Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
General Ohio University Discussion/Alumni Events
Topic:  RE: Goodbye Scott Quad...

Topic:  RE: Goodbye Scott Quad...
Author
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004

Message Not Read  RE: Goodbye Scott Quad...
   Posted: 1/28/2022 12:20:15 AM 
Mike Johnson wrote:
MonroeClassmate wrote:
The wrecking ball was active during my stint at OHIO.

Watched Ewing Hall and Howard Hall come tumbling down. Nothing rebuilt in either locations.

Too bad Scott Quad couldn't become the math building or the music building and instead tear down the significantly UGLY Morton or Glidden Halls. Now those are some real campus treasures from the exterior point of view.

I didn't mind Ewing coming down. I had a class there in the basement auditorium. Wood everywhere and the only exit were the stairs leading up to ground level. A firetrap. I too hated to see lovely Howard fall. We then donated to the creation of the park on that site.

Agreed with your earlier post, Mike, about the differences between Europeans and Americans in attitudes toward building preservation. I don't agree, though, on Ewing. It's stain glass windows were priceless, and are now preserved in a museum, but they looked much better in their original location. The fire hazard you mentioned could have been remedied without the need to tear down a building named after our most famous early graduate and foster father of General W. T. Sherman! ;-)

At least no one in the Cubs organization has proposed tearing down Wrigley Field!

"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Mike Johnson
General User

Member Since: 11/11/2004

Posted: 1/28/2022 6:11:23 AM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
Mike Johnson wrote:
MonroeClassmate wrote:

Watched Ewing Hall and Howard Hall come tumbling down. Nothing rebuilt in either locations.

Too bad Scott Quad couldn't become the math building or the music building and instead tear down the significantly UGLY Morton or Glidden Halls. Now those are some real campus treasures from the exterior point of view.

I didn't mind Ewing coming down. I had a class there in the basement auditorium. Wood everywhere and the only exit were the stairs leading up to ground level. A firetrap. I too hated to see lovely Howard fall. We then donated to the creation of the park on that site.

Agreed with your earlier post, Mike, about the differences between Europeans and Americans in attitudes toward building preservation. I don't agree, though, on Ewing. It's stain glass windows were priceless, and are now preserved in a museum, but they looked much better in their original location. The fire hazard you mentioned could have been remedied without the need to tear down a building named after our most famous early graduate and foster father of General W. T. Sherman! ;-)

At least no one in the Cubs organization has proposed tearing down Wrigley Field!

I confess to not remembering the stained glass windows. I recall only that basement auditorium and the building's yellow brick exterior.

http://www.facebook.com/mikejohnson.author

Kinggeorge4
General User

Member Since: 12/22/2004

Posted: 1/28/2022 7:52:16 AM 
Cellis033 wrote:
Recovering Journalist wrote:
This makes me sad about the state of the university but also on a personal level. I was an RA in Scott Quad for two years. It was at the time the smallest dorm on campus (88 residents, I think). Quiet study and upperclass when I was there. It attracted a lot of international students, and I made friends from around the world that I still keep in touch with to this day. I guess the newer dorms are what kids want now, but it's hard to imagine something made more solidly than that building. I agree with a lot of the comments on our disposable culture and unwillingness to put a little effort into saving things worth saving.

I hope they can find a way to repurpose it. I've heard from kids that last roomed there in 2019, that Scott Quad had a bad mold problem to the extent that mold would actually form on their walls after being carried through the HVAC system. Maintenance apparently would just come and scrape the mold off the walls. One of my gf's closest friends roomed there then and had to deal with a bad sinus infection most likely due to the mold.

The mold problem was why the departments in there moved. The building was going to need some serious renovation to correct that problem along with others. They have been battling these issues for years.

GO BOBCATS
GEORGE

mf279801
General User

Member Since: 8/6/2010

Posted: 1/28/2022 9:19:03 AM 
OhioCatFan wrote:
Mike Johnson wrote:
MonroeClassmate wrote:

Maybe not tear it down, but higher-ups within the cubs threatened for years to move out of wrigley field. Found a NYDailyNews story quoting their (then?) owner Tom Ricketts discussing it in 2013. Could it have been posturing related to negotiations for renovations and a cut of the bleacher money? Of course. But it was discussed

stub
General User

Posted: 1/28/2022 6:13:31 PM 
Aren't the stain glass windows lining Walter Hall from Ewing?

Last Edited: 1/28/2022 6:15:52 PM by stub

GroverBall
General User

Member Since: 12/3/2012

Posted: 1/28/2022 10:54:55 PM 
stub wrote:
Aren't the stain glass windows lining Walter Hall from Ewing?

Yep.

https://rvcarchitects.com/project/walter-hall-stained-gla... /

Club Hyatt
General User

Posted: 1/30/2022 3:22:05 PM 
I hope they don't turn the space where Scott Quad was into a parking lot or another grass strip like they did when they bought and removed the diner. Make it into a walk through sculpture garden or something at least.

Most Memorable Bobcat Events Attended
2010 97-83 win over Georgetown in NCAA 1st round
2012 45-13 victory over ULM in the Independence Bowl
2015 34-3 drubbing of Miami @ Peden front of 25,086

Club Hyatt
General User

Posted: 1/30/2022 3:48:03 PM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
I was recently informed that the OU administration feels that the campus is 20% overbuilt. Having travelled most of the states east of the Mississippi and being a student of school architecture, there have been some amazing repurposings of old educational buildings that we might consider before bringing in the wrecking ball.

Overbuilt, but we are still building more ;-)

Makes sense

Going back to the master plan of 2016 the new building has gone up primarily for STEM purposes. They show a plan to remodel the buildings that housed the medical school I believe back into dorms.

https://www.athensnews.com/news/campus/ou-plan-calls-for-...

Basketball practice facility is in that diagram and a new pool/ice rink. New dorms in orange on new south aren't going to happen with enrollment. Both Scott Quad and the Computer Service Center build end up razed not reflected on this map. They could tear down a dorm or two on west green rather than renovate.

Most Memorable Bobcat Events Attended
2010 97-83 win over Georgetown in NCAA 1st round
2012 45-13 victory over ULM in the Independence Bowl
2015 34-3 drubbing of Miami @ Peden front of 25,086

Cellis033
General User

Member Since: 11/11/2021

Posted: 3/19/2022 1:47:02 PM 
Club Hyatt wrote:
BillyTheCat wrote:
Alan Swank wrote:
I was recently informed that the OU administration feels that the campus is 20% overbuilt. Having travelled most of the states east of the Mississippi and being a student of school architecture, there have been some amazing repurposings of old educational buildings that we might consider before bringing in the wrecking ball.

Overbuilt, but we are still building more ;-)

Makes sense

Going back to the master plan of 2016 the new building has gone up primarily for STEM purposes. They show a plan to remodel the buildings that housed the medical school I believe back into dorms.

https://www.athensnews.com/news/campus/ou-plan-calls-for-...

Basketball practice facility is in that diagram and a new pool/ice rink. New dorms in orange on new south aren't going to happen with enrollment. Both Scott Quad and the Computer Service Center build end up razed not reflected on this map. They could tear down a dorm or two on west green rather than renovate.

I took a stroll up to Scott Quad yesterday and I have to say, I hope they keep that courtyard. One of the more peaceful parts of campus! Unfortunately some of the brick paths in the courtyard are starting to get ripped up and bricks stolen.

Chase
OU Engineering Technology and Management '24
O-Zone Leader
Bringing the noise!

Muck Fiami
Kent read, Kent write, Can't be a state!
Bowling Green isn't a state either.

Showing Replies:  26 - 34  of 34 Posts
Jump to Page:  < Previous    1 | 2
View Other 'General Ohio University Discussion/Alumni Events' Topics

Copyright ©2022 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties