Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Football
Topic:  RE: Official Myrtle Beach Bowl Game Thread: Georgia Southern

Topic:  RE: Official Myrtle Beach Bowl Game Thread: Georgia Southern
Author
Message
Ted Thompson
Administrator



Member Since: 11/11/2004
Location: MAC Play
Post Count: 7,397

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Myrtle Beach Bowl Game Thread: Georgia Southern
   Posted: 12/16/2023 10:32:20 PM 


Follow Ohio Football recruiting on the BobcatAttack.com football recruiting database.

Back to Top
  
LuckySparrow
General User



Member Since: 10/15/2012
Location: Illinois
Post Count: 1,722

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Myrtle Beach Bowl Game Thread: Georgia Southern
   Posted: 12/17/2023 7:56:05 AM 
To say this team surpassed my expectations yesterday would be an understatement. Wow, what a football game. What a performance.

All three phases were solid. Some adversity towards the end of the 3rd quarter into the the 4th but we handled it well.

OUr 2nd highest point total of the season. Loved the way the playbook was opened, especially in the first half. A varied attack. Parker looked like he belonged out there, great accuracy and zip on the ball. He was efficient, found Wiglusz early, and with his running ability that gives the offense an entirely new dimension.

What more can I say about Rickey Hunt? A day for the record books! Amazing catch on that receiving TD, running backwards using one arm... O-line was MUCH better but Hunt was great at finding daylight and taking it.

Defense was fabulous, as usual. Opportunistic, gobbling up Georgia Southern's mistakes - 3 INT and 2 Fumbles recovered. Shay Taylor was a beast. Then, the classics - Houston, Reynolds, Cox Jr., Pearson, Wood, Parodie, Weaver, Watkins, and so on... Everyone shined.

10 WIN TIM!


What a day at the Convo.....Wow!

Back to Top
  
Ted Thompson
Administrator



Member Since: 11/11/2004
Location: MAC Play
Post Count: 7,397

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Myrtle Beach Bowl Game Thread: Georgia Southern
   Posted: 12/18/2023 4:43:04 PM 

 


Follow Ohio Football recruiting on the BobcatAttack.com football recruiting database.

Back to Top
  
DC_United47
General User

Member Since: 7/23/2022
Post Count: 76

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Myrtle Beach Bowl Game Thread: Georgia Southern
   Posted: 12/19/2023 2:57:48 PM 
LuckySparrow wrote:
To say this team surpassed my expectations yesterday would be an understatement. Wow, what a football game. What a performance.

All three phases were solid. Some adversity towards the end of the 3rd quarter into the the 4th but we handled it well.

OUr 2nd highest point total of the season. Loved the way the playbook was opened, especially in the first half. A varied attack. Parker looked like he belonged out there, great accuracy and zip on the ball. He was efficient, found Wiglusz early, and with his running ability that gives the offense an entirely new dimension.

What more can I say about Rickey Hunt? A day for the record books! Amazing catch on that receiving TD, running backwards using one arm... O-line was MUCH better but Hunt was great at finding daylight and taking it.

Defense was fabulous, as usual. Opportunistic, gobbling up Georgia Southern's mistakes - 3 INT and 2 Fumbles recovered. Shay Taylor was a beast. Then, the classics - Houston, Reynolds, Cox Jr., Pearson, Wood, Parodie, Weaver, Watkins, and so on... Everyone shined.

10 WIN TIM!



Does anyone know, did Tim call the offense for this game? Seemed to be back to the Nathan Rourke good old days. Options, zone read, some play action, and 40+ points like back when he called the offense as OC? Looked vintage Albin! Either way, bravo to the Bobcats!
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 9,471

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Myrtle Beach Bowl Game Thread: Georgia Southern
   Posted: 12/21/2023 9:50:20 AM 
DC_United47 wrote:
LuckySparrow wrote:
To say this team surpassed my expectations yesterday would be an understatement. Wow, what a football game. What a performance.

All three phases were solid. Some adversity towards the end of the 3rd quarter into the the 4th but we handled it well.

OUr 2nd highest point total of the season. Loved the way the playbook was opened, especially in the first half. A varied attack. Parker looked like he belonged out there, great accuracy and zip on the ball. He was efficient, found Wiglusz early, and with his running ability that gives the offense an entirely new dimension.

What more can I say about Rickey Hunt? A day for the record books! Amazing catch on that receiving TD, running backwards using one arm... O-line was MUCH better but Hunt was great at finding daylight and taking it.

Defense was fabulous, as usual. Opportunistic, gobbling up Georgia Southern's mistakes - 3 INT and 2 Fumbles recovered. Shay Taylor was a beast. Then, the classics - Houston, Reynolds, Cox Jr., Pearson, Wood, Parodie, Weaver, Watkins, and so on... Everyone shined.

10 WIN TIM!



Does anyone know, did Tim call the offense for this game? Seemed to be back to the Nathan Rourke good old days. Options, zone read, some play action, and 40+ points like back when he called the offense as OC? Looked vintage Albin! Either way, bravo to the Bobcats!


You think about it, for almost his entire career at OC, Tim had athletic QB's who were largely run first people, if not 50/50 type guys. Few real drop back QB's, so I would say you are on to something, that Navarro fits with what Tim has always been more comfortable with. And big kudos to adjusting to the talent vs, thinking the talent should adjust to the scheme.
Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 10,067

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Myrtle Beach Bowl Game Thread: Georgia Southern
   Posted: 12/21/2023 10:02:35 AM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
You think about it, for almost his entire career at OC, Tim had athletic QB's who were largely run first people, if not 50/50 type guys. Few real drop back QB's, so I would say you are on to something, that Navarro fits with what Tim has always been more comfortable with. And big kudos to adjusting to the talent vs, thinking the talent should adjust to the scheme.

I agree. Ohio's offense wass designed for QBs who can run. Kudos to the staff for being willing to adjust it a lot to make it work with Kurtis, but in the end, it just wasn't quite as effective. I'd like to see them add a dual-threat QB or two before the February signing period.


“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.” ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
Victory
General User

Member Since: 3/10/2012
Post Count: 1,879

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Myrtle Beach Bowl Game Thread: Georgia Southern
   Posted: 12/21/2023 3:32:09 PM 
L.C. wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
You think about it, for almost his entire career at OC, Tim had athletic QB's who were largely run first people, if not 50/50 type guys. Few real drop back QB's, so I would say you are on to something, that Navarro fits with what Tim has always been more comfortable with. And big kudos to adjusting to the talent vs, thinking the talent should adjust to the scheme.

I agree. Ohio's offense wass designed for QBs who can run. Kudos to the staff for being willing to adjust it a lot to make it work with Kurtis, but in the end, it just wasn't quite as effective. I'd like to see them add a dual-threat QB or two before the February signing period.


He's done best with the 50/50 type guys like Nathan and Tettleton. Rourke was splitting time with Rogers two years ago because they were trying to force a square peg in a round hole. The defensive struggles forced us to open up the playbook last year. I am not sure that the staff realized what they had until the Fordham game last year. Then it was full speed ahead. I think his limited camp led them to ease him back in and by that time they realized that they might be better off being more conservative on offense than in 2022 because the defense was one of the better G5 units.

Rourke made a comment when he signed with Indiana about getting a chance in a pro-style offense. I'd bet that he was a little bit disturbed that we never went into air-it-out mode this year but his play also wasn't quite what it was going into 2022 even with all of the runs helping keep the defense honest. But I'm not sure that even could be expected to help his efficiency. I'm not one to usually criticize coaches in this manner because I know that I am a blithering idiot when it comes to the fine details of football compared to them. But I think our internal self scouting on our own play calling this year was very poor. I think that the opposing defense knew most of the time when we were going to run and when we were going to pass. Even though Rourke threw in less than in 2022 it didn't help is efficiency. I think that a lot of the time he was throwing into a defense expecting him to pass.
Back to Top
  
BryanHall
General User

Member Since: 9/11/2010
Post Count: 490

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Myrtle Beach Bowl Game Thread: Georgia Southern
   Posted: 12/21/2023 5:28:08 PM 
Victory wrote:
L.C. wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
You think about it, for almost his entire career at OC, Tim had athletic QB's who were largely run first people, if not 50/50 type guys. Few real drop back QB's, so I would say you are on to something, that Navarro fits with what Tim has always been more comfortable with. And big kudos to adjusting to the talent vs, thinking the talent should adjust to the scheme.

I agree. Ohio's offense wass designed for QBs who can run. Kudos to the staff for being willing to adjust it a lot to make it work with Kurtis, but in the end, it just wasn't quite as effective. I'd like to see them add a dual-threat QB or two before the February signing period.


He's done best with the 50/50 type guys like Nathan and Tettleton. Rourke was splitting time with Rogers two years ago because they were trying to force a square peg in a round hole. The defensive struggles forced us to open up the playbook last year. I am not sure that the staff realized what they had until the Fordham game last year. Then it was full speed ahead. I think his limited camp led them to ease him back in and by that time they realized that they might be better off being more conservative on offense than in 2022 because the defense was one of the better G5 units.

Rourke made a comment when he signed with Indiana about getting a chance in a pro-style offense. I'd bet that he was a little bit disturbed that we never went into air-it-out mode this year but his play also wasn't quite what it was going into 2022 even with all of the runs helping keep the defense honest. But I'm not sure that even could be expected to help his efficiency. I'm not one to usually criticize coaches in this manner because I know that I am a blithering idiot when it comes to the fine details of football compared to them. But I think our internal self scouting on our own play calling this year was very poor. I think that the opposing defense knew most of the time when we were going to run and when we were going to pass. Even though Rourke threw in less than in 2022 it didn't help is efficiency. I think that a lot of the time he was throwing into a defense expecting him to pass.


I think the comment about "pro-style offense" relates more to the style of offense than run-pass mix. Once of the knocks on Nathan Rourke was that he played in a read-option offense and never took a snap under center. I think Kurtis felt the need to add skills that would make him more attractive to NFL teams.

As for the Albin's offensive preferences, it is clear that he wants a run-heavy team with an option QB. Look back at who they have recruited in the past 10-15 years--largely run QBs. Kurtis was not a big recruit and was here largely due to his brother. Sprague was a walk-on and somewhat of an exception. From what I remember, Duckworth was the only real pro-style QB recruited. All the transfers--Bates, Rogers and Navarro--were run-first QBs.

My main gripe about the Rourke situation was that he is an NFL-level talent and in his fifth year the staff did not have a plan to maximize that talent.
Back to Top
  
Victory
General User

Member Since: 3/10/2012
Post Count: 1,879

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Myrtle Beach Bowl Game Thread: Georgia Southern
   Posted: 12/21/2023 7:00:20 PM 
BryanHall wrote:


I think the comment about "pro-style offense" relates more to the style of offense than run-pass mix. Once of the knocks on Nathan Rourke was that he played in a read-option offense and never took a snap under center. I think Kurtis felt the need to add skills that would make him more attractive to NFL teams.

As for the


I agree, but even the injury notwithstanding, I doubt that he was happy about choosing to let the defense carry the team.
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 9,471

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Myrtle Beach Bowl Game Thread: Georgia Southern
   Posted: 12/21/2023 9:28:07 PM 
BryanHall wrote:
Victory wrote:
L.C. wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
You think about it, for almost his entire career at OC, Tim had athletic QB's who were largely run first people, if not 50/50 type guys. Few real drop back QB's, so I would say you are on to something, that Navarro fits with what Tim has always been more comfortable with. And big kudos to adjusting to the talent vs, thinking the talent should adjust to the scheme.

I agree. Ohio's offense wass designed for QBs who can run. Kudos to the staff for being willing to adjust it a lot to make it work with Kurtis, but in the end, it just wasn't quite as effective. I'd like to see them add a dual-threat QB or two before the February signing period.


He's done best with the 50/50 type guys like Nathan and Tettleton. Rourke was splitting time with Rogers two years ago because they were trying to force a square peg in a round hole. The defensive struggles forced us to open up the playbook last year. I am not sure that the staff realized what they had until the Fordham game last year. Then it was full speed ahead. I think his limited camp led them to ease him back in and by that time they realized that they might be better off being more conservative on offense than in 2022 because the defense was one of the better G5 units.

Rourke made a comment when he signed with Indiana about getting a chance in a pro-style offense. I'd bet that he was a little bit disturbed that we never went into air-it-out mode this year but his play also wasn't quite what it was going into 2022 even with all of the runs helping keep the defense honest. But I'm not sure that even could be expected to help his efficiency. I'm not one to usually criticize coaches in this manner because I know that I am a blithering idiot when it comes to the fine details of football compared to them. But I think our internal self scouting on our own play calling this year was very poor. I think that the opposing defense knew most of the time when we were going to run and when we were going to pass. Even though Rourke threw in less than in 2022 it didn't help is efficiency. I think that a lot of the time he was throwing into a defense expecting him to pass.


I think the comment about "pro-style offense" relates more to the style of offense than run-pass mix. Once of the knocks on Nathan Rourke was that he played in a read-option offense and never took a snap under center. I think Kurtis felt the need to add skills that would make him more attractive to NFL teams.

As for the Albin's offensive preferences, it is clear that he wants a run-heavy team with an option QB. Look back at who they have recruited in the past 10-15 years--largely run QBs. Kurtis was not a big recruit and was here largely due to his brother. Sprague was a walk-on and somewhat of an exception. From what I remember, Duckworth was the only real pro-style QB recruited. All the transfers--Bates, Rogers and Navarro--were run-first QBs.

My main gripe about the Rourke situation was that he is an NFL-level talent and in his fifth year the staff did not have a plan to maximize that talent.


Just curious where you seen him as an NFL talent? I have not seen that anywhere, most if he gets an opportunity, its as an UDFA. Nothing wrong with that, he's a very good person, been a great Bobcat, but I am not sure where the NFL talk is really coming from. I wish him the best at IU, being a new staff and lots of new QB's in the room, I hope this works out for him and he has an outstanding year. But right now, he's going to need to worry about being the starter and nothing further down the road.

Even further if you know much about Cignetti, he is very flexible on scheme, and has publicly stated his scheme will be based off his personnel. So, I do not think it's even locked in what they are looking to do yet.

Back to Top
  
BryanHall
General User

Member Since: 9/11/2010
Post Count: 490

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Myrtle Beach Bowl Game Thread: Georgia Southern
   Posted: 12/21/2023 11:42:07 PM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
BryanHall wrote:
Victory wrote:
L.C. wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
You think about it, for almost his entire career at OC, Tim had athletic QB's who were largely run first people, if not 50/50 type guys. Few real drop back QB's, so I would say you are on to something, that Navarro fits with what Tim has always been more comfortable with. And big kudos to adjusting to the talent vs, thinking the talent should adjust to the scheme.

I agree. Ohio's offense wass designed for QBs who can run. Kudos to the staff for being willing to adjust it a lot to make it work with Kurtis, but in the end, it just wasn't quite as effective. I'd like to see them add a dual-threat QB or two before the February signing period.


He's done best with the 50/50 type guys like Nathan and Tettleton. Rourke was splitting time with Rogers two years ago because they were trying to force a square peg in a round hole. The defensive struggles forced us to open up the playbook last year. I am not sure that the staff realized what they had until the Fordham game last year. Then it was full speed ahead. I think his limited camp led them to ease him back in and by that time they realized that they might be better off being more conservative on offense than in 2022 because the defense was one of the better G5 units.

Rourke made a comment when he signed with Indiana about getting a chance in a pro-style offense. I'd bet that he was a little bit disturbed that we never went into air-it-out mode this year but his play also wasn't quite what it was going into 2022 even with all of the runs helping keep the defense honest. But I'm not sure that even could be expected to help his efficiency. I'm not one to usually criticize coaches in this manner because I know that I am a blithering idiot when it comes to the fine details of football compared to them. But I think our internal self scouting on our own play calling this year was very poor. I think that the opposing defense knew most of the time when we were going to run and when we were going to pass. Even though Rourke threw in less than in 2022 it didn't help is efficiency. I think that a lot of the time he was throwing into a defense expecting him to pass.


I think the comment about "pro-style offense" relates more to the style of offense than run-pass mix. Once of the knocks on Nathan Rourke was that he played in a read-option offense and never took a snap under center. I think Kurtis felt the need to add skills that would make him more attractive to NFL teams.

As for the Albin's offensive preferences, it is clear that he wants a run-heavy team with an option QB. Look back at who they have recruited in the past 10-15 years--largely run QBs. Kurtis was not a big recruit and was here largely due to his brother. Sprague was a walk-on and somewhat of an exception. From what I remember, Duckworth was the only real pro-style QB recruited. All the transfers--Bates, Rogers and Navarro--were run-first QBs.

My main gripe about the Rourke situation was that he is an NFL-level talent and in his fifth year the staff did not have a plan to maximize that talent.


Just curious where you seen him as an NFL talent? I have not seen that anywhere, most if he gets an opportunity, its as an UDFA. Nothing wrong with that, he's a very good person, been a great Bobcat, but I am not sure where the NFL talk is really coming from. I wish him the best at IU, being a new staff and lots of new QB's in the room, I hope this works out for him and he has an outstanding year. But right now, he's going to need to worry about being the starter and nothing further down the road.

Even further if you know much about Cignetti, he is very flexible on scheme, and has publicly stated his scheme will be based off his personnel. So, I do not think it's even locked in what they are looking to do yet.



I thought he had an NFL level arm with poise and acccuracy. There was talk of him being a potential late round pick coming into the year. I quickly found a reference to that in the link below.

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/lists/college-football-kic... /

As for Cignetti's offense, you are correct. However, it appears they are tailoring it around Rourke based on his statements he has made. I'll reference 1:30 of the following video where he answers the question and specifically says it is an NFL-like offense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0Ans0upaJ4



Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 9,471

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Myrtle Beach Bowl Game Thread: Georgia Southern
   Posted: 12/22/2023 8:59:32 AM 
Bryan, thanks for the links, always interesting to read the stuff from these "guru's". And I agree with you, he does have a big arm, and I do think he has a chance. But, IMO, I do not think he's there yet, and I think his limitations outweigh his strengths at the next level. That being said, he works hard, is a high character person, and will do what it takes. I hope he sets IU on fire!

Here is a newer "guru" take: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/kurtis-rourke-draft-...

Last Edited: 12/22/2023 8:59:59 AM by BillyTheCat

Back to Top
  
SBH
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,749

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Myrtle Beach Bowl Game Thread: Georgia Southern
   Posted: 12/22/2023 10:32:32 AM 
If Kurtis is an NFL level talent then I've got JFK hair. (Before Dallas...)

Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 10,067

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Myrtle Beach Bowl Game Thread: Georgia Southern
   Posted: 12/22/2023 10:48:01 AM 
My guess is that, if he has a good year next year, Kurtis might end up as a round 7 pick, or an UDFA. The problem he may face is that the Freshman Indiana recruited looks like a high NFL pick, so, if Kurtis struggles early, he might find himself as the backup. No matter what, Kurtis will be a high pick in the CFL draft, and if he plays well in the CFL, then he might find a way to the NFL the same way his brother did.


“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.” ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
Doc Bobcat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 4,183

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Myrtle Beach Bowl Game Thread: Georgia Southern
   Posted: 12/22/2023 11:48:34 AM 
SBH wrote:
If Kurtis is an NFL level talent then I've got JFK hair. (Before Dallas...)



Ouch!
Back to Top
  
ou1982
General User

Member Since: 3/5/2011
Post Count: 140

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Official Myrtle Beach Bowl Game Thread: Georgia Southern
   Posted: 12/31/2023 7:03:56 PM 
SBH wrote:
If Kurtis is an NFL level talent then I've got JFK hair. (Before Dallas...)



Who on BA thought Brock Purdy was an NFL talent, let alone a possible NFL MVP?
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  151 - 166  of 166 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
View Other 'Ohio Football' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             







Copyright ©2024 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties