Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Football
Topic:  RE: 2021 Coaching Carousel

Topic:  RE: 2021 Coaching Carousel
Author
Message
mf279801
General User

Member Since: 8/6/2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Post Count: 2,342

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2021 Coaching Carousel
   Posted: 11/29/2021 8:11:05 AM 
With Riley going to USC, i know where Oklahoma can find someone with long time offensive coordinator experience, head coaching experience, experience taking over from a coaching legend; a guy who is very familiar with Oklahoma. I think they need to strongly consider this guy, because they could have him for a (comparative) song. If they asked nice, I’ll bet AD Cromer would even waive his buyout 😉
Back to Top
  
Valley Cat
General User



Member Since: 12/28/2004
Location: Jackson Twp., OH
Post Count: 960

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2021 Coaching Carousel
   Posted: 11/29/2021 11:39:13 AM 
Akron going after Joe Moorhead? Folks that is a Monster Hire if that happens. How can they afford that?
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 12,261

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2021 Coaching Carousel
   Posted: 11/29/2021 11:43:48 AM 
mf279801 wrote:
With Riley going to USC, i know where Oklahoma can find someone with long time offensive coordinator experience, head coaching experience, experience taking over from a coaching legend; a guy who is very familiar with Oklahoma. I think they need to strongly consider this guy, because they could have him for a (comparative) song. If they asked nice, I’ll bet AD Cromer would even waive his buyout 😉


Yes, and didn't he win a National Championship in Oklahoma? Looks to me like the stars have aligned. It's this kind of brilliant analysis that keeps me coming back to BA! ;-)


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 866

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2021 Coaching Carousel
   Posted: 11/29/2021 11:57:10 AM 
Babers is back for another try at 'Cuse.

We need to be on the phone with Dan Mullen STAT.
Back to Top
  
cc-cat
General User

Member Since: 4/5/2006
Location: matthews, NC
Post Count: 3,572

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2021 Coaching Carousel
   Posted: 11/29/2021 1:51:52 PM 
Julie: "Dan, I'd like you to coach the Bobcats next season"

Dan: "I'm sorry, Julie who? Bobcats where?"

Julie: "I'd like you to coach Ohio University. I can pay you $2.0 million - you'd be the highest paid coach in the MAC - I can't pay any more as I'll still need to buyout Tim at $1.5 million - which of course also makes him the highest paid coach in the MAC."

Dan: "I was making $7.5 million - yes, I have a $12 million buyout, but why would I come to Athens."

Julie: You'd be the head coach of the Bobcats"

Dan: "Hold on, Lincoln's on the other line."

Dan: "you were saying... oh, by the way, we need to talk $3.0 million."

Julie: "That would mean you'd be paid about the same as the next three highest coaches combined"

Dan: "Hold on, Whit Babcock is on line 3"

Dan: "So Athens at $4.0 million is what you were staying."

Julie: "I can't do that, but I know some alumni that have some pull - perhaps we could name the golf course after you."

Dan: "This conversation is over"
Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Post Count: 6,248

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2021 Coaching Carousel
   Posted: 11/29/2021 2:35:23 PM 
Fresno HC Kalen DeBoer taking the Washington job.

Miami OC Rhett Lashlee replacing Dykes at SMU.

SILLY SEASON IS UPON US!
Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Post Count: 6,248

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2021 Coaching Carousel
   Posted: 11/29/2021 3:14:13 PM 
Bobcat Love wrote:
Babers is back for another try at 'Cuse.

We need to be on the phone with Dan Mullen STAT.


I dont think we can afford him, but Jacksonville State just hired Rich Rodriguez and that would have been a helluva lot of fun.
Back to Top
  
cc-cat
General User

Member Since: 4/5/2006
Location: matthews, NC
Post Count: 3,572

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2021 Coaching Carousel
   Posted: 11/29/2021 3:33:24 PM 
Since I'm cutting other people's suggestions (at least they put something out there with some passion) - I'll do the same:

no particular order, but in three catagroies:

Established / Experienced:
Todd Monkin - Offensive Coordinator Georgia. About to turn 56. Ga. speaks for itself. Also was head coach at Southern Miss. Off Coordinator for Browns and Bucs in NFL. Knows MAC from time at EMU.

Warren Ruggiero - Offensive Coordinator Wake Forest (led ACC in scoring this year). 53 years old. Knows MAC from time at BG – where he was also Offensive Coordinator – running strong offense and winning MACC.

Coming into their Own:
Jeff Lebby – 36 years old - Ole Miss – Offensive Coordinator / QB coach. Came from UCF where he coached McKenzie Milton. Prior to that Baylor. No MAC experience.

Alex Golesh – 38 years old - Offensive Coordinator Tennessee. Midwest experience with Illinois and Iowa State. MAC experience with Toledo and Northern. From Dublin, OH. Played at Ohio State.

On the Rise:
Brennan Marion – 34 years old – Wide Receiver Coach at Pitt. Prior to that at Hawaii and also Offensive Coordinator at William and Mary. Folks here will remember him as Offensive Coordinator at Howard the year they almost beat us.

for me - Ruggiero, Golesh, and Marion, would all make sense depending on the category you'd want to choose from.
Back to Top
  
ou79
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 616

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2021 Coaching Carousel
   Posted: 11/29/2021 3:34:49 PM 
Rich Rod had been the Assistant HC and Offensive Coordinator for Terry Bowden at ULM.
Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Post Count: 6,248

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2021 Coaching Carousel
   Posted: 11/29/2021 4:59:05 PM 
Rod Carey out at Temple.
Back to Top
  
mf279801
General User

Member Since: 8/6/2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Post Count: 2,342

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2021 Coaching Carousel
   Posted: 11/29/2021 8:17:00 PM 
Twitter rumors: Brent Venabels to Oklahoma
Twitter reports (allegedly confirmed): Brian Kelly to LSU
Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Post Count: 6,248

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2021 Coaching Carousel
   Posted: 11/29/2021 9:16:02 PM 
To quote Gwen Stefani: this sh*t is bananas.
Back to Top
  
cbus cat fan
General User

Member Since: 12/2/2011
Post Count: 1,158

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2021 Coaching Carousel
   Posted: 11/29/2021 10:15:57 PM 
Notre Dame is fighting for a spot in the playoff and Cincy is fighting to keep their spot and all kinds of questions will be coming their way--as in is Coach Kelly coaching the Irish if they get into the playoff and is Luke Fickell a prime candidate for the Irish job? James Laurinaitis on the Fan they other day said his former Coach Fickell would only leave Cincy for two places, back to Columbus or to South Bend. What a week for this to hit the fan.

Notre Dame can't compete with LSU and $100,000,000. Not sure how the taxpayers are feeling about it in the Bayou state, but in our quest to be have steady hand at the helm, we aren't even at one-one hundreth of that salary. I thought the Lincoln Riley private jet and LA mansion was crazy enough, hate to think what is next.

Last Edited: 11/29/2021 10:20:25 PM by cbus cat fan

Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Post Count: 6,248

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2021 Coaching Carousel
   Posted: 11/29/2021 10:22:38 PM 
A playoff semifinal featuring two schools possibly with interim or outgoing coaches is one of the crazier things I could possibly see.
Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 8,645

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2021 Coaching Carousel
   Posted: 11/29/2021 11:28:19 PM 
cbus cat fan wrote:
Notre Dame is fighting for a spot in the playoff and Cincy is fighting to keep their spot and all kinds of questions will be coming their way--as in is Coach Kelly coaching the Irish if they get into the playoff and is Luke Fickell a prime candidate for the Irish job? James Laurinaitis on the Fan they other day said his former Coach Fickell would only leave Cincy for two places, back to Columbus or to South Bend. What a week for this to hit the fan.

Notre Dame can't compete with LSU and $100,000,000. Not sure how the taxpayers are feeling about it in the Bayou state, but in our quest to be have steady hand at the helm, we aren't even at one-one hundreth of that salary. I thought the Lincoln Riley private jet and LA mansion was crazy enough, hate to think what is next.


A big chunk, if not all, of what they pay Kelly will probably be footed by boosters, so Louisiana taxpayers will probably just shrug and say "Geaux Tigers."


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
cc-cat
General User

Member Since: 4/5/2006
Location: matthews, NC
Post Count: 3,572

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2021 Coaching Carousel
   Posted: 11/30/2021 9:33:17 AM 
cbus cat fan wrote:
Notre Dame can't compete with LSU and $100,000,000. Not sure how the taxpayers are feeling about it in the Bayou state,


If LSU wins, the taxpayers have no issue using their money to pay for the coach. Statewide referendum - it would win in a landslide and be at the top of their priority list.
Back to Top
  
colobobcat66
General User

Member Since: 9/1/2006
Location: Watching the bobcats run outside my window., CO
Post Count: 3,662

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2021 Coaching Carousel
   Posted: 11/30/2021 10:15:50 AM 
So this year it’s 10 million dollar salaries, how long will it take to be 15 or 20 mil? 20-30 million dollar buy outs, no problem. This seems just crazy. Sure there’s a lot of money in the sport, but it seems everybody is chasing rainbows. These teams paying 8-10 million can’t all win a championship. It’s a feeding frenzy that I can’t believe can continue, but it will.

Regarding the LSU situation, I think Mr Kelly is going to face some considerable culture shock down there. It should be very interesting to watch that unfold.
Addendum: they’re already trashing the idea of culture shock on the LSU board, so we shall see. We’ll see how many “local”assistants, he hires.

Last Edited: 11/30/2021 10:45:45 AM by colobobcat66

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 2,505

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2021 Coaching Carousel
   Posted: 11/30/2021 10:35:15 AM 
Yep, truly wild. I hadn't paid much attention, but finally read through the details of Lincoln Riley's contract.

-- $110 million
-- USC buying two houses from Riley in Norman, both for 500k over asking (presumably he gets to decide what he's asking)
-- Buying him a 6 million dollar home
-- Unlimited use of a private jet

We pay 500k. It's crazy that we're technically in the same division as they are.

Last Edited: 11/30/2021 10:36:49 AM by Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame

Back to Top
  
mf279801
General User

Member Since: 8/6/2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Post Count: 2,342

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2021 Coaching Carousel
   Posted: 11/30/2021 11:34:44 AM 
colobobcat66 wrote:
So this year it’s 10 million dollar salaries, how long will it take to be 15 or 20 mil? 20-30 million dollar buy outs, no problem. This seems just crazy. Sure there’s a lot of money in the sport, but it seems everybody is chasing rainbows. These teams paying 8-10 million can’t all win a championship. It’s a feeding frenzy that I can’t believe can continue, but it will.


A consequence of 13 years of quantitative easing?
Back to Top
  
cc-cat
General User

Member Since: 4/5/2006
Location: matthews, NC
Post Count: 3,572

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2021 Coaching Carousel
   Posted: 11/30/2021 11:58:32 AM 
cc-cat wrote:
cbus cat fan wrote:
Notre Dame can't compete with LSU and $100,000,000. Not sure how the taxpayers are feeling about it in the Bayou state,


If LSU wins, the taxpayers have no issue using their money to pay for the coach. Statewide referendum - it would win in a landslide and be at the top of their priority list.


That said, apparently Kelly was not the warmest guy with alumni and was not that popular in the locker room - per Troy Pride's (Carolina Panther) tweet "typical Brian" - Kelly met with the team at 7:00 this morning and was seen driving away from the football complex at 7:11. Thanks for the time coach. Cajuns like a little more hospitality.
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 8,125

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2021 Coaching Carousel
   Posted: 11/30/2021 12:15:40 PM 
cc-cat wrote:
cc-cat wrote:
cbus cat fan wrote:
Notre Dame can't compete with LSU and $100,000,000. Not sure how the taxpayers are feeling about it in the Bayou state,


If LSU wins, the taxpayers have no issue using their money to pay for the coach. Statewide referendum - it would win in a landslide and be at the top of their priority list.


That said, apparently Kelly was not the warmest guy with alumni and was not that popular in the locker room - per Troy Pride's (Carolina Panther) tweet "typical Brian" - Kelly met with the team at 7:00 this morning and was seen driving away from the football complex at 7:11. Thanks for the time coach. Cajuns like a little more hospitality.


That is 11:00 more than he gave his UC players when he left there. This may look good to some LSU folks, but they have been down this road before with outsiders.
Back to Top
  
cc-cat
General User

Member Since: 4/5/2006
Location: matthews, NC
Post Count: 3,572

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2021 Coaching Carousel
   Posted: 11/30/2021 12:29:14 PM 
And now he's trying to take Marcus Freeman with him - snake on a plane and in the Bayou
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 8,125

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2021 Coaching Carousel
   Posted: 11/30/2021 12:41:17 PM 
cc-cat wrote:
And now he's trying to take Marcus Freeman with him - snake on a plane and in the Bayou


The amount of money that LSU can toss at these cats is absurd compared to what they were making at ND. Freeman is in the mix for the head job, but the OC is not, and they could literally prepare for the playoffs with a gutted staff.
Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Post Count: 6,248

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2021 Coaching Carousel
   Posted: 11/30/2021 1:49:22 PM 
Virginia Tech hiring Penn State Defensive Coordinator Brent Pry. He coached under former Hokies' DC Bud Foster.
Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Post Count: 6,248

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: 2021 Coaching Carousel
   Posted: 11/30/2021 5:23:18 PM 
Unsubstantiated rumors:

-Ryan Day could be a frontrunner for the Chicago Bears job. If that happens, one has to think Luke Fickell will be a lead candidate for the Buckeyes. With that being said, Fickell is believed to leave Cincinnati for only two jobs: Ohio State and Notre Dame.

A little more juice behind these:

-Players, parents, alums and recruits are all in on Notre Dame retaining and promoting Defensive Coordinator Marcus Freeman to be their head coach. Freeman is being courted by LSU to be their Defensive Coordinator with Brian Kelly, rumored to be the highest paid DC in college football.

-If this turns out to be untrue and Fickell is the guy for Notre Dame, Freeman would be a lead candidate to replace his former boss at Cincinnati.

In other words, it's good to be Marcus Freeman today.
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  76 - 100  of 148 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Football' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             







Copyright ©2022 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties