Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Basketball
Topic:  RE: Ohio University Alumni Team in 2023 TBT

Topic:  RE: Ohio University Alumni Team in 2023 TBT
Author
Message
Victory
General User

Member Since: 3/10/2012
Post Count: 1,703

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio University Alumni Team in 2023 TBT
   Posted: 7/21/2023 12:22:08 PM 
I don't use the term "Roll Bobbies" but I'm not going to let it bother me. I'm fall into "middle aged" now and I don't want to be one of those guys that yells "Get off my lawn" as I get older. Young people can speak, or dress, or listen to whatever music.... that they want. Just because things are different than what I grew up with doesn't make it wrong unless actual testable evidence shows that it is actually harmful.

On the other hand I don't only hate "Ohio U", you could say I totally abhor it or whatever strong adjective comes to mind. I think that its use is usually done in a disrespectful context and only happens because Ohio State sometimes calls themselves Ohio. If Indiana State had "Indiana" in some of its slogans I doubt that some in the media would insist on calling Indiana University "Indiana U." for clarification. If we are called Ohio U. or Ohio University in the context where other schools also have U. or University in their names then it doesn't bother me at all. But If I see Ohio U. on a score ticker or something then I cringe.
Back to Top
  
JSF
General User



Member Since: 1/29/2005
Location: Houston, TX
Post Count: 6,203

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio University Alumni Team in 2023 TBT
   Posted: 7/21/2023 2:38:57 PM 
It appears they pick from a pool of applicants.

https://thetournament.com/tbt/tournament-rules /


"Loyalty to a hometown or city is fleeting and interchangeable, but college is a stamp of identity."- Kyle Whelliston, One Beautiful Season.

My blog about depression and mental illness: https://bit.ly/3buGXH8

Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 13,750

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio University Alumni Team in 2023 TBT
   Posted: 7/21/2023 3:45:16 PM 
Victory wrote:
I don't use the term "Roll Bobbies" but I'm not going to let it bother me. I'm fall into "middle aged" now and I don't want to be one of those guys that yells "Get off my lawn" as I get older. Young people can speak, or dress, or listen to whatever music.... that they want. Just because things are different than what I grew up with doesn't make it wrong unless actual testable evidence shows that it is actually harmful.

On the other hand I don't only hate "Ohio U", you could say I totally abhor it or whatever strong adjective comes to mind. I think that its use is usually done in a disrespectful context and only happens because Ohio State sometimes calls themselves Ohio. If Indiana State had "Indiana" in some of its slogans I doubt that some in the media would insist on calling Indiana University "Indiana U." for clarification. If we are called Ohio U. or Ohio University in the context where other schools also have U. or University in their names then it doesn't bother me at all. But If I see Ohio U. on a score ticker or something then I cringe.


Agree 110 percent on the "Ohio U" thing. I also don't like "Roll Bobbies," but to a much lesser extent. I don't see "Roll Bobbies" as an age-related issue. I know some younger people that don't like it either. It just has a tacky ring to it. I don't like O$U doing a knock-off on us, and I feel the same way about us trying to do a knock-off on Alabama.

[For SBH/bobcatsquared: I have a first-cousin who lives in Tuscaloosa. She's a retired librarian from U of A. She and her husband, a retired U of A physic professor, are big Tide fans. You should hear them yell, "Roll Tide" with a Minnesota accent!]


The only BLSS Certified Hypocrite on BA

"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 6,883

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio University Alumni Team in 2023 TBT
   Posted: 7/25/2023 6:13:48 PM 
I can see it now - s shuttle bus to the MAC championship with the words Roll Bobbies across the front.
Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 2,890

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio University Alumni Team in 2023 TBT
   Posted: 7/25/2023 7:48:53 PM 
I think our fanbase's obsession with the "Ohio U" thing is weird, little brother behavior and that the average Ohio State fan knows basically nothing about Ohio University, and certainly not enough to know that adding a "U" is somehow insulting to a small, particularly sensitive portion of fanbase.

Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 13,750

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio University Alumni Team in 2023 TBT
   Posted: 7/25/2023 9:36:53 PM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
I think our fanbase's obsession with the "Ohio U" thing is weird, little brother behavior and that the average Ohio State fan knows basically nothing about Ohio University, and certainly not enough to know that adding a "U" is somehow insulting to a small, particularly sensitive portion of fanbase.



Speaks to the average O$U fans lack of smarts, doesn't it?


The only BLSS Certified Hypocrite on BA

"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
GraffZ06
General User



Member Since: 1/5/2005
Location: Dayton, OH
Post Count: 1,539

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio University Alumni Team in 2023 TBT
   Posted: 7/25/2023 10:27:36 PM 
Alan Swank wrote:
I can see it now - s shuttle bus to the MAC championship with the words Roll Bobbies across the front.


And nothing but embarrassed Bobcat fans trying to hide their faces in disgust in the background.
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 13,750

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio University Alumni Team in 2023 TBT
   Posted: 7/26/2023 12:58:29 AM 
GraffZ06 wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
I can see it now - s shuttle bus to the MAC championship with the words Roll Bobbies across the front.


And nothing but embarrassed Bobcat fans trying to hide their faces in disgust in the background.


Yep, better no shuttle bus than that level of stupidity!


The only BLSS Certified Hypocrite on BA

"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
Deciduous Forest Cat
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Ohio
Post Count: 4,154

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio University Alumni Team in 2023 TBT
   Posted: 7/26/2023 7:21:41 AM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
I think our fanbase's obsession with the "Ohio U" thing is weird, little brother behavior and that the average Ohio State fan knows basically nothing about Ohio University, and certainly not enough to know that adding a "U" is somehow insulting to a small, particularly sensitive portion of fanbase.



I think it's the exact opposite. the only reason Ohio "U." existed was because previous administrations didn't take what was theirs. They accepted a nickname because they weren't strong enough to change things.
Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 2,890

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio University Alumni Team in 2023 TBT
   Posted: 7/26/2023 8:00:49 AM 
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
I think our fanbase's obsession with the "Ohio U" thing is weird, little brother behavior and that the average Ohio State fan knows basically nothing about Ohio University, and certainly not enough to know that adding a "U" is somehow insulting to a small, particularly sensitive portion of fanbase.



I think it's the exact opposite. the only reason Ohio "U." existed was because previous administrations didn't take what was theirs. They accepted a nickname because they weren't strong enough to change things.


I'm not sure what you mean by "it's the exact opposite" -- what's the opposite of what I said? That every OSU fan's obsessed with mid-90s trademark law and loves to throw out "Ohio U" to insult OU?

Why should any of this bother me as an Ohio fan?
Back to Top
  
M.D.W.S.T
General User



Member Since: 12/23/2021
Post Count: 838

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio University Alumni Team in 2023 TBT
   Posted: 7/26/2023 8:58:36 AM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
I think our fanbase's obsession with the "Ohio U" thing is weird, little brother behavior and that the average Ohio State fan knows basically nothing about Ohio University, and certainly not enough to know that adding a "U" is somehow insulting to a small, particularly sensitive portion of fanbase.



I think it's the exact opposite. the only reason Ohio "U." existed was because previous administrations didn't take what was theirs. They accepted a nickname because they weren't strong enough to change things.


I'm not sure what you mean by "it's the exact opposite" -- what's the opposite of what I said? That every OSU fan's obsessed with mid-90s trademark law and loves to throw out "Ohio U" to insult OU?

Why should any of this bother me as an Ohio fan?


Like many threads on this site, I'm not sure how we got here... BUT... nothing bothers me. Because I'm an adult.



GO OHIO U ROLLING BOBBIES



*edit*

I thought of one...

When people say University of Ohio.

That's just awful.

Last Edited: 7/26/2023 9:01:56 AM by M.D.W.S.T

Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 13,750

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio University Alumni Team in 2023 TBT
   Posted: 7/26/2023 11:43:17 AM 
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
I think our fanbase's obsession with the "Ohio U" thing is weird, little brother behavior and that the average Ohio State fan knows basically nothing about Ohio University, and certainly not enough to know that adding a "U" is somehow insulting to a small, particularly sensitive portion of fanbase.



I think it's the exact opposite. the only reason Ohio "U." existed was because previous administrations didn't take what was theirs. They accepted a nickname because they weren't strong enough to change things.


+1000

I don't usually agree with DFC, but when I do I feel like I just bought a six pack of Dos Equis.


The only BLSS Certified Hypocrite on BA

"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 2,890

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio University Alumni Team in 2023 TBT
   Posted: 7/26/2023 2:46:04 PM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
I think our fanbase's obsession with the "Ohio U" thing is weird, little brother behavior and that the average Ohio State fan knows basically nothing about Ohio University, and certainly not enough to know that adding a "U" is somehow insulting to a small, particularly sensitive portion of fanbase.



I think it's the exact opposite. the only reason Ohio "U." existed was because previous administrations didn't take what was theirs. They accepted a nickname because they weren't strong enough to change things.


+1000

I don't usually agree with DFC, but when I do I feel like I just bought a six pack of Dos Equis.


I'm lost.

Maybe I'm just not familiar enough with the case -- what are the things the previous administrations "weren't strong enough to change?"

We are most commonly referred to as Ohio, Ohio University, OU, and Ohio U in that order. Ohio U appears basically nowhere in official university merchandise; "Ohio" appears everywhere. We own the trademark for Ohio, not Ohio U. Ohio State, meanwhile, basically never goes simply by Ohio.

What don't we have that you all want, exactly? Still not seeing why people are so upset about this.
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 13,750

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio University Alumni Team in 2023 TBT
   Posted: 7/26/2023 3:41:00 PM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
I think our fanbase's obsession with the "Ohio U" thing is weird, little brother behavior and that the average Ohio State fan knows basically nothing about Ohio University, and certainly not enough to know that adding a "U" is somehow insulting to a small, particularly sensitive portion of fanbase.



I think it's the exact opposite. the only reason Ohio "U." existed was because previous administrations didn't take what was theirs. They accepted a nickname because they weren't strong enough to change things.


+1000

I don't usually agree with DFC, but when I do I feel like I just bought a six pack of Dos Equis.


I'm lost.

Maybe I'm just not familiar enough with the case -- what are the things the previous administrations "weren't strong enough to change?"

We are most commonly referred to as Ohio, Ohio University, OU, and Ohio U in that order. Ohio U appears basically nowhere in official university merchandise; "Ohio" appears everywhere. We own the trademark for Ohio, not Ohio U. Ohio State, meanwhile, basically never goes simply by Ohio.

What don't we have that you all want, exactly? Still not seeing why people are so upset about this.


I know you have a very good memory for previous posts. I've probably posted on this subject more than 150 times in last two decades, some with great historical detail. I don't have time right now to post in detail. Maybe someone who can do a better job than I at searching past my past posts on this subject can find one and repost it here.


The only BLSS Certified Hypocrite on BA

"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 2,890

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio University Alumni Team in 2023 TBT
   Posted: 7/26/2023 3:52:09 PM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
I think our fanbase's obsession with the "Ohio U" thing is weird, little brother behavior and that the average Ohio State fan knows basically nothing about Ohio University, and certainly not enough to know that adding a "U" is somehow insulting to a small, particularly sensitive portion of fanbase.



I think it's the exact opposite. the only reason Ohio "U." existed was because previous administrations didn't take what was theirs. They accepted a nickname because they weren't strong enough to change things.


+1000

I don't usually agree with DFC, but when I do I feel like I just bought a six pack of Dos Equis.


I'm lost.

Maybe I'm just not familiar enough with the case -- what are the things the previous administrations "weren't strong enough to change?"

We are most commonly referred to as Ohio, Ohio University, OU, and Ohio U in that order. Ohio U appears basically nowhere in official university merchandise; "Ohio" appears everywhere. We own the trademark for Ohio, not Ohio U. Ohio State, meanwhile, basically never goes simply by Ohio.

What don't we have that you all want, exactly? Still not seeing why people are so upset about this.


I know you have a very good memory for previous posts. I've probably posted on this subject more than 150 times in last two decades, some with great historical detail. I don't have time right now to post in detail. Maybe someone who can do a better job than I at searching past my past posts on this subject can find one and repost it here.


Your posts are unreliable and intellectually dishonest. Posters here -- including myself -- have caught you in lies repeatedly. I'm gonna go ahead and hold out for a better historical source than your post history.

Last Edited: 7/26/2023 3:53:58 PM by Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame

Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 13,750

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio University Alumni Team in 2023 TBT
   Posted: 7/26/2023 3:54:35 PM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
I think our fanbase's obsession with the "Ohio U" thing is weird, little brother behavior and that the average Ohio State fan knows basically nothing about Ohio University, and certainly not enough to know that adding a "U" is somehow insulting to a small, particularly sensitive portion of fanbase.



I think it's the exact opposite. the only reason Ohio "U." existed was because previous administrations didn't take what was theirs. They accepted a nickname because they weren't strong enough to change things.


+1000

I don't usually agree with DFC, but when I do I feel like I just bought a six pack of Dos Equis.


I'm lost.

Maybe I'm just not familiar enough with the case -- what are the things the previous administrations "weren't strong enough to change?"

We are most commonly referred to as Ohio, Ohio University, OU, and Ohio U in that order. Ohio U appears basically nowhere in official university merchandise; "Ohio" appears everywhere. We own the trademark for Ohio, not Ohio U. Ohio State, meanwhile, basically never goes simply by Ohio.

What don't we have that you all want, exactly? Still not seeing why people are so upset about this.


I know you have a very good memory for previous posts. I've probably posted on this subject more than 150 times in last two decades, some with great historical detail. I don't have time right now to post in detail. Maybe someone who can do a better job than I at searching past my past posts on this subject can find one and repost it here.


OK, here's one post I made back in 2018, not as long and as detailed as some, but it makes the point. This was in response to some statement by Alan Swank implying that Tom Boeh invented the "Ohio" thing. Earlier in this thread I had post an article from 1929 about an OHIO game in which we were referred to as Ohio numerous times. Here's the cut & paste of that post:

[Rant on] Special note for Alan Swank: Take a look at how many times on this page Ohio University is referred to just as "Ohio" not "Ohio U." You see these references didn't start with Tom Boeh, or even Vern Alden, who considered the term "Ohio U." almost a firing offense. These references are much older, even going back into the 1890s. This is why, if it had gone to court, Cowtown U. was going to lose its shirt, if not its pants. The term "Ohio U." developed after A&M started the name stealing and it was a way to say, "we are not them." It was defining us by who were weren't. Very negative branding. Now, we have taken our rightful name back . . . and A&M has signed off on the agreement and all of their press releases about games we play against them in any sport now call us "Ohio" at the same time they keep their inane O-H-i-O cheer, and those t-shirts with the hands spelling it out. But, that does conform to the letter of the agreement, if not the spirit. [/Rant off]


The only BLSS Certified Hypocrite on BA

"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 13,750

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio University Alumni Team in 2023 TBT
   Posted: 7/26/2023 3:57:00 PM 
Link to thread referenced above:

http://www.bobcatattack.com/messageboard/topic.asp?FromPa...


The only BLSS Certified Hypocrite on BA

"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 2,890

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio University Alumni Team in 2023 TBT
   Posted: 7/26/2023 4:03:41 PM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
I think our fanbase's obsession with the "Ohio U" thing is weird, little brother behavior and that the average Ohio State fan knows basically nothing about Ohio University, and certainly not enough to know that adding a "U" is somehow insulting to a small, particularly sensitive portion of fanbase.



I think it's the exact opposite. the only reason Ohio "U." existed was because previous administrations didn't take what was theirs. They accepted a nickname because they weren't strong enough to change things.


+1000

I don't usually agree with DFC, but when I do I feel like I just bought a six pack of Dos Equis.


I'm lost.

Maybe I'm just not familiar enough with the case -- what are the things the previous administrations "weren't strong enough to change?"

We are most commonly referred to as Ohio, Ohio University, OU, and Ohio U in that order. Ohio U appears basically nowhere in official university merchandise; "Ohio" appears everywhere. We own the trademark for Ohio, not Ohio U. Ohio State, meanwhile, basically never goes simply by Ohio.

What don't we have that you all want, exactly? Still not seeing why people are so upset about this.


I know you have a very good memory for previous posts. I've probably posted on this subject more than 150 times in last two decades, some with great historical detail. I don't have time right now to post in detail. Maybe someone who can do a better job than I at searching past my past posts on this subject can find one and repost it here.


OK, here's one post I made back in 2018, not as long and as detailed as some, but it makes the point. This was in response to some statement by Alan Swank implying that Tom Boeh invented the "Ohio" thing. Earlier in this thread I had post an article from 1929 about an OHIO game in which we were referred to as Ohio numerous times. Here's the cut & paste of that post:

[Rant on] Special note for Alan Swank: Take a look at how many times on this page Ohio University is referred to just as "Ohio" not "Ohio U." You see these references didn't start with Tom Boeh, or even Vern Alden, who considered the term "Ohio U." almost a firing offense. These references are much older, even going back into the 1890s. This is why, if it had gone to court, Cowtown U. was going to lose its shirt, if not its pants. The term "Ohio U." developed after A&M started the name stealing and it was a way to say, "we are not them." It was defining us by who were weren't. Very negative branding. Now, we have taken our rightful name back . . . and A&M has signed off on the agreement and all of their press releases about games we play against them in any sport now call us "Ohio" at the same time they keep their inane O-H-i-O cheer, and those t-shirts with the hands spelling it out. But, that does conform to the letter of the agreement, if not the spirit. [/Rant off]


I don't understand your point still, man.

The complaint here was that previous administrations "wouldn't take what's rightfully ours" -- doesn't what you posted just prove my point? That we have the trademark we want, and nobody calls us Ohio U?

To ask again: what are you actually upset about? I know you love being upset. But what, in particular, upsets you about this in 2023?
Back to Top
  
M.D.W.S.T
General User



Member Since: 12/23/2021
Post Count: 838

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio University Alumni Team in 2023 TBT
   Posted: 7/26/2023 4:15:36 PM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:


Your posts are unreliable and intellectually dishonest. Posters here -- including myself -- have caught you in lies repeatedly.


ASSAULT
Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 13,750

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio University Alumni Team in 2023 TBT
   Posted: 7/26/2023 11:44:37 PM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
I think our fanbase's obsession with the "Ohio U" thing is weird, little brother behavior and that the average Ohio State fan knows basically nothing about Ohio University, and certainly not enough to know that adding a "U" is somehow insulting to a small, particularly sensitive portion of fanbase.



I think it's the exact opposite. the only reason Ohio "U." existed was because previous administrations didn't take what was theirs. They accepted a nickname because they weren't strong enough to change things.


+1000

I don't usually agree with DFC, but when I do I feel like I just bought a six pack of Dos Equis.


I'm lost.

Maybe I'm just not familiar enough with the case -- what are the things the previous administrations "weren't strong enough to change?"

We are most commonly referred to as Ohio, Ohio University, OU, and Ohio U in that order. Ohio U appears basically nowhere in official university merchandise; "Ohio" appears everywhere. We own the trademark for Ohio, not Ohio U. Ohio State, meanwhile, basically never goes simply by Ohio.

What don't we have that you all want, exactly? Still not seeing why people are so upset about this.


I know you have a very good memory for previous posts. I've probably posted on this subject more than 150 times in last two decades, some with great historical detail. I don't have time right now to post in detail. Maybe someone who can do a better job than I at searching past my past posts on this subject can find one and repost it here.


OK, here's one post I made back in 2018, not as long and as detailed as some, but it makes the point. This was in response to some statement by Alan Swank implying that Tom Boeh invented the "Ohio" thing. Earlier in this thread I had post an article from 1929 about an OHIO game in which we were referred to as Ohio numerous times. Here's the cut & paste of that post:

[Rant on] Special note for Alan Swank: Take a look at how many times on this page Ohio University is referred to just as "Ohio" not "Ohio U." You see these references didn't start with Tom Boeh, or even Vern Alden, who considered the term "Ohio U." almost a firing offense. These references are much older, even going back into the 1890s. This is why, if it had gone to court, Cowtown U. was going to lose its shirt, if not its pants. The term "Ohio U." developed after A&M started the name stealing and it was a way to say, "we are not them." It was defining us by who were weren't. Very negative branding. Now, we have taken our rightful name back . . . and A&M has signed off on the agreement and all of their press releases about games we play against them in any sport now call us "Ohio" at the same time they keep their inane O-H-i-O cheer, and those t-shirts with the hands spelling it out. But, that does conform to the letter of the agreement, if not the spirit. [/Rant off]


I don't understand your point still, man.

The complaint here was that previous administrations "wouldn't take what's rightfully ours" -- doesn't what you posted just prove my point? That we have the trademark we want, and nobody calls us Ohio U?

To ask again: what are you actually upset about? I know you love being upset. But what, in particular, upsets you about this in 2023?


I don't get your not understanding. History didn't start with the Glidden administration. Before the O$U AD made a major misstep and sued us for the AttackCat logo with the arched OHIO, and then our lawyers responded, there were decades -- from roughly the mid 1930s through the early 1960s when we accepted our "second class citizenship" and ourselves used "Ohio U." The Bobcat mascot himself had a shirt that said, "Ohio U." That's what DFC meant, I think, by the lack of strength of several previous administrations. Prior to this "shameful period," we did call ourselves Ohio and the media did,too. The clipping in that link is but one example. Get it now?

Last Edited: 7/26/2023 11:47:30 PM by OhioCatFan


The only BLSS Certified Hypocrite on BA

"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 2,890

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio University Alumni Team in 2023 TBT
   Posted: 7/27/2023 5:22:53 AM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
OhioCatFan wrote:
Deciduous Forest Cat wrote:
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
I think our fanbase's obsession with the "Ohio U" thing is weird, little brother behavior and that the average Ohio State fan knows basically nothing about Ohio University, and certainly not enough to know that adding a "U" is somehow insulting to a small, particularly sensitive portion of fanbase.



I think it's the exact opposite. the only reason Ohio "U." existed was because previous administrations didn't take what was theirs. They accepted a nickname because they weren't strong enough to change things.


+1000

I don't usually agree with DFC, but when I do I feel like I just bought a six pack of Dos Equis.


I'm lost.

Maybe I'm just not familiar enough with the case -- what are the things the previous administrations "weren't strong enough to change?"

We are most commonly referred to as Ohio, Ohio University, OU, and Ohio U in that order. Ohio U appears basically nowhere in official university merchandise; "Ohio" appears everywhere. We own the trademark for Ohio, not Ohio U. Ohio State, meanwhile, basically never goes simply by Ohio.

What don't we have that you all want, exactly? Still not seeing why people are so upset about this.


I know you have a very good memory for previous posts. I've probably posted on this subject more than 150 times in last two decades, some with great historical detail. I don't have time right now to post in detail. Maybe someone who can do a better job than I at searching past my past posts on this subject can find one and repost it here.


OK, here's one post I made back in 2018, not as long and as detailed as some, but it makes the point. This was in response to some statement by Alan Swank implying that Tom Boeh invented the "Ohio" thing. Earlier in this thread I had post an article from 1929 about an OHIO game in which we were referred to as Ohio numerous times. Here's the cut & paste of that post:

[Rant on] Special note for Alan Swank: Take a look at how many times on this page Ohio University is referred to just as "Ohio" not "Ohio U." You see these references didn't start with Tom Boeh, or even Vern Alden, who considered the term "Ohio U." almost a firing offense. These references are much older, even going back into the 1890s. This is why, if it had gone to court, Cowtown U. was going to lose its shirt, if not its pants. The term "Ohio U." developed after A&M started the name stealing and it was a way to say, "we are not them." It was defining us by who were weren't. Very negative branding. Now, we have taken our rightful name back . . . and A&M has signed off on the agreement and all of their press releases about games we play against them in any sport now call us "Ohio" at the same time they keep their inane O-H-i-O cheer, and those t-shirts with the hands spelling it out. But, that does conform to the letter of the agreement, if not the spirit. [/Rant off]


I don't understand your point still, man.

The complaint here was that previous administrations "wouldn't take what's rightfully ours" -- doesn't what you posted just prove my point? That we have the trademark we want, and nobody calls us Ohio U?

To ask again: what are you actually upset about? I know you love being upset. But what, in particular, upsets you about this in 2023?


I don't get your not understanding. History didn't start with the Glidden administration. Before the O$U AD made a major misstep and sued us for the AttackCat logo with the arched OHIO, and then our lawyers responded, there were decades -- from roughly the mid 1930s through the early 1960s when we accepted our "second class citizenship" and ourselves used "Ohio U." The Bobcat mascot himself had a shirt that said, "Ohio U." That's what DFC meant, I think, by the lack of strength of several previous administrations. Prior to this "shameful period," we did call ourselves Ohio and the media did,too. The clipping in that link is but one example. Get it now?


No, I still don't get why something so insignificant that happened between 1930 and 1960 makes people upset on a message board in 2023.

And I still think it's weird little brother behavior that people think it's purposefully insulting when someone refers to us as "Ohio U", as if anybody knows or cares about the history of our trademark battle with Ohio State.

I could read 10,000 words on this (and you'll probably give me the chance) and not understand why anybody cares even a little bit. The truth of it is that we don't have a rivalry with Ohio State in any meaningful way -- at least not one that's felt both ways. We don't compete at the same level as them, rarely play them, and their fanbase doesn't think of us at all. We're just another MAC school to them.

This whole Ohio U trademark thing is just a small portion of our fanbase pretending that a decades old legal battle signifies a rivalry that doesn't exist. As I said, it's weird little brother sh*t. The idea that Ohio State fans think about this even 1% as often as you do is crazy, and the idea that anytime someone says "Ohio U" it's purposefully insulting is crazier.

Nobody cares about this but a very, very small portion of our fanbase who, for some reason, needs to feel like Ohio State cares about us.

Last Edited: 7/27/2023 6:34:38 AM by Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame

Back to Top
  
GraffZ06
General User



Member Since: 1/5/2005
Location: Dayton, OH
Post Count: 1,539

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio University Alumni Team in 2023 TBT
   Posted: 7/27/2023 9:31:13 AM 
Go anywhere outside Ohio and ask Johnny casual sports fan who is Ohio? I'll bet you $100 they say the Suckeyes.

That's the problem. Branding and perception matter.

Next, politely inform them that no that is O$U and they will look at you confused. Show them our logo, colors etc and they're likely to say something like "Bobcats eh? Oh Ohio U! Not Ohio STATE" as a means of differentiation.

Why? Because branding and perception matters, and they associate Ohio with O$U naturally.

Would any company be content with allowing a competitor to be colloquially known by their name, even if not officially?

What riles some up is when our own administration essentially admits defeat and then succumbs to alternative branding as a differentiator rather than fighting to enforce the proper branding so vigorously (see no more Ohio shirts or artwork spelled out in hands or body parts or script Ohio on the football field or O-H-I-O chants by fans) that eventually Johnny casual fan no longer automatically associates Suckeyes with Ohio but Bobcats instead.

It has nothing to do with athletic rivalries.
Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 2,890

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio University Alumni Team in 2023 TBT
   Posted: 7/27/2023 9:50:49 AM 
GraffZ06 wrote:
Go anywhere outside Ohio and ask Johnny casual sports fan who is Ohio? I'll bet you $100 they say the Suckeyes.

That's the problem. Branding and perception matter.

Next, politely inform them that no that is O$U and they will look at you confused. Show them our logo, colors etc and they're likely to say something like "Bobcats eh? Oh Ohio U! Not Ohio STATE" as a means of differentiation.

Why? Because branding and perception matters, and they associate Ohio with O$U naturally.

Would any company be content with allowing a competitor to be colloquially known by their name, even if not officially?

What riles some up is when our own administration essentially admits defeat and then succumbs to alternative branding as a differentiator rather than fighting to enforce the proper branding so vigorously (see no more Ohio shirts or artwork spelled out in hands or body parts or script Ohio on the football field or O-H-I-O chants by fans) that eventually Johnny casual fan no longer automatically associates Suckeyes with Ohio but Bobcats instead.

It has nothing to do with athletic rivalries.


Yes, I understand that the period between 1930 and 1960 was a very distressing time for Ohio U fans.

I just don't understand the continued sensitivity. Branding matters, of course. But it only really matters when it's coupled with a good distribution strategy. Johnny casual sports fan doesn't know the difference between us and OSU because Johnny casual sports fan doesn't care about the MAC, and we're not a national brand. And that we aren't has nothing to do with trademarks -- it has to do with budget, and that's not changing. Johnny casual sports fan knows the difference between Oklahoma and Oklahoma State; they know the difference between North Carolina State and North Carolina. And it's not confusing for them, even though their names share some words. They know because they see them on TV and stuff. If Johnny casual sports fan saw us, they'd know the difference.

Again, we own the trademark you all want us to own. Ohio U hasn't been part of our branding in a very long time. What riles you all up is in the distant past. The original poster said Ohio U is "only used as an insult" and that's just a ridiculous statement. We can't just will ourselves or our brand to national recognition; we need the budget and a "distribution" plan to build the recognition.

I assure you that the rest of the world doesn't care enough about this to use it as an insult. I know there's a type of person who is gonna find stuff to get upset about no matter what, and that's fine. But it doesn't make them either right or rational. Just sensitive about weird things.

Last Edited: 7/27/2023 10:01:27 AM by Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame

Back to Top
  
M.D.W.S.T
General User



Member Since: 12/23/2021
Post Count: 838

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio University Alumni Team in 2023 TBT
   Posted: 7/27/2023 10:57:54 AM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:

I just don't understand the continued sensitivity. Branding matters, of course. But it only really matters when it's coupled with a good distribution strategy. Johnny casual sports fan doesn't know the difference between us and OSU because Johnny casual sports fan doesn't care about the MAC, and we're not a national brand. And that we aren't has nothing to do with trademarks -- it has to do with budget, and that's not changing. Johnny casual sports fan knows the difference between Oklahoma and Oklahoma State; they know the difference between North Carolina State and North Carolina. And it's not confusing for them, even though their names share some words. They know because they see them on TV and stuff. If Johnny casual sports fan saw us, they'd know the difference.

Again, we own the trademark you all want us to own. Ohio U hasn't been part of our branding in a very long time. What riles you all up is in the distant past. The original poster said Ohio U is "only used as an insult" and that's just a ridiculous statement. We can't just will ourselves or our brand to national recognition; we need the budget and a "distribution" plan to build the recognition.

I assure you that the rest of the world doesn't care enough about this to use it as an insult. I know there's a type of person who is gonna find stuff to get upset about no matter what, and that's fine. But it doesn't make them either right or rational. Just sensitive about weird things.



You basically wrote everything I was going to write.

It's not 'brand', it's budget, it's eyes.

We can't compete with Ohio State when it comes to brand. Or eyes. They're arguably the biggest athletic team brand in America. They're on primetime constantly. That's in stone.

We CAN capitalize on the opportunities when they're presented.

It's the reason I was so ecstatic about being in the bowl with Barstool.

We have to think of other avenues to put ourselves out there, bc we don't have the budget or brand to compete with eyes on that level.

Barstool was a unique opportunity to go after that target demo. All the 15-35 year old eyes. Hundreds of millions of views, all over social media, all hammering home OHIO BOBCATS to that core group of hs/college/young adults. You could put us on ABC at 8PM, we're not drawing OSU numbers. We're just not. Put us on social media where people are scrolling for hours a day, we have the same opportunity for eyes. More often than not, we're getting more favorable coverage as this loveable team no one expects to be so good.

'Silly' things the older generation are quick to dismiss help. Even if subconsciously.

Last Edited: 7/27/2023 10:58:24 AM by M.D.W.S.T

Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 13,750

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Ohio University Alumni Team in 2023 TBT
   Posted: 7/27/2023 10:59:12 AM 
GraffZ06 wrote:
Go anywhere outside Ohio and ask Johnny casual sports fan who is Ohio? I'll bet you $100 they say the Suckeyes. . . .


While this is still true in many instances, it is getting better. When I'm on trips I often wear my Arched OHIO ball cap. That's all it says, just "OHIO" in green and white. I've found that an increasing percentage of people now know right away that it's Ohio University and not the junior institution in Columbus. Yes, I still run into some ignoramuses, and when I do I educate them. But, I've been pleasantly surprised at the number of folks who can now make the distinction between the two institutions.

In terms of BLSS's last post, I'm really much less concerned about educating the average Walmart O$U fan than I am about the rest of the nation. It has nothing to do with the number of times we play A&M. I do, however, relish our victories over them, when they do occur. The most recent I believe was in volleyball.



The only BLSS Certified Hypocrite on BA

"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  51 - 75  of 119 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Basketball' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             







Copyright ©2023 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties