Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Football
Topic:  RE: Albin signed to a 2 year extension through 2026

Topic:  RE: Albin signed to a 2 year extension through 2026
Author
Message
oubobcatjohn
General User

Member Since: 1/1/2005
Post Count: 803

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Albin signed to a 2 year extension through 2026
   Posted: 3/30/2023 12:19:16 AM 
If Albin averages 8 wins a year for ten years he will be among the best coaches in school history. That consistent winning should be rewarded and celebrated. MAC has a lot of parity. Solich had Ohio in top three in the MAC. That is elite. It isn't easy recruiting football at Ohio. We are not near an urban area or large TV market. We are long way from home for these kids. If you can win 8 games a year at Ohio that is a darn good job. Fans need to get over the first year. It was coming off a shortened season and mid summer coaching change.
Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 10,102

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Albin signed to a 2 year extension through 2026
   Posted: 3/30/2023 10:24:22 AM 
oubobcatjohn wrote:
If Albin averages 8 wins a year for ten years he will be among the best coaches in school history. That consistent winning should be rewarded and celebrated. MAC has a lot of parity. Solich had Ohio in top three in the MAC. That is elite. It isn't easy recruiting football at Ohio. We are not near an urban area or large TV market. We are long way from home for these kids. If you can win 8 games a year at Ohio that is a darn good job. Fans need to get over the first year. It was coming off a shortened season and mid summer coaching change.

The biggest fear of those opposed to the automatic extension seems to be that Albin will win 8, and only 8 wins every year. That is extremely unlikely. If he averages 8, there will be some some sixes and sevens mixed in with some nines and tens, in which case he will have some years where he isn't auto-renewed, and his remaining contract will grow shorter. If he does win 8 every year, that would mean that his average will be higher, with a mix of 8-9-10-11 win seasons. Thus, to achieve 8 wins every year, his win percentage would be competitive with Peden for the all-time best at Ohio.

Furthermore, if he does win 8 every year, and average 9 or better, the automatic extension may be irrelevant anyway, except in one way, as he may have the opportunity to move to a P5 school if he wants to. While I don't know the terms of the contract, if I were negotiating this contract, the payment for Ohio in case Albin wants to breach it would be tied to the number of years he had left on his contract, in which case, with every extension, the recovery by Ohio in the event Albin leaves would be preserved. As an example, say that the contract specifies that Albin must pay $250k for each remaining year on his contract in order to buy it out, and that he wins 8 next year, and 10 the following year, and then gets a P5 offer. The contract would be auto-extended twice, and there would still e 4 years left, so the payout would stay at $1m. Again, I don't know that this is the contract, but if I were Ohio, I would have insisted on something similar in exchange for the auto-renewal clause.


“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.” ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
Campus Flow
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Post Count: 4,961

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Albin signed to a 2 year extension through 2026
   Posted: 4/1/2023 8:41:06 PM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
Campus Flow wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
LuckySparrow wrote:
Per Pete Thamel.

Sources: Ohio University and coach Tim Albin have agreed to two-year contract extension through the 2026 season. His salary jumps to $700,000 from $535,000 and there’s a new clause that gives him an automatic year extension for winning eight games or the MAC championship.


Some heads on here are going to explode. Seems the AD didn’t listen to our pontifications on BA. This is quite shocking.


L.C. said 650k on the Extend Tim Albin thread. I estimated 675k-850k (762.5 average) for an extension on the Jason Candle thread. I told the few that were expecting a brinks truck (2-3 million per year) for Albin after sneaking out a bowl win as misguided.

Its a two year extension with a slight salary increase. Did the AD offer the same to Boals and he declined? Do the AD and Boals get along well or is Jeff on thin ice after his deplorable tweeting? Something doesn't sound right to me when a 10 win season and no MACC is worth more than a win in the NCAA tournament.


Can you point to anyone who stated that Albin should get 2-3 million per year from OHIO? Just curious.


Bobcat1998, DC_United47 and a few others were expecting the university to back up the brinks truck after we skated out of the Arizona Bowl with a win. I said at best it was going to be an extension in the range of what was signed.

Caught up on the optics and not reality.


Most Memorable Bobcat Events Attended
2010 97-83 win over Georgetown in NCAA 1st round
2012 45-13 victory over ULM in the Independence Bowl
2015 34-3 drubbing of Miami @ Peden front of 25,086

Back to Top
  
Campus Flow
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Post Count: 4,961

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Albin signed to a 2 year extension through 2026
   Posted: 4/2/2023 11:27:23 AM 
rpbobcat wrote:
Campus Flow wrote:


Its a two year extension with a slight salary increase.



If my math is correct, Albin's getting a +/- 31% increase in salary.

You can argue whether he's worth the increase.

But, I don't see how a +/- 31% increase can be considered "slight".


For FBS football it is. With an inflation rate of 6% compounded over 4 years is that the same as or more than 31%?

A raise is what Dusty May is getting at FAU going from $545k to over 1 million. That is hardly anything more than stepping his pay up from the move from CUSA to the AAC. Brinks truck increase is 300%+ and is what is needed to take a MAC coach off the board for a low level P5 job. WMU was about ready to do that for PJ Fleck.


Most Memorable Bobcat Events Attended
2010 97-83 win over Georgetown in NCAA 1st round
2012 45-13 victory over ULM in the Independence Bowl
2015 34-3 drubbing of Miami @ Peden front of 25,086

Back to Top
  
Bobcat1996
General User

Member Since: 1/2/2017
Post Count: 812

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Albin signed to a 2 year extension through 2026
   Posted: 4/2/2023 11:58:08 AM 
Three schools in the MAC have won a total of 10 regular season conference games in the past two seasons. Toledo, Ohio and Kent are 10-6 over that two year span. The head coaches at Central and Western Michigan along with Candle at Toledo are paid more than Coach Albin. I haven't done the math, but I'm guessing Ohio's league basketball record the past four or past two years is not as good as Akron, Kent or Toledo. I'm wondering if anyone is complaining about the money that Ohio pays the basketball coach, since he is the second highest paid MAC coach behind only Groce at Akron.

Last Edited: 4/2/2023 12:09:45 PM by Bobcat1996

Back to Top
  
M.D.W.S.T
General User



Member Since: 12/23/2021
Post Count: 1,876

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Albin signed to a 2 year extension through 2026
   Posted: 4/3/2023 1:50:18 PM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
M.D.W.S.T wrote:


I don't think it's any coincidence Brian arrives from years at Hawaii and Washington State and OU shifts to an Air-Raid style offense.


It helps to have a QB who can get the ball down the field.


Whom do you think was the QB in 2021?

And the head coach?

And the offensive coordinator?

When you figure out those three; who became the only new addition to the offensive staff, becoming passing game coordinator in 2022?

Last Edited: 4/3/2023 1:51:54 PM by M.D.W.S.T

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 9,580

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Albin signed to a 2 year extension through 2026
   Posted: 4/3/2023 3:18:05 PM 
M.D.W.S.T wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
M.D.W.S.T wrote:


I don't think it's any coincidence Brian arrives from years at Hawaii and Washington State and OU shifts to an Air-Raid style offense.


It helps to have a QB who can get the ball down the field.


Whom do you think was the QB in 2021?

And the head coach?

And the offensive coordinator?

When you figure out those three; who became the only new addition to the offensive staff, becoming passing game coordinator in 2022?


Yeah, with no experience, a bad shoulder, and poor OLine. but sure tell me you don't understand the game, without telling me you don't understand the game.
Back to Top
  
DC_United47
General User

Member Since: 7/23/2022
Post Count: 76

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Albin signed to a 2 year extension through 2026
   Posted: 4/9/2023 6:00:54 PM 
Campus Flow wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
Campus Flow wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
LuckySparrow wrote:
Per Pete Thamel.

Sources: Ohio University and coach Tim Albin have agreed to two-year contract extension through the 2026 season. His salary jumps to $700,000 from $535,000 and there’s a new clause that gives him an automatic year extension for winning eight games or the MAC championship.


Some heads on here are going to explode. Seems the AD didn’t listen to our pontifications on BA. This is quite shocking.


L.C. said 650k on the Extend Tim Albin thread. I estimated 675k-850k (762.5 average) for an extension on the Jason Candle thread. I told the few that were expecting a brinks truck (2-3 million per year) for Albin after sneaking out a bowl win as misguided.

Its a two year extension with a slight salary increase. Did the AD offer the same to Boals and he declined? Do the AD and Boals get along well or is Jeff on thin ice after his deplorable tweeting? Something doesn't sound right to me when a 10 win season and no MACC is worth more than a win in the NCAA tournament.


Can you point to anyone who stated that Albin should get 2-3 million per year from OHIO? Just curious.


Bobcat1998, DC_United47 and a few others were expecting the university to back up the brinks truck after we skated out of the Arizona Bowl with a win. I said at best it was going to be an extension in the range of what was signed.

Caught up on the optics and not reality.


LOL @ me next time!

Never said 2-3 million, but don’t let facts get in the way of a good story!

Congrats to Tim on the extension.. By every measure, the guy who’s been a part of the program’s success longer than BA has been around deserves the contract extension and raise. Hopefully this keeps him and the staff from taking the first train out of town after another 10-win season!
Back to Top
  
Ryan Carey
Site Programmer



Member Since: 11/11/2004
Post Count: 949

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Albin signed to a 2 year extension through 2026
   Posted: 4/12/2023 9:00:47 AM 
DC_United47 wrote:
By every measure, the guy who’s been a part of the program’s success longer than BA has been around deserves the contract extension and raise.


Just of note, today marks the 22nd anniversary of Ted registering the BA domain name. This site is an extension of the old TCOM boards hosted (then not hosted) by the university in the late 90's. So, technically speaking, we have been around longer than Albin has been in the program.


Ryan M. Carey
BBA 2001

Back to Top
  
Jeff McKinney
Moderator

Member Since: 11/12/2004
Post Count: 6,069

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Albin signed to a 2 year extension through 2026
   Posted: 4/12/2023 11:37:02 AM 
I remember the old TCOM boards well. Remember Marco?
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 9,580

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Albin signed to a 2 year extension through 2026
   Posted: 4/12/2023 12:45:43 PM 
Jeff McKinney wrote:
I remember the old TCOM boards well. Remember Marco?


Yes!!!! MARCO!

Thank you Ted!
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 14,016

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Albin signed to a 2 year extension through 2026
   Posted: 4/12/2023 10:36:59 PM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
Jeff McKinney wrote:
I remember the old TCOM boards well. Remember Marco?


Yes!!!! MARCO!

Thank you Ted!


Excuse a dumb question because I was not on the old TCOM board, but signed up early in the BA days. The screen name of MARCO sounds it might have been a Marshall fan. Is that correct?


The only BLSS Certified Hypocrite on BA

"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
Jeff McKinney
Moderator

Member Since: 11/12/2004
Post Count: 6,069

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Albin signed to a 2 year extension through 2026
   Posted: 4/12/2023 11:03:35 PM 
Yes. Trolled the board. But he was funny at times.
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 14,016

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Albin signed to a 2 year extension through 2026
   Posted: 4/12/2023 11:55:01 PM 
Jeff McKinney wrote:
Yes. Trolled the board. But he was funny at times.


Thanks!


The only BLSS Certified Hypocrite on BA

"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
SBH
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,789

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Albin signed to a 2 year extension through 2026
   Posted: 4/13/2023 1:44:12 PM 
The old site jumped the shark when 3Ball arrived.

Back to Top
  
Jeff McKinney
Moderator

Member Since: 11/12/2004
Post Count: 6,069

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Albin signed to a 2 year extension through 2026
   Posted: 4/14/2023 12:29:39 AM 
Yeah
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 14,016

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Albin signed to a 2 year extension through 2026
   Posted: 4/14/2023 11:22:08 AM 
Jeff McKinney wrote:
Yeah


What did 3Ball do that "jumped the shark"?


The only BLSS Certified Hypocrite on BA

"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
Deciduous Forest Cat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Ohio
Post Count: 4,319

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Albin signed to a 2 year extension through 2026
   Posted: 4/14/2023 12:46:26 PM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
Jeff McKinney wrote:
Yeah


What did 3Ball do that "jumped the shark"?


You didn't read 3ball so much as you experienced it.

Last Edited: 4/14/2023 12:47:01 PM by Deciduous Forest Cat

Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Post Count: 6,963

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Albin signed to a 2 year extension through 2026
   Posted: 4/14/2023 2:09:59 PM 
I'd probably pay money to read the TCOM board as I never got a chance (too young) and also anything on this site before the infamous data loss.
Back to Top
  
Campus Flow
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Post Count: 4,961

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Albin signed to a 2 year extension through 2026
   Posted: 4/14/2023 6:58:52 PM 
I was a lurker on the old TCOM boards. My thoughts on 3Ball is it was fun when he made up being on a beach with a drink in his hand at one of those pre-season basketball tournaments. Did he call himself 3Ball because he was tired of Larry Hunter's feed it to the big man strategy and wanted a three point centered offense? Ahead of his time maybe. D1 hoops has changed so much since those days.

Last Edited: 4/14/2023 9:44:57 PM by Campus Flow


Most Memorable Bobcat Events Attended
2010 97-83 win over Georgetown in NCAA 1st round
2012 45-13 victory over ULM in the Independence Bowl
2015 34-3 drubbing of Miami @ Peden front of 25,086

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 9,580

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Albin signed to a 2 year extension through 2026
   Posted: 4/15/2023 12:25:23 PM 
SBH wrote:
The old site jumped the shark when 3Ball arrived.



3Ball as well as his alter-ego, Benny and the Jets.
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 14,016

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Albin signed to a 2 year extension through 2026
   Posted: 4/15/2023 5:15:55 PM 
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
Jeff McKinney wrote:
Yeah


What did 3Ball do that "jumped the shark"?


You didn't read 3ball so much as you experienced it.



What the heck does this mean. I saw what CF said about him making up stuff like being in locations he wasn't in, or something like that. However, I still don't have a good picture of what it was he did that was so memorable. Can you, or anyone, give me an example of one his posts. I've heard about this 3Ball guy for years now, and he's some kind of exotic mystery to me -- kind of like the secrets of the Mayan pyramids.


The only BLSS Certified Hypocrite on BA

"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  51 - 72  of 72 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3
View Other 'Ohio Football' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             







Copyright ©2024 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties