03 PM 
perimeterpost wrote:
Uncle Wes wrote:
This is not the exact same field as before as some are making out to be. The Attack Cat and Ohio's are about 10% larger than before. The field is darker and the endzones are dark green. The font on the numbers is different and more consistent with the block lettering of Ohio, Now we just need better seating to put around this field and Peden starts to look like a real stadium.


the new Attack Cat is identical in size to the old one.


NCAA rules mandate that logos must remain inside the hash marks, hence limiting the size of the logo at mid-field.

The field also does have a rubber in-fill, but has a short pile mesh which is supposed to lock in the pellets to keep them from popping up.

Last Edited: 5/25/2013 5:35:06 PM by BillyTheCat

Back to Top
  
Victory
General User

Member Since: 3/10/2012
Post Count: 1,205

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: New Field, Hopefully No Longer Hardest In MAC
   Posted: 5/25/2013 8:10:48 PM 
perimeterpost wrote:
almost done.



The "Ohio Green" end zone is distinguishable from the standard field turf green but only just.
Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 3,174

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: New Field, Hopefully No Longer Hardest In MAC
   Posted: 5/26/2013 1:15:50 PM 
shabamon wrote:
I got into Peden last night during my jog. Unless they will add rubber pellets later, the field material is different from what was previously used. The grass "blades" appear longer than the previous turf, but there are no pellets. In fact, it appears that all of the previous pellets are in a pile next to the bike path. The company that we are buying from is called Astroturf, but the new Peden turf is much longer and softer than what we have over at Pruitt Field. Despite the butt-hurting about no arched Ohio at midfield, the field itself looks very clean. The endzone is a darker shade of green than the rest of the playing field. I should say I was hoping for the alternating shades of green every five yards because I really like that look, but our creative options are limited with our colors being green and white.


Astroturf used to be the name of both the company and the product. Now its just the company name.

The new field is an Astroturf product called "Game Day Grass".
The O.U. installation is actually featured on the Astroturf  web site.
I've never used this brand of synthetic turf, but I'm familiar with the "new" Astroturf  products.

The Game Day Grass system is a very similiar concept  to Field Turf,including sand/rubber infill.
According to Astrturf's specs,the Game Day Grass system has less issues with the infill getting overly compacted.

Can't wait to see it in person.

Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 6,611

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: New Field, Hopefully No Longer Hardest In MAC
   Posted: 5/26/2013 1:46:35 PM 
Victory wrote:
perimeterpost wrote:
almost done.



The "Ohio Green" end zone is distinguishable from the standard field turf green but only just.


Stopped by yesterday to see it in person.  It is very distinguishable at 12:00 in the sunlight.  The endzones are a real good shade of green.
Back to Top
  
Club Hyatt
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Post Count: 4,376

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: New Field, Hopefully No Longer Hardest In MAC
   Posted: 5/26/2013 7:26:22 PM 
Alan Swank wrote:
Victory wrote:
perimeterpost wrote:
almost done.



The "Ohio Green" end zone is distinguishable from the standard field turf green but only just.


Stopped by yesterday to see it in person.  It is very distinguishable at 12:00 in the sunlight.  The endzones are a real good shade of green.


If Alan is impressed that is the ultimate compliment.


Most Memorable Bobcat Events Attended
2010 97-83 win over Georgetown in NCAA 1st round
2012 45-13 victory over ULM in the Independence Bowl
2015 34-3 drubbing of Miami @ Peden front of 25,086

Back to Top
  
turfcat
General User

Member Since: 1/19/2011
Post Count: 70

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: New Field, Hopefully No Longer Hardest In MAC
   Posted: 5/31/2013 12:33:16 PM 
The contractor is finishing up checklist items right now and the field will be in use Sunday for a high school camp sponsered by Ohio Football.
Back to Top
  
A-townBound
General User



Member Since: 3/31/2012
Location: Georgetown, KY
Post Count: 628

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: New Field, Hopefully No Longer Hardest In MAC
   Posted: 6/3/2013 10:19:05 AM 
Before and After -


Bleed Green and GO OHIO!!

Back to Top
  
Club Hyatt
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Post Count: 4,376

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: New Field, Hopefully No Longer Hardest In MAC
   Posted: 6/3/2013 11:46:40 AM 
From the pictures above I stand by my statement that the new Attack Cat is about 10% bigger than before. Wisker to wisker its about 2 yards wider.


Most Memorable Bobcat Events Attended
2010 97-83 win over Georgetown in NCAA 1st round
2012 45-13 victory over ULM in the Independence Bowl
2015 34-3 drubbing of Miami @ Peden front of 25,086

Back to Top
  
HashtagSUAC
General User

Member Since: 5/16/2013
Post Count: 4

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: New Field, Hopefully No Longer Hardest In MAC
   Posted: 6/8/2013 11:48:15 AM 
A look at the Top 10 games on the old turf..

http://woub.org/2013/06/08/top-10-look-best-games-pedens-...

Last Edited: 6/8/2013 12:09:07 PM by HashtagSUAC


#SUAC - Stand. Up. And. Cheer.

Back to Top
  
perimeterpost
General User



Member Since: 7/6/2010
Post Count: 3,165

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: New Field, Hopefully No Longer Hardest In MAC
   Posted: 6/8/2013 2:33:07 PM 
Uncle Wes wrote:
From the pictures above I stand by my statement that the new Attack Cat is about 10% bigger than before. Wisker to wisker its about 2 yards wider.


the whiskers both before and after clearly stretch from the 41 to the 41. there is no change in size.


MY STATE. MY TEAM.

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  101 - 125  of 150 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Football' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             







Copyright ©2022 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties