Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Basketball
Topic:  RE: Basketball games not involving Ohio

Topic:  RE: Basketball games not involving Ohio
Author
Message
greencat
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 2,133

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Basketball games not involving Ohio
   Posted: 3/24/2024 10:24:11 PM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
100%Cat wrote:
Something I am noticing watching Alabama-Grand Canyon. GCU has some DUDES. They may be a mid major but they athletically match up with Alabama. When was the last time we had these kinds of athletes on our roster?


It is also an On-line university that has 100,000 students and is a for profit university. To your question when was the last time we had these kinds of athletes? Never, and that is largely because we do not have 100,000 tution paying students in an online model (yes they do have a campus), but they are a for profit university. In 2008, they had fewer than 2000 students, today, over 100k. You can not compare OHIO to Grand Canyon.


Jerry Colangelo has a net worth of $300 million and is the de facto "owner" of GCU basketball inc. They spend double what the second place team in their conference spends on hoops. And the "school" is tied for the worst academics in the nation per US News and World Report. Most of their players probably can't spell "Arizona" or spot it on a map. They are an embarrassment and the NCAA simply puts up with it because they have no integrity. People on here make fun of Kent State? GCU's (cough-cough) "academics" make Kent State look like Princeton.
Back to Top
  
GraffZ06
General User



Member Since: 1/5/2005
Location: Dayton, OH
Post Count: 1,947

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Basketball games not involving Ohio
   Posted: 3/25/2024 12:27:34 AM 
Hey I'm all for putting the student back into student-athlete, and stopping this NIL pay-for-play free agent wild west garbage.

But, given that it's the reality of the current situation, there's nothing GCU is doing that's wrong/illegal/unethical.

Sounds like their enrollment is killing ours. Sounds like their bank account is killing ours. Seems like the product they put out is killing ours too.

But sure, take the moral high-ground while they literally run circles around us.
Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 3,361

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Basketball games not involving Ohio
   Posted: 3/25/2024 7:48:41 AM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
100%Cat wrote:
Something I am noticing watching Alabama-Grand Canyon. GCU has some DUDES. They may be a mid major but they athletically match up with Alabama. When was the last time we had these kinds of athletes on our roster?


It is also an On-line university that has 100,000 students and is a for profit university. To your question when was the last time we had these kinds of athletes? Never, and that is largely because we do not have 100,000 tution paying students in an online model (yes they do have a campus), but they are a for profit university. In 2008, they had fewer than 2000 students, today, over 100k. You can not compare OHIO to Grand Canyon.


The NCAA doesn't give for profit schools eligibility. How did Grand Canyon get around that?
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 9,613

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Basketball games not involving Ohio
   Posted: 3/25/2024 8:40:45 AM 
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
100%Cat wrote:
Something I am noticing watching Alabama-Grand Canyon. GCU has some DUDES. They may be a mid major but they athletically match up with Alabama. When was the last time we had these kinds of athletes on our roster?


It is also an On-line university that has 100,000 students and is a for profit university. To your question when was the last time we had these kinds of athletes? Never, and that is largely because we do not have 100,000 tution paying students in an online model (yes they do have a campus), but they are a for profit university. In 2008, they had fewer than 2000 students, today, over 100k. You can not compare OHIO to Grand Canyon.


The NCAA doesn't give for profit schools eligibility. How did Grand Canyon get around that?


It is the ONLY one, but it's also got a string of law suits against the Department of Education, the FTC, Justice Department for denying their plans to restructure into a Non-Profit. Well technically, they did convert to non-profit, but the Feds are making them follow for profit rules. Which if you read about the cases, they want the physical body to be non-profit so they can avoid their $9.4 million in property taxes every year, then they subcontract all the departments to their for profit, publicly traded company.

Last Edited: 3/25/2024 8:47:09 AM by BillyTheCat

Back to Top
  
100%Cat
General User



Member Since: 1/17/2013
Post Count: 2,503

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Basketball games not involving Ohio
   Posted: 3/25/2024 8:49:28 AM 
It was just an observation on their "dudes." I mean, you can take shots at them for being ranked low as a university, but should we be immensely proud of our #178 ranking? We're ranked below Oxford, for crying out loud.

Back to basketball, the A&M-Houston game was massively entertaining. I had no rooting interest, but that game had me on the edge of my seat. Houston had 4 of 5 starters foul out, they were on fumes at the end of OT.

Last Edited: 3/25/2024 8:49:55 AM by 100%Cat

Back to Top
  
bobcatsquared
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 5,078

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Basketball games not involving Ohio
   Posted: 3/26/2024 10:05:13 PM 
Indiana St., playing in the NIT quarterfinals tonight, has a player by the name of Jayson Kent. Announcers said he's the son of former Ohio University player Jason Kent. Kind of remember OUr Kent, thinking he ended up leaving Ohio for Charleston (WVa). Anyone remember the years he was in Athens? I believe he played high school ball in Columbus, but I could be wrong. Good genes as his son Jayson is 6-7, several inches taller than what I remember his dad being, and has a daughter playing for defending national champs LSU.
Back to Top
  
greencat
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 2,133

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Basketball games not involving Ohio
   Posted: 3/26/2024 10:38:21 PM 
100%Cat wrote:
It was just an observation on their "dudes." I mean, you can take shots at them for being ranked low as a university, but should we be immensely proud of our #178 ranking? We're ranked below Oxford, for crying out loud.

Back to basketball, the A&M-Houston game was massively entertaining. I had no rooting interest, but that game had me on the edge of my seat. Houston had 4 of 5 starters foul out, they were on fumes at the end of OT.


#178 is Ivy League compared to where GCU is ranked.

According to US News, GCU is ranked in virtual a last place tie, #395-435 out of 439 National Universities. (Along with so-called "Liberty")

Belmont University is ranked #236 out of 439 National Universities. Far behind Ohio and Fiami. There is a misconception that because it's private and around the corner from Vanderbilt, that it's some sort of academic mecca. It's not.

UMass will be the only school in the MAC with higher rated academics than Ohio and Fiami when they join. Western Kentucky University is ranked #361 and almost joined. Middle Tennessee State University who blew that deal is ranked #304.

GCU is the only school ever to be ridiculed in a Borat movie.
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 9,613

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Basketball games not involving Ohio
   Posted: 3/27/2024 7:42:46 AM 
bobcatsquared wrote:
Indiana St., playing in the NIT quarterfinals tonight, has a player by the name of Jayson Kent. Announcers said he's the son of former Ohio University player Jason Kent. Kind of remember OUr Kent, thinking he ended up leaving Ohio for Charleston (WVa). Anyone remember the years he was in Athens? I believe he played high school ball in Columbus, but I could be wrong. Good genes as his son Jayson is 6-7, several inches taller than what I remember his dad being, and has a daughter playing for defending national champs LSU.


He was on the OHIO team in 92-94 before transferring to Charleston with Coach Jayson Gee. He's coached, ran clinics and scouted for various levels and currently trains and serves as a motivational speaker. And you are correct, in that Jason was from Columbus, East High School to be correct.
Back to Top
  
Jeff McKinney
Moderator

Member Since: 11/12/2004
Post Count: 6,082

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Basketball games not involving Ohio
   Posted: 3/27/2024 10:00:21 AM 
Greencat, isn't Buffalo rated above Ohio academically?
Back to Top
  
greencat
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 2,133

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Basketball games not involving Ohio
   Posted: 3/27/2024 10:17:08 AM 
Jeff McKinney wrote:
Greencat, isn't Buffalo rated above Ohio academically?


Sorry for the omission. They are top-100, still a bit behind UMass iirc.

But the top four in the MAC...UMass, Buffalo, Ohio and Fiami... are light years ahead of "schools" like GCU and so-called "Liberty." I was at an academic awards ceremony in December at Fiami for those who were just conferred with a master's in global biology and the head of the program was a Vanderbilt alum and very impressive.

These top four schools academically in the MAC have nothing to hang their heads about regrading the quality of education being provided.
Back to Top
  
JimLurker34
General User

Member Since: 12/7/2023
Location: McArthur, OH
Post Count: 190

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Basketball games not involving Ohio
   Posted: 3/27/2024 10:54:32 AM 
greencat, I know you like to bash Liberty, and in many ways I think that they deserve it as the school as been awash in really outrageous scandals in recent years. Just to be fair, I thought that I should mention that I've had contact with one Liberty graduate who wrote a master thesis that was really top notch. She is well prepared for doctoral work. Though Liberty may rank low overall, it appears that at least one department there is turning out well-prepared graduates.
Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 9,613

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Basketball games not involving Ohio
   Posted: 3/27/2024 8:01:55 PM 
JimLurker34 wrote:
greencat, I know you like to bash Liberty, and in many ways I think that they deserve it as the school as been awash in really outrageous scandals in recent years. Just to be fair, I thought that I should mention that I've had contact with one Liberty graduate who wrote a master thesis that was really top notch. She is well prepared for doctoral work. Though Liberty may rank low overall, it appears that at least one department there is turning out well-prepared graduates.


That is awesome and I am glad she obviously did not spend her spare time having dinner with the family on band night. Even the worse schools have success stories, it's because the person and despite the school.
Back to Top
  
GraffZ06
General User



Member Since: 1/5/2005
Location: Dayton, OH
Post Count: 1,947

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Basketball games not involving Ohio
   Posted: 3/27/2024 8:12:34 PM 
I've had nothing but really good interactions with Liberty grads and athletes, both at work and in personal life.
Back to Top
  
GroverBall
General User

Member Since: 12/3/2012
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 1,244

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Basketball games not involving Ohio
   Posted: 3/29/2024 12:36:53 AM 
Recognized Stevie Taylor on the Iowa State bench tonight, didn't realize he was there currently. Headed home, Illini had too much for the Cyclones.
Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Post Count: 6,971

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Basketball games not involving Ohio
   Posted: 3/29/2024 12:19:43 PM 
I don't really think people are against Liberty the school, per se, but more or less how they unabashedly hired former Baylor AD Ian McCaw to run their athletic department and the guy who hired him, Jerry Falwell, also had his own sex scandal which caused him to resign. Just seems like a bunch of shady people running that place.
Back to Top
  
100%Cat
General User



Member Since: 1/17/2013
Post Count: 2,503

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Basketball games not involving Ohio
   Posted: 3/29/2024 12:27:34 PM 
Alabama-UNC was one of the best games I have seen all year. Lots of back and forth, lead changes, ties, runs by both teams...truly felt like both teams could have won and I sort of felt cheated that it didn't go to OT.
Back to Top
  
GraffZ06
General User



Member Since: 1/5/2005
Location: Dayton, OH
Post Count: 1,947

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Basketball games not involving Ohio
   Posted: 3/29/2024 2:51:59 PM 
How about the run and job former Wright St head coach Brad Brownell is doing down in Clemson. Did not see that one coming. Good for him!
Back to Top
  
Casper71
General User

Member Since: 12/1/2006
Post Count: 2,896

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Basketball games not involving Ohio
   Posted: 4/8/2024 11:48:52 PM 
After watching the final game. All I can say is give me 5 to 7 players that can play the game. Ithey showed you donít need any 8 or 9 man rotation to be successful!
Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 6,226

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Basketball games not involving Ohio
   Posted: 4/8/2024 11:50:54 PM 
Give me 13 players who are ready, healthy, and go to class.
Back to Top
  
WxM
General User

Member Since: 1/21/2020
Post Count: 177

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Basketball games not involving Ohio
   Posted: 4/9/2024 8:36:21 AM 
Casper71 wrote:
After watching the final game. All I can say is give me 5 to 7 players that can play the game. Ithey showed you donít need any 8 or 9 man rotation to be successful!

Hope you're willing to write a check big enough for each of those players. Otherwise, you'll have to settle for doing it the old-fashioned, honest way and being runner-up.
Back to Top
  
Casper71
General User

Member Since: 12/1/2006
Post Count: 2,896

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Basketball games not involving Ohio
   Posted: 4/9/2024 2:34:39 PM 
I refuse to believe that in a four year period we canít find seven good Mac level players. My whole point was I think we go way too deep when we play 8 9 or 10 guys. As we all saw this year or ninth and 10th players were really not good enough to play at the Mac level.
Back to Top
  
bobcatsquared
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 5,078

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Basketball games not involving Ohio
   Posted: 4/9/2024 4:41:18 PM 
Starting to come around to Casper's way of thinking.

I was checking some of the box scores in the women's quarter-, semi- and finals and noticed a few players per team with 40 minutes or close to 40 minutes played. Not so much on the men's side. Probably a reasonable reason for that. Or just different coaching strategies?

Last Edited: 4/9/2024 4:41:39 PM by bobcatsquared

Back to Top
  
GraffZ06
General User



Member Since: 1/5/2005
Location: Dayton, OH
Post Count: 1,947

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Basketball games not involving Ohio
   Posted: 4/9/2024 8:27:16 PM 
bobcatsquared wrote:
Starting to come around to Casper's way of thinking.

I was checking some of the box scores in the women's quarter-, semi- and finals and noticed a few players per team with 40 minutes or close to 40 minutes played. Not so much on the men's side. Probably a reasonable reason for that. Or just different coaching strategies?


UConn women only had 8 players due to injuries. Their starting 5 all played 32+ minutes even before the tourney.
Back to Top
  
M.D.W.S.T
General User



Member Since: 12/23/2021
Post Count: 1,896

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Basketball games not involving Ohio
   Posted: 4/15/2024 8:01:23 PM 
Is Ajay at the WNBA Draft? Looks like Jacey is about to be a top pick. Pretty cool.
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  326 - 349  of 349 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14
View Other 'Ohio Basketball' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             







Copyright ©2024 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties