Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Football
Topic:  RE: @ Ohio State in 2025

Topic:  RE: @ Ohio State in 2025
Author
Message
M.D.W.S.T
General User



Member Since: 12/23/2021
Post Count: 1,896

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: @ Ohio State in 2025
   Posted: 9/26/2023 1:31:00 PM 
colobobcat66 wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
colobobcat66 wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:
bobcatgrad wrote:
It will be a real challenge to stay healthy through that 2025 stretch against Rutgers, WVU and OSU, but depending on the game results, I imagine the players could really love this schedule.

Great to play OSU again though. It took them 13 years to get over the Rufus incident apparently. ;)

Also, excited to play Nebraska. I imagine this game would might not have been possible with a Solich-led OHIO team.

And the one match up I still want to see at some point is OHIO vs. Michigan. We still have yet to play the Wolverines in football. Might help their fans to tell the difference between the 2 Ohio schools too. ;)


Again I must ask why you'd be more concerned about our health here. Is there any evidence that g5/p5 games lead to more injuries? This conventional wisdom has never been backed by any actual information. I don't know why it keeps turning up.


Glad you called this out. Its a complete myth. As but one example, I remember in one of the games we played against Pitt they had numerous players go down with injuries and we had virtually none. The worst single game for OHIO injuries was a game against Marshall in 1965 when we had something like seven season-ending injuries. I did not see that game as I was on active duty in the U.S. Navy at the time, but I read about it.


In this day and age, I would not be surprised that some sort of study hasnt been done by some Masters student somewhere. There may not be much correlation because injuries seem to be pretty random, but simple physics would seem to support the theory that bigger/faster/stronger would cause more injuries for the smaller/slower/weaker players.


But, P5 guys are not always, or usually, bigger/faster/stronger than the G5 guy they are opposing. They may be better in one or two of those categories much of the time, but seldom all three at the same time. And, from my own anecdotal observations, OHIO and other teams I follow are more likely to have more and more serious injuries against lesser competition -- perhaps because they are less focused on what they are doing and therefore make an awkward move or allow themselves to be tackled in a less than ideal position because they aren't focused on the fundamentals.


Of course they arent always all those things, but Im talking about averages. The P5 average all those things over most G5 teams players. Ive checked for studies on this a little and cant find any kind of definitive study, but there are dozens on studies on injuries in general. The raw data are available, nobody seems to have addressed this particular issue, but it almost certainly could be done if someone would be so inclined.

As far as your observations, they may be correct , just not sure how statistically valid those would be based on sample size, even though you go back to the first football game between Rutgers and Princeton in 1869.


I think it's more a game of DEPTH of those bigger/faster/stronger guys.

Not to hate on our guys, but it's MAC football. Our 2nd and 3rd guys are not their 2nd and 3rd guys. And thats where it gets dicey, when people are tired adn taking hits from bigger/stronger/faster constantly over the course of a game.
Back to Top
  
Campus Flow
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Post Count: 4,967

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: @ Ohio State in 2025
   Posted: 9/26/2023 1:52:32 PM 
M.D.W.S.T wrote:
colobobcat66 wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
colobobcat66 wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:
bobcatgrad wrote:
It will be a real challenge to stay healthy through that 2025 stretch against Rutgers, WVU and OSU, but depending on the game results, I imagine the players could really love this schedule.

Great to play OSU again though. It took them 13 years to get over the Rufus incident apparently. ;)

Also, excited to play Nebraska. I imagine this game would might not have been possible with a Solich-led OHIO team.

And the one match up I still want to see at some point is OHIO vs. Michigan. We still have yet to play the Wolverines in football. Might help their fans to tell the difference between the 2 Ohio schools too. ;)


Again I must ask why you'd be more concerned about our health here. Is there any evidence that g5/p5 games lead to more injuries? This conventional wisdom has never been backed by any actual information. I don't know why it keeps turning up.


Glad you called this out. Its a complete myth. As but one example, I remember in one of the games we played against Pitt they had numerous players go down with injuries and we had virtually none. The worst single game for OHIO injuries was a game against Marshall in 1965 when we had something like seven season-ending injuries. I did not see that game as I was on active duty in the U.S. Navy at the time, but I read about it.


In this day and age, I would not be surprised that some sort of study hasnt been done by some Masters student somewhere. There may not be much correlation because injuries seem to be pretty random, but simple physics would seem to support the theory that bigger/faster/stronger would cause more injuries for the smaller/slower/weaker players.


But, P5 guys are not always, or usually, bigger/faster/stronger than the G5 guy they are opposing. They may be better in one or two of those categories much of the time, but seldom all three at the same time. And, from my own anecdotal observations, OHIO and other teams I follow are more likely to have more and more serious injuries against lesser competition -- perhaps because they are less focused on what they are doing and therefore make an awkward move or allow themselves to be tackled in a less than ideal position because they aren't focused on the fundamentals.


Of course they arent always all those things, but Im talking about averages. The P5 average all those things over most G5 teams players. Ive checked for studies on this a little and cant find any kind of definitive study, but there are dozens on studies on injuries in general. The raw data are available, nobody seems to have addressed this particular issue, but it almost certainly could be done if someone would be so inclined.

As far as your observations, they may be correct , just not sure how statistically valid those would be based on sample size, even though you go back to the first football game between Rutgers and Princeton in 1869.


I think it's more a game of DEPTH of those bigger/faster/stronger guys.

Not to hate on our guys, but it's MAC football. Our 2nd and 3rd guys are not their 2nd and 3rd guys. And thats where it gets dicey, when people are tired adn taking hits from bigger/stronger/faster constantly over the course of a game.


Its possible to offset somewhat with more experienced players but its rare to be that much more experienced in the 2nd/3rd for it to make a difference.


Most Memorable Bobcat Events Attended
2010 97-83 win over Georgetown in NCAA 1st round
2012 45-13 victory over ULM in the Independence Bowl
2015 34-3 drubbing of Miami @ Peden front of 25,086

Back to Top
  
MonroeClassmate
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2010
Post Count: 2,017

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: @ Ohio State in 2025
   Posted: 9/26/2023 7:23:13 PM 
Id like to know where Lou Holtz is right now, Day said after the game. What he said about our team, I cannot believe. This is a tough team right here. Were proud to be from Ohio. Its always been Ohio against the world. And it will continue to be Ohio against the world. I love those kids and weve got a tough team."

Can the Dumb Azz please say STATE after OHIO?
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 14,016

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: @ Ohio State in 2025
   Posted: 9/26/2023 9:15:15 PM 
MonroeClassmate wrote:
Id like to know where Lou Holtz is right now, Day said after the game. What he said about our team, I cannot believe. This is a tough team right here. Were proud to be from Ohio. Its always been Ohio against the world. And it will continue to be Ohio against the world. I love those kids and weve got a tough team."

Can the Dumb Azz please say STATE after OHIO?


+1 He really doesn't know where he is coaching. That's sad!


The only BLSS Certified Hypocrite on BA

"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
Deciduous Forest Cat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Ohio
Post Count: 4,327

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: @ Ohio State in 2025
   Posted: 9/27/2023 7:12:39 AM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
MonroeClassmate wrote:
Id like to know where Lou Holtz is right now, Day said after the game. What he said about our team, I cannot believe. This is a tough team right here. Were proud to be from Ohio. Its always been Ohio against the world. And it will continue to be Ohio against the world. I love those kids and weve got a tough team."

Can the Dumb Azz please say STATE after OHIO?


+1 He really doesn't know where he is coaching. That's sad!


He might know where he's coaching, but he obviously didn't know it was Ohio vs Bowling Green Saturday.

Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 10,115

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: @ Ohio State in 2025
   Posted: 9/27/2023 9:00:23 AM 
giacomo wrote:
I remember my freshman year we played Marshall on the road and I listened to the game in my Ryors Hall dorm room, 1977. I think we had at least 7 injuries and maybe more. Starting QB out for the season(cant recall his name). A promising season gone sour.

That sounds awful. I know that over the years, there have been many seasons where there were a lot of injuries, with 2008 and 2012 coming to mind particularly. One game that comes to mind that was a turning point in a season was the game against Toledo in 2005. Ohio had a pretty good offensive line that year, but no depth at all. The starters were playing nearly every snap. Ohio lost three starters on the offensive line in about 5 minutes, if my memory is correct. Prior to that point, Ohio still in the running for the top of the MAC East, and for bowl eligibility. They ended up losing to Toledo (who ended 9-3) by the score of 30-21, but then scored only 10 points total in the last two games combined. I have always wondered how that season would have played out with a healthy offensive line.


We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  51 - 56  of 56 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3
View Other 'Ohio Football' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             





Copyright ©2024 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties