Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Football
Topic:  RE: Other MAC bowl games

Topic:  RE: Other MAC bowl games
Author
Message
Casper71
General User

Member Since: 12/1/2006
Post Count: 2,895

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Other MAC bowl games
   Posted: 12/27/2023 6:09:09 PM 
If it is a coaches strategy, I hope they have a metric that confirms it is a valuable strategy. Should be pretty easy to determine on the short kicks where field positions started versus kicking the ball in the end zone and starting it on the 25. My gut feeling in the games I’ve seen is it we gave teams shorter yardage for scores by kicking it short. I still say why get cute. Make them go 75 yards for a touchdown.
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 9,471

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Other MAC bowl games (NT)
   Posted: 12/27/2023 6:33:56 PM 

Last Edited: 12/27/2023 6:36:22 PM by BillyTheCat

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 9,471

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Other MAC bowl games
   Posted: 12/27/2023 6:38:11 PM 
MonroeClassmate wrote:
greencat wrote:
M.D.W.S.T wrote:
Casper71 wrote:
All we need is for one year. Then go out and get another one. Kids nowadays can all kick the ball. I think much of it is a coaching philosophy. I just say why give up any potential for a run back. Make them go 75 yards every time for one.


Spetic was one of the longest kickers at the Kohl's kicking camp last season, so it might just be coaching feeling like they can get shorter yardage on a return.

He was rated the #6 kicker in the country at this camp that had everyone.
1 - Woodring at UGA
2 - Craig at Mizzou
3 - Reddick at UCF
4 - Radicic at IU
5 - Alvano at Nebraska
7 - Joseph at Houston

"Spetic was a finalist for the Under Armour All-American Game based on his field goal and kick-off charts. At the Midwest Showcase Camp in May of 2022. Spetic won the field goal contest at the camp with 130 other campers. He showed an ability to hit multiple 70-yard kickoffs... has unique range on field goals and his ball flight looked different than others at camp."
https://www.kohlskicking.com/player-profiles/gianni-spetic


If we need another kicker, Bama has one that was also a star at the Kohl's event one year and in two seasons hasn't seen the field once for Bama. I saw him nail a 50 yarder in a high school varsity game when he was in 9th grade.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFVJIqqktug

His 62 yard FG at Kohl's drew an ovation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vDDLQseQTE



He probably gets a ton of NIL and couldn't be persuaded. Not getting experience probably means nothing to the NFL as if you can get an invite to camp saying you were always second at Bama you can then prove your worth in camp after you have built your net worth with the NIL!



More likely, he likes the school and being a kicker has a real major and looking forward to the future.
Back to Top
  
M.D.W.S.T
General User



Member Since: 12/23/2021
Post Count: 1,780

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Other MAC bowl games
   Posted: 12/27/2023 6:51:04 PM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
MonroeClassmate wrote:
greencat wrote:
M.D.W.S.T wrote:
Casper71 wrote:
All we need is for one year. Then go out and get another one. Kids nowadays can all kick the ball. I think much of it is a coaching philosophy. I just say why give up any potential for a run back. Make them go 75 yards every time for one.


Spetic was one of the longest kickers at the Kohl's kicking camp last season, so it might just be coaching feeling like they can get shorter yardage on a return.

He was rated the #6 kicker in the country at this camp that had everyone.
1 - Woodring at UGA
2 - Craig at Mizzou
3 - Reddick at UCF
4 - Radicic at IU
5 - Alvano at Nebraska
7 - Joseph at Houston

"Spetic was a finalist for the Under Armour All-American Game based on his field goal and kick-off charts. At the Midwest Showcase Camp in May of 2022. Spetic won the field goal contest at the camp with 130 other campers. He showed an ability to hit multiple 70-yard kickoffs... has unique range on field goals and his ball flight looked different than others at camp."
https://www.kohlskicking.com/player-profiles/gianni-spetic


If we need another kicker, Bama has one that was also a star at the Kohl's event one year and in two seasons hasn't seen the field once for Bama. I saw him nail a 50 yarder in a high school varsity game when he was in 9th grade.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFVJIqqktug

His 62 yard FG at Kohl's drew an ovation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vDDLQseQTE



He probably gets a ton of NIL and couldn't be persuaded. Not getting experience probably means nothing to the NFL as if you can get an invite to camp saying you were always second at Bama you can then prove your worth in camp after you have built your net worth with the NIL!



More likely, he likes the school and being a kicker has a real major and looking forward to the future.


"Everyone wants to kill the King. The Prince gets to walk around telling everyone one day I'll BE King."
Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 10,067

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Other MAC bowl games
   Posted: 12/28/2023 10:49:52 AM 
Casper71 wrote:
If it is a coaches strategy, I hope they have a metric that confirms it is a valuable strategy. Should be pretty easy to determine on the short kicks where field positions started versus kicking the ball in the end zone and starting it on the 25. My gut feeling in the games I’ve seen is it we gave teams shorter yardage for scores by kicking it short. I still say why get cute. Make them go 75 yards for a touchdown.

While I do love kickoffs that go into the endzone, I also have no problem with really high hand time kickoffs that come down inside the ten yard line. My personal favorite, though, is probably line drive squib kicks aimed at the helmets of kick return team players who aren't paying attention. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDI0vSIree0


“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.” ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
Casper71
General User

Member Since: 12/1/2006
Post Count: 2,895

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Other MAC bowl games
   Posted: 12/28/2023 6:17:53 PM 
My issue with the short kick offs to the 10 yard line is if the other team ends up at the 35 with the possession. It should be pretty easy for the staff to figure out if this is an effective strategy or not.
Back to Top
  
Pataskala
General User

Member Since: 7/8/2010
Location: At least six feet away from anybody else
Post Count: 9,152

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Other MAC bowl games
   Posted: 12/29/2023 12:49:26 PM 
I can see using short kickoffs if the other team has a dynamite return man and we're trying to keep the ball out of his hands. But few teams we play have them. It seemed like we were sometimes using short kicks because of a lack of confidence in our coverage team.


We will get by.
We will get by.
We will get by.
We will survive.

Back to Top
  
Casper71
General User

Member Since: 12/1/2006
Post Count: 2,895

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Other MAC bowl games
   Posted: 12/29/2023 1:46:26 PM 
Newsflash… If the other team has a great returner, kick the ball in the damn end zone and he won’t be able to return it. Oh, instead kick it short to the 10 yard line and they run it past the 25 we hurt ourselves. If we make the tackle inside the 25 yard line, it is beneficial. That is why I still would maintain. There should be a metric that the staff can look at to determine whether or not their short kick results has been effective.
Back to Top
  
L.C.
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2005
Location: United States
Post Count: 10,067

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Other MAC bowl games
   Posted: 12/29/2023 3:35:39 PM 
Casper71 wrote:
Newsflash… If the other team has a great returner, kick the ball in the damn end zone and he won’t be able to return it. Oh, instead kick it short to the 10 yard line and they run it past the 25 we hurt ourselves. If we make the tackle inside the 25 yard line, it is beneficial. That is why I still would maintain. There should be a metric that the staff can look at to determine whether or not their short kick results has been effective.

In theory the advantage of a high kickoff that comes down at about the 10 is that a team isn't going to get a long return on a very high kick, so the receiving team may start inside the 25. They removed that strategy, however, via a rules change. Now, a team can fair catch it at the 10, and they get the ball at the 25. Thus, there is no longer any reason to kick balls very high. Just kick the ball in the endzone, or kick a hard, low, line drive, and aim it for someoene's head. ;)


“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.” ― Epictetus

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Jerry
General User

Member Since: 5/3/2017
Post Count: 215

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Other MAC bowl games
   Posted: 12/29/2023 6:43:46 PM 
L.C. wrote:
Casper71 wrote:
Newsflash… If the other team has a great returner, kick the ball in the damn end zone and he won’t be able to return it. Oh, instead kick it short to the 10 yard line and they run it past the 25 we hurt ourselves. If we make the tackle inside the 25 yard line, it is beneficial. That is why I still would maintain. There should be a metric that the staff can look at to determine whether or not their short kick results has been effective.

In theory the advantage of a high kickoff that comes down at about the 10 is that a team isn't going to get a long return on a very high kick, so the receiving team may start inside the 25. They removed that strategy, however, via a rules change. Now, a team can fair catch it at the 10, and they get the ball at the 25. Thus, there is no longer any reason to kick balls very high. Just kick the ball in the endzone, or kick a hard, low, line drive, and aim it for someoene's head. ;)


Back to Top
  
Bobcat Jerry
General User

Member Since: 5/3/2017
Post Count: 215

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Other MAC bowl games
   Posted: 12/29/2023 6:46:03 PM 
I have to admit winning bowl games has some bragging rights. By far Ohio has the best bowl winning record amongst MAC teams in recent years. Besides watching the Bobcats one more time is always enjoyable. (Not to mention some added cash to the athletic department)

Last Edited: 12/29/2023 6:47:08 PM by Bobcat Jerry

Back to Top
  
Mark Lembright '85
General User

Member Since: 8/22/2010
Location: Highland Heights, OH
Post Count: 2,447

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Other MAC bowl games
   Posted: 12/30/2023 8:07:51 PM 
The only college football team from the state of Ohio to win a bowl game this year: THE OHIO BOBCATS!
Back to Top
  
M.D.W.S.T
General User



Member Since: 12/23/2021
Post Count: 1,780

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Other MAC bowl games
   Posted: 12/31/2023 10:13:52 AM 
Mark Lembright '85 wrote:
The only college football team from the state of Ohio to win a bowl game this year: THE OHIO BOBCATS!


Love to see it.

I know many feel like it's silly - but in this era of NIL, and social media - this stuff matters. Even a silly little post on CBS saying OHIO has the 3rd longest bowl streak matters. Who knows who is seeing it. Who knows whose in the portal going - OH look at that, they win a lot. Maybe I'll take a visit?

I know the season didn't go the way many of us had hoped - still a ton of positives - and at the end of the day who won 10 games and won their bowl game? Not Toledo. Not Miami. THE Ohio University.
Back to Top
  
Casper71
General User

Member Since: 12/1/2006
Post Count: 2,895

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Other MAC bowl games
   Posted: 1/2/2024 12:31:21 AM 
Just went to two websites (one was CBS) to check out bowl scores. Neither site showed the Ohio score. Makes that a real valuable win that nobody knows about.
Back to Top
  
mid70sbobcat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 655

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Other MAC bowl games
   Posted: 1/2/2024 6:59:59 AM 
Casper71 wrote:
Just went to two websites (one was CBS) to check out bowl scores. Neither site showed the Ohio score. Makes that a real valuable win that nobody knows about.


I checked both ESPN and CBS and found our game.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/scoreboard/FBS... /

https://www.espn.com/college-football /




Back to Top
  
Casper71
General User

Member Since: 12/1/2006
Post Count: 2,895

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Other MAC bowl games
   Posted: 1/2/2024 4:33:22 PM 
When I go to CBS Sports, NCAAFB, I see there is a page 2 I did not initially go to that has our write up! Blame it on old age. Sorry…

Last Edited: 1/2/2024 4:36:21 PM by Casper71

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Jerry
General User

Member Since: 5/3/2017
Post Count: 215

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Other MAC bowl games
   Posted: 1/5/2024 5:38:41 PM 
Great point ! Ohio Bobcats is the only bowl winner from the state of Ohio! That is awesome. The governor present a trophy for a years bragging rights.
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  26 - 42  of 42 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2
View Other 'Ohio Football' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             







Copyright ©2024 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties