Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Basketball
Topic:  RE: Official Game 23 Thread: Ball St.

Topic:  RE: Official Game 23 Thread: Ball St.
Author
Message
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 9,471

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 23 Thread: Ball St.
   Posted: 2/6/2024 10:37:04 PM 
RSBobcat wrote:
FearLeon wrote:
RSBobcat wrote:
Cellis033 wrote:
FearLeon wrote:
Itís clear that Elmore is nowhere close to 100%. Heís timid and canít explode to the basket. Iím just wondering if itís better to sit him for a bit and see if he can get stronger come March. Heís a liability on the offensive end right now. I definitely wouldnít take him to Arkansas State. Keep him home all week and work on the knee with staff.

And if Reef is banged upÖleave him at home as well for Arkansas State.


Yeah Elmore hasn't really been himself last few games especially against Fiami - aggressiveness / bull ability has gone down alittle bit, I have a feeling he's still a bit sore. Reef: hope he isn't banged up too bad, he's put together some great minutes for us. If he can't play, we can always plug Miles in too.

Btw - lights out defense when Reef, Jaylin and Miles are on the floor.


Yes they are banged up - but you do not have them excluded from being with the team on the trip even if they are not planned to play. Why would you mess with "team" chemistry????



I think we can survive team chemistry for a meaningless game at Arkansas State. Why put Elmoreís banged up knee on planes and bus rides for no reason?

You could tell from Boals post-game that he is not looking forward to this one at all Saturday.


Are there snakes on those planes or razorbacks on the bus?? You think he would want to be excluded from the "team" experience (or the team would want him excluded) after actually playing last couple games through the recovery? I think the dude has plenty toughness to endure a plane and/or bus ride while continuing recovery......



+1, and add the fact that an OHIO Athlete with a free weekend, would inevitably, stay off their feet and out of the bars or parties on a rare weekend night in Athens at his favorite watering hole!
Back to Top
  
MonroeClassmate
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2010
Post Count: 2,003

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 23 Thread: Ball St.
   Posted: 2/6/2024 11:04:12 PM 
Why does Ike not get a few more minutes each game?

Listening on the radio when Ike was on the bench it seemed that BSU had little problem getting to reasonable two point shots and snagged offensive rebounds when they missed. Wouldn't a little bit of size help when Clayton is playing softer due to foul situation?

I bet none of you would have guessed that Gabe would be on the floor during an OT game!
Back to Top
  
Cellis033
General User



Member Since: 11/11/2021
Location: Powell, OH
Post Count: 1,565

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 23 Thread: Ball St.
   Posted: 2/6/2024 11:08:43 PM 
MonroeClassmate wrote:
Why does Ike not get a few more minutes each game?

Listening on the radio when Ike was on the bench it seemed that BSU had little problem getting to reasonable two point shots and snagged offensive rebounds when they missed. Wouldn't a little bit of size help when Clayton is playing softer due to foul situation?

I bet none of you would have guessed that Gabe would be on the floor during an OT game!


That's a question I've been asking for the last few games. Seems like he's just coming out of his shell but he doesn't really get much minutes in return. Last few games he has only gotten 4 and 6 minutes respectively.


Chase
OU Engineering Technology and Management '24
Future Honda of America Engineer
Bringing the noise!

Muck Fiami
Kant read, Kant write
Bowling Green Normie School

Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Post Count: 6,913

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 23 Thread: Ball St.
   Posted: 2/6/2024 11:26:22 PM 
We're fast approaching someone saying Ohio is the "team nobody wants to play" status and I'm patiently waiting. Don't let me down.
Back to Top
  
oubobcatjohn
General User

Member Since: 1/1/2005
Post Count: 803

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 23 Thread: Ball St.
   Posted: 2/7/2024 12:02:10 AM 
This one was a big win. second road win on the year and puts some distance between us and 9th place Ball State. This game likely punched our ticket to Cleveland. That was looking iffy a couple weeks ago. Brutal stretch with 6 of 9 on road plus three tough home games with Akron, BGSU and Kent State. Not easy and we could be anywhere from 2 to 8 seed but 3/4/5 seed is looking very likely right now. Miami and Kent State lots of costly home losses. We take care of business at home and we are going to be top 4 in the MAC.
Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 3,283

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 23 Thread: Ball St.
   Posted: 2/7/2024 6:55:51 AM 
MonroeClassmate wrote:
Why does Ike not get a few more minutes each game?

Listening on the radio when Ike was on the bench it seemed that BSU had little problem getting to reasonable two point shots and snagged offensive rebounds when they missed. Wouldn't a little bit of size help when Clayton is playing softer due to foul situation?

I bet none of you would have guessed that Gabe would be on the floor during an OT game!


Cornish is very, very soft himself. He's only ahead of Sheldon on the team in terms of total rebound rate. And only ahead of Sheldon and Corna in defensive rebound rate. He's long, but plays smaller than his length.
Back to Top
  
SBH
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,749

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 23 Thread: Ball St.
   Posted: 2/7/2024 7:30:49 AM 
I'm reluctant to ask this, but does Wiz have another year?

Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 1,201

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 23 Thread: Ball St.
   Posted: 2/7/2024 7:53:02 AM 
MonroeClassmate wrote:
Why does Ike not get a few more minutes each game?

Listening on the radio when Ike was on the bench it seemed that BSU had little problem getting to reasonable two point shots and snagged offensive rebounds when they missed. Wouldn't a little bit of size help when Clayton is playing softer due to foul situation?

I bet none of you would have guessed that Gabe would be on the floor during an OT game!


Interestingly enough, he had more rebounds than Wiz and as many as AJC through the first four MAC games. He actually played more minutes than Wiz in that timeframe; and I thought he might see more PT moving forward for crashing boards. Hasnít hit double-digit minutes in 4/5 games.

I remain self-proclaimed president of the Ike fan club. Bulk up and spend more time with Hadaway so his confidence rubs off on him.
Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 1,201

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 23 Thread: Ball St.
   Posted: 2/7/2024 8:00:57 AM 
SBH wrote:
I'm reluctant to ask this, but does Wiz have another year?



Not 100% sure. This season is supposed to be the last of the Covid year rules. Technically, this should be it.
Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 6,115

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 23 Thread: Ball St.
   Posted: 2/7/2024 8:05:40 AM 
Wiz should have another year
Back to Top
  
LuckySparrow
General User



Member Since: 10/15/2012
Location: Illinois
Post Count: 1,722

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 23 Thread: Ball St.
   Posted: 2/7/2024 8:37:13 AM 
Yeah, pretty sure Wiz has another year.

This is it for Jaylin and Miles only, I think.


What a day at the Convo.....Wow!

Back to Top
  
FearLeon
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 4,125

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 23 Thread: Ball St.
   Posted: 2/7/2024 8:43:54 AM 
shabamon wrote:
Wiz should have another year


How?

His first year at Louisville was 2020-2021. That was not the Covid year (2019-2020), so Iím not sure how The Whiz gets another year unless he got a red-shirt year during year two at Louisville when he only played five games?

The recruiting grid on the recruiting page says this is The Whizís senior season.

Heís played four years of college ball:

2020-2021
2021-2022
2022-2023
2023-2024


#BleedGreen #TrentIsGOAT

Back to Top
  
FearLeon
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 4,125

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 23 Thread: Ball St.
   Posted: 2/7/2024 8:44:29 AM 
LuckySparrow wrote:
Yeah, pretty sure Wiz has another year.

This is it for Jaylin and Miles only, I think.


What about Reef?


#BleedGreen #TrentIsGOAT

Back to Top
  
Andrew Ruck
General User



Member Since: 12/22/2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 4,696

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 23 Thread: Ball St.
   Posted: 2/7/2024 8:51:37 AM 
Well that was a wild one. I am having a hard time developing an opinion on it. On the one hand I thought we played pretty good, several good individual performances to highlight. On the other, it feels like we are very lucky to escape with the W. Not only did the 3 at regulation miss by about 2 MM, the free throw misses in OT basically gifted us the game. I also think we benefited from the refs overall. In the end I think the rebounding woes were the reason we probably should have crapped this game away, but glad we got away with it. Defensive positioning should be an emphasis in practice between now and Toledo in 10 days.

Did you guys see the ONE TIME Clayton backed a defender down in the paint and converted an "and one" with ease? And then it didn't happen again? Do I just need to accept this is the way it is and stop bitching about it? Nah, I'm gonna keep doing it. I know part of it is the design from Boals, but I still maintain he does not have the confidence and swagger that he should have in the paint. He needs to channel his inner-Dwight Wilson and take that damn thing to the hoop with confidence.

And again, I know every broadcaster oozes about his quick release, but if someone did a deep dive on his 3 pt % on quick release (aka rushed) threes it would be abysmal. And his normal looking threes that he takes a moment to line up would be an elite percent. I feel like Clayton could be truly elite with some calibration adjustments. Add to it that he skipped a year of HS, AND played for a truly awful HS program...it just makes you wonder what could've been with this guy.

The current win streak really comes down to Jaylin & Hadaway. If we had the current version of these two, 4-5 of our losses would have flipped to wins and we would be cranking around 18-5. Jaylin 8 for 11 from 2 and 10 for 12 at the line, I love it. Hadaway plays 2-3 inches taller than he is.

I found the playing time at the end of regulation and OT very interesting. Mitchell came in the game late for defense/free throw reasons, so I am not so sure the narrative that he was injured is accurate, but he also was in a bit of foul trouble. What I found most interesting was coach subbing out Clayton for defense 3 or 4 times, namely for Wiz. Sorry, I am not on board with that. I view Clayton as an above average defender.

Waiting until next Friday for the next MAC game / next televised game is going to be excruciating. Feels like an allstar break of sorts. Boo.


Andrew Ruck
B.B.A. 2003

Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 1,201

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 23 Thread: Ball St.
   Posted: 2/7/2024 8:55:16 AM 
FearLeon wrote:
shabamon wrote:
Wiz should have another year


How?

His first year at Louisville was 2020-2021. That was not the Covid year (2019-2020), so Iím not sure how The Whiz gets another year unless he got a red-shirt year during year two at Louisville when he only played five games?

The recruiting grid on the recruiting page says this is The Whizís senior season.

Heís played four years of college ball:

2020-2021
2021-2022
2022-2023
2023-2024


Our Gabe recruiting thread does reference he has 3 years of eligibility left. Although, I couldnít find anything (even the OU athletics release) that specifically calls out how many years Gabe has remaining.

I thought he was finished as well.
Back to Top
  
100%Cat
General User



Member Since: 1/17/2013
Post Count: 2,491

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 23 Thread: Ball St.
   Posted: 2/7/2024 8:57:57 AM 
I was stunned when the Ball St guard missed all three free throws after Wiz committed an awful foul on a fall-away three that had little chance of going down. This wasn't a game I expected us to get, but felt we really needed it with @Toledo coming up. When was the last time we won up there?
Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 1,201

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 23 Thread: Ball St.
   Posted: 2/7/2024 9:15:05 AM 
Andrew Ruck wrote:


Did you guys see the ONE TIME Clayton backed a defender down in the paint and converted an "and one" with ease? And then it didn't happen again? Do I just need to accept this is the way it is and stop bitching about it? Nah, I'm gonna keep doing it. I know part of it is the design from Boals, but I still maintain he does not have the confidence and swagger that he should have in the paint. He needs to channel his inner-Dwight Wilson and take that damn thing to the hoop with confidence.

And again, I know every broadcaster oozes about his quick release, but if someone did a deep dive on his 3 pt % on quick release (aka rushed) threes it would be abysmal. And his normal looking threes that he takes a moment to line up would be an elite percent. I feel like Clayton could be truly elite with some calibration adjustments. Add to it that he skipped a year of HS, AND played for a truly awful HS program...it just makes you wonder what could've been with this guy.



+1000. Clayton has only made two more 3PA's than 2PA's; yet he's taken 49 more attempts from beyond the arc. Which makes up 63% of his entire shot total.

I posted on the Buffalo thread how all his numbers are down across the board since MAC play started. The way he plays is baffling when it's statistically evident he's capable of playing to his size. In FearLeon terms -- make it make sense.
Back to Top
  
SBH
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,749

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 23 Thread: Ball St.
   Posted: 2/7/2024 9:15:21 AM 
FJC31 wrote:
MonroeClassmate wrote:
Why does Ike not get a few more minutes each game?

Listening on the radio when Ike was on the bench it seemed that BSU had little problem getting to reasonable two point shots and snagged offensive rebounds when they missed. Wouldn't a little bit of size help when Clayton is playing softer due to foul situation?

I bet none of you would have guessed that Gabe would be on the floor during an OT game!


Interestingly enough, he had more rebounds than Wiz and as many as AJC through the first four MAC games. He actually played more minutes than Wiz in that timeframe; and I thought he might see more PT moving forward for crashing boards. Hasnít hit double-digit minutes in 4/5 games.

I remain self-proclaimed president of the Ike fan club. Bulk up and spend more time with Hadaway so his confidence rubs off on him.


If Ben Roderick were still on the team (he had another year of eligibility), who would have gotten the minutes - Roderick or Ike? Hands down BRod, even though he regressed tremendously in his final two seasons.

Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 1,201

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 23 Thread: Ball St.
   Posted: 2/7/2024 9:23:53 AM 
SBH wrote:
FJC31 wrote:
MonroeClassmate wrote:
Why does Ike not get a few more minutes each game?

Listening on the radio when Ike was on the bench it seemed that BSU had little problem getting to reasonable two point shots and snagged offensive rebounds when they missed. Wouldn't a little bit of size help when Clayton is playing softer due to foul situation?

I bet none of you would have guessed that Gabe would be on the floor during an OT game!


Interestingly enough, he had more rebounds than Wiz and as many as AJC through the first four MAC games. He actually played more minutes than Wiz in that timeframe; and I thought he might see more PT moving forward for crashing boards. Hasnít hit double-digit minutes in 4/5 games.

I remain self-proclaimed president of the Ike fan club. Bulk up and spend more time with Hadaway so his confidence rubs off on him.


If Ben Roderick were still on the team (he had another year of eligibility), who would have gotten the minutes - Roderick or Ike? Hands down BRod, even though he regressed tremendously in his final two seasons.



I mean yea, I won't argue that. Ike's contributions this year have been minimal but I'd like to see what another off-season can do for him.
Back to Top
  
Deciduous Forest Cat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Ohio
Post Count: 4,306

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 23 Thread: Ball St.
   Posted: 2/7/2024 9:28:40 AM 
FJC31 wrote:
Andrew Ruck wrote:


Did you guys see the ONE TIME Clayton backed a defender down in the paint and converted an "and one" with ease? And then it didn't happen again? Do I just need to accept this is the way it is and stop bitching about it? Nah, I'm gonna keep doing it. I know part of it is the design from Boals, but I still maintain he does not have the confidence and swagger that he should have in the paint. He needs to channel his inner-Dwight Wilson and take that damn thing to the hoop with confidence.

And again, I know every broadcaster oozes about his quick release, but if someone did a deep dive on his 3 pt % on quick release (aka rushed) threes it would be abysmal. And his normal looking threes that he takes a moment to line up would be an elite percent. I feel like Clayton could be truly elite with some calibration adjustments. Add to it that he skipped a year of HS, AND played for a truly awful HS program...it just makes you wonder what could've been with this guy.



+1000. Clayton has only made two more 3PA's than 2PA's; yet he's taken 49 more attempts from beyond the arc. Which makes up 63% of his entire shot total.

I posted on the Buffalo thread how all his numbers are down across the board since MAC play started. The way he plays is baffling when it's statistically evident he's capable of playing to his size. In FearLeon terms -- make it make sense.


Not seeing it. His release is his release. He's a catch and shoot guy. That's when he's good. When he gathers himself or dribbles, it's a miss.

Rough shooting day yesterday, but in general he's more consistent than last year. He's a great deep threat and needs to shoot for us to win.

Last Edited: 2/7/2024 9:31:10 AM by Deciduous Forest Cat

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 3,283

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 23 Thread: Ball St.
   Posted: 2/7/2024 9:36:28 AM 
FJC31 wrote:


+1000. Clayton has only made two more 3PA's than 2PA's; yet he's taken 49 more attempts from beyond the arc. Which makes up 63% of his entire shot total.

I posted on the Buffalo thread how all his numbers are down across the board since MAC play started. The way he plays is baffling when it's statistically evident he's capable of playing to his size. In FearLeon terms -- make it make sense.


I suspect there are two factors at play here.

1) We ask Clayton to do too much on defense and he has to exert a lot of energy guarding other team's bigs when he's not really a big enough body to do so. On the offensive end, we save him a bit by facing him up.

2) To alleviate against 1, he sometimes shares the court with Wiz and when that's the case the only way to space the floor at all involves a 4 out 1 in set up.
Back to Top
  
FearLeon
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 4,125

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 23 Thread: Ball St.
   Posted: 2/7/2024 9:44:26 AM 
SBH wrote:
FJC31 wrote:
MonroeClassmate wrote:
Why does Ike not get a few more minutes each game?

Listening on the radio when Ike was on the bench it seemed that BSU had little problem getting to reasonable two point shots and snagged offensive rebounds when they missed. Wouldn't a little bit of size help when Clayton is playing softer due to foul situation?

I bet none of you would have guessed that Gabe would be on the floor during an OT game!


Interestingly enough, he had more rebounds than Wiz and as many as AJC through the first four MAC games. He actually played more minutes than Wiz in that timeframe; and I thought he might see more PT moving forward for crashing boards. Hasnít hit double-digit minutes in 4/5 games.

I remain self-proclaimed president of the Ike fan club. Bulk up and spend more time with Hadaway so his confidence rubs off on him.


If Ben Roderick were still on the team (he had another year of eligibility), who would have gotten the minutes - Roderick or Ike? Hands down BRod, even though he regressed tremendously in his final two seasons.



The regression of BRod since he made the dagger 3 against Virginia will always be one of the great Ohio Bobcat mysteries. The guy completely lost his shot for two consecutive seasons.


#BleedGreen #TrentIsGOAT

Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 6,115

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 23 Thread: Ball St.
   Posted: 2/7/2024 9:50:15 AM 
FearLeon wrote:
shabamon wrote:
Wiz should have another year


How?

His first year at Louisville was 2020-2021. That was not the Covid year (2019-2020), so Iím not sure how The Whiz gets another year unless he got a red-shirt year during year two at Louisville when he only played five games?

The recruiting grid on the recruiting page says this is The Whizís senior season.

Heís played four years of college ball:

2020-2021
2021-2022
2022-2023
2023-2024


20-21 was the Covid year. It's how Dwight was able to be in our program for three years (including a medical redshirt) after playing three at JMU.
Back to Top
  
SBH
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,749

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 23 Thread: Ball St.
   Posted: 2/7/2024 10:05:42 AM 
FJC31 wrote:
[QUOTE=Andrew Ruck]

Did you guys see the ONE TIME Clayton backed a defender down in the paint and converted an "and one" with ease? And then it didn't happen again? Do I just need to accept this is the way it is and stop bitching about it? Nah, I'm gonna keep doing it. I know part of it is the design from Boals, but I still maintain he does not have the confidence and swagger that he should have in the paint. He needs to channel his inner-Dwight Wilson and take that damn thing to the hoop with confidence.

And again, I know every broadcaster oozes about his quick release, but if someone did a deep dive on his 3 pt % on quick release (aka rushed) threes it would be abysmal. And his normal looking threes that he takes a moment to line up would be an elite percent. I feel like Clayton could be truly elite with some calibration adjustments. Add to it that he skipped a year of HS, AND played for a truly awful HS program...it just makes you wonder what could've been with this guy.





He's doing what Boals wants him to do, period. Boals sees him as a BVP type of player.

Last Edited: 2/7/2024 10:06:54 AM by SBH

Back to Top
  
bobcatsquared
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 5,039

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Game 23 Thread: Ball St.
   Posted: 2/7/2024 10:06:31 AM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
(Clayton) sometimes shares the court with Wiz and when that's the case the only way to space the floor at all involves a 4 out 1 in set up.


I can only think of 1 or 2 (3, maybe) instances where AJ and Wiz were on the court at the same time. A very rare combination. Does anyone know the total minutes of this?

Over/under 15 minutes. What's your pick? I'm going with under.
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  51 - 75  of 106 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Basketball' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             







Copyright ©2024 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties