Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
Ohio Basketball
Topic:  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th

Topic:  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
Author
Message
FearLeon
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 4,187

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 6/3/2024 11:37:30 AM 
Bobcat1998 wrote:
FearLeon wrote:
GraffZ06 wrote:
FearLeon wrote:
It’s June 1st and still no additional big add from portal or HS ranks. If we don’t get Kuany, it sure looks like we are rolling with Vic and Ayden down low for next season. It’s getting late.


You may not like it. I may not like it. But that's an unfair statement when AJ Clayton is going to be our starting center.

We're rolling with Clayton, Evans, Searls and maybe Kuany/other.


Yup…well aware that Clayton is our starting center, even though he’s not a true center. I’m talking about the “bigs” depth coming off the bench.


I have no problem with a starting lineup of:
PG: Shereef Mitchell
SG: Jackson Pavezeltke
C: AJ Clayton
PF: Aidan Hadaway
SF: AJ Brown

With a bench of:
PG: Elijah Elliot
SG: Ajay Sheldon
C: Vic Searls
PF: Ben Nichol
SF: Elmore James

With Burris, Evans and Evans getting some time here and there. Last year we had way less behind Clayton so having Searls and Evans will be an upgrade and the guys off the bench around those two are going to be much better.


Don't you see Jackson playing more point than Reef?


Last Edited: 6/4/2024 12:10:03 PM by FearLeon


#BleedGreen #TrentIsGOAT

Back to Top
  
Victory
General User

Member Since: 3/10/2012
Post Count: 1,947

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 6/3/2024 1:36:56 PM 
FearLeon wrote:


Don't you see Jackson playing more point that Reef?



Like, I said, I agree with his starting lineup but I think you are right that it will very likely be reversed in the position of the guards.
Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 6,226

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 6/4/2024 2:12:54 PM 
26 D1 schools still have four or more open scholarships. Maryland Eastern Shore still has 11 (!) openings.
Back to Top
  
71 BOBCAT
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 1,861

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 6/4/2024 3:55:24 PM 
I am hoping that AJ Brown has completely recovered and is able to display all his talents.





71 BOBCAT

Last Edited: 6/4/2024 3:55:57 PM by 71 BOBCAT

Back to Top
  
Bobcat1998
General User

Member Since: 11/7/2012
Post Count: 2,253

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 6/5/2024 6:23:18 AM 
WE GOT KUANY!!!! Check his Twitter. Full team now with a great freshman battle sizing up between Kuany and Evans!
Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 1,312

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 6/5/2024 7:02:24 AM 
Bobcat1998 wrote:
WE GOT KUANY!!!! Check his Twitter. Full team now with a great freshman battle sizing up between Kuany and Evans!


Yep, official.

https://x.com/kuanykiir7/status/1798210598829981771?s=46&...
Back to Top
  
Andrew Ruck
General User



Member Since: 12/22/2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Post Count: 4,764

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 6/5/2024 7:57:30 AM 
With both Kuany & Elliott...coach may be tempted to stick with a smaller lineup with no true in the paint big men. Searls may be a matchup guy where sometimes he is DNP and others he gets 20 mins.

I'd really like to see Evans/Elliott/Kuany get significant minutes but that is going to be tough to do. Lots of talent to try to keep happy, good problem to have!


Andrew Ruck
B.B.A. 2003

Back to Top
  
bobcatsquared
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Post Count: 5,078

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 6/5/2024 8:06:33 AM 
Based on Ted's recruiting grid, AJB got a redshirt year last season and Clayton does not get a COVID redshirt year. Sounds correct?
Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 1,312

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 6/5/2024 8:22:03 AM 
Andrew Ruck wrote:
With both Kuany & Elliott...coach may be tempted to stick with a smaller lineup with no true in the paint big men. Searls may be a matchup guy where sometimes he is DNP and others he gets 20 mins.

I'd really like to see Evans/Elliott/Kuany get significant minutes but that is going to be tough to do. Lots of talent to try to keep happy, good problem to have!


I'm not seeing the logic of Kuany and Elliot having an impact on playing small ball again and limiting Searls minutes to matchups. Especially for a team that got pummeled on the boards a season ago. Wiz played 14mpg, Searls gets at least that.

TBD on how it shakes out between the three freshman, but all of our adds this offseason address our weaknesses from last year. Elliot is a true facilitator and Searls/Evans/Kuany provide size off the bench. It would absolutely asinine to attempt playing a smaller lineup again at any point next season. It didn't work for us.
Back to Top
  
Ted Thompson
Administrator



Member Since: 11/11/2004
Location: MAC Play
Post Count: 7,448

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 6/5/2024 8:46:38 AM 
bobcatsquared wrote:
Based on Ted's recruiting grid, AJB got a redshirt year last season and Clayton does not get a COVID redshirt year. Sounds correct?


I think the 2020 class was the last COVID class. AJB met all the requirements for redshirt and is listed as a redshirt sophomore on the OhioBobcats.com website. But COVID and transfer portal has me so confused that I just stopped trying to do the football grid. So any corrections are appreciated.


Follow Ohio Football recruiting on the BobcatAttack.com football recruiting database.

Back to Top
  
M.D.W.S.T
General User



Member Since: 12/23/2021
Post Count: 1,896

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 6/5/2024 8:57:11 AM 
shabamon wrote:
26 D1 schools still have four or more open scholarships. Maryland Eastern Shore still has 11 (!) openings.


I still have eligibility left, coach. Can easily work on my PhD while being a sneaky fast fundamentals guy. Will bring my lunch pale every day.
Back to Top
  
FearLeon
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 4,187

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 6/5/2024 9:30:53 AM 
Bobcat1998 wrote:
WE GOT KUANY!!!! Check his Twitter. Full team now with a great freshman battle sizing up between Kuany and Evans!


LFG!!

Nice to have “bigs” depth heading into the season. Just feels like a fantastic late add in Kuany.


#BleedGreen #TrentIsGOAT

Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 6,226

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 6/5/2024 10:14:40 AM 
There are still lots of schools looking for quality bigs in the portal, including power conference schools. It's not uncommon to see something like a 6'10" guy who averaged 8/4 in the MAAC transfer into the Big East.

Good to not overdo it in a bidding war with someone who may or may not help and is only with us in the short term. It may work out that Kuany is better this year than any transfer big we could realistically land at this stage. Not to mention the upside on a longer timeline provided he stays.

Last Edited: 6/5/2024 10:17:06 AM by shabamon

Back to Top
  
100%Cat
General User



Member Since: 1/17/2013
Post Count: 2,503

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 6/5/2024 10:32:10 AM 
FearLeon wrote:
Bobcat1998 wrote:
WE GOT KUANY!!!! Check his Twitter. Full team now with a great freshman battle sizing up between Kuany and Evans!


LFG!!

Nice to have “bigs” depth heading into the season. Just feels like a fantastic late add in Kuany.


Agreed! This is awesome news.
Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 1,312

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 6/5/2024 11:33:14 AM 
shabamon wrote:
There are still lots of schools looking for quality bigs in the portal, including power conference schools. It's not uncommon to see something like a 6'10" guy who averaged 8/4 in the MAAC transfer into the Big East.

Good to not overdo it in a bidding war with someone who may or may not help and is only with us in the short term. It may work out that Kuany is better this year than any transfer big we could realistically land at this stage. Not to mention the upside on a longer timeline provided he stays.


I'm seeing that a lot as well. Also noticing some familiar names a year ago who had to settle for JUCO, finding much bigger opportunities than I would have thought this time around.

Proven size is valued like a QB/Edge in football. I like the bigs we added. I know we're not sure what to expect out of Evans/Kuany as freshman, but is it unrealistic for them to combine for Javan Simmons (Toledo) numbers (12ppg, 5rpg) off the bench?

Both had more and better offers than Simmons did. According to 247, Simmons only had Toledo and Miami.

Last Edited: 6/5/2024 11:34:32 AM by FJC31

Back to Top
  
M.D.W.S.T
General User



Member Since: 12/23/2021
Post Count: 1,896

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 6/5/2024 1:10:55 PM 
FJC31 wrote:
shabamon wrote:
There are still lots of schools looking for quality bigs in the portal, including power conference schools. It's not uncommon to see something like a 6'10" guy who averaged 8/4 in the MAAC transfer into the Big East.

Good to not overdo it in a bidding war with someone who may or may not help and is only with us in the short term. It may work out that Kuany is better this year than any transfer big we could realistically land at this stage. Not to mention the upside on a longer timeline provided he stays.


I'm seeing that a lot as well. Also noticing some familiar names a year ago who had to settle for JUCO, finding much bigger opportunities than I would have thought this time around.

Proven size is valued like a QB/Edge in football. I like the bigs we added. I know we're not sure what to expect out of Evans/Kuany as freshman, but is it unrealistic for them to combine for Javan Simmons (Toledo) numbers (12ppg, 5rpg) off the bench?

Both had more and better offers than Simmons did. According to 247, Simmons only had Toledo and Miami.


Are we talking about a different Kuany? Cause ol' boy is like a 6th year senior.
Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 1,312

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 6/5/2024 1:55:02 PM 
M.D.W.S.T wrote:
FJC31 wrote:
shabamon wrote:
There are still lots of schools looking for quality bigs in the portal, including power conference schools. It's not uncommon to see something like a 6'10" guy who averaged 8/4 in the MAAC transfer into the Big East.

Good to not overdo it in a bidding war with someone who may or may not help and is only with us in the short term. It may work out that Kuany is better this year than any transfer big we could realistically land at this stage. Not to mention the upside on a longer timeline provided he stays.


I'm seeing that a lot as well. Also noticing some familiar names a year ago who had to settle for JUCO, finding much bigger opportunities than I would have thought this time around.

Proven size is valued like a QB/Edge in football. I like the bigs we added. I know we're not sure what to expect out of Evans/Kuany as freshman, but is it unrealistic for them to combine for Javan Simmons (Toledo) numbers (12ppg, 5rpg) off the bench?

Both had more and better offers than Simmons did. According to 247, Simmons only had Toledo and Miami.


Are we talking about a different Kuany? Cause ol' boy is like a 6th year senior.


You might be thinking of Kiir’s brother Kuany Kuany. Former VCU/Cal player. Kiir is an incoming freshman, although played prep ball.
Back to Top
  
Victory
General User

Member Since: 3/10/2012
Post Count: 1,947

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 6/5/2024 2:14:59 PM 
This is an excellent recruiting class. Nicol is going to also be listed as a freshman along with the tow new walk-ons.

I wonder if at some point of this year's exhibition if we'll see Elliot, Burris, Nicol, Kuany, and Evans on the floor together.
Back to Top
  
Bobcat1998
General User

Member Since: 11/7/2012
Post Count: 2,253

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 6/5/2024 6:18:24 PM 
Victory wrote:
This is an excellent recruiting class. Nicol is going to also be listed as a freshman along with the tow new walk-ons.

I wonder if at some point of this year's exhibition if we'll see Elliot, Burris, Nicol, Kuany, and Evans on the floor together.


Never.
Back to Top
  
GoCats105
General User

Member Since: 1/31/2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Post Count: 6,971

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 6/5/2024 6:44:58 PM 
Bobcat1998 wrote:
Victory wrote:
This is an excellent recruiting class. Nicol is going to also be listed as a freshman along with the tow new walk-ons.

I wonder if at some point of this year's exhibition if we'll see Elliot, Burris, Nicol, Kuany, and Evans on the floor together.


Never.


The scrimmage against *insert local D2 school*.
Back to Top
  
MonroeClassmate
General User

Member Since: 8/31/2010
Post Count: 2,017

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 6/5/2024 7:22:13 PM 
Victory wrote:
FearLeon wrote:


Don't you see Jackson playing more point that Reef?



Like, I said, I agree with his starting lineup but I think you are right that it will very likely be reversed in the position of the guards.


OHIO lost one significant player from the starting lineup (Hunter to graduation). The team until late in the season was mediocre losing to Cleveland State, Youngstown State, Marshall, Austin Peay, BGSU and Western before righting the ship. (lost to others but I consider those teams superior to the already mentioned teams)

Why would the same line-up minus Hunter but a new guard be much better than last year? Some of the guys who saw significant minutes need to either improve significantly or lose minutes to newcomers that give the Bobcats more talent on the floor and a chance at winning the rebounding game each night.

If the new non-guard pieces are simply to improve the minutes Wiznitzer played than as fans we will see similar results as last season. ABJ returns but Miles had some big games and hopefully ABJ produces even better results than Miles but a Miles upgrade wouldn't have turned the losses to wins. Some, all of you think are locks will be losing minutes in the upcoming season or the team will have a repeat of 2023-24. The starting line-up needs increased SIZE vs last season.

There are no All MAC returnees on this team. All the positions should be wide open competitions with only Mitchell and Clayton as favorites.


Back to Top
  
FJC31
General User

Member Since: 3/31/2022
Post Count: 1,312

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 6/5/2024 7:41:54 PM 
MonroeClassmate wrote:
Victory wrote:
FearLeon wrote:


Don't you see Jackson playing more point that Reef?



Like, I said, I agree with his starting lineup but I think you are right that it will very likely be reversed in the position of the guards.


OHIO lost one significant player from the starting lineup (Hunter to graduation). The team until late in the season was mediocre losing to Cleveland State, Youngstown State, Marshall, Austin Peay, BGSU and Western before righting the ship. (lost to others but I consider those teams superior to the already mentioned teams)

Why would the same line-up minus Hunter but a new guard be much better than last year? Some of the guys who saw significant minutes need to either improve significantly or lose minutes to newcomers that give the Bobcats more talent on the floor and a chance at winning the rebounding game each night.

If the new non-guard pieces are simply to improve the minutes Wiznitzer played than as fans we will see similar results as last season. ABJ returns but Miles had some big games and hopefully ABJ produces even better results than Miles but a Miles upgrade wouldn't have turned the losses to wins. Some, all of you think are locks will be losing minutes in the upcoming season or the team will have a repeat of 2023-24. The starting line-up needs increased SIZE vs last season.

There are no All MAC returnees on this team. All the positions should be wide open competitions with only Mitchell and Clayton as favorites.




Ah, yes. We’re back with Hadaway (and guessing Sheldon) needs to earn his stripes or else pt. 2. I can’t wait for the season with you, Monroe.

Last Edited: 6/5/2024 7:44:34 PM by FJC31

Back to Top
  
shabamon
General User



Member Since: 11/17/2006
Location: Cincinnati
Post Count: 6,226

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 6/5/2024 9:14:49 PM 
MonroeClassmate wrote:
Victory wrote:
FearLeon wrote:


Don't you see Jackson playing more point that Reef?



Like, I said, I agree with his starting lineup but I think you are right that it will very likely be reversed in the position of the guards.


OHIO lost one significant player from the starting lineup (Hunter to graduation). The team until late in the season was mediocre losing to Cleveland State, Youngstown State, Marshall, Austin Peay, BGSU and Western before righting the ship. (lost to others but I consider those teams superior to the already mentioned teams)

Why would the same line-up minus Hunter but a new guard be much better than last year? Some of the guys who saw significant minutes need to either improve significantly or lose minutes to newcomers that give the Bobcats more talent on the floor and a chance at winning the rebounding game each night.

If the new non-guard pieces are simply to improve the minutes Wiznitzer played than as fans we will see similar results as last season. ABJ returns but Miles had some big games and hopefully ABJ produces even better results than Miles but a Miles upgrade wouldn't have turned the losses to wins. Some, all of you think are locks will be losing minutes in the upcoming season or the team will have a repeat of 2023-24. The starting line-up needs increased SIZE vs last season.

There are no All MAC returnees on this team. All the positions should be wide open competitions with only Mitchell and Clayton as favorites.




1) all 13 scholarships are filled which leads to...
2) Assumed health and academic eligibility is an upgrade over only being able to dress eight or nine guys.
3) I hate to be this harsh, but we have cut lots of dead weight.
4) Each position has a two deep on paper.
5) This roster has the potential to have a lot of interesting combinations to fit whatever the game situation needs, as opposed to being stuck with only eight or nine guys.
6) Which would you rather have? Gabe Wiznitzer and IJ Ezuma OR Victor Searls, Ayden Evans, and a guy who looks like he could be Ndour 2.0?
7) Players grow. Hadaway is going to better. Sheldon is going to be better. EJ4 will likely return to form. Clayton will probably be even better.
Back to Top
  
Victory
General User

Member Since: 3/10/2012
Post Count: 1,947

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 6/5/2024 9:53:32 PM 
Yeah, we lost Hunter. I posted a month or two ago that not having a true point guard was probably the biggest risk to the season other than injuries. But Jackson Paveletzke was a Southern Conference freshman of the year and he has two years more experience. It isn't unreasonable to think that he'll be better than hunter. We'll have improved depth especially at the big men spots. We have a lot of good freshmen. A starting line of Paveletzke, Mitchell, Brown, Hadaway, Clayton is likely good enough to be the preseason pick in the MAC. We we close last year, were better down the stretch, Brown should have been the best player and he wasn't playing, and we return guys that have another year of experience. We have a great recruiting class so if that is not the starting lineup barring injury then it probably means one or two of the freshman has stepped up.
Back to Top
  
100%Cat
General User



Member Since: 1/17/2013
Post Count: 2,503

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Portal starts up again March 18th
   Posted: 6/6/2024 8:16:58 AM 
MonroeClassmate wrote:
Victory wrote:
FearLeon wrote:


Don't you see Jackson playing more point that Reef?



Like, I said, I agree with his starting lineup but I think you are right that it will very likely be reversed in the position of the guards.


OHIO lost one significant player from the starting lineup (Hunter to graduation). The team until late in the season was mediocre losing to Cleveland State, Youngstown State, Marshall, Austin Peay, BGSU and Western before righting the ship. (lost to others but I consider those teams superior to the already mentioned teams)

Why would the same line-up minus Hunter but a new guard be much better than last year? Some of the guys who saw significant minutes need to either improve significantly or lose minutes to newcomers that give the Bobcats more talent on the floor and a chance at winning the rebounding game each night.

If the new non-guard pieces are simply to improve the minutes Wiznitzer played than as fans we will see similar results as last season. ABJ returns but Miles had some big games and hopefully ABJ produces even better results than Miles but a Miles upgrade wouldn't have turned the losses to wins. Some, all of you think are locks will be losing minutes in the upcoming season or the team will have a repeat of 2023-24. The starting line-up needs increased SIZE vs last season.

There are no All MAC returnees on this team. All the positions should be wide open competitions with only Mitchell and Clayton as favorites.




Keep in mind, we also played the majority of the season with no AJ Brown and no (or severely limited) Elmore James. Hopefully, those two come back 100% this year. They are going to have a major impact if that happens.
Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  701 - 725  of 748 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30    Next >
View Other 'Ohio Basketball' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             







Copyright ©2024 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties