Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
The O Zone
Topic:  History of WT/LT

Topic:  History of WT/LT
Author
Message
Cellis033
General User



Member Since: 11/11/2021
Location: Powell, OH
Post Count: 1,442

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  History of WT/LT
   Posted: 2/14/2023 11:51:21 AM 
Hey all! Wanted to ask a question regarding our WT/LT chant. Ive heard multiple sources say it was created in the 1960s but also some that say it surfaced in the 80s. Wanted to ask when it originated on campus as Im very curious!


Chase
OU Engineering Technology and Management '24
O-Zone President
Bringing the noise!

Muck Fiami
Kent read, Kent write, Can't be a state!
Bowling Green Normal School

Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 13,750

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: History of WT/LT
   Posted: 2/14/2023 12:11:45 PM 
I graduated in 1968 and I dont recall it at that time. I think it started in the 1980s. Perhaps, it was used earlier sporadically, but not on a regular basis as far as I remember. As I mentioned in another thread, the cheer Rip em up, Tear em up, Give em Hell, OHIO! was used at both football and basketball games back then, and it might be considered for resurrection in the 21st Century. It certainly has more oomph to it then, Roll Bobbies, which I thoroughly detest.


The only BLSS Certified Hypocrite on BA

"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
stub
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 990

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: History of WT/LT
   Posted: 2/15/2023 12:43:54 PM 
'Winning Team Losing Team'(previously'Scoreboard') has been a chant here for a long time, some of you might know when it started. But it didn't originate here. I recall it being used on the West Coast in the 80's, including UCLA I think, although I don't know if it started there. It then migrated around, including some high schools, but eventually faded out, but not here, so the longest continual use of it may be here. It's been popular at Utah State for some time, which can be seen on YouTube.

Last Edited: 2/15/2023 12:49:41 PM by stub

Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 5,636

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: History of WT/LT
   Posted: 2/15/2023 12:54:07 PM 
UCLA has the "frisbee" chant which is a little similar, but is a pregame chant.

I thought I heard it was used here in the 80s then went away for awhile. When the O Zone was first created, there was a pick your seat event at the Convo for students. Assistant coach John Rhodes, who was a player for the Bobcats in the 80s, spoke about the chant at the event and I think Dan Lowe took it ran with it for the season. The custom became that there would be a designated senior who would lead it every game throughout a season and they would pass the privilege to a rising senior to lead it the next season.
Back to Top
  
Ryan Carey
Site Programmer



Member Since: 11/11/2004
Post Count: 942

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: History of WT/LT
   Posted: 2/15/2023 12:56:33 PM 
NM, Shab beat me to it 🤣

Last Edited: 2/15/2023 12:57:55 PM by Ryan Carey


Ryan M. Carey
BBA 2001

Back to Top
  
Cellis033
General User



Member Since: 11/11/2021
Location: Powell, OH
Post Count: 1,442

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: History of WT/LT
   Posted: 2/15/2023 4:55:20 PM 
shabamon wrote:
UCLA has the "frisbee" chant which is a little similar, but is a pregame chant.

I thought I heard it was used here in the 80s then went away for awhile. When the O Zone was first created, there was a pick your seat event at the Convo for students. Assistant coach John Rhodes, who was a player for the Bobcats in the 80s, spoke about the chant at the event and I think Dan Lowe took it ran with it for the season. The custom became that there would be a designated senior who would lead it every game throughout a season and they would pass the privilege to a rising senior to lead it the next season.


Very cool to hear the rise of it and initial revival in the 2000's - I think we are making more kids aware of it and how it goes - many of them have so much fun doing it. Only critique is 110 tends to rush it at the end and it bugs me to no end.


Chase
OU Engineering Technology and Management '24
O-Zone President
Bringing the noise!

Muck Fiami
Kent read, Kent write, Can't be a state!
Bowling Green Normal School

Back to Top
  
SBH
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,513

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: History of WT/LT
   Posted: 2/18/2023 10:16:13 AM 
My high school used it in the 1970s. Of course we didn't have the chance to use it a lot. I remember it being used as early as 1973 when my brother played varsity bball in Akron.
Back to Top
  
Deciduous Forest Cat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Ohio
Post Count: 4,154

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: History of WT/LT
   Posted: 2/18/2023 10:40:26 AM 
listen, it's really time to retire this thing. Maybe Bring it out once in a while for a big game with a great student turnout. But the whole idea that the 110 has to lead this thing means it's on life support anyway. Just focus on student presence and engagement.
Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 5,636

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: History of WT/LT
   Posted: 2/18/2023 4:30:29 PM 
The chant is good if it's done right, and you don't need a huge crowd to do it right. 1) The band can't lead it 2) SLOW. DOWN. It should echo and last for a while 3) Lead it from the half court. Don't get cliquey right next to the band.
Back to Top
  
Deciduous Forest Cat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Ohio
Post Count: 4,154

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: History of WT/LT
   Posted: 2/18/2023 5:18:04 PM 
shabamon wrote:
The chant is good if it's done right, and you don't need a huge crowd to do it right. 1) The band can't lead it 2) SLOW. DOWN. It should echo and last for a while 3) Lead it from the half court. Don't get cliquey right next to the band.


But the band does lead it. That's what I hear. It's lame unless the student section is full and everyone is on board. Just let it die.
Back to Top
  
stub
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 990

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: History of WT/LT
   Posted: 2/19/2023 11:47:59 AM 
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:
shabamon wrote:
The chant is good if it's done right, and you don't need a huge crowd to do it right. 1) The band can't lead it 2) SLOW. DOWN. It should echo and last for a while 3) Lead it from the half court. Don't get cliquey right next to the band.


But the band does lead it. That's what I hear. It's lame unless the student section is full and everyone is on board. Just let it die.



If you don't let it die, then you should do things that will make it more effective, including the 3 points raised above. Maybe move some band members to half court for the chant as a transition to the crowd leading. And it's usually better to start it during no action times (unless the opponents are shooting free throws).

Last Edited: 2/20/2023 12:56:00 PM by stub

Back to Top
  
Cellis033
General User



Member Since: 11/11/2021
Location: Powell, OH
Post Count: 1,442

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: History of WT/LT
   Posted: 2/21/2023 4:57:06 PM 
stub wrote:
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:
shabamon wrote:
The chant is good if it's done right, and you don't need a huge crowd to do it right. 1) The band can't lead it 2) SLOW. DOWN. It should echo and last for a while 3) Lead it from the half court. Don't get cliquey right next to the band.


But the band does lead it. That's what I hear. It's lame unless the student section is full and everyone is on board. Just let it die.



If you don't let it die, then you should do things that will make it more effective, including the 3 points raised above. Maybe move some band members to half court for the chant as a transition to the crowd leading. And it's usually better to start it during no action times (unless the opponents are shooting free throws).



Agree. I want to try leading it from the center of the section instead of by the band. Personally, I hate their insistence to lead it and rush it at the end, but a few of them were pretty mad when I led for the WMU game. I'm trying to ask for us to lead it full time but its clear the 110 doesn't want to let go of leading it. Going to try and lead it tonight though.


Chase
OU Engineering Technology and Management '24
O-Zone President
Bringing the noise!

Muck Fiami
Kent read, Kent write, Can't be a state!
Bowling Green Normal School

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 12  of 12 Posts
Jump to Page:  1
View Other 'The O Zone' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             







Copyright ©2023 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties