Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Football
Topic:  OT: Big 12 Selling Naming Rights to Big 12

Topic:  OT: Big 12 Selling Naming Rights to Big 12
Author
Message
M.D.W.S.T
General User



Member Since: 12/23/2021
Post Count: 1,906

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  OT: Big 12 Selling Naming Rights to Big 12
   Posted: 6/13/2024 3:13:17 PM 
In news you used to see on April 1st, the Big 12 is auctioning off naming rights to the "Big 12". The corporate sponsor name would replace "Big".

L-O-L

Welcome to the Buccees-12.


https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-big-12-exploring-naming-... .

Last Edited: 6/13/2024 3:13:38 PM by M.D.W.S.T

Back to Top
  
SBH
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,801

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OT: Big 12 Selling Naming Rights to Big 12
   Posted: 6/14/2024 10:57:05 AM 
I'm certain the MAC would love to be able to do something similar. Or perhaps all G5 conferences together...

Back to Top
  
JimLurker34
General User

Member Since: 12/7/2023
Location: McArthur, OH
Post Count: 190

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OT: Big 12 Selling Naming Rights to Big 12
   Posted: 6/14/2024 11:07:08 AM 
M.D.W.S.T wrote:
In news you used to see on April 1st, the Big 12 is auctioning off naming rights to the "Big 12". The corporate sponsor name would replace "Big".

L-O-L

Welcome to the Buccees-12.


https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-big-12-exploring-naming-... .


How about the Weedeater 12, the Alphabet 12, or the Sysco 12? Somehow I think whatever corporation would pay for this naming right that it would result in a lot of ridicule both for the corporation and for the league itself.
Back to Top
  
M.D.W.S.T
General User



Member Since: 12/23/2021
Post Count: 1,906

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OT: Big 12 Selling Naming Rights to Big 12
   Posted: 6/14/2024 12:06:35 PM 
JimLurker34 wrote:
M.D.W.S.T wrote:
In news you used to see on April 1st, the Big 12 is auctioning off naming rights to the "Big 12". The corporate sponsor name would replace "Big".

L-O-L

Welcome to the Buccees-12.


https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-big-12-exploring-naming-... .


How about the Weedeater 12, the Alphabet 12, or the Sysco 12? Somehow I think whatever corporation would pay for this naming right that it would result in a lot of ridicule both for the corporation and for the league itself.


It's just crazy how far this has gotten. Logos on jerseys. The name of the conference themselves. EVERYTHING is for sale.

I remember a thread not long ago where someone didn't want to ADD TEAMS, because it ruined the sanctity of the storied history of the MAC Championship.
Back to Top
  
colobobcat66
General User

Member Since: 9/1/2006
Location: Watching the bobcats run outside my window., CO
Post Count: 4,206

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OT: Big 12 Selling Naming Rights to Big 12
   Posted: 6/14/2024 12:46:36 PM 
M.D.W.S.T wrote:
JimLurker34 wrote:
M.D.W.S.T wrote:
In news you used to see on April 1st, the Big 12 is auctioning off naming rights to the "Big 12". The corporate sponsor name would replace "Big".

L-O-L

Welcome to the Buccees-12.


https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-big-12-exploring-naming-... .


How about the Weedeater 12, the Alphabet 12, or the Sysco 12? Somehow I think whatever corporation would pay for this naming right that it would result in a lot of ridicule both for the corporation and for the league itself.


It's just crazy how far this has gotten. Logos on jerseys. The name of the conference themselves. EVERYTHING is for sale.

I remember a thread not long ago where someone didn't want to ADD TEAMS, because it ruined the sanctity of the storied history of the MAC Championship.

How about the Dunkin Donuts MAC Bakers Dozen after UMASS joins us.
Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 3,369

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OT: Big 12 Selling Naming Rights to Big 12
   Posted: 6/14/2024 1:11:51 PM 
It is pretty ridiculous, but I feel like these sorts of things always seem like they're a bigger deal than they end up being.

There was a lot of uproar about corporate sponsors on NBA jerseys, and then it turned out to be a big yawn. In Europe, nobody questions the history and tradition of the Premier League because it's the Barclays Premier League.

In practice, it's basically just a word a broadcaster says in the intro to a broadcast, and another logo that shows up some places. But it basically never actually penetrates the vernacular of fans, and just ends up being another logo amongst 1000 logos on every broadcast, or at every stadium.
Back to Top
  
M.D.W.S.T
General User



Member Since: 12/23/2021
Post Count: 1,906

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OT: Big 12 Selling Naming Rights to Big 12
   Posted: 6/14/2024 1:53:19 PM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
It is pretty ridiculous, but I feel like these sorts of things always seem like they're a bigger deal than they end up being.

There was a lot of uproar about corporate sponsors on NBA jerseys, and then it turned out to be a big yawn. In Europe, nobody questions the history and tradition of the Premier League because it's the Barclays Premier League.

In practice, it's basically just a word a broadcaster says in the intro to a broadcast, and another logo that shows up some places. But it basically never actually penetrates the vernacular of fans, and just ends up being another logo amongst 1000 logos on every broadcast, or at every stadium.


I agree, I tend to believe it'll be small - but we're talking about professional sports here vs colleges.

Just something else to further drive apart the haves (THE KROGER STATE ANTHONY THOMAS BUCKEYES) and the have nots (Ohio University Siemen Cats).
Back to Top
  
OUcats82
General User



Member Since: 1/9/2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Post Count: 1,834

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OT: Big 12 Selling Naming Rights to Big 12
   Posted: 6/14/2024 2:42:51 PM 
College sports are becoming less and less of what they used to be and more and more like the professional sports as far as monetizing goes.

Last Edited: 6/14/2024 2:43:09 PM by OUcats82


Ohio-The State University

Back to Top
  
Zaleski
General User

Member Since: 8/23/2010
Location: League City, TX
Post Count: 225

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OT: Big 12 Selling Naming Rights to Big 12
   Posted: 6/14/2024 3:57:49 PM 
I'm old enough to remember when people scoffed at the idea of corporate sponsorship of bowl games. Look where we are today. Everything and anything can and will be monetized. I wonder how long it will be before churches start sporting corporate logos?
Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Post Count: 6,971

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OT: Big 12 Selling Naming Rights to Big 12
   Posted: 6/17/2024 10:46:12 AM 
Been preaching it forever, get McDonalds on the phone and rename the conference the BIG MAC.
Back to Top
  
M.D.W.S.T
General User



Member Since: 12/23/2021
Post Count: 1,906

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OT: Big 12 Selling Naming Rights to Big 12
   Posted: 6/18/2024 10:13:32 AM 
GoCats105 wrote:
Been preaching it forever, get McDonalds on the phone and rename the conference the BIG MAC.


A+
Back to Top
  
Ohio69
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,003

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OT: Big 12 Selling Naming Rights to Big 12
   Posted: 6/18/2024 4:33:23 PM 
M.D.W.S.T wrote:

I agree, I tend to believe it'll be small - but we're talking about professional sports here vs colleges.


Both are “professional sports” now.






Can somebody hit a pull up jumper for me?.....

Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 10,118

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OT: Big 12 Selling Naming Rights to Big 12
   Posted: 6/18/2024 4:37:13 PM 
GoCats105 wrote:
Been preaching it forever, get McDonalds on the phone and rename the conference the BIG MAC.

Don't stop there. Get a bidding war going between them and MAC tools.


“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.” ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 9,161

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OT: Big 12 Selling Naming Rights to Big 12
   Posted: 6/18/2024 5:41:21 PM 
L.C. wrote:
GoCats105 wrote:
Been preaching it forever, get McDonalds on the phone and rename the conference the BIG MAC.

Don't stop there. Get a bidding war going between them and MAC tools.


And Mack Trucks.

As for B12, my money is on Phillips 66 12. They sponsor a lot of stuff with the conference.


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
Jeff McKinney
Moderator

Member Since: 11/12/2004
Post Count: 6,084

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OT: Big 12 Selling Naming Rights to Big 12
   Posted: 6/19/2024 12:07:36 PM 
Zaleski wrote:
I'm old enough to remember when people scoffed at the idea of corporate sponsorship of bowl games. Look where we are today. Everything and anything can and will be monetized. I wonder how long it will be before churches start sporting corporate logos?


Thank goodness the Poulan Weedeater Independence Bowl changed all that.

Back to Top
  
giacomo
General User

Member Since: 11/20/2007
Post Count: 2,683

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OT: Big 12 Selling Naming Rights to Big 12
   Posted: 6/25/2024 9:35:13 PM 
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. This all started with coaches making 10 times more than the president. There is no going back.
Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 10,118

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OT: Big 12 Selling Naming Rights to Big 12
   Posted: 6/25/2024 11:10:14 PM 
giacomo wrote:
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. This all started with coaches making 10 times more than the president. There is no going back.

And I have disagreed before, and I'll disagree again. It started when winning became the only important thing. Coaches making large amounts of money was just a symptom of the problem, just as money slipped illegally to players was a symptom of the same problem. The rules have changed, and now the players get paid, but the coaches will almost certainly continue to make big salaries. Consider the NFL. The players make big salaries, but that doesn't mean the coaches don't; they are very well paid, too.


“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.” ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
giacomo
General User

Member Since: 11/20/2007
Post Count: 2,683

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OT: Big 12 Selling Naming Rights to Big 12
   Posted: 6/26/2024 9:54:42 PM 
You’re forgetting or never knew that higher education is non profit. People at non profits don’t make 5-10 million a year. If coaches were paid in line with deans and below the president, as it used to be, this would not be happening. The players see the lavish salaries and want their cut.
Back to Top
  
colobobcat66
General User

Member Since: 9/1/2006
Location: Watching the bobcats run outside my window., CO
Post Count: 4,206

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OT: Big 12 Selling Naming Rights to Big 12
   Posted: 6/27/2024 8:31:23 AM 
giacomo wrote:
You’re forgetting or never knew that higher education is non profit. People at non profits don’t make 5-10 million a year. If coaches were paid in line with deans and below the president, as it used to be, this would not be happening. The players see the lavish salaries and want their cut.


Football nowadays has almost nothing to do with higher education-it’s meant to be a money maker for some schools(the haves). We shall see with the coming split wether the have nots go back to more of an amateur model .
Back to Top
  
M.D.W.S.T
General User



Member Since: 12/23/2021
Post Count: 1,906

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OT: Big 12 Selling Naming Rights to Big 12
   Posted: 6/27/2024 9:01:43 AM 
colobobcat66 wrote:
giacomo wrote:
You’re forgetting or never knew that higher education is non profit. People at non profits don’t make 5-10 million a year. If coaches were paid in line with deans and below the president, as it used to be, this would not be happening. The players see the lavish salaries and want their cut.


Football nowadays has almost nothing to do with higher education-it’s meant to be a money maker for some schools(the haves). We shall see with the coming split wether the have nots go back to more of an amateur model .


I think it was CBS or Fox or someone like that posted a graphic that had Ohio State, Texas, Alabama and others revenue at like $270M. And every comment under is like GIVE THEM THEIR MONEY! SEE! GIVE THEM A CUT!

And then I looked it up because I like to be a contrarian, Ohio State's athletic department had $275M in expenses last year. I didn't dig that far in, but just comparing the two high-level numbers betwen the two graphics... They're not even turning a profit. The mighty Ohio State Buckeyes are running in the red. Ticket revenue for football was like $65M. Which is insane. However, it costs $60M to run the 30+ programs outside of football and basketball. Of course when you bring up that point, people are like well get rid of all the other sports then. Why don't we just add Ohio State to the NFL and make this easier? Why even have those extra 2,000 kids on campus?

We say this every week at this point, but I just hate what this is becoming. We already have professional football. We're so close to a 20-team "NCAA" Super League it's ludicrous. I didn't play golf in college, but should the NCAA do away with golf just to better pay for football lunches? Get rid of womens soccer because football needs the additional revenue for cold tubs.
Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 10,118

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OT: Big 12 Selling Naming Rights to Big 12
   Posted: 6/27/2024 10:48:21 AM 
giacomo wrote:
You’re forgetting or never knew that higher education is non profit. People at non profits don’t make 5-10 million a year. If coaches were paid in line with deans and below the president, as it used to be, this would not be happening. The players see the lavish salaries and want their cut.

Nonsense. Of course I know that higher education is officially "non-profit". I also know that once upon a time, sports were for fun, and based on the premise that a healthy body and a healthy mind go together. At first, coaches were volunteers, or minimally paid, and players were not recruited, they were just students. Not surprisingly, over time, though, sports became about winning, and as the community became fans, it especially became about winning. Once it became about winning, the money began to flow, and we inevitably ended up here.

You are forgetting, or never knew, that coaching salaries are set by the free market, just as player salaries will be. It's not a case where AD's just said, "Hmm, I think I'll pay the coach more than the President. That sounds like a good idea." Rather, each AD is under pressure, win, or be fired. Therefore, they pay what they have to pay in order to get a coach who can win. With each AD in the country in the same situation, coaching salaries went higher and higher, and similarly, pay to players will go higher and higher, especially for the best players, the ones who are perceived to be difference makers who can make the team win.

Meanwhile, another area of university life is becoming less "non-profit" than it used to be as well, and that's research. Universities compete for getting research grants. Who can help them "win" at getting research grants? Watch the salaries go up there, too. When it becomes all about winning, and not about education, the inevitable result is that money flows to the places that are most effective at making that "winning" happen.


“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.” ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
Victory
General User

Member Since: 3/10/2012
Post Count: 1,962

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OT: Big 12 Selling Naming Rights to Big 12
   Posted: 6/27/2024 11:42:46 AM 
Most college programs are running in the red. But part of that is creative accounting. Baseball for two decades had an antimarketing campaign telling us how bad their own product was with the players making so much to try to turn public sentiment against the labor union that held the hardest to replace work force in the world. Part of that was looking like they were losing money. But teams did stuff like scalping their own tickets. Selling cheap tickets below face value to a wholly owned subsidiary to sell to the public. I'm not sure if anything that bad happens with power college programs but I wouldn't be surprised. But, yes, most sports programs are in the red if you don't count the money that the school is saving in marketing and campus life. The marketing that exposure provides makes it worth the expense.

FWIW, In the end baseball's antimarketing campaign was partially successful at turning the fans more against the union but also successful in turning fans against the game itself.

It has been more and more obviously that the higher you go up the ladder, from non-scholarship, to JUCO, to non-major, to D1, to G5, to P5 that sports have less to do with higher education. But if you are running a business instead of a non-profit school you have to follow antitrust and labor laws. This has been the issue. If they had faced reality and allowed the players to unionize and collectively bargain it probably would have resulted in a structure that is better for the game that having the chaos of the courts striking everything in the prior system down.
Back to Top
  
giacomo
General User

Member Since: 11/20/2007
Post Count: 2,683

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OT: Big 12 Selling Naming Rights to Big 12
   Posted: 6/29/2024 2:19:46 PM 
L.C. wrote:
giacomo wrote:
You’re forgetting or never knew that higher education is non profit. People at non profits don’t make 5-10 million a year. If coaches were paid in line with deans and below the president, as it used to be, this would not be happening. The players see the lavish salaries and want their cut.

Nonsense. Of course I know that higher education is officially "non-profit". I also know that once upon a time, sports were for fun, and based on the premise that a healthy body and a healthy mind go together. At first, coaches were volunteers, or minimally paid, and players were not recruited, they were just students. Not surprisingly, over time, though, sports became about winning, and as the community became fans, it especially became about winning. Once it became about winning, the money began to flow, and we inevitably ended up here.

You are forgetting, or never knew, that coaching salaries are set by the free market, just as player salaries will be. It's not a case where AD's just said, "Hmm, I think I'll pay the coach more than the President. That sounds like a good idea." Rather, each AD is under pressure, win, or be fired. Therefore, they pay what they have to pay in order to get a coach who can win. With each AD in the country in the same situation, coaching salaries went higher and higher, and similarly, pay to players will go higher and higher, especially for the best players, the ones who are perceived to be difference makers who can make the team win.

Meanwhile, another area of university life is becoming less "non-profit" than it used to be as well, and that's research. Universities compete for getting research grants. Who can help them "win" at getting research grants? Watch the salaries go up there, too. When it becomes all about winning, and not about education, the inevitable result is that money flows to the places that are most effective at making that "winning" happen.


The colleges used to have a structure, just like companies do. When you veer off the path there is trouble. Picture a company with a CEO, president, CFO and various vice presidents. There is structure and then one of the vice presidents is making more than 14 times the president and CEO and maybe 20 times the other vice presidents, what would you expect to happen? Alabama president is making 774k and new football coach makes 10.875M.
Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 10,118

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OT: Big 12 Selling Naming Rights to Big 12
   Posted: 6/29/2024 6:54:55 PM 
giacomo wrote:
The colleges used to have a structure, just like companies do. When you veer off the path there is trouble. Picture a company with a CEO, president, CFO and various vice presidents. There is structure and then one of the vice presidents is making more than 14 times the president and CEO and maybe 20 times the other vice presidents, what would you expect to happen? Alabama president is making 774k and new football coach makes 10.875M.

Funny you should put it that way. It used to be common for companies to pay their VP of Sales more than the President, and not uncommon for highly effective commissioned sales people to make more than their bosses. IDK how often those happen anymore, but they are certainly examples of the free market at work. What he have is sports is also the free market at work, this time in an environment where winning is more important than academics. Who would you expect to be paid more in that environment? Will you be surprised when there are players who make more than the University Presidents?


“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.” ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
giacomo
General User

Member Since: 11/20/2007
Post Count: 2,683

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: OT: Big 12 Selling Naming Rights to Big 12
   Posted: 6/30/2024 12:28:30 PM 
L.C. wrote:
giacomo wrote:
The colleges used to have a structure, just like companies do. When you veer off the path there is trouble. Picture a company with a CEO, president, CFO and various vice presidents. There is structure and then one of the vice presidents is making more than 14 times the president and CEO and maybe 20 times the other vice presidents, what would you expect to happen? Alabama president is making 774k and new football coach makes 10.875M.

Funny you should put it that way. It used to be common for companies to pay their VP of Sales more than the President, and not uncommon for highly effective commissioned sales people to make more than their bosses. IDK how often those happen anymore, but they are certainly examples of the free market at work. What he have is sports is also the free market at work, this time in an environment where winning is more important than academics. Who would you expect to be paid more in that environment? Will you be surprised when there are players who make more than the University Presidents?


Sales people have incentives and lower base salaries than presidents and CEOs. There is typically a cap on earnings. A sales exec would not make 14 times the CEO salary. It is happening at schools and that is why we are where we are. The players see all the money and feel entitled to getting compensated.
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 25  of 32 Posts
Jump to Page:  1 | 2    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Football' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             







Copyright ©2024 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties