Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Football
Topic:  3rd String RB wants $100k NIL - You can't make this stuff up

Topic:  3rd String RB wants $100k NIL - You can't make this stuff up
Author
Message
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 9,535

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  3rd String RB wants $100k NIL - You can't make this stuff up
   Posted: 2/11/2024 8:48:46 AM 
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/maryland-coach-mik...
Back to Top
  
M.D.W.S.T
General User



Member Since: 12/23/2021
Post Count: 1,838

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 3rd String RB wants $100k NIL - You can't make this stuff up
   Posted: 2/11/2024 9:49:26 AM 
“While he didn’t name the player, 247 Sports does mention that backup running backs Antwain Littleton and Ramon Brown entered the transfer portal this offseason.

Littleton is now set to play for Temple, while Brown hasn’t landed with a new program.“

“Give me $100,000 or I walk! “

Walk then. Where do you think we’re getting $100K?

*Now without a team.*

Clown activities.

Last Edited: 2/11/2024 9:52:24 AM by M.D.W.S.T

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 9,535

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 3rd String RB wants $100k NIL - You can't make this stuff up
   Posted: 2/11/2024 11:31:10 AM 
M.D.W.S.T wrote:
“While he didn’t name the player, 247 Sports does mention that backup running backs Antwain Littleton and Ramon Brown entered the transfer portal this offseason.

Littleton is now set to play for Temple, while Brown hasn’t landed with a new program.“

“Give me $100,000 or I walk! “

Walk then. Where do you think we’re getting $100K?

*Now without a team.*

Clown activities.


You think the other got that kind of cash at Temple :-)

I feel for these young people who are being given poor advise from people who don't get it. The landscape has forever changed. And I do not see how making them employees will improve anything. Employees always want rasises, and these demands will still be out there. And you are correct, "Clown Activities"!
Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 7,027

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 3rd String RB wants $100k NIL - You can't make this stuff up
   Posted: 2/11/2024 12:17:36 PM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
M.D.W.S.T wrote:
“While he didn’t name the player, 247 Sports does mention that backup running backs Antwain Littleton and Ramon Brown entered the transfer portal this offseason.

Littleton is now set to play for Temple, while Brown hasn’t landed with a new program.“

“Give me $100,000 or I walk! “

Walk then. Where do you think we’re getting $100K?

*Now without a team.*

Clown activities.


You think the other got that kind of cash at Temple :-)

I feel for these young people who are being given poor advise from people who don't get it. The landscape has forever changed. And I do not see how making them employees will improve anything. Employees always want rasises, and these demands will still be out there. And you are correct, "Clown Activities"!


So if they were to become employees, theoretically they could be fired or traded for non-performance or other contractural provisions. Remind me, what does that have to do with getting an education?

Back to Top
  
Deciduous Forest Cat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Ohio
Post Count: 4,319

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 3rd String RB wants $100k NIL - You can't make this stuff up
   Posted: 2/11/2024 1:08:42 PM 
I thought the point of NIL was to allow athletes the opportunity to "earn" money.

Of course the burden is on the schools to fork over cash for nothing. Couldn't see that coming.
Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 10,080

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 3rd String RB wants $100k NIL - You can't make this stuff up
   Posted: 2/11/2024 1:51:59 PM 
Alan Swank wrote:
So if they were to become employees, theoretically they could be fired or traded for non-performance or other contractural provisions. Remind me, what does that have to do with getting an education?

Once upon a time, sports were tied to education based on the premise that, in order to have a sound mind, you should also have a sound body. You see that belief as early as grade school, where there is always a PE class mixed in with the academics. Sports have long been ingrained into university education with intramural sports, and club sports, and then varsity sports. You can't really argue that varsity sports haven't benefited universities, as the leading sports schools have become leading academic institutions as well, and have acquired leading endowments. Athletics have also boosted integration, and have strengthened bonds between schools and their alumni.

But, now the chickens are coming home to roost, and the athletes want a bigger piece of the pie. Will fans and alums tire of the player mobility, and the obvious lack of sports being an "amateur" endeavor, and cease their support? Will everyone just accept the new system, and pour money into NIL funds? Will Congress get involved and impose some special solution? Will universities spin off their sports teams as minor league professional teams? I have only questions, and no answers, but in the end, I think the deciding question is how much the fans will stand for. At one extreme, if they fill the NIL funds with money, current trends will continue. At the other extreme, if they stop buying tickets and stop attending game, there will be a fast reversal. I expect that the end will be somewhere in the middle between those two.

Last Edited: 2/11/2024 2:11:06 PM by L.C.


“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.” ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 7,027

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 3rd String RB wants $100k NIL - You can't make this stuff up
   Posted: 2/11/2024 2:09:00 PM 
L.C. wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
So if they were to become employees, theoretically they could be fired or traded for non-performance or other contractural provisions. Remind me, what does that have to do with getting an education?

Once upon a time, sports were tied to education based on the premise that, in order to have a sound mind, you should also have a sound body. You see that belief as early as grade school, where there is always a PE class mixed in with the academics. Sports have long been ingrained into university education with intramural sports, and club sports, and then varsity sports. You can't really argue that varsity sports haven't benefited universities, as the leading sports schools have become leading academic institutions as well, and have acquired leading endowments. Athletics have also boosted integration, and have strengthened bonds between schools and their alumni.

But, now the chickens are coming home to roost, and the athletes want a bigger piece of the pie. Will fans and alums tire of the player mobility, and the obvious lack of sports being an "amateur" endeavor, and cease their support? Will everyone just accept the new system, and pour money into NIL funds? Will Congress get involved and impose some special solution? Will universities spin off their sports teams as minor league professional teams? I have only questions, and no answers.


I think you're already seeing the answer to your first two questions - yes and no. I qualify that by defining people as the rank and file fan, not businesses, corporations, and the well-heeled. They will always spend money if the they see some personal benefit in it.

Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 10,080

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 3rd String RB wants $100k NIL - You can't make this stuff up
   Posted: 2/11/2024 2:54:54 PM 
Alan Swank wrote:
I think you're already seeing the answer to your first two questions - yes and no. I qualify that by defining people as the rank and file fan, not businesses, corporations, and the well-heeled. They will always spend money if the they see some personal benefit in it.

It's early, yet. The fans may grumble awhile then accept it, i don't know. I also don't know if the reaction at the highest levels is the same. OSU fans may well react differently than Ohio fans.


“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.” ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 3,304

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 3rd String RB wants $100k NIL - You can't make this stuff up
   Posted: 2/11/2024 5:54:11 PM 
BillyTheCat wrote:

I feel for these young people who are being given poor advise from people who don't get it. The landscape has forever changed. And I do not see how making them employees will improve anything. Employees always want rasises, and these demands will still be out there. And you are correct, "Clown Activities"!


Employment markets are much more transparent than the NIL is. Why is this kid asking for 100k? Because nobody has any idea what NIL deals pay. But labor markets are much less opaque. Employees always want raises, yes. But they also are able to easily assess their market value.

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 3,304

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 3rd String RB wants $100k NIL - You can't make this stuff up
   Posted: 2/11/2024 5:58:11 PM 
Alan Swank wrote:
L.C. wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
So if they were to become employees, theoretically they could be fired or traded for non-performance or other contractural provisions. Remind me, what does that have to do with getting an education?

Once upon a time, sports were tied to education based on the premise that, in order to have a sound mind, you should also have a sound body. You see that belief as early as grade school, where there is always a PE class mixed in with the academics. Sports have long been ingrained into university education with intramural sports, and club sports, and then varsity sports. You can't really argue that varsity sports haven't benefited universities, as the leading sports schools have become leading academic institutions as well, and have acquired leading endowments. Athletics have also boosted integration, and have strengthened bonds between schools and their alumni.

But, now the chickens are coming home to roost, and the athletes want a bigger piece of the pie. Will fans and alums tire of the player mobility, and the obvious lack of sports being an "amateur" endeavor, and cease their support? Will everyone just accept the new system, and pour money into NIL funds? Will Congress get involved and impose some special solution? Will universities spin off their sports teams as minor league professional teams? I have only questions, and no answers.


I think you're already seeing the answer to your first two questions - yes and no. I qualify that by defining people as the rank and file fan, not businesses, corporations, and the well-heeled. They will always spend money if the they see some personal benefit in it.



TV ratings for the football playoff were up 45% year over year. There's not much to suggest yet that fan interest is being impacted by player movement.

Here, all of the people insisting that's the case are still posting here at the same rate, and still supporting Ohio sports.
Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 3,304

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 3rd String RB wants $100k NIL - You can't make this stuff up
   Posted: 2/11/2024 6:00:54 PM 
Alan Swank wrote:


So if they were to become employees, theoretically they could be fired or traded for non-performance or other contractural provisions. Remind me, what does that have to do with getting an education?



Players who don't perform on the field have been losing their scholarships for years. For basically as long as athletic scholarships have existed.

Remind me, what does that have to do with getting an education?

Back to Top
  
D.A.
General User

Member Since: 8/6/2010
Location: Georgetown, ME
Post Count: 1,177

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 3rd String RB wants $100k NIL - You can't make this stuff up
   Posted: 2/11/2024 6:32:12 PM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
L.C. wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
So if they were to become employees, theoretically they could be fired or traded for non-performance or other contractural provisions. Remind me, what does that have to do with getting an education?

Once upon a time, sports were tied to education based on the premise that, in order to have a sound mind, you should also have a sound body. You see that belief as early as grade school, where there is always a PE class mixed in with the academics. Sports have long been ingrained into university education with intramural sports, and club sports, and then varsity sports. You can't really argue that varsity sports haven't benefited universities, as the leading sports schools have become leading academic institutions as well, and have acquired leading endowments. Athletics have also boosted integration, and have strengthened bonds between schools and their alumni.

But, now the chickens are coming home to roost, and the athletes want a bigger piece of the pie. Will fans and alums tire of the player mobility, and the obvious lack of sports being an "amateur" endeavor, and cease their support? Will everyone just accept the new system, and pour money into NIL funds? Will Congress get involved and impose some special solution? Will universities spin off their sports teams as minor league professional teams? I have only questions, and no answers.


I think you're already seeing the answer to your first two questions - yes and no. I qualify that by defining people as the rank and file fan, not businesses, corporations, and the well-heeled. They will always spend money if the they see some personal benefit in it.



TV ratings for the football playoff were up 45% year over year. There's not much to suggest yet that fan interest is being impacted by player movement.

Here, all of the people insisting that's the case are still posting here at the same rate, and still supporting Ohio sports.


I also recall a few years ago on this board, where many, nee most, posters were citing that CTE was going to crush interest in football at all levels, and OHIO would finally be able to funnel most if not all resources away from football to the benefit of MBB. Those takes didn't age well.

Last Edited: 2/11/2024 6:34:02 PM by D.A.


The Few, The Proud, The Bobcats!

And for the record, I hate tOSU, and Ricordati and Torgerson are DB's.

"This isn't just another walkover from the MAC." Kirk Herbstreit, another DB, on College Football Gameday

Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 9,157

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 3rd String RB wants $100k NIL - You can't make this stuff up
   Posted: 2/11/2024 9:38:02 PM 
NIL came about because schools and even some advertisers were using players' name, image and/or likeness for promotional purposes without compensating the players. NIL was meant to make things fair for players. Initially, NIL money was supposed to have some tie to players being involved in promotions (TV spots, billboards, etc.). It has become direct payments of some kind to players, whether or not it's tied to a promotion (CJ Stroud got to drive a Rolls Royce around Columbus and the only "promotional" activity was the dealer's nameplate on the car, which would've been on there anyway). So it's evolved into wanting six figures for sitting the bench.

"Now that ain't working, that's the way you do it
Money for nothing and your chicks for free."


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
Casper71
General User

Member Since: 12/1/2006
Post Count: 2,895

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 3rd String RB wants $100k NIL - You can't make this stuff up
   Posted: 2/11/2024 11:19:33 PM 
I guess I am showing my age which is 75. However, I miss the good old days when we had actual “amateur” athletes. Players used to be happy getting a free education room and board which nowadays would be 20,000 a year or $100,000 or so over their career. Leave it to the courts, the NCAA, and the big money to ruin the whole concept of amateurism.
Back to Top
  
Campus Flow
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Post Count: 4,959

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 3rd String RB wants $100k NIL - You can't make this stuff up
   Posted: 2/12/2024 12:25:22 AM 
L.C. wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
So if they were to become employees, theoretically they could be fired or traded for non-performance or other contractural provisions. Remind me, what does that have to do with getting an education?

Once upon a time, sports were tied to education based on the premise that, in order to have a sound mind, you should also have a sound body. You see that belief as early as grade school, where there is always a PE class mixed in with the academics. Sports have long been ingrained into university education with intramural sports, and club sports, and then varsity sports. You can't really argue that varsity sports haven't benefited universities, as the leading sports schools have become leading academic institutions as well, and have acquired leading endowments. Athletics have also boosted integration, and have strengthened bonds between schools and their alumni.

But, now the chickens are coming home to roost, and the athletes want a bigger piece of the pie. Will fans and alums tire of the player mobility, and the obvious lack of sports being an "amateur" endeavor, and cease their support? Will everyone just accept the new system, and pour money into NIL funds? Will Congress get involved and impose some special solution? Will universities spin off their sports teams as minor league professional teams? I have only questions, and no answers, but in the end, I think the deciding question is how much the fans will stand for. At one extreme, if they fill the NIL funds with money, current trends will continue. At the other extreme, if they stop buying tickets and stop attending game, there will be a fast reversal. I expect that the end will be somewhere in the middle between those two.


The question is what should Ohio be doing and I say with winning football and basketball coach along with a fluid future in NCAA D1 governance that it should hold serve for right now until the new rules are refined. Then in the future bring in staffs that are stronger in the new recruiting environment.

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2024/1/11/media-center-division...

So I guess I'm not seeing the point of panic mode on NIL. Deals are national and regional. Potential for deals are predicated depending on the level of conference they play in. 5 star skill players can walk onto campus with million dollar NIL deals but for everyone else that potential has to be developed. What is to say of using the recruiting approach of bringining in a freshman with the pitch we'll help you get a bigger NIL deal at the next level because you'll rush for 800 yards or score 800 points here? Bangura has a deal with Minnesota so that is a direct evidence its possible.


Most Memorable Bobcat Events Attended
2010 97-83 win over Georgetown in NCAA 1st round
2012 45-13 victory over ULM in the Independence Bowl
2015 34-3 drubbing of Miami @ Peden front of 25,086

Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 3,524

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 3rd String RB wants $100k NIL - You can't make this stuff up
   Posted: 2/12/2024 7:16:39 AM 
Interesting article by Gene Frenette on the NIL/Transfer Portal's impact on
college sports.

The article is on MuckRack

Seems the attitude among coaches, administrators, etc. is "everyone for
themselves" and just like Gordon Gekko "Greed is good".

Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 7,027

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 3rd String RB wants $100k NIL - You can't make this stuff up
   Posted: 2/12/2024 8:51:46 AM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
L.C. wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
So if they were to become employees, theoretically they could be fired or traded for non-performance or other contractural provisions. Remind me, what does that have to do with getting an education?

Once upon a time, sports were tied to education based on the premise that, in order to have a sound mind, you should also have a sound body. You see that belief as early as grade school, where there is always a PE class mixed in with the academics. Sports have long been ingrained into university education with intramural sports, and club sports, and then varsity sports. You can't really argue that varsity sports haven't benefited universities, as the leading sports schools have become leading academic institutions as well, and have acquired leading endowments. Athletics have also boosted integration, and have strengthened bonds between schools and their alumni.

But, now the chickens are coming home to roost, and the athletes want a bigger piece of the pie. Will fans and alums tire of the player mobility, and the obvious lack of sports being an "amateur" endeavor, and cease their support? Will everyone just accept the new system, and pour money into NIL funds? Will Congress get involved and impose some special solution? Will universities spin off their sports teams as minor league professional teams? I have only questions, and no answers.


I think you're already seeing the answer to your first two questions - yes and no. I qualify that by defining people as the rank and file fan, not businesses, corporations, and the well-heeled. They will always spend money if the they see some personal benefit in it.



TV ratings for the football playoff were up 45% year over year. There's not much to suggest yet that fan interest is being impacted by player movement.

Here, all of the people insisting that's the case are still posting here at the same rate, and still supporting Ohio sports.


TV ratings and posts from the same cast of characters aren't the same as open check books. It would be real interesting to see how. many "passionate fans" on this board have actually written a five figure check for NIL.

Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 7,027

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 3rd String RB wants $100k NIL - You can't make this stuff up
   Posted: 2/12/2024 8:52:27 AM 
D.A. wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
L.C. wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
So if they were to become employees, theoretically they could be fired or traded for non-performance or other contractural provisions. Remind me, what does that have to do with getting an education?

Once upon a time, sports were tied to education based on the premise that, in order to have a sound mind, you should also have a sound body. You see that belief as early as grade school, where there is always a PE class mixed in with the academics. Sports have long been ingrained into university education with intramural sports, and club sports, and then varsity sports. You can't really argue that varsity sports haven't benefited universities, as the leading sports schools have become leading academic institutions as well, and have acquired leading endowments. Athletics have also boosted integration, and have strengthened bonds between schools and their alumni.

But, now the chickens are coming home to roost, and the athletes want a bigger piece of the pie. Will fans and alums tire of the player mobility, and the obvious lack of sports being an "amateur" endeavor, and cease their support? Will everyone just accept the new system, and pour money into NIL funds? Will Congress get involved and impose some special solution? Will universities spin off their sports teams as minor league professional teams? I have only questions, and no answers.


I think you're already seeing the answer to your first two questions - yes and no. I qualify that by defining people as the rank and file fan, not businesses, corporations, and the well-heeled. They will always spend money if the they see some personal benefit in it.



TV ratings for the football playoff were up 45% year over year. There's not much to suggest yet that fan interest is being impacted by player movement.

Here, all of the people insisting that's the case are still posting here at the same rate, and still supporting Ohio sports.


I also recall a few years ago on this board, where many, nee most, posters were citing that CTE was going to crush interest in football at all levels, and OHIO would finally be able to funnel most if not all resources away from football to the benefit of MBB. Those takes didn't age well.


Participation at the scholastic level is certainly down. https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2023-01-...

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 3,304

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 3rd String RB wants $100k NIL - You can't make this stuff up
   Posted: 2/12/2024 3:14:35 PM 
Alan Swank wrote:

TV ratings and posts from the same cast of characters aren't the same as open check books. It would be real interesting to see how. many "passionate fans" on this board have actually written a five figure check for NIL.


You're moving the goalposts pretty substantially there, man.

Your initial position was that the answer to this question is obviously yes: "Will fans and alums tire of the player mobility, and the obvious lack of sports being an "amateur" endeavor, and cease their support?"

Now you're saying that the definition of support is writing 5 figure checks. The vast majority of college sports fans have never and will never give a dime. Why is that suddenly the bar?

Last Edited: 2/12/2024 3:17:49 PM by Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame

Back to Top
  
bobcatsquared
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 5,060

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 3rd String RB wants $100k NIL - You can't make this stuff up
   Posted: 2/12/2024 3:44:25 PM 
Except for the CFB playoffs, which only includes the top 4 teams playing 2 games (increasing to top 12 teams and 11 games), attendance is down across the board at college football games. This is true during the regular season and then magnified during bowl season. Same can be said for college basketball at the majority of the 350-some DI teams. And not just the mid and low majors.

A discussion on 97.1 The Fan in Columbus last week involved big college sports fans admitting to watching 0 college basketball games this winter when they used to watch multiple games per week. The reason they gave was how difficult, if not impossible, it is to create a connection with teams where the roster is overhauled every season. I know this is the case for me, a fan of MAC basketball for over 40 years. Additionally, I used to be able to give you the names of multiple players for powers like Kentucky, or Duke, or Kansas, or Indiana, or . . . I would have difficulty coming up with more than one name for these teams today.

Last Edited: 2/12/2024 3:45:35 PM by bobcatsquared

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 3,304

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 3rd String RB wants $100k NIL - You can't make this stuff up
   Posted: 2/12/2024 4:48:49 PM 
bobcatsquared wrote:
Except for the CFB playoffs, which only includes the top 4 teams playing 2 games (increasing to top 12 teams and 11 games), attendance is down across the board at college football games. This is true during the regular season and then magnified during bowl season. Same can be said for college basketball at the majority of the 350-some DI teams. And not just the mid and low majors.


This trend began well before the NIL or new transfer rules though.

bobcatsquared wrote:

A discussion on 97.1 The Fan in Columbus last week involved big college sports fans admitting to watching 0 college basketball games this winter when they used to watch multiple games per week. The reason they gave was how difficult, if not impossible, it is to create a connection with teams where the roster is overhauled every season. I know this is the case for me, a fan of MAC basketball for over 40 years. Additionally, I used to be able to give you the names of multiple players for powers like Kentucky, or Duke, or Kansas, or Indiana, or . . . I would have difficulty coming up with more than one name for these teams today.


I think this is true, but it's been true for a long time and isn't just a transfer portal thing. The blue bloods have had one and dones at the top of their roster for a decade plus now.

But, I think if you look at who actually goes to the Final Four and wins championships you'd see that it's not a winning strategy, for the most part.
Back to Top
  
giacomo
General User

Member Since: 11/20/2007
Post Count: 2,635

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 3rd String RB wants $100k NIL - You can't make this stuff up
   Posted: 2/12/2024 5:33:03 PM 
Casper71 wrote:
I guess I am showing my age which is 75. However, I miss the good old days when we had actual “amateur” athletes. Players used to be happy getting a free education room and board which nowadays would be 20,000 a year or $100,000 or so over their career. Leave it to the courts, the NCAA, and the big money to ruin the whole concept of amateurism.


That was back in the day when coaches were paid like faculty and never made more than the president. Today coaches make millions and some make almost 10 million. The players see the money and want their share. It is no longer an amateur operation. It will be ever changing and will not be like it was before, except maybe D2 and D3 and some D1 who will opt out when the P5 break away.

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 9,535

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 3rd String RB wants $100k NIL - You can't make this stuff up
   Posted: 2/12/2024 8:59:23 PM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:

I feel for these young people who are being given poor advise from people who don't get it. The landscape has forever changed. And I do not see how making them employees will improve anything. Employees always want rasises, and these demands will still be out there. And you are correct, "Clown Activities"!


Employment markets are much more transparent than the NIL is. Why is this kid asking for 100k? Because nobody has any idea what NIL deals pay. But labor markets are much less opaque. Employees always want raises, yes. But they also are able to easily assess their market value.



And every 18-22 year old is a seasoned veteran at market economics and supply and demand. Nothing but progress for the athlete, especially long term. Because once they are an employee, why we have to pay a scholarship?
Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 3,304

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 3rd String RB wants $100k NIL - You can't make this stuff up
   Posted: 2/12/2024 9:20:25 PM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:

I feel for these young people who are being given poor advise from people who don't get it. The landscape has forever changed. And I do not see how making them employees will improve anything. Employees always want rasises, and these demands will still be out there. And you are correct, "Clown Activities"!


Employment markets are much more transparent than the NIL is. Why is this kid asking for 100k? Because nobody has any idea what NIL deals pay. But labor markets are much less opaque. Employees always want raises, yes. But they also are able to easily assess their market value.



And every 18-22 year old is a seasoned veteran at market economics and supply and demand. Nothing but progress for the athlete, especially long term. Because once they are an employee, why we have to pay a scholarship?


18-22 year olds participate in the labor market, dude. What is it, specifically, about 18-22 year olds who are good at sports that makes them incapable of it?

If you want to convince yourself that people making money is bad for them, knock yourself out. But it's completely illogical.

Why not just call a spade a spade? You like college sports how they are, and worry paying athletes will change a thing you like. That makes sense, and it's honest. But trying to pretend this is somehow about the best interests of the kids, and these poor, poor athletes can't understand how jobs work is patronizing nonsense.

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 9,535

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 3rd String RB wants $100k NIL - You can't make this stuff up
   Posted: 2/13/2024 4:07:16 PM 
Alan Swank wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
M.D.W.S.T wrote:
“While he didn’t name the player, 247 Sports does mention that backup running backs Antwain Littleton and Ramon Brown entered the transfer portal this offseason.

Littleton is now set to play for Temple, while Brown hasn’t landed with a new program.“

“Give me $100,000 or I walk! “

Walk then. Where do you think we’re getting $100K?

*Now without a team.*

Clown activities.


You think the other got that kind of cash at Temple :-)

I feel for these young people who are being given poor advise from people who don't get it. The landscape has forever changed. And I do not see how making them employees will improve anything. Employees always want rasises, and these demands will still be out there. And you are correct, "Clown Activities"!


So if they were to become employees, theoretically they could be fired or traded for non-performance or other contractural provisions. Remind me, what does that have to do with getting an education?



Not at a State school, they would be organized and have protections like every other worker that is in a union.
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 25  of 52 Posts
Jump to Page:  1 | 2 | 3    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Football' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             







Copyright ©2024 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties