Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Basketball
Topic:  Gabe Wiznitzer

Topic:  Gabe Wiznitzer
Author
Message
Trevor Stephens
General User

Member Since: 12/13/2017
Post Count: 65

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  Gabe Wiznitzer
   Posted: 4/15/2022 8:41:31 PM 
https://twitter.com/GabeWiznitzer/status/1515117852180815877

https://gocards.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/gabe-wi...

Freshman Year:

Saw action in 12 of the Cardinals’ 20 games as a freshman.

Totaled season highs of four points and six rebounds against Georgia Tech on Feb. 1 while playing a season-high 16 minutes.

Played 12 minutes at Wisconsin, scoring four points.

Scored his first collegiate point against Prairie View A&M. He grabbed a pair of rebounds twice.

Had intended to redshirt the 2020-21 season, but the opportunity to play without losing a season of eligibility allowed him to play immediately.

High School:

Averaged 14.2 points and 10.1 rebounds a game, while shooting 42 percent from three-point range, last season as a junior on the postgraduate team for Hargrave Military Academy in Chatham, Va.. Hargrave achieved a 37-4 record and reached the semifinals of the national prep championship.

Was originally slated for this year’s recruiting class, but reclassified to enter college in 2020-21. He has been Ranked No. 115 in the nation by Rivals.com and No. 132 by 247Sports.com.

His 16 rebounds led the 2019 National Prep Showcase on the first day of the event, adding 15 points and two blocked shots in an 89-72 Hargrave victory.

Before transferring to Hargrave, Wiznitzer averaged 13.2 points, 10.4 rebounds and 1.5 blocks per game while connecting on 34.6 percent of his three-point attempts as a sophomore at The Christ School in Arden, N.C., where he played three seasons.

Christ School posted a 16-14 record and finished as the runner-up in the state 2019 NCISAA 4A Championship in his final year there.

Fourth product of Hargrave to play for the Cardinals, joining Montrezl Harrell (2012-15 at Louisville), Terry Rozier (2013-15) and Anton Gill (2013-15).

Before choosing to sign with the Cardinals, Wiznitzer also had offers from Ohio State, LSU, Kansas State, Cincinnati, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Iowa, Pittsburgh and West Virginia among others.

Personal:

Born Oct. 9. 2001 ... Son of Lisa Wiznitzer ... has one older (Nick) and one younger (Ben) brother ... Major is pre-business.

Personal goal at UofL is to “become a better player and person.”

Best moment of his athletic career to date was committing to UofL.

Enjoys playing video games and hanging out at the lake in his spare time.

Chose to attend UofL because of “the balance between athletics and academics.”

Wearing No. 23 because it was his high school number.

Best basketball advice given to him was hard work is greater than talent.

Most proud of his brothers and mom.

His mother has had the greatest influence on his athletic career.

Few people know that can water ski, he played the trombone, and he loves country music.

If you walked into his dorm room, the first thing you would notice is his posters on the wall.

Best thing about being a Cardinal is “having the ability to compete in the ACC and the fan support.”

When playing basketball as a kid, he pretended he was Carmelo Anthony.

Best athlete he ever faced was Zion WIlliamson.

Would most like to meet Riley Green.

What impresses him the most about Coach Mack is “his ability to develop players and his success in the past.”

Favorites:
Basketball Player: Kevin Love

NBA Team: Denver Nuggets

Athlete, other than a basketball player: Derek Jeter

Movie: The Avengers

TV Shows: Prison Break, Shooter

Actor: Robert Downey, Jr.

Website: ESPN.com

Comedian: Adam Sandler

Musical Group/Singer: Riley Green, Morgan Wallen, Luke Combs

TV Sports Personality: Mark Jackson

Book: Sahara

Class at UofL: speech/public speaking

Foods: Italian foods, pizza

Midnight Snack: popcorn

Vacation spot: Charleston, S.C.

Last Edited: 4/15/2022 8:43:04 PM by Trevor Stephens

Back to Top
  
RufusCat09
General User

Member Since: 12/14/2019
Post Count: 282

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Gabe Wiznitzer
   Posted: 4/15/2022 8:48:55 PM 
A 6'11" big man that can shoot 3's? yes please
Back to Top
  
Trevor Stephens
General User

Member Since: 12/13/2017
Post Count: 65

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Gabe Wiznitzer
   Posted: 4/15/2022 8:53:42 PM 
RufusCat09 wrote:
A 6'11" big man that can shoot 3's? yes please


Has 0 3 pt attempts and has only played 99 mins over two years 41 % from field and 15 points total in his college career.

Last Edited: 4/15/2022 8:54:12 PM by Trevor Stephens

Back to Top
  
RufusCat09
General User

Member Since: 12/14/2019
Post Count: 282

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Gabe Wiznitzer
   Posted: 4/15/2022 8:55:54 PM 
Trevor Stephens wrote:
RufusCat09 wrote:
A 6'11" big man that can shoot 3's? yes please


Has 0 3 pt attempts and has only played 99 mins over two years 41 % from field and 15 points total in his college career.


Sure, but it appears something within the skillset based on his HS numbers (42% from 3 as you stated). Pretty sure he will be playing a significant number of minutes this season so we shall see.

Last Edited: 4/15/2022 8:57:47 PM by RufusCat09

Back to Top
  
bobcatsquared
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,993

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Gabe Wiznitzer
   Posted: 4/15/2022 8:59:50 PM 
Admittedly a bit ignorant about this new Bobcat. Therefore, wondering two things: 1. why a 4-star gets so little PT at Louisville? Injuries? Coach's decision? and 2. will his skill set allow Boals to play him alongside DWIII?
Back to Top
  
FearLeon
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 2,854

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Gabe Wiznitzer
   Posted: 4/15/2022 9:02:30 PM 
How many years of eligibility will Gabe have in an Ohio uniform?

I know he didn't play much at Louisville, but obviously he had a significant skillset coming out of HS where he was a 4-star recruit.

Liking this a lot and he's starting center moving forward after DW3 leaves. We will have size on the floor with those guys getting some minutes on the floor at the same time next season.

Count me in as hopeful with this one. We can't swing and miss with the portal.




#BleedGreen #TrentIsGOAT

Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 4,833

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Gabe Wiznitzer
   Posted: 4/15/2022 9:05:24 PM 
He should have three years. That would put him in the same eligibility class as Ezuma and Clayton. Will the three coexist or will there be an odd man out?
Back to Top
  
Cellis033
General User



Member Since: 11/11/2021
Location: Powell, OH
Post Count: 852

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Gabe Wiznitzer
   Posted: 4/15/2022 9:22:18 PM 
shabamon wrote:
He should have three years. That would put him in the same eligibility class as Ezuma and Clayton. Will the three coexist or will there be an odd man out?


I think he will slot into the center position once Dwight leaves after this year. I can see him rotating in now and then next year

Last Edited: 4/15/2022 9:22:42 PM by Cellis033


Chase
OU Engineering Technology and Management '24
O-Zone Leader
Bringing the noise!

Muck Fiami
Kent read, Kent write, Can't be a state!
Bowling Green isn't a state either.

Back to Top
  
longtiimelurker
General User

Member Since: 2/2/2017
Post Count: 519

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Gabe Wiznitzer
   Posted: 4/15/2022 9:47:25 PM 
Says he is another Hargrave guy? There should be plenty of film to watch on him. Just went over to YouTube and saw that he played with K.D. Johnson and Mark Sears. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evHNALRYBUg

Looks like Boals' frontcourt is getting some depth. Just looking around the UL forum it says he broke his wrist in the early season last year.

https://louisville.forums.rivals.com/threads/gabe-wiznitz... /

Back to Top
  
greencat
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 1,299

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Gabe Wiznitzer
   Posted: 4/15/2022 10:51:27 PM 
247 lists other offers as DePaul, Clemson, Iowa, Kansas St., TCU, etc.

He does take and hit a jump shot near the end of this video but his true worth will be that he is 7-feet tall and can rebound and play defense. As far as any comparisons to Marc Gasol or Jonas Valanciunas etc. - not so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKJTbQbUJL0
Back to Top
  
RufusCat09
General User

Member Since: 12/14/2019
Post Count: 282

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Gabe Wiznitzer
   Posted: 4/15/2022 10:51:28 PM 
Cellis033 wrote:
shabamon wrote:
He should have three years. That would put him in the same eligibility class as Ezuma and Clayton. Will the three coexist or will there be an odd man out?


I think he will slot into the center position once Dwight leaves after this year. I can see him rotating in now and then next year


I'm taking it year by year. Nothing is guaranteed with the transfer portal environment that we are living in.

One good year by "insert name here" and they are looking for bigger and better things. It's the sad world we live in.
Back to Top
  
FlashGary
General User

Member Since: 6/18/2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Post Count: 359

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Gabe Wiznitzer
   Posted: 4/16/2022 12:16:06 AM 
I see this as the fifth recruit joining our impressive freshman class. Finally, a player in the post with length, 6-11, who obviously had big-time skills coming out of high school based upon the long list of Power 5 schools who recruited him. Can he help us this year? How can we yet know? If not, if he sits the bench and plays sparingly--behind Dwight and Ezuma, assuming they stick around--I'm thinking coach Boals is projecting Gabe will be ready to rock and roll for the following two seasons after that.

We've had such a difficult time recruiting quality post players with length who are ready to play right away. Like forever!!! We've had some success developing a few who came along and were ready to really contribute by their junior seasons. If Gabe comes along, he may turn into a pretty good player, I hope...

Last Edited: 4/16/2022 12:18:41 AM by FlashGary

Back to Top
  
Jeff McKinney
Moderator

Member Since: 11/12/2004
Post Count: 5,745

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Gabe Wiznitzer
   Posted: 4/16/2022 1:55:24 AM 
One thing I like about him is that he has a really strong frame.
Back to Top
  
Bobcat1998
General User

Member Since: 11/7/2012
Post Count: 1,851

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Gabe Wiznitzer
   Posted: 4/16/2022 8:29:25 AM 
bobcatsquared wrote:
Admittedly a bit ignorant about this new Bobcat. Therefore, wondering two things: 1. why a 4-star gets so little PT at Louisville? Injuries? Coach's decision? and 2. will his skill set allow Boals to play him alongside DWIII?


How about Chris Mack is a moron?
Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 90

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Gabe Wiznitzer
   Posted: 4/16/2022 8:47:49 AM 
Bobcat1998 wrote:
bobcatsquared wrote:
Admittedly a bit ignorant about this new Bobcat. Therefore, wondering two things: 1. why a 4-star gets so little PT at Louisville? Injuries? Coach's decision? and 2. will his skill set allow Boals to play him alongside DWIII?


How about Chris Mack is a moron?


It’s also the ACC. Arguably the best conference in CBB. 4-stars are competing with other 4 and 5-stars. Not everyone transitions to that high level.
Back to Top
  
longtiimelurker
General User

Member Since: 2/2/2017
Post Count: 519

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Gabe Wiznitzer
   Posted: 4/16/2022 9:22:09 AM 
FJC31 wrote:
Bobcat1998 wrote:
bobcatsquared wrote:
Admittedly a bit ignorant about this new Bobcat. Therefore, wondering two things: 1. why a 4-star gets so little PT at Louisville? Injuries? Coach's decision? and 2. will his skill set allow Boals to play him alongside DWIII?


How about Chris Mack is a moron?


It’s also the ACC. Arguably the best conference in CBB. 4-stars are competing with other 4 and 5-stars. Not everyone transitions to that high level.


Searching UL forums shows the injuries, timing with the coaching changes and style changes had something to do with things. Watching him in several YouTubes shows he is capable. I do not think the project tag applies here as he is running the floor, getting passes and finishing from 3 different guards in the games watched. He will work into the starting lineup no matter who is available. I could be wrong, but I do not see him as a back up or someone who will need to wait his turn. Been a long time since we saw a really servicable Big Manz as Monroe used to say. One of the forum posts was lauding him for his unique understanding of the high ball screen and execution of pick and roll situations.

Back to Top
  
FearLeon
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 2,854

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Gabe Wiznitzer
   Posted: 4/16/2022 10:31:24 AM 
No way this guy is a "project". Dude is a 4-star coming out of school and things didn't go his way at Louisville for whatever reasons that have already been mentioned.

He's not coming to Ohio to sit year one.

He is going to play from day one and make a significant impact.


#BleedGreen #TrentIsGOAT

Back to Top
  
MonroeClassmate
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2010
Post Count: 1,585

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Gabe Wiznitzer
   Posted: 4/16/2022 10:41:13 AM 
Video showed him with a decent left hand.

Bring in Kareem for a Master Class and perfect that sky hook!

Is this some Tommy Freeman assistance in bringing him to OHIO?

He played trombone; perhaps he can be in the 110 till the season starts!

Last Edited: 4/16/2022 10:46:29 AM by MonroeClassmate

Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 8,606

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Gabe Wiznitzer
   Posted: 4/16/2022 11:57:44 AM 
Obviously Boals sees something in him, so I'm hoping his lack of PT is just a matter of better players on the L'ville roster (a la Simmons at Mich). Or maybe he just didn't fit in with the coach's system. And if we wind up with an odd man out, so be it. It's better than being thin at the position. With DW3 out all of last season and Carter having leg issues we were really hurting for big men most of the year. I'd take a surplus any day.


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
cc-cat
General User

Member Since: 4/5/2006
Location: matthews, NC
Post Count: 3,564

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Gabe Wiznitzer
   Posted: 4/16/2022 1:16:39 PM 
Outstanding news. Can't believe some folks are getting caught up in his stats/lack of time at Louisville. Much better roster competition and playing against MUCH better opponents. But then there were folks at this time last year (and well into the season - "disappointment") complaining about Carter signing on. Question for folks - if he were coming straight out of Hargrave how would you feel?
Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 865

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Gabe Wiznitzer
   Posted: 4/16/2022 1:51:08 PM 
Pataskala wrote:
Obviously Boals sees something in him, so I'm hoping his lack of PT is just a matter of better players on the L'ville roster (a la Simmons at Mich). Or maybe he just didn't fit in with the coach's system. And if we wind up with an odd man out, so be it. It's better than being thin at the position. With DW3 out all of last season and Carter having leg issues we were really hurting for big men most of the year. I'd take a surplus any day.


Andy Kanzig 2.0?
Back to Top
  
Doc Bobcat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,947

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Gabe Wiznitzer
   Posted: 4/16/2022 4:54:17 PM 
A shot blocker….yes please.
Back to Top
  
Andrew Ruck
General User



Member Since: 12/22/2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 3,861

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Gabe Wiznitzer
   Posted: 4/16/2022 5:21:03 PM 
greencat wrote:
247 lists other offers as DePaul, Clemson, Iowa, Kansas St., TCU, etc.


Are these other offers when he committed to Louisville? Or were these programs offering him thru the portal to join in 2022?


Andrew Ruck
B.B.A. 2003

Back to Top
  
BurritoBuggy4
General User

Member Since: 4/19/2021
Post Count: 72

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Gabe Wiznitzer
   Posted: 4/16/2022 10:04:17 PM 
cc-cat wrote:
Outstanding news. Can't believe some folks are getting caught up in his stats/lack of time at Louisville. Much better roster competition and playing against MUCH better opponents. But then there were folks at this time last year (and well into the season - "disappointment") complaining about Carter signing on. Question for folks - if he were coming straight out of Hargrave how would you feel?


Well said.
Back to Top
  
Jeff McKinney
Moderator

Member Since: 11/12/2004
Post Count: 5,745

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Gabe Wiznitzer
   Posted: 4/16/2022 10:39:18 PM 
Andrew Ruck wrote:
greencat wrote:
247 lists other offers as DePaul, Clemson, Iowa, Kansas St., TCU, etc.


Are these other offers when he committed to Louisville? Or were these programs offering him thru the portal to join in 2022?


When he committed to Louisville. In the portal, Creighton, Davidson and some Ivy League schools were involved among others.
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 25  of 35 Posts
Jump to Page:  1 | 2    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Basketball' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             







Copyright ©2022 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties