Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Basketball
Topic:  Coaching Carousel 2024

Topic:  Coaching Carousel 2024
Author
Message
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 9,152

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  Coaching Carousel 2024
   Posted: 1/22/2024 3:34:06 PM 
It's starting early. Tony Stubblefield gone from DePaul. https://hoopdirt.com/depaul-fires-head-basketball-coach-t... /


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 1,201

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coaching Carousel 2024
   Posted: 1/22/2024 3:37:19 PM 
Pataskala wrote:
It's starting early. Tony Stubblefield gone from DePaul. https://hoopdirt.com/depaul-fires-head-basketball-coach-t... /


This was much needed. I mentioned this in another thread, but I know the guy running the DePaul collective and itís been a struggle. Context in the link below:

https://x.com/john_fanta/status/1749512689582531031?s=46&...

This program desperately needs a splash hire. Heíll probably be able to do better come seasonís end but Will Wade is who DePaul should be after.

Last Edited: 1/22/2024 3:37:47 PM by FJC31

Back to Top
  
OU_Country
General User



Member Since: 12/6/2005
Location: On the road between Athens and Madison County
Post Count: 8,320

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coaching Carousel 2024
   Posted: 1/23/2024 8:44:13 PM 
Depaul needs to go really big to get their program out of the gutter. I've read Will Wade, and it's not a terrible idea.
Back to Top
  
FearLeon
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 4,125

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coaching Carousel 2024
   Posted: 1/23/2024 9:49:27 PM 
Hopefully Groce is bye-bye. We need him to leave Akron.


#BleedGreen #TrentIsGOAT

Back to Top
  
greencat
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 2,050

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coaching Carousel 2024
   Posted: 1/23/2024 10:12:31 PM 
DePaul is in a conference with Marquette, UConn, Villanova, etc.

Coaching candidates need to recognize.
Back to Top
  
longtiimelurker
General User

Member Since: 2/2/2017
Post Count: 587

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coaching Carousel 2024
   Posted: 1/24/2024 7:58:40 AM 
FearLeon wrote:
Hopefully Groce is bye-bye. We need him to leave Akron.


The ultimate price of leaving Ohio for greener pastures is living a lifetime in Akron.
Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 1,201

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coaching Carousel 2024
   Posted: 1/24/2024 8:39:38 AM 
OU_Country wrote:
Depaul needs to go really big to get their program out of the gutter. I've read Will Wade, and it's not a terrible idea.


There are some solid names being thrown out locally. It sounds like the school is ready to put their money where their mouth is. Starting tonight with an alumni fundraiser (guessing thatís why Stubblefield was canned Monday).

Dusty May, Wade, Bryce Drew, Bobby Hurley (apparently he might be on his way out), Brian Wardle (Bradley). I know Drew and Hurley had interest in the job back in 2015.

Last Edited: 1/24/2024 8:40:08 AM by FJC31

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 9,471

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coaching Carousel 2024
   Posted: 1/24/2024 4:37:03 PM 
FearLeon wrote:
Hopefully Groce is bye-bye. We need him to leave Akron.


Yeah because they sucked before him.
Back to Top
  
Bobcat1996
General User

Member Since: 1/2/2017
Post Count: 794

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coaching Carousel 2024
   Posted: 1/24/2024 6:36:22 PM 
Akron will find another good coach if the current one leaves. The Zips have been the class of the league for years!
Back to Top
  
bobcatsquared
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 5,039

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coaching Carousel 2024
   Posted: 1/24/2024 7:43:41 PM 
FearLeon wrote:
Hopefully Groce is bye-bye. We need him to leave Akron.


I'll never understand why anyone on BA would want a winning MAC coach (or player), whether in football or basketball, to leave his school. While I rooted against Groce and Akron last night, I'll always root for him or any other MAC team or player or coach when playing a non-conference opponent.

This league, a shell of what it used to be, needs more coaches like Groce. Not fewer.
Back to Top
  
greencat
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 2,050

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coaching Carousel 2024
   Posted: 1/25/2024 7:16:50 AM 
FJC31 wrote:
OU_Country wrote:
Depaul needs to go really big to get their program out of the gutter. I've read Will Wade, and it's not a terrible idea.


There are some solid names being thrown out locally. It sounds like the school is ready to put their money where their mouth is. Starting tonight with an alumni fundraiser (guessing thatís why Stubblefield was canned Monday).

Dusty May, Wade, Bryce Drew, Bobby Hurley (apparently he might be on his way out), Brian Wardle (Bradley). I know Drew and Hurley had interest in the job back in 2015.


Bryce Drew can only win games at mid-majors where he has more talent than the opposition. (and in the case of "Grand Canyon" - can get anybody in to that for-profit publicly traded business with a 99% acceptance rate and lowest of the lowest academic rating per U.S. News & World Report)

He might as well enjoy his cushy gig in beautiful Arizona. Most people would stay.
Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 1,201

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coaching Carousel 2024
   Posted: 1/25/2024 8:44:04 AM 
greencat wrote:
FJC31 wrote:
OU_Country wrote:
Depaul needs to go really big to get their program out of the gutter. I've read Will Wade, and it's not a terrible idea.


There are some solid names being thrown out locally. It sounds like the school is ready to put their money where their mouth is. Starting tonight with an alumni fundraiser (guessing thatís why Stubblefield was canned Monday).

Dusty May, Wade, Bryce Drew, Bobby Hurley (apparently he might be on his way out), Brian Wardle (Bradley). I know Drew and Hurley had interest in the job back in 2015.


Bryce Drew can only win games at mid-majors where he has more talent than the opposition. (and in the case of "Grand Canyon" - can get anybody in to that for-profit publicly traded business with a 99% acceptance rate and lowest of the lowest academic rating per U.S. News & World Report)

He might as well enjoy his cushy gig in beautiful Arizona. Most people would stay.


I think Drew is an interesting bounce back candidate. He flopped big time at Vandy with that 0-18 SEC record his last season. However, he (or anyone hired) just needs to get DePaul to the tournament consistently. Might be easier to do this time around with the financial means to bring in talent.
Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 3,284

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coaching Carousel 2024
   Posted: 1/25/2024 9:39:44 AM 
greencat wrote:

Bryce Drew can only win games at mid-majors where he has more talent than the opposition. (and in the case of "Grand Canyon" - can get anybody in to that for-profit publicly traded business with a 99% acceptance rate and lowest of the lowest academic rating per U.S. News & World Report)

He might as well enjoy his cushy gig in beautiful Arizona. Most people would stay.


When's the last time you heard of a basketball recruit not getting accepted to a school?
Back to Top
  
SBH
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,749

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coaching Carousel 2024
   Posted: 1/25/2024 10:32:51 AM 
I doubt coaches offer a kid whom they know can't get accepted.
Back to Top
  
FearLeon
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 4,125

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coaching Carousel 2024
   Posted: 1/25/2024 11:00:40 AM 
bobcatsquared wrote:
FearLeon wrote:
Hopefully Groce is bye-bye. We need him to leave Akron.


I'll never understand why anyone on BA would want a winning MAC coach (or player), whether in football or basketball, to leave his school. While I rooted against Groce and Akron last night, I'll always root for him or any other MAC team or player or coach when playing a non-conference opponent.

This league, a shell of what it used to be, needs more coaches like Groce. Not fewer.


There is a lot of sarcasm in my post. Clearly, I stated from day one when he was hired that Groce was going to be a gigantic problem for Ohio at Akron and it's proven to be right. The die-hard Ohio fan in me says get him out of here and see if they can maintain the success they've had for quite some time now. But yes...when they make the NCAA Tournament, I'll be rooting for them to win every single game they play in. My point is that if Groce is going to get back into a power 6 conference, you strike while the iron is hot. And with Freeman leaving, now is a good as time as ever for Groce to give it another shot with the big boys.


#BleedGreen #TrentIsGOAT

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 3,284

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coaching Carousel 2024
   Posted: 1/25/2024 11:06:41 AM 
If the current trajectory continues and we end up needing a new coach in the next couple of years, Groce would be my first call. Guarantee him he's the highest paid coach in the MAC and basically give him a lifetime deal to come back to Ohio.
Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Post Count: 6,913

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coaching Carousel 2024
   Posted: 1/25/2024 11:31:05 AM 
Tired: Stealing Bubba Walther from Akron

Wired: Stealing John Groce from Akron
Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 1,201

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coaching Carousel 2024
   Posted: 1/25/2024 11:39:16 AM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
If the current trajectory continues and we end up needing a new coach in the next couple of years, Groce would be my first call. Guarantee him he's the highest paid coach in the MAC and basically give him a lifetime deal to come back to Ohio.


Or Dustin Ford. I know heís yet to receive any consideration (to my knowledge) for a HC gig since; but Iíve always wondered what would have happened had Schauss just promoted him when players wanted it.
Back to Top
  
greencat
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 2,050

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coaching Carousel 2024
   Posted: 1/25/2024 12:46:49 PM 
FJC31 wrote:
greencat wrote:
FJC31 wrote:
OU_Country wrote:
Depaul needs to go really big to get their program out of the gutter. I've read Will Wade, and it's not a terrible idea.


There are some solid names being thrown out locally. It sounds like the school is ready to put their money where their mouth is. Starting tonight with an alumni fundraiser (guessing thatís why Stubblefield was canned Monday).

Dusty May, Wade, Bryce Drew, Bobby Hurley (apparently he might be on his way out), Brian Wardle (Bradley). I know Drew and Hurley had interest in the job back in 2015.


Bryce Drew can only win games at mid-majors where he has more talent than the opposition. (and in the case of "Grand Canyon" - can get anybody in to that for-profit publicly traded business with a 99% acceptance rate and lowest of the lowest academic rating per U.S. News & World Report)

He might as well enjoy his cushy gig in beautiful Arizona. Most people would stay.


I think Drew is an interesting bounce back candidate. He flopped big time at Vandy with that 0-18 SEC record his last season. However, he (or anyone hired) just needs to get DePaul to the tournament consistently. Might be easier to do this time around with the financial means to bring in talent.


DePaul has had three 20 wins season this century. But they have had eight seasons finish with single digit wins. They need somebody much better than Bryce Drew to turn that ship around. Their Ray & Joey Meyer glory days were between 1975 and 1992. Today's high school prospects weren't born yet.
Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 1,201

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coaching Carousel 2024
   Posted: 1/25/2024 1:14:38 PM 
greencat wrote:
FJC31 wrote:
greencat wrote:
FJC31 wrote:
OU_Country wrote:
Depaul needs to go really big to get their program out of the gutter. I've read Will Wade, and it's not a terrible idea.


There are some solid names being thrown out locally. It sounds like the school is ready to put their money where their mouth is. Starting tonight with an alumni fundraiser (guessing thatís why Stubblefield was canned Monday).

Dusty May, Wade, Bryce Drew, Bobby Hurley (apparently he might be on his way out), Brian Wardle (Bradley). I know Drew and Hurley had interest in the job back in 2015.


Bryce Drew can only win games at mid-majors where he has more talent than the opposition. (and in the case of "Grand Canyon" - can get anybody in to that for-profit publicly traded business with a 99% acceptance rate and lowest of the lowest academic rating per U.S. News & World Report)

He might as well enjoy his cushy gig in beautiful Arizona. Most people would stay.


I think Drew is an interesting bounce back candidate. He flopped big time at Vandy with that 0-18 SEC record his last season. However, he (or anyone hired) just needs to get DePaul to the tournament consistently. Might be easier to do this time around with the financial means to bring in talent.


DePaul has had three 20 wins season this century. But they have had eight seasons finish with single digit wins. They need somebody much better than Bryce Drew to turn that ship around. Their Ray & Joey Meyer glory days were between 1975 and 1992. Today's high school prospects weren't born yet.


Yea, I mean, today's high school prospects weren't born in 2002. Let alone 1992. It's a tough gig and I'll be pleasantly surprised if DePaul lands it top choice. Might have to go down the list a little, similar to Illinois.

Need someone to bring back an alumni fan base and also create a new one with current students.
Back to Top
  
JimLurker34
General User

Member Since: 12/7/2023
Location: McArthur, OH
Post Count: 137

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Coaching Carousel 2024
   Posted: 1/25/2024 3:30:37 PM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
If the current trajectory continues and we end up needing a new coach in the next couple of years, Groce would be my first call. Guarantee him he's the highest paid coach in the MAC and basically give him a lifetime deal to come back to Ohio.


I'd make a donation to that cause. This scenario has been in the back of my mind ever since Groce landed in Akron. It's quite improbable but not impossible. It kind of depends if he's a Solich type who has seen the big lights but decides he prefers a place like Ohio. Or, maybe his goal is to get back to the P6 with a salary to match. I have no idea his priorities. Also, of course, it depends on how Jeff does over the next couple of years. But, I do like your thinking here!
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 21  of 21 Posts
Jump to Page:  1
View Other 'Ohio Basketball' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             







Copyright ©2024 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties