Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Football
Topic:  Scott Frost Fired by Nebraska

Topic:  Scott Frost Fired by Nebraska
Author
Message
Trevor Stephens
General User

Member Since: 12/13/2017
Post Count: 102

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  Scott Frost Fired by Nebraska
   Posted: 9/11/2022 1:40:10 PM 
On Sunday, Sept. 11, Nebraska Vice Chancellor/Director of Athletics Trev Alberts released the following statement:

"Earlier today I met with Coach Frost and informed him we were making a change in the leadership of our football program, effective immediately. Scott has poured his heart and soul into the Nebraska football program both as a quarterback and head coach, and I appreciate his work and dedication.

"After the disappointing start to our season, I decided the best path forward for our program was to make a change in our head coaching position. Associate Head Coach Mickey Joseph will serve as our interim head coach for the remainder of the 2022 season."

Last Edited: 9/11/2022 1:40:32 PM by Trevor Stephens

Back to Top
  
BryanHall
General User

Member Since: 9/11/2010
Post Count: 320

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Scott Frost Fired by Nebraska
   Posted: 9/11/2022 1:46:29 PM 
Trevor Stephens wrote:
On Sunday, Sept. 11, Nebraska Vice Chancellor/Director of Athletics Trev Alberts released the following statement:

"Earlier today I met with Coach Frost and informed him we were making a change in the leadership of our football program, effective immediately. Scott has poured his heart and soul into the Nebraska football program both as a quarterback and head coach, and I appreciate his work and dedication.

"After the disappointing start to our season, I decided the best path forward for our program was to make a change in our head coaching position. Associate Head Coach Mickey Joseph will serve as our interim head coach for the remainder of the 2022 season."


I think we have the top candidate to be Albin's successor! I hope I'm not getting ahead of myself here.
Back to Top
  
Pete Chouteau
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2004
Location: The Sad Man on the Right
Post Count: 1,540

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Scott Frost Fired by Nebraska
   Posted: 9/11/2022 1:50:23 PM 
Why would you entertain hiring a tire fire?
Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 8,810

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Scott Frost Fired by Nebraska
   Posted: 9/11/2022 1:52:34 PM 
After going 19-7 at UCF he was 16-31 at Nebraska. Flash in the pan or in over his head?


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
BobcatSports
General User

Member Since: 2/2/2006
Post Count: 998

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Scott Frost Fired by Nebraska
   Posted: 9/11/2022 3:24:01 PM 
The Huskers havenít been worth a Fiddlers -uck since they ďGOTĒ Frank. Karmaís a bitch.
Back to Top
  
BryanHall
General User

Member Since: 9/11/2010
Post Count: 320

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Scott Frost Fired by Nebraska
   Posted: 9/11/2022 5:37:44 PM 
Pete Chouteau wrote:
Why would you entertain hiring a tire fire?


I just speculated. If Albin is gone after this year I think they would consult Solich in the process. I would assume his name would be mentioned as a candidate.
Back to Top
  
cc-cat
General User

Member Since: 4/5/2006
Location: matthews, NC
Post Count: 3,610

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Scott Frost Fired by Nebraska
   Posted: 9/11/2022 6:36:20 PM 
Nebraska is no longer relevant and we should not take a retread. There is no "solich" tree or legacy that should be considered.
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 12,491

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: Scott Frost Fired by Nebraska
   Posted: 9/11/2022 6:55:27 PM 
I'm not ready to give up on this season yet, but if we do tank as the former-poster friend who I quoted earlier is predicting, then I'd be surprised if Frost is not in the picture. He may, indeed, be one of those coaches who does his best work building up a program from obscurity as he did with UCF than guiding a program that's already a legendary one, not withstanding the faded glory since they don't GOT Frank anymore.


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 8,810

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Scott Frost Fired by Nebraska
   Posted: 9/11/2022 8:11:34 PM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
I'm not ready to give up on this season yet, but if we do tank as the former-poster friend who I quoted earlier is predicting, then I'd be surprised if Frost is not in the picture. He may, indeed, be one of those coaches who does his best work building up a program from obscurity as he did with UCF than guiding a program that's already a legendary one, not withstanding the faded glory since they don't GOT Frank anymore.


We do have Nebraska on our schedule in 2026. Would be interesting.


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
71 BOBCAT
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 1,733

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Scott Frost Fired by Nebraska
   Posted: 9/12/2022 7:51:44 AM 
Coach Solich still owns the best winning % of all the coaches that followed him @ Nebraska. Interesting, very interesting.







GO BOBCATS
Back to Top
  
giacomo
General User

Member Since: 11/20/2007
Post Count: 2,251

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Scott Frost Fired by Nebraska
   Posted: 9/12/2022 12:53:45 PM 
https://www.wsj.com/articles/sun-belt-college-football-ma...

From the WSJ today.

Nebraska is paying him 16.2M on his buyout. If they waited until Oct 1 to fire him, it would have reduced the buyout by 8M. Smart. And some wonder why the kids want to get paid.

Iíve said it before and Iíll say it again. If Iím a Nebraska alum, donít ask me for a donation.
Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Post Count: 6,298

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Scott Frost Fired by Nebraska
   Posted: 9/12/2022 1:11:20 PM 
Pataskala wrote:
After going 19-7 at UCF he was 16-31 at Nebraska. Flash in the pan or in over his head?


I think he's a good coach, but a few points here:

-UCF has one of the highest enrollments in the country and was growing at a rapid pace when he got there. Miami, Florida and Florida State haven't been as dominant as they used to be, so they kind of took advantage of a lot of different factors pointing in their direction.

-What made Nebraska great in the 70s, 80s and 90s just isn't going to happen anymore. Strength and conditioning program? Everyone has that. Walk-on program? Everyone has that. They're just not getting the talent they used to.

-Dovetailing from that: the move to the Big Ten has absolutely killed their recruiting. They used to pull guys from Texas because they could tell their moms and dads they'd be playing a few games there every year or so.

Back to Top
  
colobobcat66
General User

Member Since: 9/1/2006
Location: Watching the bobcats run outside my window., CO
Post Count: 3,721

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Scott Frost Fired by Nebraska
   Posted: 9/12/2022 3:20:12 PM 
GoCats105 wrote:
Pataskala wrote:
After going 19-7 at UCF he was 16-31 at Nebraska. Flash in the pan or in over his head?


I think he's a good coach, but a few points here:

-UCF has one of the highest enrollments in the country and was growing at a rapid pace when he got there. Miami, Florida and Florida State haven't been as dominant as they used to be, so they kind of took advantage of a lot of different factors pointing in their direction.

-What made Nebraska great in the 70s, 80s and 90s just isn't going to happen anymore. Strength and conditioning program? Everyone has that. Walk-on program? Everyone has that. They're just not getting the talent they used to.

-Dovetailing from that: the move to the Big Ten has absolutely killed their recruiting. They used to pull guys from Texas because they could tell their moms and dads they'd be playing a few games there every year or so.



It helps to have 2 hall of fame coaches as well. Of course you can argue that having the jimmys and Joeís make good coaches great.

Iím not sure that Nebraska was ever a top 10 recruiting school, but they had a system that worked in the 70ís -90ís, not so much anymore.

Iím not sure how heavily Nebraska ever recruited Texas, but i would think that having every game on tv would help overcome not playing in Texas every other year or do.
Back to Top
  
IceCat76
General User

Member Since: 12/5/2016
Location: Byfield, MA
Post Count: 199

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Scott Frost Fired by Nebraska
   Posted: 9/12/2022 4:15:08 PM 
giacomo wrote:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/sun-belt-college-football-ma...

From the WSJ today.

Nebraska is paying him 16.2M on his buyout. If they waited until Oct 1 to fire him, it would have reduced the buyout by 8M. Smart. And some wonder why the kids want to get paid.

Iíve said it before and Iíll say it again. If Iím a Nebraska alum, donít ask me for a donation.


It's the alums and boosters that are pushing him out the door. His buyout money is no issue to the high rollers.
Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 8,810

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Scott Frost Fired by Nebraska
   Posted: 9/12/2022 4:22:52 PM 
IceCat76 wrote:
giacomo wrote:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/sun-belt-college-football-ma...

From the WSJ today.

Nebraska is paying him 16.2M on his buyout. If they waited until Oct 1 to fire him, it would have reduced the buyout by 8M. Smart. And some wonder why the kids want to get paid.

Iíve said it before and Iíll say it again. If Iím a Nebraska alum, donít ask me for a donation.


It's the alums and boosters that are pushing him out the door. His buyout money is no issue to the high rollers.


I'm sure some cash cow(s) wrote a check to the athletics dept to make it happen.


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
BobcatSports
General User

Member Since: 2/2/2006
Post Count: 998

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Scott Frost Fired by Nebraska
   Posted: 9/12/2022 4:36:02 PM 
What possible difference would it have made for Nebraska to wait until October to jettison him? Some big Alum must really be mad at his money to pony up the full amount when you could have saved significant MILLIONS by holding your nose for a few more weeks.
Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Post Count: 6,298

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Scott Frost Fired by Nebraska
   Posted: 9/12/2022 4:40:11 PM 
BobcatSports wrote:
What possible difference would it have made for Nebraska to wait until October to jettison him? Some big Alum must really be mad at his money to pony up the full amount when you could have saved significant MILLIONS by holding your nose for a few more weeks.


Really the only reason is to be able to get a jump start on their coaching search before the inevitable next coach gets fired. Auburn might be up next if Harsin doesn't show something quick. Keep an eye out for the Penn State game.

Also, they just didn't want to keep reading the bad press associated with losing with Frost. If you're gonna get crushed by Oklahoma, you may as well spin it like "oh well we just fired our coach, so there ya have it."
Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 9,467

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Scott Frost Fired by Nebraska
   Posted: 9/12/2022 5:18:43 PM 
GoCats105 wrote:
Pataskala wrote:
After going 19-7 at UCF he was 16-31 at Nebraska. Flash in the pan or in over his head?


I think he's a good coach, but a few points here:

-UCF has one of the highest enrollments in the country and was growing at a rapid pace when he got there. Miami, Florida and Florida State haven't been as dominant as they used to be, so they kind of took advantage of a lot of different factors pointing in their direction.

-What made Nebraska great in the 70s, 80s and 90s just isn't going to happen anymore. Strength and conditioning program? Everyone has that. Walk-on program? Everyone has that. They're just not getting the talent they used to.

-Dovetailing from that: the move to the Big Ten has absolutely killed their recruiting. They used to pull guys from Texas because they could tell their moms and dads they'd be playing a few games there every year or so.

I would say you nailed it, with one exception: Nutrition program? Everyone has one.


ďWe have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.Ē ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
Urban Bobcat
General User

Member Since: 9/14/2007
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 695

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Scott Frost Fired by Nebraska
   Posted: 9/12/2022 5:21:25 PM 
Not waiting until October to terminate Frost is just stupid.

Nebraska is by far the stupidest football program in the country.

They will continue to be the stupidest as long as they are in the soon to be Big20.


URBAN BOBCAT

Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 8,810

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Scott Frost Fired by Nebraska
   Posted: 9/12/2022 6:22:34 PM 
GoCats105 wrote:
BobcatSports wrote:
What possible difference would it have made for Nebraska to wait until October to jettison him? Some big Alum must really be mad at his money to pony up the full amount when you could have saved significant MILLIONS by holding your nose for a few more weeks.


Really the only reason is to be able to get a jump start on their coaching search before the inevitable next coach gets fired. Auburn might be up next if Harsin doesn't show something quick. Keep an eye out for the Penn State game.

Also, they just didn't want to keep reading the bad press associated with losing with Frost. If you're gonna get crushed by Oklahoma, you may as well spin it like "oh well we just fired our coach, so there ya have it."


Plus, after Okla they have a week off before getting into the heart of the B10 schedule, starting with Indiana. It gives Mickey Joseph an extra week for prep time. If they had waited until October 1, that would've wasted a week of practices, unless they were to just tell Frost to take the week off. in which case his lawyers would probably argue that he had been constructively discharged and should get the extra $7.5 million anyway.


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
Buckeye to Bobcat
General User

Member Since: 9/10/2013
Post Count: 1,683

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Scott Frost Fired by Nebraska
   Posted: 9/12/2022 7:02:16 PM 
Realistically their search will (and I think should) go after one of three people:

1. Mark Stoops (Kentucky)
2. Matt Campbell (Iowa State)
3. Matt Entz (NDSU)

Anything outside of this is gonna take either some serious research or serious desperation (think Urban Meyer).

Nebraska needs to be positioned for the ability to recruit midwest and at the same time gear up for California recruiting. Prime opportunities with USC and UCLA joining the league.
Back to Top
  
cc-cat
General User

Member Since: 4/5/2006
Location: matthews, NC
Post Count: 3,610

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Scott Frost Fired by Nebraska
   Posted: 9/12/2022 7:51:09 PM 
Donít count out Matt Rhule. still very good chance heís available sooner than later this season.
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 12,491

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: Scott Frost Fired by Nebraska
   Posted: 9/12/2022 7:57:42 PM 
Buckeye to Bobcat wrote:
Realistically their search will (and I think should) go after one of three people:

1. Mark Stoops (Kentucky)
2. Matt Campbell (Iowa State)
3. Matt Entz (NDSU)

Anything outside of this is gonna take either some serious research or serious desperation (think Urban Meyer).

Nebraska needs to be positioned for the ability to recruit midwest and at the same time gear up for California recruiting. Prime opportunities with USC and UCLA joining the league.


Hey, Suburban Meyer is available! ;-)


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
Buckeye to Bobcat
General User

Member Since: 9/10/2013
Post Count: 1,683

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Scott Frost Fired by Nebraska
   Posted: 9/12/2022 9:38:08 PM 
cc-cat wrote:
Donít count out Matt Rhule. still very good chance heís available sooner than later this season.


+1. From my friends in Ann Arbor, he was basically on the tarmac in Charlotte ready to go if Harbaugh took the job with the Vikings
Back to Top
  
colobobcat66
General User

Member Since: 9/1/2006
Location: Watching the bobcats run outside my window., CO
Post Count: 3,721

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Scott Frost Fired by Nebraska
   Posted: 9/13/2022 7:25:05 AM 
Buckeye to Bobcat wrote:
Realistically their search will (and I think should) go after one of three people:

1. Mark Stoops (Kentucky)
2. Matt Campbell (Iowa State)
3. Matt Entz (NDSU)

Anything outside of this is gonna take either some serious research or serious desperation (think Urban Meyer).

Nebraska needs to be positioned for the ability to recruit midwest and at the same time gear up for California recruiting. Prime opportunities with USC and UCLA joining the league.


Stoops is not stupid, donít see him taking that job when he continues to build his teams in the SEC.
Campbell is a possibility I guess, not sure heíd leave after all his time at Iowa state but maybe the money would be enough for him to take on that challenge.

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 25  of 72 Posts
Jump to Page:  1 | 2 | 3    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Football' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             







Copyright ©2022 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties