Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Basketball
Topic:  RE: Transfer Portal

Topic:  RE: Transfer Portal
Author
Message
M.D.W.S.T
General User



Member Since: 12/23/2021
Post Count: 30

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/23/2022 6:10:34 PM 
bornacatfan wrote:
bobcatsquared wrote:
Caleb Fields didn't play at all this year. Cameron Young played sparingly.

Losing conference frosh of the year is a blow. Ball St. will probably take a step back from where they are before hopefully moving forward.

Edit: heard BSU frosh Sparks, Sellers, Jihad are open to being re-recruited by new BSU coach.

Akron starter Bryan Trimble in portal. Can't imagine he'll be moving up.


I don't think Sparks is really looking to move. Put his name in the portal but I bet more depends on assts and that relationship. I remember seeing Matt Howard and Zach Hahn when Lickliter left Butler. They were sitting down between open gym games at New Castle Fieldhouse. I asked what they were doing...."as long as Brad and the other assistants that recruited us stays we will too"

The relationships assts have with kids last long after those with many HCs. I still talk to Rhodes often, Ku, Townsend and those guys have kept up. TOS...never heard from him when we were there...and not since. JG and Holt are always saying hi at games but all of those other assts Walk, Dustin are really close with the guys who they built relationships with prior to commitment.

I am hoping Sparks ... a kid from 20 miles away stays ... Balls gave him some love when most others were not even looking...



A lot of schools have been calling... so far I've heard from Pittsburgh, Virginia, Oklahoma, Indiana, Illinois, Cincinnati, Iowa State, Loyola Chicago, West Virginia, Arizona State and receiving serious interest from West Virginia, Iowa State, Loyola Chicago, Indiana so far.

I want the school I choose to be a program who wants to win. I want to go to a coach that's going to push me to the highest level and where I'm surrounded by a bunch of guys who want to be there.

Wrap it up. All that's left is the pretty new bow.

https://247sports.com/college/arizona-state/Article/Baske... /

Last Edited: 3/23/2022 6:11:05 PM by M.D.W.S.T

Back to Top
  
bornacatfan
General User



Member Since: 8/3/2006
Post Count: 5,639

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/23/2022 6:34:53 PM 
11 page thread that has turned from hope to resignation

https://overthepylon.boards.net/thread/4528/sparks?page=11


never argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Winter comes and asks how you spent your summer.....

The game loves and rewards those who love and reward the game

Back to Top
  
RufusCat09
General User

Member Since: 12/14/2019
Post Count: 276

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/23/2022 9:20:55 PM 
M.D.W.S.T wrote:
bornacatfan wrote:
bobcatsquared wrote:
Caleb Fields didn't play at all this year. Cameron Young played sparingly.

Losing conference frosh of the year is a blow. Ball St. will probably take a step back from where they are before hopefully moving forward.

Edit: heard BSU frosh Sparks, Sellers, Jihad are open to being re-recruited by new BSU coach.

Akron starter Bryan Trimble in portal. Can't imagine he'll be moving up.


I don't think Sparks is really looking to move. Put his name in the portal but I bet more depends on assts and that relationship. I remember seeing Matt Howard and Zach Hahn when Lickliter left Butler. They were sitting down between open gym games at New Castle Fieldhouse. I asked what they were doing...."as long as Brad and the other assistants that recruited us stays we will too"

The relationships assts have with kids last long after those with many HCs. I still talk to Rhodes often, Ku, Townsend and those guys have kept up. TOS...never heard from him when we were there...and not since. JG and Holt are always saying hi at games but all of those other assts Walk, Dustin are really close with the guys who they built relationships with prior to commitment.

I am hoping Sparks ... a kid from 20 miles away stays ... Balls gave him some love when most others were not even looking...



A lot of schools have been calling... so far I've heard from Pittsburgh, Virginia, Oklahoma, Indiana, Illinois, Cincinnati, Iowa State, Loyola Chicago, West Virginia, Arizona State and receiving serious interest from West Virginia, Iowa State, Loyola Chicago, Indiana so far.

I want the school I choose to be a program who wants to win. I want to go to a coach that's going to push me to the highest level and where I'm surrounded by a bunch of guys who want to be there.

Wrap it up. All that's left is the pretty new bow.

https://247sports.com/college/arizona-state/Article/Baske... /


There's a 0.00000000000001% chance he returns to Balls State
Back to Top
  
Jeff McKinney
Moderator

Member Since: 11/12/2004
Post Count: 5,733

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/23/2022 10:45:29 PM 
Cellis033 wrote:
Cameron Healy of Central Mich in the portal


He transferred to Central from Albany. This one kind of surprises me.

Back to Top
  
SBH
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,082

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/24/2022 10:17:43 AM 
RufusCat09 wrote:
M.D.W.S.T wrote:
bornacatfan wrote:
bobcatsquared wrote:
Caleb Fields didn't play at all this year. Cameron Young played sparingly.

Losing conference frosh of the year is a blow. Ball St. will probably take a step back from where they are before hopefully moving forward.

Edit: heard BSU frosh Sparks, Sellers, Jihad are open to being re-recruited by new BSU coach.

Akron starter Bryan Trimble in portal. Can't imagine he'll be moving up.


I don't think Sparks is really looking to move. Put his name in the portal but I bet more depends on assts and that relationship. I remember seeing Matt Howard and Zach Hahn when Lickliter left Butler. They were sitting down between open gym games at New Castle Fieldhouse. I asked what they were doing...."as long as Brad and the other assistants that recruited us stays we will too"

The relationships assts have with kids last long after those with many HCs. I still talk to Rhodes often, Ku, Townsend and those guys have kept up. TOS...never heard from him when we were there...and not since. JG and Holt are always saying hi at games but all of those other assts Walk, Dustin are really close with the guys who they built relationships with prior to commitment.

I am hoping Sparks ... a kid from 20 miles away stays ... Balls gave him some love when most others were not even looking...



A lot of schools have been calling... so far I've heard from Pittsburgh, Virginia, Oklahoma, Indiana, Illinois, Cincinnati, Iowa State, Loyola Chicago, West Virginia, Arizona State and receiving serious interest from West Virginia, Iowa State, Loyola Chicago, Indiana so far.

I want the school I choose to be a program who wants to win. I want to go to a coach that's going to push me to the highest level and where I'm surrounded by a bunch of guys who want to be there.

Wrap it up. All that's left is the pretty new bow.

https://247sports.com/college/arizona-state/Article/Baske... /


There's a 0.00000000000001% chance he returns to Balls State


Why have no MAC schools shown interest? Is there a gentlemen's agreement that you don't openly pursue other teams' players when they enter the portal? I'd love to have him in Athens.

Back to Top
  
IceCat76
General User

Member Since: 12/5/2016
Location: Byfield, MA
Post Count: 194

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/24/2022 10:21:35 AM 
Jeff McKinney wrote:
Cellis033 wrote:
Cameron Healy of Central Mich in the portal


He transferred to Central from Albany. This one kind of surprises me.



Perhaps he's looking to take advantage of the new transfer rules and make another step up. I say another because I'd rate the MAC above America East. How much above is subjective.

Last Edited: 3/24/2022 10:22:08 AM by IceCat76

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 8,063

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/24/2022 10:39:02 AM 
SBH wrote:
RufusCat09 wrote:
M.D.W.S.T wrote:
bornacatfan wrote:
bobcatsquared wrote:
Caleb Fields didn't play at all this year. Cameron Young played sparingly.

Losing conference frosh of the year is a blow. Ball St. will probably take a step back from where they are before hopefully moving forward.

Edit: heard BSU frosh Sparks, Sellers, Jihad are open to being re-recruited by new BSU coach.

Akron starter Bryan Trimble in portal. Can't imagine he'll be moving up.


I don't think Sparks is really looking to move. Put his name in the portal but I bet more depends on assts and that relationship. I remember seeing Matt Howard and Zach Hahn when Lickliter left Butler. They were sitting down between open gym games at New Castle Fieldhouse. I asked what they were doing...."as long as Brad and the other assistants that recruited us stays we will too"

The relationships assts have with kids last long after those with many HCs. I still talk to Rhodes often, Ku, Townsend and those guys have kept up. TOS...never heard from him when we were there...and not since. JG and Holt are always saying hi at games but all of those other assts Walk, Dustin are really close with the guys who they built relationships with prior to commitment.

I am hoping Sparks ... a kid from 20 miles away stays ... Balls gave him some love when most others were not even looking...



A lot of schools have been calling... so far I've heard from Pittsburgh, Virginia, Oklahoma, Indiana, Illinois, Cincinnati, Iowa State, Loyola Chicago, West Virginia, Arizona State and receiving serious interest from West Virginia, Iowa State, Loyola Chicago, Indiana so far.

I want the school I choose to be a program who wants to win. I want to go to a coach that's going to push me to the highest level and where I'm surrounded by a bunch of guys who want to be there.

Wrap it up. All that's left is the pretty new bow.

https://247sports.com/college/arizona-state/Article/Baske... /


There's a 0.00000000000001% chance he returns to Balls State


Why have no MAC schools shown interest? Is there a gentlemen's agreement that you don't openly pursue other teams' players when they enter the portal? I'd love to have him in Athens.



Lots of this is self reported. So, he may have told MAC schools, thanks but no thanks.
Back to Top
  
bobcatsquared
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,975

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/24/2022 10:52:01 AM 
* Walton transferred from BSU to Akron.
* Cochran transferred from NIU to BSU.
* O'Neal from KSU to BG.

Three players that left one MAC school for another MAC school last off season.
Back to Top
  
Bobcat1998
General User

Member Since: 11/7/2012
Post Count: 1,845

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/24/2022 11:18:11 AM 
bobcatsquared wrote:
* Walton transferred from BSU to Akron.
* Cochran transferred from NIU to BSU.
* O'Neal from KSU to BG.

Three players that left one MAC school for another MAC school last off season.


Grunkemeyer transferred from OU to Fiami....wait...too soon? :)
Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 2,433

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/24/2022 11:39:44 AM 
Bubba Walther transferred within the MAC, too.
Back to Top
  
SBH
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,082

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/24/2022 12:00:31 PM 
bobcatsquared wrote:
* Walton transferred from BSU to Akron.
* Cochran transferred from NIU to BSU.
* O'Neal from KSU to BG.

Three players that left one MAC school for another MAC school last off season.


I get that. My question is why he didn't mention a single MAC school among those interested in him. I can't believe Kent, Akron, us and others haven't been interested. Not even a mention of "and a few MAC programs."

Is there some courtesy deal where we don't openly talk about intraconference transfer opportunities?

Back to Top
  
bobcatsquared
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,975

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/24/2022 12:47:50 PM 
Valpo frosh Trey Woodyard had an offer from Ohio out of London (OH) HS. Not sure if there's still interest there. He avg. about 7 min and 1 pt for Valpo and is in the portal.

EMU's Mo Njie will add to a team's front court. Just not sure if he fits into Boals' style of play. I don't believe we offered him out of Centerville HS.

Last Edited: 3/24/2022 12:50:06 PM by bobcatsquared

Back to Top
  
greencat
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 1,296

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/24/2022 12:54:56 PM 
It's interesting that back when Saul was coach and he was recruiting some clearly not-all-that-athletic kids (I won't name them but we all know which ones)... people objected to "recruiting athletes" for the basketball team because... {quote} "this is basketball, not a track team."

Now some years later, recruiting "athletic" basketball players is something people have stopped complaining about and now they even endorse the idea.
Back to Top
  
Eagle66
General User

Member Since: 3/13/2005
Location: Cleveland, OH
Post Count: 1,264

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/24/2022 4:11:47 PM 
Colin Grangers name showed up in the verbal commits portal this afternoon.
Back to Top
  
RufusCat09
General User

Member Since: 12/14/2019
Post Count: 276

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/24/2022 5:58:54 PM 
Welp, not surprised by this at all. Wish him the best wherever he ends up.
Back to Top
  
greencat
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 1,296

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/24/2022 6:08:08 PM 
Not to be a pessimist, but I'm seeing some names in that portal that will end up playing intramurals at their next stop. I saw a kid who is a walk-on at a D-1 program that played a few mop-up minutes in 4 games this season and was held scoreless. Not certain why he thinks putting his name in the portal will change his fortunes.
Back to Top
  
bornacatfan
General User



Member Since: 8/3/2006
Post Count: 5,639

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/24/2022 7:05:44 PM 
greencat wrote:
Not to be a pessimist, but I'm seeing some names in that portal that will end up playing intramurals at their next stop. I saw a kid who is a walk-on at a D-1 program that played a few mop-up minutes in 4 games this season and was held scoreless. Not certain why he thinks putting his name in the portal will change his fortunes.


Ha....that's not being a pessimist...that's being a realist. Those numbers are pretty staggering and as they get released folks will be surprised how many of those transfers do not play, play less or get to a worse situation....and see their academic situation deteriorate.

I have been anxious since this whole thing started to see how the numbers of kids who fail compare to the small percentage that make their basketball situation a real life changer.


never argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Winter comes and asks how you spent your summer.....

The game loves and rewards those who love and reward the game

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 8,063

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/25/2022 9:28:29 AM 
greencat wrote:
Not to be a pessimist, but I'm seeing some names in that portal that will end up playing intramurals at their next stop. I saw a kid who is a walk-on at a D-1 program that played a few mop-up minutes in 4 games this season and was held scoreless. Not certain why he thinks putting his name in the portal will change his fortunes.


That is not pessimistic, that is a simple reality! This is from 247Sports, and though its about football, the numbers are roughly the same for basketball:

"Of the 480 Power Five scholarship players 247Sports studied from the 2019-20 cycle, only 26.5% of them stayed as a scholarship player on a P-5 roster. Another 26.3% signed with a G-5 program. Overall, 47.2% of P-5 scholarship athletes went to the FCS, junior college ranks or did not find a landing spot. Among the 826 FBS scholarship players 247Sports examined, only 37.8% stayed on the FBS level."

And sorry, posted before I saw Borna's response.

Last Edited: 3/25/2022 9:29:54 AM by BillyTheCat

Back to Top
  
OU_Country
General User



Member Since: 12/6/2005
Location: On the road between Athens and Madison County
Post Count: 8,138

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/25/2022 11:23:11 AM 
71 BOBCAT wrote:
It would be great if who ever set up the portal would increase the filtering i.e.by school, position, school year etc.
There are so many guys in the portal that it so cumbersome to scroll through to find a school or player.



Find the spot to send the fine folks at Verbal Commits a little feedback. ;-)
Back to Top
  
cc-cat
General User

Member Since: 4/5/2006
Location: matthews, NC
Post Count: 3,558

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/25/2022 2:13:34 PM 
The first-year college dropout rate is 30% -- The overall college dropout rate is 40% for undergraduates.

I'm always baffled why people think college athletes would trend differently.
Back to Top
  
bobcatsquared
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,975

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/29/2022 11:35:17 AM 
What's going on at Murray St?

31-win season followed by 5 (or more) players entering transfer portal, including starters KJ Williams (leading scorer/rebounder) and guard Justice Hill. Three of top 4 scorers in portal.

Just crazy where college sports finds itself in with free agency, paid students, selfishness over loyalty, all decisions based on the almighty dollar.

Last Edited: 3/29/2022 11:35:36 AM by bobcatsquared

Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Post Count: 6,201

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/29/2022 1:09:30 PM 
bobcatsquared wrote:
What's going on at Murray St?

31-win season followed by 5 (or more) players entering transfer portal, including starters KJ Williams (leading scorer/rebounder) and guard Justice Hill. Three of top 4 scorers in portal.

Just crazy where college sports finds itself in with free agency, paid students, selfishness over loyalty, all decisions based on the almighty dollar.


Coach is leaving for LSU. That's probably why.
Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 4,791

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/30/2022 8:25:45 AM 
I think at least one player from Murray State is following the coach to LSU, which, okay, enjoy your upcoming postseason ban.

What baffles me is that everyone else is going to play for a new coach regardless of if they transfer or stay at Murray State. Does playing basketball for Murray State suck so much that you need a really good head coach to make committing to that program worth it?

EDIT: I didn't realize Murray State had already hired Steve Prohm. Maybe he's encouraging the players to move on? But why push out a 30-win roster?

Last Edited: 3/30/2022 8:29:44 AM by shabamon

Back to Top
  
IceCat76
General User

Member Since: 12/5/2016
Location: Byfield, MA
Post Count: 194

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/30/2022 9:25:51 AM 
[QUOTE=shabamon] I think at least one player from Murray State is following the coach to LSU, which, okay, enjoy your upcoming postseason ban.


I saw on Verbal Commits that Justice Hill did commit to LSU.
Back to Top
  
OUbobcat9092
General User

Member Since: 12/28/2004
Location: Fairfax, VA
Post Count: 1,062

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Transfer Portal
   Posted: 3/30/2022 9:28:00 AM 
BVP made the list on the Athletic story - "Ranking the best available mens college basketball transfers and high school recruits for 2022-23"

https://theathletic.com/3211734/2022/03/30/ranking-the-be...


21. Ben Vander Plas | 6-8 forward | graduate | Ohio

Anyone looking for a hyper-smart, floor-spacing, ball-moving forward? Vander Plas fits the billing. He was the running partner out of pick-and-pops for now-Clippers guard Jason Preston and terrific sophomore guard Mark Sears, working to cover up every single crack and hole that exists in their offense. If Preston and Sears were the engines, Vander Plas was the oil that kept things running smoothly. The MAC coaches recognized how effective he was, too, naming him the league freshman of the year in his first season, followed by naming him to the all-league team three straight times, including the first team this last season. Its worth noting that his full first name is Bennett. As in, Dick and Tony Bennett, who Vander Plas father played for and with at Wisconsin-Green Bay. Virginia could absolutely use a playmaking big like this, and got to see him up close in the 2021 NCAA Tournament when Ben dropped 17 points en route to Ohios upset over the Cavaliers.


Bring Back Men's Track & Field

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  51 - 75  of 126 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Basketball' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             







Copyright ©2022 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties