Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Basketball
Topic:  RE: Jason Preston with the Memphis Hustle

Topic:  RE: Jason Preston with the Memphis Hustle
Author
Message
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 9,613

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Jason Preston with the Memphis Hustle
   Posted: 2/7/2024 10:32:57 PM 
100%Cat wrote:
I watched JP's Salt Lake game around a week ago that was on ESPN+. I love the kid, but I think it's time to accept that he's going to be a G-League level player. I'm sure he could go to Europe and play, but I'm guessing G-League money is better? Or at least close enough to not justify moving/living in Europe? He was on pace for a triple double in the game I watched and sat for a huge portion of the 4th because a guy off the bench hit a few quick shots and they tried to ride the hot hand. I think Jason finished with 10-8-8 in that game. At this point, I feel like it's clear that his skill set either won't translate to the NBA level or doesn't appeal to the NBA level. Players with a more selfish game that look to score first (and second, and third) seem to get more "love." I hope he continues to make a good living off of the game, I just don't see it happening at the NBA level.


More money in Europe for most, but he's been signed to good contracts for him that give him a path. It's a small window, but he's working it, and congratulations to him for being able to do this.
Back to Top
  
100%Cat
General User



Member Since: 1/17/2013
Post Count: 2,503

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Jason Preston with the Memphis Hustle
   Posted: 2/8/2024 7:03:05 AM 
Another triple-double for Jay last night. 14-11-11.
Back to Top
  
M.D.W.S.T
General User



Member Since: 12/23/2021
Post Count: 1,896

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Jason Preston with the Memphis Hustle
   Posted: 2/8/2024 9:19:46 AM 
100%Cat wrote:
Another triple-double for Jay last night. 14-11-11.


Heís performing everywhere he goes - just canít crack into the lineup.

No respect for the Jason Kiddís anymore. GMís want their PG to put up 30 points 5 assists more than 10-10-10.
Back to Top
  
100%Cat
General User



Member Since: 1/17/2013
Post Count: 2,503

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Jason Preston with the Memphis Hustle
   Posted: 2/9/2024 8:12:49 AM 
Jay got 1 minute of game time last night (according to the box) in Utah's game against the Suns. 1 rebound in 1 minute. It looks like he and Juzang both got called up to the Association.
Back to Top
  
Jeff McKinney
Moderator

Member Since: 11/12/2004
Post Count: 6,082

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Jason Preston with the Memphis Hustle
   Posted: 2/9/2024 12:03:25 PM 
100%, I agree with your assessment that shoot first guys with a selfish streak get more notice than a player like Jason. I noticed that in the Summer League. But I hope Jason keeps trying.
Back to Top
  
Andrew Ruck
General User



Member Since: 12/22/2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 4,764

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Jason Preston with the Memphis Hustle
   Posted: 2/9/2024 12:10:21 PM 
100%Cat wrote:
Jay got 1 minute of game time last night (according to the box) in Utah's game against the Suns. 1 rebound in 1 minute. It looks like he and Juzang both got called up to the Association.


Well this is encouraging, confirms he is on the cusp and one of their first call-ups. Clarkson/Sexton seem to be a platoon at the PG position, would be interesting to see if one of them has to miss time would they stick with a platoon or up the minutes of the healthy one.


Andrew Ruck
B.B.A. 2003

Back to Top
  
M.D.W.S.T
General User



Member Since: 12/23/2021
Post Count: 1,896

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Jason Preston with the Memphis Hustle
   Posted: 2/9/2024 4:07:42 PM 
Andrew Ruck wrote:
100%Cat wrote:
Jay got 1 minute of game time last night (according to the box) in Utah's game against the Suns. 1 rebound in 1 minute. It looks like he and Juzang both got called up to the Association.


Well this is encouraging, confirms he is on the cusp and one of their first call-ups. Clarkson/Sexton seem to be a platoon at the PG position, would be interesting to see if one of them has to miss time would they stick with a platoon or up the minutes of the healthy one.


They played thirteen guys last night.

I'm not sure they know what they're doing at the moment. They've lost 7 of the last 11, hanging on to that 10th spot by a thread, so hopefully they start playing some young guys if/when Golden State passes them.

Keyonte George has been their 3rd PG, and been playing pretty well. I'm no NBA GM, but unsure where JP fits into this team barring injuries. Other than what I've said... to keep their shooters off the ball more in the G-League. Utah has already called KG their PG of the future.
https://theathletic.com/5016075/2023/10/31/keyonte-george... /

Bit frustrating. Send him to San Antonio with Tre Jones.

Last Edited: 2/9/2024 4:17:42 PM by M.D.W.S.T

Back to Top
  
AlumDadDad
General User



Member Since: 10/18/2015
Post Count: 528

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Jason Preston with the Memphis Hustle
   Posted: 2/9/2024 8:38:53 PM 
You know what, I like the SA idea. Pop is the type of coach who appreciates his type of play. JP feeding Wemby...that has a nice ring to it.
Back to Top
  
Taiwan BC
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Kaohsiung
Post Count: 475

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Jason Preston with the Memphis Hustle
   Posted: 2/13/2024 5:45:47 AM 
No minutes for Jason against the Warriors... PG Keyonte George had a great line though... 29 minutes, 1 board, 4 assists and 5 points. Yeesh!
Back to Top
  
100%Cat
General User



Member Since: 1/17/2013
Post Count: 2,503

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Jason Preston with the Memphis Hustle
   Posted: 2/13/2024 12:30:03 PM 
Taiwan BC wrote:
No minutes for Jason against the Warriors... PG Keyonte George had a great line though... 29 minutes, 1 board, 4 assists and 5 points. Yeesh!


The box score doesn't show Jay as having been on the Jazz roster vs Golden St. Was he on the bench?
Back to Top
  
Taiwan BC
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Kaohsiung
Post Count: 475

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Jason Preston with the Memphis Hustle
   Posted: 2/14/2024 8:15:21 AM 
I think you're right. But with a performance like George had, Jason should get his chance!


Go Bobcats!
Back to Top
  
cc-cat
General User

Member Since: 4/5/2006
Location: matthews, NC
Post Count: 3,844

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Jason Preston with the Memphis Hustle
   Posted: 2/14/2024 8:59:57 AM 
George is their 1st round pick in his rookie year and is getting solid minutes and playing well for them. preston is not going to get time over him.
Back to Top
  
M.D.W.S.T
General User



Member Since: 12/23/2021
Post Count: 1,896

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Jason Preston with the Memphis Hustle
   Posted: 2/14/2024 10:55:26 AM 
Taiwan BC wrote:
I think you're right. But with a performance like George had, Jason should get his chance!


Go Bobcats!


We're all JP fans here, but that was one game.

George is averaging 11/4/3 through 48 games as a rookie and will be playing in the Rising Stars game during All-Star Weekend.

He was their 16th pick. JP isn't getting time over him. Which is part of my continued gripe with him being on the Jazz at all.
https://www.nba.com/news/kia-rookie-ladder-feb-7-2024-edi...
Back to Top
  
100%Cat
General User



Member Since: 1/17/2013
Post Count: 2,503

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Jason Preston with the Memphis Hustle
   Posted: 2/14/2024 11:06:22 AM 
25pts/15reb/12 assists for Jay last night against his former Memphis G League team.
Back to Top
  
Andrew Ruck
General User



Member Since: 12/22/2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 4,764

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Jason Preston with the Memphis Hustle
   Posted: 2/14/2024 11:45:30 AM 
Damn another helluva line. Do they have G League stat leaders? Awards?


Andrew Ruck
B.B.A. 2003

Back to Top
  
M.D.W.S.T
General User



Member Since: 12/23/2021
Post Count: 1,896

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Jason Preston with the Memphis Hustle
   Posted: 2/14/2024 12:11:07 PM 
Andrew Ruck wrote:
Damn another helluva line. Do they have G League stat leaders? Awards?


Like the NBA, they have All-NBA G League teams each year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-NBA_G_League_Team

They also have individual awards.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NBA_G_League_awards...

They also have an All-Star Game "tournament" four teams: https://gleague.nba.com/up-next

This years rosters:

Matas Buzelis, G League Ignite
Collin Gillespie, Grand Rapids Gold
Ron Holland, G League Ignite
Keyontae Johnson, Oklahoma City Blue
Kenneth Lofton Jr., Delaware Blue Coats (Replaced by Kyle Mangas)
Kyle Mangas, Indiana Mad Ants
Jermaine Samuels, Rio Grande Valley Vipers
Quinndary Weatherspoon, South Bay Lakers


Ashton Hagans, Rip City Remix
Dink Pate, G League Ignite
Trevelin Queen, Osceola Magic
Babacar Sane, G League Ignite
Ethan Thompson, Mexico City Capitanes
Oscar Tshiebwe, Indiana Mad Ants
Alondes Williams, Sioux Falls Skyforce


Izan Almansa, G League Ignite
Emoni Bates, Cleveland Charge
JD Davison, Maine Celtics
Kevon Harris, Osceola Magic
Javan Johnson, Santa Cruz Warriors
London Johnson, G League Ignite
Skal Labissiere, Stockton Kings


Dominick Barlow, Austin Spurs
Darius Bazley, Delaware Blue Coats
Thierry Darlan, G League Ignite
Luka Garza, Iowa Wolves
Markquis Nowell, Raptors 905 (Replaced by Isaiah Wong)
Tyler Smith, G League Ignite
Cole Swider, Sioux Falls Skyforce
Isaiah Wong, Indiana Mad Ants
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 9,613

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Jason Preston with the Memphis Hustle
   Posted: 2/14/2024 4:05:22 PM 
M.D.W.S.T wrote:
Andrew Ruck wrote:
Damn another helluva line. Do they have G League stat leaders? Awards?


Like the NBA, they have All-NBA G League teams each year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-NBA_G_League_Team

They also have individual awards.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NBA_G_League_awards...

They also have an All-Star Game "tournament" four teams: https://gleague.nba.com/up-next

This years rosters:

Matas Buzelis, G League Ignite
Collin Gillespie, Grand Rapids Gold
Ron Holland, G League Ignite
Keyontae Johnson, Oklahoma City Blue
Kenneth Lofton Jr., Delaware Blue Coats (Replaced by Kyle Mangas)
Kyle Mangas, Indiana Mad Ants
Jermaine Samuels, Rio Grande Valley Vipers
Quinndary Weatherspoon, South Bay Lakers


Ashton Hagans, Rip City Remix
Dink Pate, G League Ignite
Trevelin Queen, Osceola Magic
Babacar Sane, G League Ignite
Ethan Thompson, Mexico City Capitanes
Oscar Tshiebwe, Indiana Mad Ants
Alondes Williams, Sioux Falls Skyforce


Izan Almansa, G League Ignite
Emoni Bates, Cleveland Charge
JD Davison, Maine Celtics
Kevon Harris, Osceola Magic
Javan Johnson, Santa Cruz Warriors
London Johnson, G League Ignite
Skal Labissiere, Stockton Kings


Dominick Barlow, Austin Spurs
Darius Bazley, Delaware Blue Coats
Thierry Darlan, G League Ignite
Luka Garza, Iowa Wolves
Markquis Nowell, Raptors 905 (Replaced by Isaiah Wong)
Tyler Smith, G League Ignite
Cole Swider, Sioux Falls Skyforce
Isaiah Wong, Indiana Mad Ants


So Preston is not even in the G-League all-star game? Is there an eligibility thing on that? Can't imagine these guys all having better years.
Back to Top
  
M.D.W.S.T
General User



Member Since: 12/23/2021
Post Count: 1,896

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Jason Preston with the Memphis Hustle
   Posted: 2/14/2024 7:56:05 PM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
M.D.W.S.T wrote:
Andrew Ruck wrote:
Damn another helluva line. Do they have G League stat leaders? Awards?


Like the NBA, they have All-NBA G League teams each year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-NBA_G_League_Team

They also have individual awards.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NBA_G_League_awards...

They also have an All-Star Game "tournament" four teams: https://gleague.nba.com/up-next

This years rosters:

Matas Buzelis, G League Ignite
Collin Gillespie, Grand Rapids Gold
Ron Holland, G League Ignite
Keyontae Johnson, Oklahoma City Blue
Kenneth Lofton Jr., Delaware Blue Coats (Replaced by Kyle Mangas)
Kyle Mangas, Indiana Mad Ants
Jermaine Samuels, Rio Grande Valley Vipers
Quinndary Weatherspoon, South Bay Lakers


Ashton Hagans, Rip City Remix
Dink Pate, G League Ignite
Trevelin Queen, Osceola Magic
Babacar Sane, G League Ignite
Ethan Thompson, Mexico City Capitanes
Oscar Tshiebwe, Indiana Mad Ants
Alondes Williams, Sioux Falls Skyforce


Izan Almansa, G League Ignite
Emoni Bates, Cleveland Charge
JD Davison, Maine Celtics
Kevon Harris, Osceola Magic
Javan Johnson, Santa Cruz Warriors
London Johnson, G League Ignite
Skal Labissiere, Stockton Kings


Dominick Barlow, Austin Spurs
Darius Bazley, Delaware Blue Coats
Thierry Darlan, G League Ignite
Luka Garza, Iowa Wolves
Markquis Nowell, Raptors 905 (Replaced by Isaiah Wong)
Tyler Smith, G League Ignite
Cole Swider, Sioux Falls Skyforce
Isaiah Wong, Indiana Mad Ants


So Preston is not even in the G-League all-star game? Is there an eligibility thing on that? Can't imagine these guys all having better years.


So it looks like they take top 10 on a fan vote. (I didn't vote and don't vote for the NBA so I dont know if it's MLB style where they take the top 2 at each position.)

G League GM's take another 10.

Those 20 join the 8 young Ignite players.
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 9,613

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Jason Preston with the Memphis Hustle
   Posted: 2/16/2024 11:47:39 AM 
interesting, and thanks
Back to Top
  
100%Cat
General User



Member Since: 1/17/2013
Post Count: 2,503

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Jason Preston with the Memphis Hustle
   Posted: 2/16/2024 3:58:45 PM 
22pts/12reb/9 assists last night for SLC in the G League.

I did a few quick Google searches, and it looks like the average salary for the EuroLeague is in the $400,000-800,000 range. The only info I could find on the specifics of his contract for this year were through Memphis, and it listed his salary at $2,019,706. All I could find on his Utah deal was: "The Utah Jazz have signed guard Jason Preston to two-way contract. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not released." So it makes obvious sense, financially, to stay in the G League on the 2-way deal right now. EuroLeague (I believe) is the highest average salary of the European basketball options. Nothing to scoff at, for sure, but still much less money than he is making in the G League/NBA at the moment.

I still don't have much faith he's going to get a legit look at the NBA level. What else can the guy do? He's putting up impressive stat lines routinely in the G League and not getting an opportunity at the next level in now his 3rd stop.

Last Edited: 2/16/2024 4:01:06 PM by 100%Cat

Back to Top
  
ohio9704
General User

Member Since: 2/11/2006
Post Count: 1,518

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Jason Preston with the Memphis Hustle
   Posted: 3/6/2024 9:16:21 PM 
https://gleague.nba.com/game/tex-vs-slc-2022300376?view=g...

OK night for Jason.
Back to Top
  
LuckySparrow
General User



Member Since: 10/15/2012
Location: Illinois
Post Count: 1,722

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Jason Preston with the Memphis Hustle
   Posted: 3/7/2024 7:46:23 AM 
Wow, was he locked in. Amazing highlights.


What a day at the Convo.....Wow!

Back to Top
  
M.D.W.S.T
General User



Member Since: 12/23/2021
Post Count: 1,896

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Jason Preston with the Memphis Hustle
   Posted: 3/7/2024 4:14:16 PM 
100%Cat wrote:
22pts/12reb/9 assists last night for SLC in the G League.

I did a few quick Google searches, and it looks like the average salary for the EuroLeague is in the $400,000-800,000 range. The only info I could find on the specifics of his contract for this year were through Memphis, and it listed his salary at $2,019,706. All I could find on his Utah deal was: "The Utah Jazz have signed guard Jason Preston to two-way contract. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not released." So it makes obvious sense, financially, to stay in the G League on the 2-way deal right now. EuroLeague (I believe) is the highest average salary of the European basketball options. Nothing to scoff at, for sure, but still much less money than he is making in the G League/NBA at the moment.

I still don't have much faith he's going to get a legit look at the NBA level. What else can the guy do? He's putting up impressive stat lines routinely in the G League and not getting an opportunity at the next level in now his 3rd stop.


SLC just signed Isiaih Thomas now too. LOL

I hated this landing spot, for all the reasons we're seeing - but he's not in a position to turn down offers. He's now in an odd place where he's back with Utah, but not playing... so you can either not play with Utah... or have a triple double at SLC...? I guess NBA is better than no NBA, but he needs to be seen right now. You just have to hope he's doing enough to be seen. Which isn't always a guarantee down at that level either.

What more can he do? Just keep plugging until he gets a shot. Unfortunately, every year is a new crop of players fighting for their chance.

Would love to see him end up in SA or Dallas.
Back to Top
  
100%Cat
General User



Member Since: 1/17/2013
Post Count: 2,503

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Jason Preston with the Memphis Hustle
   Posted: 3/8/2024 7:58:58 AM 
Yet another triple double for Preston last night. 20/15/12 stat line.
Back to Top
  
Cats5
General User

Member Since: 6/14/2017
Post Count: 955

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Jason Preston with the Memphis Hustle
   Posted: 3/8/2024 10:58:15 AM 
100%Cat wrote:
Yet another triple double for Preston last night. 20/15/12 stat line.


Was able to catch the second half of this game. He's 10 steps ahead of everyone. I gotta think the IT signing is to back fill JP. He leads the G league in triple doubles with 6. I don't see how the Jazz keeps him on that team for much longer.
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  26 - 50  of 87 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3 | 4    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Basketball' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             







Copyright ©2024 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties