Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Basketball
Topic:  State of the Program

Topic:  State of the Program
Author
Message
71 BOBCAT
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 1,775

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  State of the Program
   Posted: 1/18/2023 9:52:43 AM 
All the experts in college basketball tell us that the point guard position is the most important.
Hunter is a good ball handler but lacks court vision to find the open man. Add to that his shooting % is average at best.
Wilson is our only consistent contributor.
One game Clayton goes off, one game Miles goes off, one game Hunter goes off. None of these players can even string 2 good games together. Wiz is a complete waste.


Based on these observations we will be lucky to end the year at .500.

It looks like we will lose 3-4 players to graduation, then add 2-3 to the transfer portal.
Boals has his work cut out for him to turn this program around next year.



GO BOBCATS
Back to Top
  
spongeBOB CATpants
General User



Member Since: 8/16/2016
Post Count: 709

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: State of the Program
   Posted: 1/18/2023 11:09:06 AM 
71 BOBCAT wrote:
All the experts in college basketball tell us that the point guard position is the most important.
Hunter is a good ball handler but lacks court vision to find the open man. Add to that his shooting % is average at best.
Wilson is our only consistent contributor.
One game Clayton goes off, one game Miles goes off, one game Hunter goes off. None of these players can even string 2 good games together. Wiz is a complete waste.


Based on these observations we will be lucky to end the year at .500.

It looks like we will lose 3-4 players to graduation, then add 2-3 to the transfer portal.
Boals has his work cut out for him to turn this program around next year.



GO BOBCATS


I think if the freshmen decide to stay, there is a decent enough core to build around. Not sure if this is measurable but I would guess that the most improvement happens between year 1 and year 2. These guys have gotten enough run to get their feet wet in D1 and I fully expect the returners to show vast improvement next year.

Every year moving forward is most likely going to depend heavily on the portal to fill the gaps. Can't miss on these.

I've said in other threads that the portal guys HAVE to contribute right away. For portal transfers, the time to develop was the previous year at the previous school (barring injury but I would not use a scholly to give to a guy with health issues).
Back to Top
  
Cellis033
General User



Member Since: 11/11/2021
Location: Powell, OH
Post Count: 1,187

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: State of the Program
   Posted: 1/18/2023 11:12:58 AM 
While the start to conference play hasnít been great to start the year - I had eager expectations going into this year. I get the feeling we are preparing for the future especially at PG position. Bring in established guy (Jaylin) and get minutes to Sheldon. Iím sure Estis will also work his way into the mix next year at the PG position as well. I donít want to speculate who would leave via transfer portal, but have a feeling we will lose atleast one guy. I think our 2023 class has been small so far because I think Boals will try and bring in portal guys. As much as we missed so far this year, still plenty of time for these guys to get it together for March. Also have a feeling the freshman will improve massively for 23-24. Boals seems to be banking on the young guys stepping up and weíve seen glimpses at what they can do.

Staying optimistic for us being a 6-8 seed but still a lot of items on the fix list (turnovers especially) to address for the remaining conference. We donít have any easy games in conference play and as long as they throw everything they got at someone, always proud of my Bobcats.

Last Edited: 1/18/2023 11:14:33 AM by Cellis033


Chase
OU Engineering Technology and Management '24
O-Zone President
Bringing the noise!

Muck Fiami
Kent read, Kent write, Can't be a state!
Bowling Green Normal School

Back to Top
  
A-townBound
General User



Member Since: 3/31/2012
Location: Georgetown, KY
Post Count: 642

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: State of the Program
   Posted: 1/18/2023 11:33:18 AM 
71 BOBCAT wrote:


It looks like we will lose 3-4 players to graduation, then add 2-3 to the transfer portal.
Boals has his work cut out for him to turn this program around next year.

GO BOBCATS


I think Ben Roderick and Miles Brown can return if they choose to use their extra year - Brown confirmed on the Jeff Boals show recently he has another year if he chooses to use it.

Last Edited: 1/18/2023 12:14:46 PM by A-townBound


Bleed Green and GO OHIO!!

Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 317

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: State of the Program
   Posted: 1/18/2023 11:40:20 AM 
Cellis033 wrote:
While the start to conference play hasnít been great to start the year - I had eager expectations going into this year. I get the feeling we are preparing for the future especially at PG position. Bring in established guy (Jaylin) and get minutes to Sheldon. Iím sure Estis will also work his way into the mix next year at the PG position as well. I donít want to speculate who would leave via transfer portal, but have a feeling we will lose atleast one guy. I think our 2023 class has been small so far because I think Boals will try and bring in portal guys. As much as we missed so far this year, still plenty of time for these guys to get it together for March. Also have a feeling the freshman will improve massively for 23-24. Boals seems to be banking on the young guys stepping up and weíve seen glimpses at what they can do.

Staying optimistic for us being a 6-8 seed but still a lot of items on the fix list (turnovers especially) to address for the remaining conference. We donít have any easy games in conference play and as long as they throw everything they got at someone, always proud of my Bobcats.


I always appreciate your optimism, but I think youíre way too high on Estis. Heís a preferred walk-on for a reason. Heís unlikely to be given a scholarship as soon as next season; so Iím not seeing him working his way into the PG mix.

Maybe by the latter part of his career heíll earn a scholarship, but right now it doesnít seem like the best usage of one. What were his offers out of HS? Did anyone ever find those?

Whether or not Jaylin returns (Iím mixed on this), we might want to be targeting another PG in the portal anyway.

Last Edited: 1/18/2023 2:20:42 PM by FJC31

Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 317

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: State of the Program
   Posted: 1/18/2023 11:41:39 AM 
A-townBound wrote:
71 BOBCAT wrote:


It looks like we will lose 3-4 players to graduation, then add 2-3 to the transfer portal.
Boals has his work cut out for him to turn this program around next year.

GO BOBCATS


I think Ben Roderick and Miles Brown can return if they choose to use their extra year - Brown confirmed in the Jeff Boals show recently he has another year if he chooses to use it.


That sounds right. I appreciate BRod being a good teammate this year, probably hasnít been easy. That said, I think itís time to move on. I just donít see him getting that stroke back.
Back to Top
  
Ohio69
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,933

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: State of the Program
   Posted: 1/18/2023 4:20:14 PM 
So, if ohiobobcats.com site is correct, here's Ben Roderick's three point shooting percent by year:

2022-23 .404
2021-22 .222
2020-21 .397
2019-20 .367

He's back to shooting well. (Right now at least.)

Last Edited: 1/18/2023 4:32:14 PM by Ohio69


Can somebody hit a pull up jumper for me?.....

Back to Top
  
Ohio69
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 2,933

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: State of the Program
   Posted: 1/18/2023 4:58:38 PM 

Also, give Elmore James and AJ Brown all the minutes they need to convince them to stay away from the transfer portal....


Can somebody hit a pull up jumper for me?.....

Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 317

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: State of the Program
   Posted: 1/18/2023 6:09:26 PM 
Ohio69 wrote:
So, if ohiobobcats.com site is correct, here's Ben Roderick's three point shooting percent by year:

2022-23 .404
2021-22 .222
2020-21 .397
2019-20 .367

He's back to shooting well. (Right now at least.)



Damn. Admittedly, I didnít even bother looking it up. I stand corrected ó he is shooting better. It oddly feels like he isnít having that much impact.
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 8,670

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: State of the Program
   Posted: 1/18/2023 8:35:19 PM 
Ohio69 wrote:
So, if ohiobobcats.com site is correct, here's Ben Roderick's three point shooting percent by year:

2022-23 .404
2021-22 .222
2020-21 .397
2019-20 .367

He's back to shooting well. (Right now at least.)



And people still want him benched.
Back to Top
  
GraffZ06
General User



Member Since: 1/5/2005
Location: Dayton, OH
Post Count: 1,297

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: State of the Program
   Posted: 1/18/2023 10:38:15 PM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
Ohio69 wrote:
So, if ohiobobcats.com site is correct, here's Ben Roderick's three point shooting percent by year:

2022-23 .404
2021-22 .222
2020-21 .397
2019-20 .367

He's back to shooting well. (Right now at least.)



And people still want him benched.


Not anyone who's actually looked at the stats. He's our 4th or 5th best player on offense. His defense is still below average. Sum total is he's a solid 6th or 7th man off the bench similar to how Boals is already using him.
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 13,058

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: State of the Program
   Posted: 1/18/2023 11:31:03 PM 
Ohio69 wrote:
So, if ohiobobcats.com site is correct, here's Ben Roderick's three point shooting percent by year:

2022-23 .404
2021-22 .222
2020-21 .397
2019-20 .367

He's back to shooting well. (Right now at least.)



A dose of reality. I wouldn't have thought that from my own observations. I thought the numbers were slightly better since he's been coming off the bench, but these numbers surprise me. Maybe I'm just remembering the misses more this year because his constant missing last year is still imprinted on my mind. The human mind does strange things like that.


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
GroverBall
General User

Member Since: 12/3/2012
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 1,222

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: State of the Program
   Posted: 1/18/2023 11:51:20 PM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
Ohio69 wrote:
So, if ohiobobcats.com site is correct, here's Ben Roderick's three point shooting percent by year:

2022-23 .404
2021-22 .222
2020-21 .397
2019-20 .367

He's back to shooting well. (Right now at least.)



A dose of reality. I wouldn't have thought that from my own observations. I thought the numbers were slightly better since he's been coming off the bench, but these numbers surprise me. Maybe I'm just remembering the misses more this year because his constant missing last year is still imprinted on my mind. The human mind does strange things like that.


Also shooting 85% from the charity stripe, which would be a season career high by far if he keeps it up. It would appear his work on his shot is paying off, but don't tell some BAers because they just know better.
Back to Top
  
cbarber357
General User

Member Since: 9/9/2012
Location: Pickerington, OH
Post Count: 702

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: State of the Program
   Posted: 1/18/2023 11:58:15 PM 
Maybe Iím the only one, but this season is going about how I expected and Iím not too upset by it. We lost two guys who are now starting for top 10 teams, we lost a current NBA player the year before, and weíre relying on multiple true freshman for big minutes. We should pick up more wins in the next stretch of schedule, and if Boals can keep most of the guys here next year we should be better.
Back to Top
  
giacomo
General User

Member Since: 11/20/2007
Post Count: 2,356

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: State of the Program
   Posted: 1/19/2023 9:27:24 PM 
cbarber357 wrote:
Maybe Iím the only one, but this season is going about how I expected and Iím not too upset by it. We lost two guys who are now starting for top 10 teams, we lost a current NBA player the year before, and weíre relying on multiple true freshman for big minutes. We should pick up more wins in the next stretch of schedule, and if Boals can keep most of the guys here next year we should be better.


A voice of reason!
Back to Top
  
RSBobcat
General User



Member Since: 8/22/2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 4,328

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: State of the Program
   Posted: 1/20/2023 12:50:09 AM 
giacomo wrote:
cbarber357 wrote:
Maybe Iím the only one, but this season is going about how I expected and Iím not too upset by it. We lost two guys who are now starting for top 10 teams, we lost a current NBA player the year before, and weíre relying on multiple true freshman for big minutes. We should pick up more wins in the next stretch of schedule, and if Boals can keep most of the guys here next year we should be better.


A voice of reason!


Nostradamus speaks? "Reason" though no "Prognostication"? Looks contradictory....???


RS Bobcat

Back to Top
  
Bobcat1996
General User

Member Since: 1/2/2017
Post Count: 653

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: State of the Program
   Posted: 1/20/2023 7:48:05 AM 
giacomo wrote:
cbarber357 wrote:
Maybe Iím the only one, but this season is going about how I expected and Iím not too upset by it. We lost two guys who are now starting for top 10 teams, we lost a current NBA player the year before, and weíre relying on multiple true freshman for big minutes. We should pick up more wins in the next stretch of schedule, and if Boals can keep most of the guys here next year we should be better.


A voice of reason!


ESPN predictor indicator has the Bobcats favored in every game the rest of the way except at Kent and at Akron. Not saying that will end up being correct, but that would be 12 MAC wins and 6 losses.

Last Edited: 1/20/2023 7:49:31 AM by Bobcat1996

Back to Top
  
Victory
General User

Member Since: 3/10/2012
Post Count: 1,447

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: State of the Program
   Posted: 1/20/2023 1:43:36 PM 
FJC31 wrote:
Cellis033 wrote:
While the start to conference play hasnít been great to start the year - I had eager expectations going into this year. I get the feeling we are preparing for the future especially at PG position. Bring in established guy (Jaylin) and get minutes to Sheldon. Iím sure Estis will also work his way into the mix next year at the PG position as well. I donít want to speculate who would leave via transfer portal, but have a feeling we will lose atleast one guy. I think our 2023 class has been small so far because I think Boals will try and bring in portal guys. As much as we missed so far this year, still plenty of time for these guys to get it together for March. Also have a feeling the freshman will improve massively for 23-24. Boals seems to be banking on the young guys stepping up and weíve seen glimpses at what they can do.

Staying optimistic for us being a 6-8 seed but still a lot of items on the fix list (turnovers especially) to address for the remaining conference. We donít have any easy games in conference play and as long as they throw everything they got at someone, always proud of my Bobcats.


I always appreciate your optimism, but I think youíre way too high on Estis. Heís a preferred walk-on for a reason. Heís unlikely to be given a scholarship as soon as next season; so Iím not seeing him working his way into the PG mix.

Maybe by the latter part of his career heíll earn a scholarship, but right now it doesnít seem like the best usage of one. What were his offers out of HS? Did anyone ever find those?

Whether or not Jaylin returns (Iím mixed on this), we might want to be targeting another PG in the portal anyway.


When I heard that he had redshirted I assumed that meant Boals thought Estis maybe had a chance to be the 10th or 11th guy his 4th or 5th year. I have to agree, I don't think that it means there is hardly any chance he is going to be the 8th or 9th guy next year.
Back to Top
  
GraffZ06
General User



Member Since: 1/5/2005
Location: Dayton, OH
Post Count: 1,297

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: State of the Program
   Posted: 1/20/2023 7:50:01 PM 
Wasn't Chad originally a walk-on who not only earned a scholarship but ended up a starter on the 94 NCAA tourney team?

I know he didn't play much his Fresh/Soph years and turned into a key contributor both his Junior and Senior years.
Back to Top
  
LuckySparrow
General User



Member Since: 10/15/2012
Location: Illinois
Post Count: 1,529

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: State of the Program
   Posted: 1/21/2023 9:31:14 AM 
Ohio69 wrote:
So, if ohiobobcats.com site is correct, here's Ben Roderick's three point shooting percent by year:

2022-23 .404
2021-22 .222
2020-21 .397
2019-20 .367

He's back to shooting well. (Right now at least.)



B-Rod is having a fine season as a role player, I'm not disputing that.

However, in 2022-2023 he's only attempting 2.6 3pt shots per game compared to 3.8, 6.0, and 4.3 attempts per game in his previous seasons.


What a day at the Convo.....Wow!

Back to Top
  
FearLeon
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 3,161

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: State of the Program
   Posted: 1/21/2023 11:21:51 AM 
GraffZ06 wrote:
Wasn't Chad originally a walk-on who not only earned a scholarship but ended up a starter on the 94 NCAA tourney team?

I know he didn't play much his Fresh/Soph years and turned into a key contributor both his Junior and Senior years.


The legend of Chad Estis was born I believe his sophomore year as a walk-on vs Kent. Ohio was down by 8 I believe with 26 seconds left.

Ohio won when Estis hit a three and then we stole the ball and Rush Floyd hit the last three point shot of his career (kidding...but he was never a factor after his freshman year....Rush loved the Pub...didn't we all) for a stunning win over Kent and the Dean....Jim McDonald.

From that point moving forward in his career, Estis was never out of the rotation.


#BleedGreen #TrentIsGOAT

Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 317

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: State of the Program
   Posted: 1/21/2023 11:26:55 AM 
FearLeon wrote:
GraffZ06 wrote:
Wasn't Chad originally a walk-on who not only earned a scholarship but ended up a starter on the 94 NCAA tourney team?

I know he didn't play much his Fresh/Soph years and turned into a key contributor both his Junior and Senior years.


The legend of Chad Estis was born I believe his sophomore year as a walk-on vs Kent. Ohio was down by 8 I believe with 26 seconds left.

Ohio won when Estis hit a three and then we stole the ball and Rush Floyd hit the last three point shot of his career (kidding...but he was never a factor after his freshman year....Rush loved the Pub...didn't we all) for a stunning win over Kent and the Dean....Jim McDonald.

From that point moving forward in his career, Estis was never out of the rotation.



Speaking of Chad, apparently heís the one who jump started the 1804 Collective. I asked a buddy within the department. Hopefully him spearheading it as a former player creates more excitement and interest in supporting.
Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 317

Status: Online

  Message Not Read  RE: State of the Program
   Posted: 1/21/2023 11:37:43 AM 
Victory wrote:
FJC31 wrote:
Cellis033 wrote:
While the start to conference play hasnít been great to start the year - I had eager expectations going into this year. I get the feeling we are preparing for the future especially at PG position. Bring in established guy (Jaylin) and get minutes to Sheldon. Iím sure Estis will also work his way into the mix next year at the PG position as well. I donít want to speculate who would leave via transfer portal, but have a feeling we will lose atleast one guy. I think our 2023 class has been small so far because I think Boals will try and bring in portal guys. As much as we missed so far this year, still plenty of time for these guys to get it together for March. Also have a feeling the freshman will improve massively for 23-24. Boals seems to be banking on the young guys stepping up and weíve seen glimpses at what they can do.

Staying optimistic for us being a 6-8 seed but still a lot of items on the fix list (turnovers especially) to address for the remaining conference. We donít have any easy games in conference play and as long as they throw everything they got at someone, always proud of my Bobcats.


I always appreciate your optimism, but I think youíre way too high on Estis. Heís a preferred walk-on for a reason. Heís unlikely to be given a scholarship as soon as next season; so Iím not seeing him working his way into the PG mix.

Maybe by the latter part of his career heíll earn a scholarship, but right now it doesnít seem like the best usage of one. What were his offers out of HS? Did anyone ever find those?

Whether or not Jaylin returns (Iím mixed on this), we might want to be targeting another PG in the portal anyway.


When I heard that he had redshirted I assumed that meant Boals thought Estis maybe had a chance to be the 10th or 11th guy his 4th or 5th year. I have to agree, I don't think that it means there is hardly any chance he is going to be the 8th or 9th guy next year.


Itís not unheard of, Iíd just be pleasantly surprised to see him make that type of leap so soon. I do think given the redshirt that thereís a plan for him to play at some point, however.
Back to Top
  
GraffZ06
General User



Member Since: 1/5/2005
Location: Dayton, OH
Post Count: 1,297

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: State of the Program
   Posted: 1/21/2023 2:09:39 PM 
FJC31 wrote:
FearLeon wrote:
GraffZ06 wrote:
Wasn't Chad originally a walk-on who not only earned a scholarship but ended up a starter on the 94 NCAA tourney team?

I know he didn't play much his Fresh/Soph years and turned into a key contributor both his Junior and Senior years.


The legend of Chad Estis was born I believe his sophomore year as a walk-on vs Kent. Ohio was down by 8 I believe with 26 seconds left.

Ohio won when Estis hit a three and then we stole the ball and Rush Floyd hit the last three point shot of his career (kidding...but he was never a factor after his freshman year....Rush loved the Pub...didn't we all) for a stunning win over Kent and the Dean....Jim McDonald.

From that point moving forward in his career, Estis was never out of the rotation.



Speaking of Chad, apparently heís the one who jump started the 1804 Collective. I asked a buddy within the department. Hopefully him spearheading it as a former player creates more excitement and interest in supporting.


Considering Chad was a sports management major at Ohio, and is now gainfully employed by the Dallas Cowboys - I'd say he's as good as anyone to spearhead this type of effort.

Last Edited: 1/21/2023 2:10:50 PM by GraffZ06

Back to Top
  
71 BOBCAT
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 1,775

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: State of the Program
   Posted: 1/29/2023 9:18:02 AM 
Update time.....

Wiz is not making any progress and is obviously not Wilsons replacement for next year. As someone else said he is a D2 player.

AJ Brown is beginning to show signs of being more aggressive on offense by going to the hoop stronger then at the seasons start.
James is a real bulldozer when he drives to the basket. He plays stronger than any other player on the roster. He needs more PT.
Hunter is also playing better and scoring more.

I was pleased in the way in which we played in the second half. We did not give up from a 17 point deficient in the 1st half.

Question: Does anyone know what the real situation is with IJEzuma?


GO BOBCATS
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 25  of 27 Posts
Jump to Page:  1 | 2    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Basketball' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             







Copyright ©2023 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties