Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Basketball Recruiting
Topic:  2022 6'2" SG Devon Baker (Tulane) -- Ohio TRANSFER Commit (NT)

Topic:  2022 6'2" SG Devon Baker (Tulane) -- Ohio TRANSFER Commit (NT)
Author
Message
Jeff McKinney
Moderator

Member Since: 11/12/2004
Post Count: 5,815

Status: Offline

  Sticky Topic - Message Not Read  2022 6'2" SG Devon Baker (Tulane) -- Ohio TRANSFER Commit (NT)
   Posted: 5/19/2022 4:40:51 PM 
Back to Top
  
FlashGary
General User

Member Since: 6/18/2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Post Count: 359

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2022 6'2" SG Devon Baker (Tulane) -- Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 5/19/2022 7:08:14 PM 
I don't know what to think about this one. He averaged 16.1, 16.5 and 13.0 points playing three seasons at UNC-Ashville, but only 6.2 points, shooting a yukky 24% on treys (after shooting 34% during his three seasons at UNC-Ashville) as a part-time player last season at Tulane. So we'll see.

We're locked and loaded in the backcourt, that's for sure!!!
Back to Top
  
BobcatSports
General User

Member Since: 2/2/2006
Post Count: 1,006

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2022 6'2" SG Devon Baker (Tulane) -- Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 5/19/2022 9:55:02 PM 
We may be locked. Loaded? TBD.
Back to Top
  
ohio9704
General User

Member Since: 2/11/2006
Post Count: 1,462

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2022 6'2" SG Devon Baker (Tulane) -- Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 5/19/2022 10:13:32 PM 
https://twitter.com/dbaker_20/status/1242617983266103301
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 12,701

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2022 6'2" SG Devon Baker (Tulane) -- Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 5/20/2022 12:10:54 AM 
ohio9704 wrote:
https://twitter.com/dbaker_20/status/1242617983266103301


Ever seen a guy miss a shot in a highlight video! That being said, this guy looks pretty good.


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
Catsfan32
General User

Member Since: 4/14/2020
Post Count: 12

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2022 6'2" SG Devon Baker (Tulane) -- Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 5/24/2022 10:46:35 PM 
I'm liking what I see for several reasons.

He has a nice follow through on his shot, you don't see many shooters finishing high anymore.

He has a quick crossover that gets him space.

He seems to know if he goes too deep, he's going to be in a double team trouble and can pull-up with a soft jumper.

When he does go deep against a big, looks like he has a high floater in his arsenal.

His experience will go along way in leading this team with the absence of the key players no longer with the program.

Get him in the gym with the rest of the CATS and lets play ball!
Back to Top
  
Bobcat1998
General User

Member Since: 11/7/2012
Post Count: 1,923

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2022 6'2" SG Devon Baker (Tulane) -- Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 5/25/2022 10:38:41 AM 
Catsfan32 wrote:
I'm liking what I see for several reasons.

He has a nice follow through on his shot, you don't see many shooters finishing high anymore.

He has a quick crossover that gets him space.

He seems to know if he goes too deep, he's going to be in a double team trouble and can pull-up with a soft jumper.

When he does go deep against a big, looks like he has a high floater in his arsenal.

His experience will go along way in leading this team with the absence of the key players no longer with the program.

Get him in the gym with the rest of the CATS and lets play ball!


I agree with ALL of this. And he really shows along with the recruitment of Jaylin Hunter, Elmore James and AJ Brown that Boals sees what we have been lacking: athletic, quick guards. Abilene ran us off the court with its guard play and so did Kron and Kent State. Next year we enter with Hunter, Baker, Miles and Roderick as legit D-1 guards who can handle and shoot. I believe James and AJ Brown will only add to that depth.
Back to Top
  
bobcatsquared
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 4,217

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2022 6'2" SG Devon Baker (Tulane) -- Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 5/25/2022 11:32:21 AM 
Bobcat1998 wrote:
Next year we enter with Hunter, Baker, Miles and Roderick as legit D-1 guards who can handle and shoot.


Haven't seen enough of Hunter and Baker. Miles and Roderick can definitely shoot the ball. The question remains, can they, or will they, make those shots?

Last Edited: 5/25/2022 11:32:40 AM by bobcatsquared

Back to Top
  
FearLeon
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 3,021

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2022 6'2" SG Devon Baker (Tulane) -- Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 5/25/2022 4:22:41 PM 
Bobcat1998 wrote:
Catsfan32 wrote:
I'm liking what I see for several reasons.

He has a nice follow through on his shot, you don't see many shooters finishing high anymore.

He has a quick crossover that gets him space.

He seems to know if he goes too deep, he's going to be in a double team trouble and can pull-up with a soft jumper.

When he does go deep against a big, looks like he has a high floater in his arsenal.

His experience will go along way in leading this team with the absence of the key players no longer with the program.

Get him in the gym with the rest of the CATS and lets play ball!


I agree with ALL of this. And he really shows along with the recruitment of Jaylin Hunter, Elmore James and AJ Brown that Boals sees what we have been lacking: athletic, quick guards. Abilene ran us off the court with its guard play and so did Kron and Kent State. Next year we enter with Hunter, Baker, Miles and Roderick as legit D-1 guards who can handle and shoot. I believe James and AJ Brown will only add to that depth.


Agree with this except for Brod. He wasn't D-1 legit last year and has a lot to prove this coming season. If he doesn't solve the shooting yips, he won't get many minutes.


Last Edited: 5/25/2022 10:50:59 PM by FearLeon


#BleedGreen #TrentIsGOAT

Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 12,701

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2022 6'2" SG Devon Baker (Tulane) -- Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 5/25/2022 6:20:45 PM 
bobcatsquared wrote:
Bobcat1998 wrote:
Next year we enter with Hunter, Baker, Miles and Roderick as legit D-1 guards who can handle and shoot.


Haven't seen enough of Hunter and Baker. Miles and Roderick can definitely shoot the ball. The question remains, can they, or will they, make those shots?


Yep, a big difference between "shooters" and "makers." You can ask Alan Swank, but I was a very good shooter in our pickup basketball games. However, I was in undisputed last place in our league in the "Maker" category! ;-)


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
bobcatsquared
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 4,217

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2022 6'2" SG Devon Baker (Tulane) -- Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 5/25/2022 6:54:24 PM 
I think I recall Alan saying something about you being good at taking charges in your pickup games on Saturday mornings at the Athens Middle School gymnasium. Something SBH was known for on the playgrounds of Akron.

Last Edited: 5/25/2022 6:54:38 PM by bobcatsquared

Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 12,701

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2022 6'2" SG Devon Baker (Tulane) -- Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 5/25/2022 11:51:44 PM 
bobcatsquared wrote:
I think I recall Alan saying something about you being good at taking charges in your pickup games on Saturday mornings at the Athens Middle School gymnasium. Something SBH was known for on the playgrounds of Akron.


Well, one day we almost had a fist fight, which I would have lost, when I called a foul on a dude twice my size who knocked me flat on my back trying to get through a pick I’d set. He wasn’t blind-sided either; he knew the pick was there and just decided to flatten me. Fortunately another guy, much bigger than the perp, intervened and pulled us apart and told the perp the foul call would stand. The perp looked angry but complied. I’m not sure if Alan was there that day to witness this dust up, but maybe SBH has the webcam footage! ;-)


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
M.D.W.S.T
General User



Member Since: 12/23/2021
Post Count: 220

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2022 6'2" SG Devon Baker (Tulane) -- Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 8/4/2022 6:42:49 PM 
Anyone know if Baker is on campus?

He's on the roster, but he's the only one without a mugshot.

I don't see him in any of the Spain photos either.

Twitter profile pic still of him at Tulane.

Hope he didn't get cold feet. Think this team could be really special with so much veteran guard depth.

Last Edited: 8/4/2022 6:44:06 PM by M.D.W.S.T

Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 194

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2022 6'2" SG Devon Baker (Tulane) -- Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 8/5/2022 10:30:12 AM 
M.D.W.S.T wrote:
Anyone know if Baker is on campus?

He's on the roster, but he's the only one without a mugshot.

I don't see him in any of the Spain photos either.

Twitter profile pic still of him at Tulane.

Hope he didn't get cold feet. Think this team could be really special with so much veteran guard depth.


I was wondering this too, but Shabamon mentioned in another thread he was finishing up stuff at Tulane this summer, I believe. Hence, why he’s not on campus/doesn’t have a mugshot. He’s still following the hoops page and Boals, etc.

It’d be reassuring if he was present, but I wouldn’t look too much into the Twitter profile pic just yet. Jaylin still has his ODU profile pic on IG for what it’s worth.
Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 5,092

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2022 6'2" SG Devon Baker (Tulane) -- Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 8/5/2022 11:03:53 AM 
It was mentioned by a coach in an interview, I think Jake's interview with Lamar, that he was finishing summer school at Tulane.
Back to Top
  
Cellis033
General User



Member Since: 11/11/2021
Location: Powell, OH
Post Count: 1,070

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2022 6'2" SG Devon Baker (Tulane) -- Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 8/5/2022 7:20:05 PM 
shabamon wrote:
It was mentioned by a coach in an interview, I think Jake's interview with Lamar, that he was finishing summer school at Tulane.


This is correct. He'll be on campus in August. Cannot wait for hoops season.


Chase
OU Engineering Technology and Management '24
O-Zone President
Bringing the noise!

Muck Fiami
Kent read, Kent write, Can't be a state!
Bowling Green Normal School

Back to Top
  
Bobcat1998
General User

Member Since: 11/7/2012
Post Count: 1,923

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2022 6'2" SG Devon Baker (Tulane) -- Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 8/25/2022 8:21:56 AM 
Do we know yet...is he on campus?
Back to Top
  
Cellis033
General User



Member Since: 11/11/2021
Location: Powell, OH
Post Count: 1,070

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2022 6'2" SG Devon Baker (Tulane) -- Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 8/25/2022 2:18:12 PM 
Bobcat1998 wrote:
Do we know yet...is he on campus?


Not totally sure but I assume he would be.


Chase
OU Engineering Technology and Management '24
O-Zone President
Bringing the noise!

Muck Fiami
Kent read, Kent write, Can't be a state!
Bowling Green Normal School

Back to Top
  
FearLeon
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 3,021

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2022 6'2" SG Devon Baker (Tulane) -- Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 8/25/2022 6:34:28 PM 
Cellis033 wrote:
Bobcat1998 wrote:
Do we know yet...is he on campus?


Not totally sure but I assume he would be.


Was wondering the same thing.

Crickets.


#BleedGreen #TrentIsGOAT

Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 194

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2022 6'2" SG Devon Baker (Tulane) -- Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 8/26/2022 8:37:14 AM 
FearLeon wrote:
Cellis033 wrote:
Bobcat1998 wrote:
Do we know yet...is he on campus?


Not totally sure but I assume he would be.


Was wondering the same thing.

Crickets.



I’d like to think he wouldn’t be still listed on the roster (even if his photo is missing) and not named in the recent schedule article if he wasn’t at this point. However, I’m also trying to be optimistic.
Back to Top
  
FearLeon
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 3,021

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2022 6'2" SG Devon Baker (Tulane) -- Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 8/26/2022 10:38:51 AM 
FJC31 wrote:
FearLeon wrote:
Cellis033 wrote:
Bobcat1998 wrote:
Do we know yet...is he on campus?


Not totally sure but I assume he would be.


Was wondering the same thing.

Crickets.



I’d like to think he wouldn’t be still listed on the roster (even if his photo is missing) and not named in the recent schedule article if he wasn’t at this point. However, I’m also trying to be optimistic.


This is the one piece to the puzzle this season that I’ve been nervous about. Cellis…you are on campus. Maybe you can ask one of the players in passing if Baker is officially in Athens. Right now, this feels like Big Foot. Not gonna believe it until he’s spotted on campus.




#BleedGreen #TrentIsGOAT

Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 194

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2022 6'2" SG Devon Baker (Tulane) -- Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 8/26/2022 1:01:02 PM 
FearLeon wrote:
FJC31 wrote:
FearLeon wrote:
Cellis033 wrote:
Bobcat1998 wrote:
Do we know yet...is he on campus?


Not totally sure but I assume he would be.


Was wondering the same thing.

Crickets.



I’d like to think he wouldn’t be still listed on the roster (even if his photo is missing) and not named in the recent schedule article if he wasn’t at this point. However, I’m also trying to be optimistic.


This is the one piece to the puzzle this season that I’ve been nervous about. Cellis…you are on campus. Maybe you can ask one of the players in passing if Baker is officially in Athens. Right now, this feels like Big Foot. Not gonna believe it until he’s spotted on campus.





On the flip side, you’d think it’d be known that he wasn’t coming to Athens as well by now if that was the case.
Back to Top
  
FearLeon
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 3,021

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2022 6'2" SG Devon Baker (Tulane) -- Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 8/26/2022 1:22:42 PM 
FJC31 wrote:
FearLeon wrote:
FJC31 wrote:
FearLeon wrote:
Cellis033 wrote:
Bobcat1998 wrote:
Do we know yet...is he on campus?


Not totally sure but I assume he would be.


Was wondering the same thing.

Crickets.



I’d like to think he wouldn’t be still listed on the roster (even if his photo is missing) and not named in the recent schedule article if he wasn’t at this point. However, I’m also trying to be optimistic.


This is the one piece to the puzzle this season that I’ve been nervous about. Cellis…you are on campus. Maybe you can ask one of the players in passing if Baker is officially in Athens. Right now, this feels like Big Foot. Not gonna believe it until he’s spotted on campus.





On the flip side, you’d think it’d be known that he wasn’t coming to Athens as well by now if that was the case.


True there. But we have no media. None. OK...Arkley...but he's not a full-time beat writer. And remember a starter literally disappeared without hardly a word last year. Nothing.



Last Edited: 8/26/2022 1:22:56 PM by FearLeon


#BleedGreen #TrentIsGOAT

Back to Top
  
OU_Country
General User



Member Since: 12/6/2005
Location: On the road between Athens and Madison County
Post Count: 8,183

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2022 6'2" SG Devon Baker (Tulane) -- Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 8/26/2022 1:25:34 PM 
FearLeon wrote:
Cellis033 wrote:
Bobcat1998 wrote:
Do we know yet...is he on campus?


Not totally sure but I assume he would be.


Was wondering the same thing.

Crickets.



You mean the coaching staff hasn't yet informed you personally?
Back to Top
  
FearLeon
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 3,021

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2022 6'2" SG Devon Baker (Tulane) -- Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 8/26/2022 1:45:59 PM 
OU_Country wrote:
FearLeon wrote:
Cellis033 wrote:
Bobcat1998 wrote:
Do we know yet...is he on campus?


Not totally sure but I assume he would be.


Was wondering the same thing.

Crickets.



You mean the coaching staff hasn't yet informed you personally?


Not yet...but I'm expecting to hear by the end of the weekend....haha.


#BleedGreen #TrentIsGOAT

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 25  of 28 Posts
Jump to Page:  1 | 2    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Basketball Recruiting' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             







Copyright ©2022 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties