Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Basketball
Topic:  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th

Topic:  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
Author
Message
M.D.W.S.T
General User



Member Since: 12/23/2021
Post Count: 1,896

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 5/15/2024 11:40:54 AM 
GoCats105 wrote:
M.D.W.S.T wrote:


but his size and athleticism is something we haven't had in Athens... ever...


The Mo N'Dour slander is real.


Oh man how could I forget.

He's the reason I still clamor for JUCO beasts.
Back to Top
  
SBH
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,801

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 5/15/2024 11:47:28 AM 
Even though he demanded a $50K payment? (Allegedly.)

Back to Top
  
FearLeon
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 4,187

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 5/15/2024 12:09:11 PM 
FJC31 wrote:
FearLeon wrote:
FJC31 wrote:
FearLeon wrote:
M.D.W.S.T wrote:
Victory wrote:
I think the best bet on the game 1 starting lineup would be Paveletzke, Mitchell, Brown, Hadaway, Clayton. I suspect that most of the board would guess the same. James started 18 games last year. Ayden Evans was a 4 star recruit. We have two more three star recruits plus one more scholarship to fill......


My expectations for Evans are already unfair to him, but boy do I expect some huge minutes and major impact.

Not expecting Enrique Freeman [from day one ;)] but his size and athleticism is something we haven't had in Athens... ever... crazy to think we could go from starting last season with a 6'4" four man, to a line-up of 6'4", 6'4", 6'8", 6'9", 6'10"... wowsers.


I have high hopes for Ayden as well. I just don't see anymore than 8-10 per game minutes his freshman year...if we are lucky.


Weíre gonna have to hope for 10-15 if more size isnít brought in. That said, I do see him eased in and pending how he handles is, an uptick by conference play.


The reason why I said 8-10 minutes is because Iím thinking we are going to add one more big and I have concern about his frame. He will put on weight obviously, but do I see him getting 20 minutes per game with his current frame as a true froshÖ.I donítÖ.but I wouldnít mind being wrong in this case.


I figured and Iím hoping another big is brought in too. Itís officially May 15th and a lot of the guys we may have been tied/in contact with are finding homes.



I told myself that if we did not have our last scholarship filled with a portal big by May 15th, then we start wondering if this is Groundhog Day all over again from a year ago. Boals has come out of left field with keeping Paveletzke, Searls and Elliott signings under the radar. Hope he has one more up his sleeve .

Last Edited: 5/15/2024 12:32:59 PM by FearLeon


#BleedGreen #TrentIsGOAT

Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 1,312

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 5/15/2024 1:49:26 PM 
Daniel Nixon to Hampton.
Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 6,226

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 5/15/2024 2:25:29 PM 
I think that was the only firm offer he got.
Back to Top
  
M.D.W.S.T
General User



Member Since: 12/23/2021
Post Count: 1,896

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 5/15/2024 3:11:47 PM 
SBH wrote:
Even though he demanded a $50K payment? (Allegedly.)



$50K couldn't even keep Quinn Corna these days, let alone an NBA talent.
Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 6,226

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 5/15/2024 8:16:54 PM 
Langdon Hatton to Indiana. If Peyton Sparks couldn't get run there, I don't know how this guy will.
Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 1,312

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 5/16/2024 7:50:40 AM 
shabamon wrote:
Langdon Hatton to Indiana. If Peyton Sparks couldn't get run there, I don't know how this guy will.


Iíd guess the hope is he can build on a career year from 3 and continue to have that outside ability. Otherwise, Iíd agree. Heís probably an 8-10 minute a game player for them.
Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 1,312

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 5/16/2024 7:53:55 AM 
FearLeon wrote:
FJC31 wrote:
FearLeon wrote:
FJC31 wrote:
FearLeon wrote:
M.D.W.S.T wrote:
Victory wrote:
I think the best bet on the game 1 starting lineup would be Paveletzke, Mitchell, Brown, Hadaway, Clayton. I suspect that most of the board would guess the same. James started 18 games last year. Ayden Evans was a 4 star recruit. We have two more three star recruits plus one more scholarship to fill......


My expectations for Evans are already unfair to him, but boy do I expect some huge minutes and major impact.

Not expecting Enrique Freeman [from day one ;)] but his size and athleticism is something we haven't had in Athens... ever... crazy to think we could go from starting last season with a 6'4" four man, to a line-up of 6'4", 6'4", 6'8", 6'9", 6'10"... wowsers.


I have high hopes for Ayden as well. I just don't see anymore than 8-10 per game minutes his freshman year...if we are lucky.


Weíre gonna have to hope for 10-15 if more size isnít brought in. That said, I do see him eased in and pending how he handles is, an uptick by conference play.


The reason why I said 8-10 minutes is because Iím thinking we are going to add one more big and I have concern about his frame. He will put on weight obviously, but do I see him getting 20 minutes per game with his current frame as a true froshÖ.I donítÖ.but I wouldnít mind being wrong in this case.


I figured and Iím hoping another big is brought in too. Itís officially May 15th and a lot of the guys we may have been tied/in contact with are finding homes.



I told myself that if we did not have our last scholarship filled with a portal big by May 15th, then we start wondering if this is Groundhog Day all over again from a year ago. Boals has come out of left field with keeping Paveletzke, Searls and Elliott signings under the radar. Hope he has one more up his sleeve .


For sure. Iíd even take another Searls (grad transfer/1 year remaining) just for the rotational depth.
Back to Top
  
bobcatsquared
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 5,078

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 5/16/2024 1:13:49 PM 
It was SBH who shared on here in May, 2023, about a 6-10 player not currently on the roster who he saw on an outside volleyball court on campus. This player was supposedly the big man in the transfer portal we were all expecting to join the Bobcat roster. I assume this player ended up at either UNC or WMU.

Now, one year later, it is SBH telling us about what his son told him. Something about Boals expecting to sign another big man before the end of the portal.

Looking more and more like deja vu with each passing day.

Hoping for no speculative news from SBH in spring of 2025.

Last Edited: 5/16/2024 1:15:32 PM by bobcatsquared

Back to Top
  
SBH
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,801

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 5/16/2024 1:20:48 PM 
Kid is last year was a very tall incoming medical student.
Back to Top
  
bobcatsquared
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 5,078

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 5/16/2024 4:40:03 PM 
Oh yeah - the much-talked about, ballyhooed, and highly-anticipated medical student listed at 6-10.
Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 1,312

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 5/17/2024 7:03:19 AM 
Did anyone go to the Athens caravan Wednesday? Two more opportunities this month to find out anything more of from Boals about the last schollie.
Back to Top
  
100%Cat
General User



Member Since: 1/17/2013
Post Count: 2,503

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 5/17/2024 8:38:47 AM 
At this point, I'll believe that last spot gets filled when I see it happen.
Back to Top
  
SBH
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 3,801

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 5/17/2024 10:38:32 AM 
I heard Boals focused on scheduling in his remarks. He's trying to get OSU to add us this year.
Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 1,312

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 5/17/2024 10:57:31 AM 
SBH wrote:
I heard Boals focused on scheduling in his remarks. He's trying to get OSU to add us this year.


I get the feeling that schollie is getting banked, pending a surprise. Anything on Myrtle Beach? Getting that type of tourney and some P5 games would be incredible. With all the returnees, this would be the season to do so.
Back to Top
  
FearLeon
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 4,187

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 5/17/2024 1:09:12 PM 
FJC31 wrote:
SBH wrote:
I heard Boals focused on scheduling in his remarks. He's trying to get OSU to add us this year.


I get the feeling that schollie is getting banked, pending a surprise. Anything on Myrtle Beach? Getting that type of tourney and some P5 games would be incredible. With all the returnees, this would be the season to do so.


I really hope itís not being banked, but Iím getting concerned. Just donít see how we think we can rely on just Searls and Evans as our only ďbigsĒíadds.


#BleedGreen #TrentIsGOAT

Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Post Count: 6,971

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 5/17/2024 2:44:04 PM 
FearLeon wrote:
FJC31 wrote:
SBH wrote:
I heard Boals focused on scheduling in his remarks. He's trying to get OSU to add us this year.


I get the feeling that schollie is getting banked, pending a surprise. Anything on Myrtle Beach? Getting that type of tourney and some P5 games would be incredible. With all the returnees, this would be the season to do so.


I really hope itís not being banked, but Iím getting concerned. Just donít see how we think we can rely on just Searls and Evans as our only ďbigsĒíadds.


I don't really understand the banking of a scholarship mentality but it feels like we've been doing that a lot lately.
Back to Top
  
Victory
General User

Member Since: 3/10/2012
Post Count: 1,947

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 5/17/2024 3:35:02 PM 
GoCats105 wrote:
I don't really understand the banking of a scholarship mentality but it feels like we've been doing that a lot lately.


I'd guess if you don't have a kid that you think has any chance to play that it isn't worth the time and money. Part of that would be why you rarely see a school have more than two walk-ons and almost never more than three but in this case it also saves tuition and other expenses.

I assume there are also might be kids that graduate high-school after the fall semester that you could sign early if you have a scholarship.
Back to Top
  
Andrew Ruck
General User



Member Since: 12/22/2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 4,764

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 5/17/2024 5:06:01 PM 
Dumb question, could a school decide to just use say 10 scholarships and repurpose those other 3 allotted scholarships to NIL? Probably not...2 different buckets. But I could get on board with that approach. I just think you'd have an easier time getting higher end talent with a tighter roster. It seems like any given year there are 3-4 scholarships wasting away (insert Ezuma joke here)


Andrew Ruck
B.B.A. 2003

Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 1,312

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 5/17/2024 5:09:13 PM 
Victory wrote:
GoCats105 wrote:
I don't really understand the banking of a scholarship mentality but it feels like we've been doing that a lot lately.


I'd guess if you don't have a kid that you think has any chance to play that it isn't worth the time and money. Part of that would be why you rarely see a school have more than two walk-ons and almost never more than three but in this case it also saves tuition and other expenses.

I assume there are also might be kids that graduate high-school after the fall semester that you could sign early if you have a scholarship.


I see both sides. But in this era where itís year-to-year (weíve been lucky), Iíd try go ďall inĒ each season. At least thatís what I was hoping for with us this season having so much continuity and upperclassmen returning.
Back to Top
  
colobobcat66
General User

Member Since: 9/1/2006
Location: Watching the bobcats run outside my window., CO
Post Count: 4,206

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 5/17/2024 8:17:10 PM 
FJC31 wrote:
Victory wrote:
GoCats105 wrote:
I don't really understand the banking of a scholarship mentality but it feels like we've been doing that a lot lately.


I'd guess if you don't have a kid that you think has any chance to play that it isn't worth the time and money. Part of that would be why you rarely see a school have more than two walk-ons and almost never more than three but in this case it also saves tuition and other expenses.

I assume there are also might be kids that graduate high-school after the fall semester that you could sign early if you have a scholarship.


I see both sides. But in this era where itís year-to-year (weíve been lucky), Iíd try go ďall inĒ each season. At least thatís what I was hoping for with us this season having so much continuity and upperclassmen returning.


I guess I canít believe that out of hundreds of transfers and doors closing everywhere day by day that we canít find someone who could help us. Just saying
Back to Top
  
OUcat
General User

Member Since: 10/13/2011
Post Count: 105

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 5/17/2024 8:48:06 PM 
Andrew Ruck wrote:
Dumb question, could a school decide to just use say 10 scholarships and repurpose those other 3 allotted scholarships to NIL? Probably not...2 different buckets. But I could get on board with that approach. I just think you'd have an easier time getting higher end talent with a tighter roster. It seems like any given year there are 3-4 scholarships wasting away (insert Ezuma joke here)


Duke often did exactly that .. under coach K

Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 1,312

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 5/18/2024 7:41:41 AM 
colobobcat66 wrote:
FJC31 wrote:
Victory wrote:
GoCats105 wrote:
I don't really understand the banking of a scholarship mentality but it feels like we've been doing that a lot lately.


I'd guess if you don't have a kid that you think has any chance to play that it isn't worth the time and money. Part of that would be why you rarely see a school have more than two walk-ons and almost never more than three but in this case it also saves tuition and other expenses.

I assume there are also might be kids that graduate high-school after the fall semester that you could sign early if you have a scholarship.


I see both sides. But in this era where itís year-to-year (weíve been lucky), Iíd try go ďall inĒ each season. At least thatís what I was hoping for with us this season having so much continuity and upperclassmen returning.


I guess I canít believe that out of hundreds of transfers and doors closing everywhere day by day that we canít find someone who could help us. Just saying


+1. If we donít again, itís a question Iíd love to learn the answer to.
Back to Top
  
FearLeon
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 4,187

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 5/18/2024 12:29:51 PM 
FJC31 wrote:
colobobcat66 wrote:
FJC31 wrote:
Victory wrote:
GoCats105 wrote:
I don't really understand the banking of a scholarship mentality but it feels like we've been doing that a lot lately.


I'd guess if you don't have a kid that you think has any chance to play that it isn't worth the time and money. Part of that would be why you rarely see a school have more than two walk-ons and almost never more than three but in this case it also saves tuition and other expenses.

I assume there are also might be kids that graduate high-school after the fall semester that you could sign early if you have a scholarship.


I see both sides. But in this era where itís year-to-year (weíve been lucky), Iíd try go ďall inĒ each season. At least thatís what I was hoping for with us this season having so much continuity and upperclassmen returning.


I guess I canít believe that out of hundreds of transfers and doors closing everywhere day by day that we canít find someone who could help us. Just saying


+1. If we donít again, itís a question Iíd love to learn the answer to.


Yup...I find it hard to believe with the number of players in the portal that we can't find a 6'8 Division-One basketball player that can give us 8-12 minutes per game. It would then give us Searls, Evans and TBD to fight for the minutes. I'd have more confidence going into next season with three bigs instead of two.

Last Edited: 5/18/2024 12:30:20 PM by FearLeon


#BleedGreen #TrentIsGOAT

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  626 - 650  of 748 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Basketball' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             







Copyright ©2024 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties