Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Basketball Recruiting
Topic:  RE: 2023 6'6 SF Ike Cornish (University of Maryland) - Ohio TRANSFER Commit

Topic:  RE: 2023 6'6 SF Ike Cornish (University of Maryland) - Ohio TRANSFER Commit
Author
Message
Andrew Ruck
General User



Member Since: 12/22/2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 4,694

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 6'6 SF Ike Cornish (University of Maryland) - Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 4/21/2023 1:36:14 PM 
To me it is preposterous for any of Cornish, AJB or EJ4 to start over Miles. He shot 45% from 3 and is our best on ball defender. He could be an all-MAC performer.


Andrew Ruck
B.B.A. 2003

Back to Top
  
Jeff McKinney
Moderator

Member Since: 11/12/2004
Post Count: 6,043

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 6'6 SF Ike Cornish (University of Maryland) - Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 4/21/2023 3:41:55 PM 
I'm sure the coaches will figure a rotation out when the roster is finalized. SNo one should have to log more than 28 mins with the depth we have now. Intense defense.
Back to Top
  
The Optimist
General User



Member Since: 3/16/2007
Location: CLE
Post Count: 5,552

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 6'6 SF Ike Cornish (University of Maryland) - Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 4/21/2023 7:16:08 PM 
Old article, but great scouting report on Cornish

https://247sports.com/college/maryland/Article/Ike-Cornis... /

Excited by his defensive ability.


I've seen crazier things happen.

Back to Top
  
Jeff McKinney
Moderator

Member Since: 11/12/2004
Post Count: 6,043

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 6'6 SF Ike Cornish (University of Maryland) - Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 4/21/2023 7:54:00 PM 
Thanks!
Back to Top
  
FormerMember
General User

Member Since: 1/7/2022
Post Count: 145

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 6'6 SF Ike Cornish (University of Maryland) - Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 4/21/2023 8:45:05 PM 
Andrew Ruck wrote:
To me it is preposterous for any of Cornish, AJB or EJ4 to start over Miles. He shot 45% from 3 and is our best on ball defender. He could be an all-MAC performer.


I get where you're coming from but preposterous is way too strong of a word to use in this context. I think Miles Brown is a great player that will have an impact and play 20+ minutes a game regardless of if he starts or not.

Both AJ Brown and Ike Cornish are four star recruits playing in the MAC. Do you think either came to Athens to be backups? (Not that it matters either way) They both have more height, higher upside and three years of eligibility remaining. Those things matter in the coaching staffs decision.

We've seen guards like Walter Offutt and Armon Bassett come to Ohio from Big 10 schools and make an immediate impact. Cornish is 6-foot-6. He's probably going to be a wing and will see the court a ton.

It's clear that Ohio is going to employ a very favorable guard oriented style this year in which Hunter, Mitchell, AJ Brown, James, M. Brown and Cornish will all see plenty of minutes. Arguing over who's starting is pointless. Was Nick Perkins any less of a player at Buffalo because he came off the bench?

Last Edited: 4/21/2023 8:56:50 PM by FormerMember

Back to Top
  
FormerMember
General User

Member Since: 1/7/2022
Post Count: 145

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 6'6 SF Ike Cornish (University of Maryland) - Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 4/21/2023 8:51:52 PM 
The Optimist wrote:
I posted in the portal thread earlier... I expect Miles to maintain his starting role. He was banged up for the MAC Tournament but was giving us 30+ minutes a night through MAC play.

My guess right now is that Jaylin/Miles/AJB are the starting guards with Elmore getting big minutes off the bench and starting for us the following year.

Also, college production>>>>>>>>>recruiting rankings this is why all the power programs and loading up on transfers...



You're right that college production means more than recruiting rankings but let's not kid ourselves and assume that because someone can't see the court at Maryland that they're not on the same level as starters in the MAC.

We've seen guys like Jaaron Simmons dominate at Ohio only to become a benchwarmer at Michigan that barely saw the court.

Power basketball is another level. Boals' recruiting indicates a huge emphasis on positional versatility and wanting a deep rotation. He liked to play two units last year and that'll probably be even more of the case now with the newcomers here.

Btw, I'm okay if Miles Brown does start. I just don't think it's something we should get up in arms about if he doesn't

Last Edited: 4/21/2023 9:00:52 PM by FormerMember

Back to Top
  
GraffZ06
General User



Member Since: 1/5/2005
Location: Dayton, OH
Post Count: 1,900

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 6'6 SF Ike Cornish (University of Maryland) - Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 4/21/2023 10:02:04 PM 
Andrew Ruck wrote:

I am glad he was a highly regarded recruit, but concerned he never cracked the lineup on a pretty poor Maryland team his first year and barely got minutes on a mediocre team the second year. Maybe I have post-Wiz syndrome with P5 guys who didn't get playing time there.

Excited to see him play.


To be clear he never cracked the lineup his freshman year because he got injured during his senior year of HS and was still injured his entire freshman year and medically redshirted. Can't really fault him for that.

His limited minutes as a soph appear to be a combination of still getting back to 100% health, rust, and being young but also because Maryland hired a new HC in Kevin Willard who didn't recruit Cornish. Wasn't one of "his" guys.

Not saying he's going to set the world on fire here. Just saying your above characterization isn't really fair.
Back to Top
  
Jerry86
General User

Member Since: 12/18/2010
Post Count: 645

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 6'6 SF Ike Cornish (University of Maryland) - Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 4/21/2023 11:45:51 PM 
I tend to agree with Ruck. He's a 4 star. Sounds good. That said, made no impact at Maryland.

Shall we revisit recent 4-star recruits?

https://www.si.com/college/louisville/basketball/cards-of...


The University of Louisville men's basketball program is the latest to officially offer a scholarship to four-star Class of 2021 center Gabe Wiznitzer, he announced Monday.



Back to Top
  
GraffZ06
General User



Member Since: 1/5/2005
Location: Dayton, OH
Post Count: 1,900

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 6'6 SF Ike Cornish (University of Maryland) - Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 4/22/2023 12:21:37 AM 
Again, I agree that highly rated does not automatically imply success. Just like 1st rd draft picks in the NFL aren't always all pros.

But just because the boards favorite whipping boy, which gets brought up in LITERALLY every thread, was a highly rated recruit certainly shouldn't equate to avoiding those guys either.

Cornish doesn't have productive stats at the D1 level yet. He might never. But as a mid major you aren't always going to get sure fire 4/5 star talent with proven track records. But you need a couple of those guys that fell through the cracks or developed from under the radar if you want to compete with the big boys on the national scene.

Maryland fans who saw him more often than me or you thought he was a P5 talent. Boals and company certainly have a better feel for Ike's potential and fit combined with his pedigree. If it's a hit it's a HUGE hit. The types of risks you have to take at this level IMO.

But sure. The board geniuses know more than most D1 staffs. They were all fools for ranking Gabe high. You guys would have known better so we should probably defer to you on Cornish. He played one year at Maryland and wasn't even a starter. He probably sucks.

Last Edited: 4/22/2023 12:33:58 AM by GraffZ06

Back to Top
  
GraffZ06
General User



Member Since: 1/5/2005
Location: Dayton, OH
Post Count: 1,900

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 6'6 SF Ike Cornish (University of Maryland) - Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 4/22/2023 12:26:15 AM 
Oh and I'm sticking to bringing up Quinn Corna for every Wiz post so here goes.

Corna didn't need to play in more than 5 games last year. Didn't want to put too many miles on the legs before the NBA comes calling.

That Burrito Buggy and Larry Conrath Realty NIL $$$ spends regardless.
Back to Top
  
FormerMember
General User

Member Since: 1/7/2022
Post Count: 145

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 6'6 SF Ike Cornish (University of Maryland) - Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 4/22/2023 7:44:47 AM 
Jerry86 wrote:
I tend to agree with Ruck. He's a 4 star. Sounds good. That said, made no impact at Maryland.

Shall we revisit recent 4-star recruits?

https://www.si.com/college/louisville/basketball/cards-of...


The University of Louisville men's basketball program is the latest to officially offer a scholarship to four-star Class of 2021 center Gabe Wiznitzer, he announced Monday.





It's widely known that it takes longer to develop big men than guards and wings. I think the Wiznitzer comparisons are pretty poor.

Sure, he and Ike Cornish are both former highly touted recruits from power programs that didn't see the court much before transferring but that's where it ends.

I'm not going to guarantee that Cornish works out in Athens but there's differences between the two of them. The MAC is a league that rewards athleticism. Worst case, Ike should be a decent contributor at this level.

Last Edited: 4/22/2023 12:23:06 PM by FormerMember

Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 14,016

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 6'6 SF Ike Cornish (University of Maryland) - Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 4/22/2023 10:35:31 AM 
I'll go on record as saying that I think Wiz 2.0 next year will be considerably better than Wiz 1.0 this year.


The only BLSS Certified Hypocrite on BA

"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
Andrew Ruck
General User



Member Since: 12/22/2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 4,694

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 6'6 SF Ike Cornish (University of Maryland) - Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 4/24/2023 9:11:53 AM 
I'm not sure where the kickback is directed, but I never said he was another Wiz...just that I have post-Wiz trust issues with P5 transfers that make me curtail my excitement. I also am not questioning the staff's assessment of Cornish and never disliked the add. All I am saying is he is a bit of an unknown commodity and I'm excited to see him on the court. I just hope he can shoot.


Andrew Ruck
B.B.A. 2003

Back to Top
  
CatsUp
General User

Member Since: 4/15/2019
Post Count: 730

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 6'6 SF Ike Cornish (University of Maryland) - Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 4/24/2023 10:19:25 AM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
I'll go on record as saying that I think Wiz 2.0 next year will be considerably better than Wiz 1.0 this year.


I cautiously agree OCF. Although the pick attempts, weak hands and excessive fouling was maddening much of the time, there were a few, fleeting moments last season when he made plays that I thought to myself we don’t have anyone else on the team who could do that. Now he needs to take the big step, work and make it much more frequently.
Back to Top
  
Cellis033
General User



Member Since: 11/11/2021
Location: Powell, OH
Post Count: 1,565

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 6'6 SF Ike Cornish (University of Maryland) - Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 4/24/2023 12:58:17 PM 
CatsUp wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
I'll go on record as saying that I think Wiz 2.0 next year will be considerably better than Wiz 1.0 this year.


I cautiously agree OCF. Although the pick attempts, weak hands and excessive fouling was maddening much of the time, there were a few, fleeting moments last season when he made plays that I thought to myself we don’t have anyone else on the team who could do that. Now he needs to take the big step, work and make it much more frequently.


Agree with both of these takes. While yes the Whiz made me want to pull my hair out at times last year I'm thinking a summer of practice / scrimmaging might do wonders for him. He likely had to go back to square one in transferring here and learn an entirely new system compared to L'sville.


Chase
OU Engineering Technology and Management '24
Future Honda of America Engineer
Bringing the noise!

Muck Fiami
Kant read, Kant write
Bowling Green Normie School

Back to Top
  
OU_Country
General User



Member Since: 12/6/2005
Location: On the road between Athens and Madison County
Post Count: 8,320

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 6'6 SF Ike Cornish (University of Maryland) - Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 4/24/2023 3:50:32 PM 
I'm not sure if this is supposed to be cute and funny, or not.

I think what Jeff is implying is that no recruiting websites most of us consume rate high school players as "zero stars". After the top (however many - 200-250?) they just don't rate players. Also, it's worth noting that at the time he was signed, not all of the recruiting sites rated Mark Sears. He flew under the radar for whatever reason.

I also noted that Verbal Commits seems to no longer include stars on their site, which is interesting.


M.D.W.S.T wrote:


Jeff McKinney wrote:
M.D.W.S.T wrote:

Sheldon is a walk-on or something right? 0-star with no other offers in D1. I figured it was a Boals favor to a friend in Dublin. I never thought he was in their long-term plans. Nichol is a freshman, but I'm sure he's watching. I agree that his best chance at playing is at the 4/5.


Sheldon did have a couple other D1 offers, I believe. One was from an upper level SoCon program. And he wasn't zero stars.



My apologies to your son, Mr. Sheldon. 4 stars in your heart, 0 stars to every recruiting website.

0 - https://247sports.com/player/ajay-sheldon-46118444 /
0 - https://www.on3.com/db/ajay-sheldon-147305/recruiting/156... /
0 - https://prephoops.com/player/ajay-sheldon /
0 - Doesn't even have a profile on ESPN

How could I forget his illustrious list of other offers:

FURMAN
Elon
Wofford



Back to Top
  
Jeff McKinney
Moderator

Member Since: 11/12/2004
Post Count: 6,043

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 6'6 SF Ike Cornish (University of Maryland) - Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 4/24/2023 5:08:58 PM 
Plus, Furman and Wofford would be upper division in the MAC. And saying he is a walk on isn't true. Just don't want to insult the young man because he is still developing into a consistent D1 player.
Back to Top
  
The Optimist
General User



Member Since: 3/16/2007
Location: CLE
Post Count: 5,552

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 6'6 SF Ike Cornish (University of Maryland) - Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 4/24/2023 7:57:16 PM 
I don't really view this as Ike vs Miles or Ike compared to Wiz etc etc

I am very excited about the addition of Ike. Both Jaylin and Miles shot over 100 attempts from 3 this year at >40%. Those generally aren't guys who are going to lose their starting roles... However, I do think what Jaylin and Miles lack is exactly what Ike brings to the table: Length/defense.

It doesn't matter who starts. All three will get very good minutes next year. My guess is Ike will play a lot even if he isn't a guy scoring a ton. His defensive presence is going to be crucial.Offensively, he does seem to fit well with this group if he can drive/kick.

I'm very curious to see how small Boals is willing to go with these lineups. Would he play a lineup like Jaylin/Brown/Brown/Ike/Clayton or is that too small?
Clayton is not anywhere near the physical presence Dwight was but he did lead the team in blocks and would be an absolute nightmare offensively for opposing centers...


I've seen crazier things happen.

Back to Top
  
bobcatsquared
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 5,034

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 6'6 SF Ike Cornish (University of Maryland) - Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 4/24/2023 9:00:51 PM 
The Optimist wrote:
Clayton is not anywhere near the physical presence Dwight was but he did lead the team in blocks and would be an absolute nightmare offensively for opposing centers...


Not sure I've seen enough in 2 years from Clayton to make me think he'd be an "absolute nightmare" offensively for opposing centers. I believe our starting center is not yet on OUr roster.

And on the topic of OUr starting backcourt: I've been of the belief for 2 years that for Ohio to compete against the top MAC teams, it is time to move on from the Miles/BRod combo on the perimeter. And time to run with the new wing players, namely AJB and Elmore James.

Last Edited: 4/24/2023 9:05:07 PM by bobcatsquared

Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 1,188

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 6'6 SF Ike Cornish (University of Maryland) - Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 4/25/2023 8:59:59 AM 
The Optimist wrote:
I don't really view this as Ike vs Miles or Ike compared to Wiz etc etc

I am very excited about the addition of Ike. Both Jaylin and Miles shot over 100 attempts from 3 this year at >40%. Those generally aren't guys who are going to lose their starting roles... However, I do think what Jaylin and Miles lack is exactly what Ike brings to the table: Length/defense.

It doesn't matter who starts. All three will get very good minutes next year. My guess is Ike will play a lot even if he isn't a guy scoring a ton. His defensive presence is going to be crucial.Offensively, he does seem to fit well with this group if he can drive/kick.

I'm very curious to see how small Boals is willing to go with these lineups. Would he play a lineup like Jaylin/Brown/Brown/Ike/Clayton or is that too small?
Clayton is not anywhere near the physical presence Dwight was but he did lead the team in blocks and would be an absolute nightmare offensively for opposing centers...


+1. Ike and Shereef joined while the others remained. Meaning, they’re all bought into Boals’ vision and each will get their minutes.

Granted Toledo failed to win the MAC yet again, both Schumate and Miltner are only 6’7. So, I don’t think the lineup you proposed would be too small. Foster (if he commits) is also just 6’7. He just knows how to use his body.
Back to Top
  
bobcatsquared
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 5,034

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 6'6 SF Ike Cornish (University of Maryland) - Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 4/25/2023 10:53:33 AM 
FJC31 wrote:
Granted Toledo failed to win the MAC yet again, both Schumate and Miltner are only 6’7. So, I don’t think the lineup you proposed would be too small. Foster (if he commits) is also just 6’7. He just knows how to use his body.


Schumate? Miltner?

Is FJC31 really Frank Morgan, one-time SID at Ohio?
Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 1,188

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 6'6 SF Ike Cornish (University of Maryland) - Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 4/25/2023 11:17:39 AM 
bobcatsquared wrote:
FJC31 wrote:
Granted Toledo failed to win the MAC yet again, both Schumate and Miltner are only 6’7. So, I don’t think the lineup you proposed would be too small. Foster (if he commits) is also just 6’7. He just knows how to use his body.


Schumate? Miltner?

Is FJC31 really Frank Morgan, one-time SID at Ohio?


Na, he just has fat typing thumbs and phone autocorrect shortcomings.
Back to Top
  
Jeff McKinney
Moderator

Member Since: 11/12/2004
Post Count: 6,043

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 6'6 SF Ike Cornish (University of Maryland) - Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 4/25/2023 11:44:20 AM 
Ha!
Back to Top
  
OU_Country
General User



Member Since: 12/6/2005
Location: On the road between Athens and Madison County
Post Count: 8,320

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 6'6 SF Ike Cornish (University of Maryland) - Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 4/26/2023 8:55:57 AM 
FJC31 wrote:
The Optimist wrote:
I don't really view this as Ike vs Miles or Ike compared to Wiz etc etc

I am very excited about the addition of Ike. Both Jaylin and Miles shot over 100 attempts from 3 this year at >40%. Those generally aren't guys who are going to lose their starting roles... However, I do think what Jaylin and Miles lack is exactly what Ike brings to the table: Length/defense.

It doesn't matter who starts. All three will get very good minutes next year. My guess is Ike will play a lot even if he isn't a guy scoring a ton. His defensive presence is going to be crucial.Offensively, he does seem to fit well with this group if he can drive/kick.

I'm very curious to see how small Boals is willing to go with these lineups. Would he play a lineup like Jaylin/Brown/Brown/Ike/Clayton or is that too small?
Clayton is not anywhere near the physical presence Dwight was but he did lead the team in blocks and would be an absolute nightmare offensively for opposing centers...


+1. Ike and Shereef joined while the others remained. Meaning, they’re all bought into Boals’ vision and each will get their minutes.

Granted Toledo failed to win the MAC yet again, both Schumate and Miltner are only 6’7. So, I don’t think the lineup you proposed would be too small. Foster (if he commits) is also just 6’7. He just knows how to use his body.


I honestly think that a team could win the MAC with 5 guards starting, as long as a couple of them are 6'5"+. It's about quality of player vs size in my book. Now, that same team might really struggle with any P6 type team out there in the non-conf or post season, so assembling a team that way isn't a great plan for any kind of national success.

Re: Foster, is there any real info out there that he's interested in coming to Ohio, or is this just speculation and hope so far?
Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 1,188

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: 2023 6'6 SF Ike Cornish (University of Maryland) - Ohio TRANSFER Commit
   Posted: 4/26/2023 9:39:57 AM 
OU_Country wrote:
FJC31 wrote:
The Optimist wrote:
I don't really view this as Ike vs Miles or Ike compared to Wiz etc etc

I am very excited about the addition of Ike. Both Jaylin and Miles shot over 100 attempts from 3 this year at >40%. Those generally aren't guys who are going to lose their starting roles... However, I do think what Jaylin and Miles lack is exactly what Ike brings to the table: Length/defense.

It doesn't matter who starts. All three will get very good minutes next year. My guess is Ike will play a lot even if he isn't a guy scoring a ton. His defensive presence is going to be crucial.Offensively, he does seem to fit well with this group if he can drive/kick.

I'm very curious to see how small Boals is willing to go with these lineups. Would he play a lineup like Jaylin/Brown/Brown/Ike/Clayton or is that too small?
Clayton is not anywhere near the physical presence Dwight was but he did lead the team in blocks and would be an absolute nightmare offensively for opposing centers...


+1. Ike and Shereef joined while the others remained. Meaning, they’re all bought into Boals’ vision and each will get their minutes.

Granted Toledo failed to win the MAC yet again, both Schumate and Miltner are only 6’7. So, I don’t think the lineup you proposed would be too small. Foster (if he commits) is also just 6’7. He just knows how to use his body.


I honestly think that a team could win the MAC with 5 guards starting, as long as a couple of them are 6'5"+. It's about quality of player vs size in my book. Now, that same team might really struggle with any P6 type team out there in the non-conf or post season, so assembling a team that way isn't a great plan for any kind of national success.

Re: Foster, is there any real info out there that he's interested in coming to Ohio, or is this just speculation and hope so far?



I think it’s fair to say we’re a school of interest; but now we’re just hoping we’re THE school of interest. He’s visited, follows staff and some players, liked the Shereef/Ike commitment posts. However, we don’t know what other schools are offering (NIL) or if another school school has become more aggressive in pursuit recently.

I’m hopeful he chooses us, but I think at this point I’d just like to know one way or the other. Still plenty of bigs in the portal to fill our need.

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  26 - 50  of 59 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Basketball Recruiting' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             







Copyright ©2024 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties