Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
General Ohio University Discussion/Alumni Events
Topic:  Campus Improvements

Topic:  Campus Improvements
Author
Message
Cellis033
General User



Member Since: 11/11/2021
Location: Powell, OH
Post Count: 1,066

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  Campus Improvements
   Posted: 7/31/2022 7:15:39 PM 
Just an observation I've made from a few of my visits on campus including today. I've noticed lots of improvement projects are in full swing with the uptick in enrollment. AC units being replaced on East Green (Washington / Read), Improvement of plumbing systems also on East Green, Adams Hall receiving new washers / dryers and finishing touches are being put on a hammock park on South Green.


Chase
OU Engineering Technology and Management '24
O-Zone President
Bringing the noise!

Muck Fiami
Kent read, Kent write, Can't be a state!
Bowling Green Normal School

Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 3,293

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Campus Improvements
   Posted: 8/1/2022 10:13:49 AM 
Cellis033 wrote:
Just an observation I've made from a few of my visits on campus including today. I've noticed lots of improvement projects are in full swing with the uptick in enrollment. AC units being replaced on East Green (Washington / Read), Improvement of plumbing systems also on East Green, Adams Hall receiving new washers / dryers and finishing touches are being put on a hammock park on South Green.


Don't know if I'd call this an "improvement".

According to The Post, starting today ,O.U. is bringing back indoor mask mandates.

The article says its because of "high community levels".

NJ has had "high community levels" for weeks, thanks to BA2.

No one has even suggested going back to masks.

Out here they are taking the position that, with hospitalizations, especially ICU's and vents ,staying pretty much constant, the state is finding a "high community level" doesn't warrant changes to status quo.








Back to Top
  
OhioCatFan
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 12,691

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Campus Improvements
   Posted: 8/1/2022 10:38:32 AM 
rpbobcat wrote:
Cellis033 wrote:
Just an observation I've made from a few of my visits on campus including today. I've noticed lots of improvement projects are in full swing with the uptick in enrollment. AC units being replaced on East Green (Washington / Read), Improvement of plumbing systems also on East Green, Adams Hall receiving new washers / dryers and finishing touches are being put on a hammock park on South Green.


Don't know if I'd call this an "improvement".

According to The Post, starting today ,O.U. is bringing back indoor mask mandates.

The article says its because of "high community levels".

NJ has had "high community levels" for weeks, thanks to BA2.

No one has even suggested going back to masks.

Out here they are taking the position that, with hospitalizations, especially ICU's and vents ,staying pretty much constant, the state is finding a "high community level" doesn't warrant changes to status quo.


Sounds like NJ is following the science.


"It is better to be an optimist and be proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right."

Note: My avatar is the national colors of the 78th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, which are now preserved in a climate controlled vault at the Ohio History Connection. Learn more about the old 78th at: http://www.78ohio.org

Back to Top
  
oldkatz
General User

Member Since: 12/22/2004
Post Count: 1,371

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Campus Improvements
   Posted: 8/1/2022 12:50:10 PM 
In the Convo today with a mask.


"All my inside sources tell me I have no inside sources." Salvatore "money bucks" Mafiosiano.

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 2,568

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Campus Improvements
   Posted: 8/1/2022 2:22:58 PM 
Cellis033 wrote:
Just an observation I've made from a few of my visits on campus including today. I've noticed lots of improvement projects are in full swing with the uptick in enrollment. AC units being replaced on East Green (Washington / Read), Improvement of plumbing systems also on East Green, Adams Hall receiving new washers / dryers and finishing touches are being put on a hammock park on South Green.


If you wanted to discuss campus improvements, I'm very sorry. This board has other ideas.
Back to Top
  
Campus Flow
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Post Count: 4,543

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Campus Improvements
   Posted: 8/6/2022 2:49:57 PM 
The Richland Avenue bridge and tunnel is relatively new and was put into place to improve the campus flow with students passing under Richland through a new tunnel rather than having to walk across the street. Reasons for the improvement were cited as a campus safety measure. Egress and ingress are all considered and first responder access to a particular area of campus.

Construction on a university campus is a continual process. Facilities have a in-service life span that requires renovation or replacement. Its also in the interest of the economy to award construction dollars especially in and around Ohio where construction opportunities are limited. It makes sense to be trotting out 60 to 70 million dollars in construction dollars per year for a campus Ohio's size.

Going back to the McDavis administration what was said is they wanted to take care of academics first meaning upgrading the science buildings and the new medical school building. Extras for athletics sans the Sook Center which was already funded by the end of the McDavis regime were supposed to be down the road. Pandemic of course has thrown a wrench into the university budget but with it stabilizing construction projects are moving forward again. Dorm renovations and the current administration has said they want to plan for a second building on the medical campus.

As it relates to the basketball practice facility. With the planned changes in the NCAA to modify the scholarship allotments and require additional sports I do not see how a BPF does not get built because additional locker rooms will be required. Practice courts and it makes sense to include an all sport weight room ,injury rehab facilities, training table, nutrition center there with it along with a Convo museum. That would of course free up space and scheduling over at Peden for those activities to use by the football program.

Planning for new facilities is still dicey yet though with the specter of the pandemic and inflation. A recession in the construction industry with demand destruction on material prices might save the university some money and make sense for the university to move more projects forward.


Most Memorable Bobcat Events Attended
2010 97-83 win over Georgetown in NCAA 1st round
2012 45-13 victory over ULM in the Independence Bowl
2015 34-3 drubbing of Miami @ Peden front of 25,086

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 8,458

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Campus Improvements
   Posted: 8/7/2022 1:01:25 PM 
Campus Flow, I am curious as to where you see that the NCAA is going to require more sports?
Back to Top
  
Campus Flow
General User

Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Post Count: 4,543

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Campus Improvements
   Posted: 8/7/2022 10:48:50 PM 
BillyTheCat wrote:
Campus Flow, I am curious as to where you see that the NCAA is going to require more sports?


Its in the minutes of the NCAA Transformation Committee. It could require OU to add a couple of sports if the minimum is raised. Minimum for D1 is 14/FBS is 16.

Quote:
In its preliminary discussions, the Transformation Committee identified the following categories of membership requirements for further consideration as it develops enhanced membership expectations. These categories are the result of open discussion and do not represent areas of consensus from the Transformation
Committee at this point.

1) Sports-sponsorship requirements

2) Minimum financial aid standards.

3) Minimum financial commitment and/or staffing requirements for student athlete support services in particular areas (e.g., mental health, athletic
training, academic support).

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ncaaorg/committees/d1/transform/...


Most Memorable Bobcat Events Attended
2010 97-83 win over Georgetown in NCAA 1st round
2012 45-13 victory over ULM in the Independence Bowl
2015 34-3 drubbing of Miami @ Peden front of 25,086

Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 3,293

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Campus Improvements
   Posted: 8/12/2022 3:46:30 PM 
rpbobcat wrote:


Don't know if I'd call this an "improvement".

According to The Post, starting today ,O.U. is bringing back indoor mask mandates.

The article says its because of "high community levels".

NJ has had "high community levels" for weeks, thanks to BA2.

No one has even suggested going back to masks.

Out here they are taking the position that, with hospitalizations, especially ICU's and vents ,staying pretty much constant, the state is finding a "high community level" doesn't warrant changes to status quo.


There's an article in today's The Post that O.U. has decided to "walk back" the
indoor masking mandate.

According to the article based on the covid 19 level dropping to "medium",
masks are no longer mandated, only recommended for "classrooms and other indoor settings".

Glad they made the change before the students were back for Fall Semester.

Definite improvement, at least in my opinion.

Last Edited: 8/12/2022 3:53:35 PM by rpbobcat

Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 6,667

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Campus Improvements
   Posted: 8/13/2022 10:26:46 PM 
rpbobcat wrote:
rpbobcat wrote:


Don't know if I'd call this an "improvement".

According to The Post, starting today ,O.U. is bringing back indoor mask mandates.

The article says its because of "high community levels".

NJ has had "high community levels" for weeks, thanks to BA2.

No one has even suggested going back to masks.

Out here they are taking the position that, with hospitalizations, especially ICU's and vents ,staying pretty much constant, the state is finding a "high community level" doesn't warrant changes to status quo.


There's an article in today's The Post that O.U. has decided to "walk back" the
indoor masking mandate.

According to the article based on the covid 19 level dropping to "medium",
masks are no longer mandated, only recommended for "classrooms and other indoor settings".

Glad they made the change before the students were back for Fall Semester.

Definite improvement, at least in my opinion.



The decision was made a long time ago. If the level goes to red, masks, if it drops, masks optional. This could change on a weekly basis this fall.

Back to Top
  
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 3,293

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Campus Improvements
   Posted: 8/14/2022 10:22:26 AM 
Alan Swank wrote:


The decision was made a long time ago. If the level goes to red, masks, if it drops, masks optional. This could change on a weekly basis this fall.



As I posted, NJ has been at a "High Community Level" for weeks.

But, our Rate of Transmission is below the magic number of 1.

Hospitalizations are steady,ICU's and vents are down.

Hospitals no longer require proof of vaccination to visit.

So "High Community Level" or not,no one is even hinting at a masking.

And that was before the CDC relaxed their covid rules last week.

Maybe that's the type of common sense approach O.U. should consider.













Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 11  of 11 Posts
Jump to Page:  1
View Other 'General Ohio University Discussion/Alumni Events' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             







Copyright ©2022 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties