Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Basketball
Topic:  RE: Official Game 18 Thread: Eastern Michigan

Topic:  RE: Official Game 18 Thread: Eastern Michigan
Author
Message
Cats5
General User

Member Since: 6/14/2017
Post Count: 949

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 18 Thread: Eastern Michigan
   Posted: 1/20/2024 5:36:15 PM 
Hadaway is playing too good. Gonna transfer after the season😂
Back to Top
  
LuckySparrow
General User



Member Since: 10/15/2012
Location: Illinois
Post Count: 1,722

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 18 Thread: Eastern Michigan
   Posted: 1/20/2024 6:29:12 PM 
Nice to know we can slaughter a team. Hadaway was outstanding. Gabe's stat line was solid!

Would be nice to see Jaylin hit a 3.

Eastern looked incredibly bad, wow. Acuff's 30 pts didn't even matter.

Tough week ahead against Akron and Kent!


What a day at the Convo.....Wow!

Back to Top
  
bobcatsquared
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 5,039

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 18 Thread: Eastern Michigan
   Posted: 1/20/2024 7:48:37 PM 
Injuries has allowed Sheldon and Hadaway to get more minutes than last year and what was probably planned for them this year. And I'm starting to see two young players gaining more and more confidence in their abilities with each game.

There's not a better player on OUr roster than Hadaway at moving without the ball. I think our ballhandlers are starting to realize this and are finding him for buckets around the basket. And he was more aggressive taking him man off the dribble today.

I don't think I realized how athletic Sheldon is until the two home games this week, which included a block v. CMU and several rebounds today. He was credited with only 1 assist today but I can think of a couple of nice entry passes down low. The mystery remains his free throw shooting, hitting only 2 of 4 today, and still under 50% for his career.

Since I became a Bobcat fan over 40 years ago, I would be excited for OUr future with the four sophomores - Sheldon, Hadaway, AJB, EJ4. But I have to learn to temper my expectations in the current landscape of college sports.

Back to Top
  
M.D.W.S.T
General User



Member Since: 12/23/2021
Post Count: 1,780

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 18 Thread: Eastern Michigan
   Posted: 1/20/2024 8:54:33 PM 
I got home just in time to see EMU go on a 23-3 run to end it and still lose by 20. LOL.
Back to Top
  
WxM
General User

Member Since: 1/21/2020
Post Count: 166

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 18 Thread: Eastern Michigan
   Posted: 1/20/2024 9:09:14 PM 
LuckySparrow wrote:
Acuff's 30 pts didn't even matter.

Especially since about 10 of them came after we took a 35-point lead and they kept him in to stat pad while the reserves for both teams came in.
Back to Top
  
greencat
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 2,050

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 18 Thread: Eastern Michigan
   Posted: 1/21/2024 9:57:53 AM 
Cats5 wrote:
Hadaway is playing too good. Gonna transfer after the season😂


Unless it's an ACC or SEC school closer to where he's from, why would he need to transfer? No reason to make a lateral move to another mid-major.

(warning: with guys like Dalton Knecht tearing it up on the major-major level, those p5 mega-school will be looking mid-major players even more than before)
Back to Top
  
FearLeon
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 4,125

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 18 Thread: Eastern Michigan
   Posted: 1/21/2024 10:46:28 AM 
Heath getting stats for Acuff down 40 in the last 7 minutes was ridiculous.

Last Edited: 1/21/2024 11:33:19 AM by FearLeon


#BleedGreen #TrentIsGOAT

Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 1,201

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 18 Thread: Eastern Michigan
   Posted: 1/21/2024 11:34:47 AM 
GraffZ06 wrote:
FJC31 wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
FJC31 wrote:
M.D.W.S.T wrote:
greencat wrote:
Bobcat1996 wrote:
This game is a home game and the Bobcats will win Saturday. Away at Akron and Kent next week will be a huge challenge. Ohio needs to break the ice on a road victory sometime. Akron and Toledo are by far the top two teams in the conference, but a top four finish is possible with a few wins on the road.


We should have won at APSU. I did notice last night watching them pull out a close one in OT, the Witt kid looks much bigger than his 6-8/230 listed. The guy has to be more like 6-10/250. He had a good game - 18 points. This is the kicker: he turns out to be a transfer from a tiny D-2 HBCU in Missouri that I had never even heard of.

That makes it even more disappointing that we couldn't get one single big guy during last portal season. There is no way APSU has any more N I L money than any other random mid-major. He's not the next Shaq or Wilt but does provide depth and size.


Ziggy Reid looks pretty great for YSU also. :(

They really pushed all their chips into the middle of the table on IJ, didn't they?

The leading rebounder in D2 right now is out of JUCO. Averaged 9/9 last season. Is averaging 12/14 this season. 6'9" 215.

There is a sophomore from Fa. Southern average 17 points 12 rebounds. 6'8". 210.

We've seen the talent drop off, and I'm not saying we need to field an entire team of these guys - but I'll say it and say it again - give me a tall skinny kid who is running his ass off in D2 over a 6"8" 260 pound knucklehead who can't get his grades together in two years.

*edit*
Also, JR Max Amadasun - Augusta - 6'10" 250 transfer from St Bonny - Averaging 14/12


We keep talking about this in multiple threads, so forgive my redundancy. Did they push all the chips in IJ, not have enough $, or is it just lack of scouting and unfamiliarity of the lower levels?

As Bobcat1996 alluded to, D2 players arenít likely breaking the NIL bank. Great finds, btw. Maybe the staff will see this.


Also think there are just issues identifying talent.


This and roster building strategy around a brand of basketball we want to deploy. I was game for Shereef and Ike additions, under the impression we were going to run and play small ball. We saw that once against Troy.

It now just looks like our portal approach is spray and pray to see which P6 transfers will come to Ohio. Iím not picking on Shereef, but did we really need a 6í1 guard who doesnít facilitate and canít hit the 3? We didnít address any weaknesses with him. This is where I rely on the staff to know if this type of addition makes sense or not.



Reef makes a lot more sense when the plan was for him to be a backup PG to Hunter. As a starter playing next to him, not so much. Too small and too redundant. Sadly between the Miles AJB amd EJ4 injuries and Jaylins falloff we've had to rely on Reef more than anticipated.

I stand by Boals goal was -

Starting 5
PG - Hunter
SG - AJB
SF - EJ4
PF - Clayton
C - Transfer

Backup
PG - Shereef
SG - Miles
SF - Hadaway/Ike
PF - IJ/Ike
C - Wiz


Adding a PG made sense, but Reef really isnít one. Heís a better Devon Baker. So again, we didnít really address a weakness in Reef as we still need a PG for next season.
Back to Top
  
FearLeon
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 4,125

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 18 Thread: Eastern Michigan
   Posted: 1/21/2024 11:37:29 AM 
FJC31 wrote:
GraffZ06 wrote:
FJC31 wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
FJC31 wrote:
M.D.W.S.T wrote:
greencat wrote:
Bobcat1996 wrote:
This game is a home game and the Bobcats will win Saturday. Away at Akron and Kent next week will be a huge challenge. Ohio needs to break the ice on a road victory sometime. Akron and Toledo are by far the top two teams in the conference, but a top four finish is possible with a few wins on the road.


We should have won at APSU. I did notice last night watching them pull out a close one in OT, the Witt kid looks much bigger than his 6-8/230 listed. The guy has to be more like 6-10/250. He had a good game - 18 points. This is the kicker: he turns out to be a transfer from a tiny D-2 HBCU in Missouri that I had never even heard of.

That makes it even more disappointing that we couldn't get one single big guy during last portal season. There is no way APSU has any more N I L money than any other random mid-major. He's not the next Shaq or Wilt but does provide depth and size.


Ziggy Reid looks pretty great for YSU also. :(

They really pushed all their chips into the middle of the table on IJ, didn't they?

The leading rebounder in D2 right now is out of JUCO. Averaged 9/9 last season. Is averaging 12/14 this season. 6'9" 215.

There is a sophomore from Fa. Southern average 17 points 12 rebounds. 6'8". 210.

We've seen the talent drop off, and I'm not saying we need to field an entire team of these guys - but I'll say it and say it again - give me a tall skinny kid who is running his ass off in D2 over a 6"8" 260 pound knucklehead who can't get his grades together in two years.

*edit*
Also, JR Max Amadasun - Augusta - 6'10" 250 transfer from St Bonny - Averaging 14/12


We keep talking about this in multiple threads, so forgive my redundancy. Did they push all the chips in IJ, not have enough $, or is it just lack of scouting and unfamiliarity of the lower levels?

As Bobcat1996 alluded to, D2 players arenít likely breaking the NIL bank. Great finds, btw. Maybe the staff will see this.


Also think there are just issues identifying talent.


This and roster building strategy around a brand of basketball we want to deploy. I was game for Shereef and Ike additions, under the impression we were going to run and play small ball. We saw that once against Troy.

It now just looks like our portal approach is spray and pray to see which P6 transfers will come to Ohio. Iím not picking on Shereef, but did we really need a 6í1 guard who doesnít facilitate and canít hit the 3? We didnít address any weaknesses with him. This is where I rely on the staff to know if this type of addition makes sense or not.



Reef makes a lot more sense when the plan was for him to be a backup PG to Hunter. As a starter playing next to him, not so much. Too small and too redundant. Sadly between the Miles AJB amd EJ4 injuries and Jaylins falloff we've had to rely on Reef more than anticipated.

I stand by Boals goal was -

Starting 5
PG - Hunter
SG - AJB
SF - EJ4
PF - Clayton
C - Transfer

Backup
PG - Shereef
SG - Miles
SF - Hadaway/Ike
PF - IJ/Ike
C - Wiz


Adding a PG made sense, but Reef really isnít one. Heís a better Devon Baker. So again, we didnít really address a weakness in Reef as we still need a PG for next season.


Nailed it with Reef=Baker

Our starting point guard for next season is not on the current roster. Then again, I said the same thing this time last year about our center position.

Last Edited: 1/21/2024 11:39:01 AM by FearLeon


#BleedGreen #TrentIsGOAT

Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 1,201

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 18 Thread: Eastern Michigan
   Posted: 1/21/2024 11:56:25 AM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
FJC31 wrote:


This and roster building strategy around a brand of basketball we want to deploy. I was game for Shereef and Ike additions, under the impression we were going to run and play small ball. We saw that once against Troy.

It now just looks like our portal approach is spray and pray to see which P6 transfers will come to Ohio. Iím not picking on Shereef, but did we really need a 6í1 guard who doesnít facilitate and canít hit the 3? We didnít address any weaknesses with him. This is where I rely on the staff to know if this type of addition makes sense or not.


But then the rest of the roster is small-ish guards who need the ball in their hands like Shareef, Ajay, Hunter, and Miles Brown. And bigs like Wiz and IJ who don't seem to fit the vision.


Iím keen to removing Sheldon from this group because heís showing more athleticism than I think a lot of us thought he had. He also looks like the only real threat from 3PT range on our roster. Otherwise, I agree the others strengths donít offset weaknesses to the current roster build.
Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 7,023

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 18 Thread: Eastern Michigan
   Posted: 1/21/2024 11:56:40 AM 
greencat wrote:
M.D.W.S.T wrote:
JimLurker34 wrote:
Do you think YSU may have more NIL money than Ohio? All these schools in larger cities have an inherent advantage with more corporate money possibilities. That's at least theoretically the case. I wonder how it's actually playing out.


Do I think? I doubt it, but who knows. Would be pretty sad, if so.

They had a nice run last season, so that helps potentially, but there really is not a lot of extra cash laying around Youngstown. Could be some companies that are donating sums of cash to an NIL collective, but

Median household income (in 2022 dollars), 2018-2022;
Youngstown: $34,295
Athens: $48,750
Columbus: $62,994

I would have to think OU has a more financially established, engaged alumni base, but maybe that's just anecdotal.


Cbus average income is such because of upscale neighborhoods like Jerome, Powell, Dublin, etc. But the cost of living in those neighborhoods (Jerome in particular) is VERY steep I've heard.



Quality of the school district has a lot to do with it. That said, the average college donor isn't giving much NIL money. They give to scholarships and programs that they have an affinity for.

Last Edited: 1/21/2024 4:08:59 PM by Alan Swank

Back to Top
  
bobcat 2000
General User

Member Since: 1/21/2006
Post Count: 182

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 18 Thread: Eastern Michigan
   Posted: 1/21/2024 3:45:05 PM 
the team did a great job winning the game. but the concern i see is how it that they had an 82-44 lead with seven minutes left and the final score wound up being 85- 67? it appears that for the last seven minutes the team totally broke down. the final score should have been around 100- 56. the team needs to start playing 40 solid minutes every game
Back to Top
  
FearLeon
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 4,125

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 18 Thread: Eastern Michigan
   Posted: 1/21/2024 4:11:50 PM 
bobcat 2000 wrote:
the team did a great job winning the game. but the concern i see is how it that they had an 82-44 lead with seven minutes left and the final score wound up being 85- 67? it appears that for the last seven minutes the team totally broke down. the final score should have been around 100- 56. the team needs to start playing 40 solid minutes every game


UmmmmÖ.did you watch the game? The starters were pulled at that point and we finished the last seven minutes with two walk-on players and The Whiz on the court. Not exactly a recipe for buckets.

Last Edited: 1/21/2024 4:12:39 PM by FearLeon


#BleedGreen #TrentIsGOAT

Back to Top
  
Ted Thompson
Administrator



Member Since: 11/11/2004
Location: MAC Play
Post Count: 7,398

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 18 Thread: Eastern Michigan
   Posted: 1/21/2024 4:19:45 PM 

 


Follow Ohio Football recruiting on the BobcatAttack.com football recruiting database.

Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 9,152

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 18 Thread: Eastern Michigan
   Posted: 1/21/2024 5:35:48 PM 
FearLeon wrote:
bobcat 2000 wrote:
the team did a great job winning the game. but the concern i see is how it that they had an 82-44 lead with seven minutes left and the final score wound up being 85- 67? it appears that for the last seven minutes the team totally broke down. the final score should have been around 100- 56. the team needs to start playing 40 solid minutes every game


UmmmmÖ.did you watch the game? The starters were pulled at that point and we finished the last seven minutes with two walk-on players and The Whiz on the court. Not exactly a recipe for buckets.


Exactly. This game wasn't as close as the final score indicated. EMU had most of its starters in until under a minute to go. I couldn't understand why they'd risk the injuries when there wasn't any real hope of winning.


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
Casper71
General User

Member Since: 12/1/2006
Post Count: 2,895

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 18 Thread: Eastern Michigan
   Posted: 1/21/2024 7:44:25 PM 
Gotta agree with BC2. Sheldon and Haddaway with their playing time have improved tremendously. They both add a lot offensively. The negative is,in my opinion, their defense needs to improve a whole lot.

Last Edited: 1/21/2024 7:46:19 PM by Casper71

Back to Top
  
M.D.W.S.T
General User



Member Since: 12/23/2021
Post Count: 1,780

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 18 Thread: Eastern Michigan
   Posted: 1/22/2024 9:02:23 AM 
Casper71 wrote:
Gotta agree with BC2. Sheldon and Haddaway with their playing time have improved tremendously. They both add a lot offensively. The negative is,in my opinion, their defense needs to improve a whole lot.


This thread has a lot of quality thoughts. It's unfortunate we're gonna lose them down a random EMU thread, but I think FJC said it best.

Recruiting strategy in the portal era: Spray and Pray.

Could not agree more. That's why I don't even blame Boals. It's just... what a weird year man.

We didn't add much defensively, we didn't add much height.

What we did add were some of the best guards - on paper - that have ever been in an Ohio uniform. Didn't consider fit, because Boals couldn't turn down a Top 100 player like Ike Cornish. Can't turn down a Shareef Mitchell. I still believe AJB will be MAC PoY. Elmore is as tough as anyone under 6'3". At that point we had Estis (legacy), Corna (Parents are both OU alums), Sheldon.

We've got an elite HS line-up of SG's. No true PG to get them set up. No C to rebound it. No 3 and D guy.

Losing the kid to WMU really hurt us. Losing IJ really set us back.

Next season...? No more spray, just pray it comes together with Evans. And/or another portal big. Gonna have to shake it up, because we can't have this many hopeful PG/SG's on one team.

I don't think Boals is even close to a hot seat, but I bet it's starting to feal warmer than usual.

Last Edited: 1/22/2024 9:03:43 AM by M.D.W.S.T

Back to Top
  
Andrew Ruck
General User



Member Since: 12/22/2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 4,696

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 18 Thread: Eastern Michigan
   Posted: 1/22/2024 10:29:23 AM 
That was an absolute ass kicking. We had them almost doubled up before we took our foot off the gas. Great ball movement and of course actually hitting our shots. Hopefully it gets the guys some confidence. But I've been around long enough to not fall in the trap of getting overly excited about 2 home games against weaker teams.

Best game for the Mitchell/Hunter duo. Both had some excellent drives to the bucket and pop up jumpers as well as several good assists. Getting more and more convinced Sheldon & Hadaway can be all-MAC level performers. Adding back AJB & EJ4 with Clayton makes me feel great about a starting 5 next fall.

I will never be able to accept the fall off of student support. I know it is a nationwide epidemic but I will still complain about it. How do 100 football players show up for the game as required to be recognized during the 1st half, and not a damn one of them sticks around? You're literally already in the building. These are fellow student athletes, who surely understand and appreciate how it feels to be supported by your classmates. It is free for the best seats in the house. It absolutely infuriates me. My 15 year old was completely dumbfounded as he watched them just walk right off the court and out the door. I sure hope none of them ever complain about the crowd size of one of their football games.

Beyond that, the students had maybe 10 guys standing and engaged and by the 2nd half there couldn't have been more than 100 total students there. Hope their afternoon of Netflix creates lasting memories for decades.


Andrew Ruck
B.B.A. 2003

Back to Top
  
bobcatsquared
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 5,039

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 18 Thread: Eastern Michigan
   Posted: 1/22/2024 10:37:47 AM 
Andrew Ruck wrote:
My 15 year old was completely dumbfounded as he watched them just walk right off the court and out the door.


I'm of the same belief concerning the football players.

However, my 17-year-old son was not dumbfounded only because I told him that the 100 or so football players, who filled in 2 sections in the first half, would leave the Convo en masse after being recognized. Unfortunate, but not surprising because they have done the same in previous years.

When my son asked me why, the only response I could come up with was they all needed to attend a voluntary study table. Not sure if he believed me.

Last Edited: 1/22/2024 10:40:44 AM by bobcatsquared

Back to Top
  
M.D.W.S.T
General User



Member Since: 12/23/2021
Post Count: 1,780

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 18 Thread: Eastern Michigan
   Posted: 1/22/2024 11:18:56 AM 
Andrew Ruck wrote:
How do 100 football players show up for the game as required to be recognized during the 1st half, and not a damn one of them sticks around? You're literally already in the building. These are fellow student athletes, who surely understand and appreciate how it feels to be supported by your classmates. It is free for the best seats in the house. It absolutely infuriates me. My 15 year old was completely dumbfounded as he watched them just walk right off the court and out the door. I sure hope none of them ever complain about the crowd size of one of their football games.



Have only heard it secondhand, but I agree - lack of support from YOUR OWN GUYS... that's tough. Especially, when you're literally already in the building. You had to LEAVE a place you already were - rather than support your guys in a fun game that was an absolute beating.

Back in my day, which was still fairly recently, teams supported each other. Even womens games had a nice crew of athletes.

Don't want to police their free time, but I hope Albin said something. It's a respect thing.

Last Edited: 1/22/2024 11:19:40 AM by M.D.W.S.T

Back to Top
  
FearLeon
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 4,125

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 18 Thread: Eastern Michigan
   Posted: 1/22/2024 11:26:14 AM 
Andrew Ruck wrote:
Getting more and more convinced Sheldon & Hadaway can be all-MAC level performers. Adding back AJB & EJ4 with Clayton makes me feel great about a starting 5 next fall.



I'm just as excited as anyone about the development of Sheldon and Captain Chaos, but I think we need to pump the brakes on Sheldon being a future All-MAC player. I would just be happy if he averages 8-10 PPG moving forward and has a Chad Estis type career.



Last Edited: 1/22/2024 11:32:08 AM by FearLeon


#BleedGreen #TrentIsGOAT

Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 1,201

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 18 Thread: Eastern Michigan
   Posted: 1/22/2024 11:52:38 AM 
M.D.W.S.T wrote:
Casper71 wrote:
Gotta agree with BC2. Sheldon and Haddaway with their playing time have improved tremendously. They both add a lot offensively. The negative is,in my opinion, their defense needs to improve a whole lot.


Next season...? No more spray, just pray it comes together with Evans. And/or another portal big. Gonna have to shake it up, because we can't have this many hopeful PG/SG's on one team.

I don't think Boals is even close to a hot seat, but I bet it's starting to feal warmer than usual.


In theory, it should and could be easier to add what we need this portal season. Baring any transfers, our "core four" going into next season are AJC, Hadaway, AJB, and EJ4. It's safe to say Sheldon will play a ton along with Evans -- who might be an unknown but he's you know, 6'10.

I'm leaving Reef out as a starter because I'm still not convinced he won't dip once Jaylin graduates and he isn't a true PG even if he does stick around. Guaranteeing him a starting spot makes me think we'll see more of the same of whatever offense we're trying to run this season. If he's here, he should be 6th man.

Back to my original point -- we need to find complimentary players that fit the mold of rebounding, defense, facilitation, and 3PT shooting. Since we have 4 starters locked, it's unlikely we'll be a hotbed for P6 transfers when you factor in the lack of guaranteed playing time and limited financial means.

Again, just a theory -- but I'd like to think we can more effectively pluck talent looking to move up and contribute at the next level as role players based on our needs, instead of P6 players (getting attention from everyone) looking for starter minutes since we won't be able to offer that.

Last Edited: 1/22/2024 12:00:28 PM by FJC31

Back to Top
  
M.D.W.S.T
General User



Member Since: 12/23/2021
Post Count: 1,780

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 18 Thread: Eastern Michigan
   Posted: 1/22/2024 12:30:03 PM 
FJC31 wrote:
M.D.W.S.T wrote:
Casper71 wrote:
Gotta agree with BC2. Sheldon and Haddaway with their playing time have improved tremendously. They both add a lot offensively. The negative is,in my opinion, their defense needs to improve a whole lot.


Next season...? No more spray, just pray it comes together with Evans. And/or another portal big. Gonna have to shake it up, because we can't have this many hopeful PG/SG's on one team.

I don't think Boals is even close to a hot seat, but I bet it's starting to feal warmer than usual.


In theory, it should and could be easier to add what we need this portal season. Baring any transfers, our "core four" going into next season are AJC, Hadaway, AJB, and EJ4. It's safe to say Sheldon will play a ton along with Evans -- who might be an unknown but he's you know, 6'10.

I'm leaving Reef out as a starter because I'm still not convinced he won't dip once Jaylin graduates and he isn't a true PG even if he does stick around. Guaranteeing him a starting spot makes me think we'll see more of the same of whatever offense we're trying to run this season. If he's here, he should be 6th man.

Back to my original point -- we need to find complimentary players that fit the mold of rebounding, defense, facilitation, and 3PT shooting. Since we have 4 starters locked, it's unlikely we'll be a hotbed for P6 transfers when you factor in the lack of guaranteed playing time and limited financial means.

Again, just a theory -- but I'd like to think we can more effectively pluck talent looking to move up and contribute at the next level as role players based on our needs, instead of P6 players (getting attention from everyone) looking for starter minutes since we won't be able to offer that.


Again, just a theory -- but I'd like to think we can more effectively pluck talent looking to move up and contribute at the next level as role players based on our needs, instead of P6 players (getting attention from everyone) looking for starter minutes since we won't be able to offer that.

Same page. Same page. Gonna print this off and send it to the athletic department.
Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 3,284

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 18 Thread: Eastern Michigan
   Posted: 1/22/2024 2:29:09 PM 
FearLeon wrote:

I'm just as excited as anyone about the development of Sheldon and Captain Chaos, but I think we need to pump the brakes on Sheldon being a future All-MAC player. I would just be happy if he averages 8-10 PPG moving forward and has a Chad Estis type career.


Yeah, I'm also very glad he can see. And like his game. But he needs to be able to guard somebody to be a starter, let alone all MAC. Sheldon, to me, is a rich man's Tommy Schmock. I think of him as what Bill Simmons calls a heat check guy; a shooter/scorer off the bench who can get you a lot of points quick. But I'm not sure I've seen him well-rounded enough to be an all conference guy.



Back to Top
  
JimLurker34
General User

Member Since: 12/7/2023
Location: McArthur, OH
Post Count: 137

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 18 Thread: Eastern Michigan
   Posted: 1/22/2024 2:45:01 PM 
Andrew Ruck wrote:
. . .I will never be able to accept the fall off of student support. I know it is a nationwide epidemic but I will still complain about it. How do 100 football players show up for the game as required to be recognized during the 1st half, and not a damn one of them sticks around? You're literally already in the building. These are fellow student athletes, who surely understand and appreciate how it feels to be supported by your classmates. It is free for the best seats in the house. It absolutely infuriates me. My 15 year old was completely dumbfounded as he watched them just walk right off the court and out the door. I sure hope none of them ever complain about the crowd size of one of their football games.


Very good point, but to be fair I did see about five or six of them filter back and take a seat for the second half. I would think Tim would have told them they should stay for the second half. Maybe he just thinks an exodus at halftime is the normal thing given his experience in Peden.

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  26 - 50  of 64 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Basketball' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             







Copyright ©2024 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties