Welcome Guest!
Create an Account
login email:
password:
site searchwhere to watchcontact usabout usadvertise with ushelp
Message Board

BobcatAttack.com Message Board
General Ohio University Discussion/Alumni Events
Topic:  Non revenue sports

Topic:  Non revenue sports
Author
Message
rpbobcat
General User

Member Since: 4/28/2006
Location: Rochelle Park, NJ
Post Count: 3,536

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  Non revenue sports
   Posted: 6/21/2024 7:14:45 AM 
There's an article by CL Brown of the Louisville Courier Journal (google his name, its comes up) about the possible demise of certain Olympic Sports.
The problem ?
Money, of course.
With the migration of Big Time college sports, especially football and basketball
to a pro-like model, athletic departments are going to be hard pressed to still
be able to fund non-revenue sports.

The article points out how many Olympic Athletes come from non revenue NCAA
sports.

Its a good read.

Last Edited: 6/21/2024 7:16:10 AM by rpbobcat

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 9,616

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Non revenue sports
   Posted: 6/21/2024 8:21:30 AM 
rpbobcat wrote:
There's an article by CL Brown of the Louisville Courier Journal (google his name, its comes up) about the possible demise of certain Olympic Sports.
The problem ?
Money, of course.
With the migration of Big Time college sports, especially football and basketball
to a pro-like model, athletic departments are going to be hard pressed to still
be able to fund non-revenue sports.

The article points out how many Olympic Athletes come from non revenue NCAA
sports.

Its a good read.


And something I have continually said is going to be a biproduct of the NIL, labor movement, paying of players. Time will tell.

And it's not hard to understand that the Olympics have been built off of non-revenue sports (what we call non-revenue in the U.S.).

Last Edited: 6/21/2024 8:23:44 AM by BillyTheCat

Back to Top
  
Bobcat Love's Sense of Shame
General User

Member Since: 7/30/2010
Post Count: 3,369

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Non revenue sports
   Posted: 6/21/2024 9:14:40 AM 
Are there any other countries that rely on higher education to fund the development of Olympic athletes?
Back to Top
  
Joe McKinley
General User



Member Since: 11/15/2004
Post Count: 485

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Non revenue sports
   Posted: 6/21/2024 12:42:22 PM 
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the full amateur requirements/compensation restrictions for athletes competing in Olympic sports initially eased in the early 1970s?

Compensation for Olympic sport athletes has continued to evolve. Prize money in the U.S. for earning medals is relatively small compared to things like NIL, but other compensation can reach six figures and more. I'm sure the NCAA will allow, if it hasn't already, NIL without restrictions for Olympic sports participants.

I think smaller colleges/universities with good weather for outdoor sports, outstanding facilities and excellent coaching might be able to compete quite well with larger institutions in earning NCAA championships and recruiting/retaining Olympic sport athletes.
Back to Top
  
cc-cat
General User

Member Since: 4/5/2006
Location: matthews, NC
Post Count: 3,844

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Non revenue sports
   Posted: 6/21/2024 3:41:29 PM 
Carl Lewis, Michael Phelps, Dan Jansen, Katie Ledecky and other stars all made a fortune in appearance fees at meets. If a school can capitalize on their attendance (and they can) - they will now be additionally compensated via NIL. And like any sport - the stars will make much more than the others.
Back to Top
  
Alan Swank
General User

Member Since: 12/11/2004
Location: Athens, OH
Post Count: 7,060

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Non revenue sports
   Posted: 6/21/2024 4:59:05 PM 
rpbobcat wrote:
There's an article by CL Brown of the Louisville Courier Journal (google his name, its comes up) about the possible demise of certain Olympic Sports.
The problem ?
Money, of course.
With the migration of Big Time college sports, especially football and basketball
to a pro-like model, athletic departments are going to be hard pressed to still
be able to fund non-revenue sports.

The article points out how many Olympic Athletes come from non revenue NCAA
sports.

Its a good read.


Revenue or profit sports? If it's the latter, all sports at MAC schools are non-revenue.

Back to Top
  
JSF
General User



Member Since: 1/29/2005
Location: Houston, TX
Post Count: 6,376

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Non revenue sports
   Posted: 6/21/2024 6:32:05 PM 
Most athletic directors are probably looking forward to the day they don't have to pretend to care about "Olympic" sports.


"Loyalty to a hometown or city is fleeting and interchangeable, but college is a stamp of identity."- Kyle Whelliston, One Beautiful Season.

My blog about depression and mental illness: https://bit.ly/3buGXH8

Back to Top
  
Campus Flow
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Post Count: 4,967

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Non revenue sports
   Posted: 6/22/2024 7:19:17 PM 
The NCAA proposal is a cap on player spending equal to a percentage of the power conference budgets. Spending cap I believe is going to be against the sum total of institutional and NIL money. But the power conference teams have a lot more sports and athletes than do the smaller conferences. The cuts could be a combination of sports and/or roster sizes. Football is a prime target with the most athletes and practice squads ballooning to 120-130. Then football will have the highest market demand generally for payments.

Its the third inning on all of this. Alston case was inning 1. NIL collectives inning 2. NIL settlement was inning 3. Roster adjustments to support the settlement are probably next. Its going to be a few years before its fully fleshed out what it will mean for MAC athletics. Pay could go in the direction of the UFC where players earn "performance bonuses". Salaries will stop the transfer flow of players moving down even being on the bench at a power school.


Most Memorable Bobcat Events Attended
2010 97-83 win over Georgetown in NCAA 1st round
2012 45-13 victory over ULM in the Independence Bowl
2015 34-3 drubbing of Miami @ Peden front of 25,086

Back to Top
  
Campus Flow
General User



Member Since: 12/20/2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Post Count: 4,967

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Non revenue sports
   Posted: 6/22/2024 7:33:33 PM 
JSF wrote:
Most athletic directors are probably looking forward to the day they don't have to pretend to care about "Olympic" sports.


There is Title IX so I don't think Olympic sports are going away. It may be scholarships are going away with all the student athletes making minimum wage and taking out student loans like everyone else. Having 5 swimmers on scholarship with 10 non-scholarship swimmers could be replaced by 12 paid swimmers.

I'm optimistic because if they cut rosters its going to trickle more talent down to the MAC.


Most Memorable Bobcat Events Attended
2010 97-83 win over Georgetown in NCAA 1st round
2012 45-13 victory over ULM in the Independence Bowl
2015 34-3 drubbing of Miami @ Peden front of 25,086

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 9,616

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Non revenue sports
   Posted: 6/24/2024 12:07:36 PM 
Campus Flow wrote:
JSF wrote:
Most athletic directors are probably looking forward to the day they don't have to pretend to care about "Olympic" sports.


There is Title IX so I don't think Olympic sports are going away. It may be scholarships are going away with all the student athletes making minimum wage and taking out student loans like everyone else. Having 5 swimmers on scholarship with 10 non-scholarship swimmers could be replaced by 12 paid swimmers.

I'm optimistic because if they cut rosters its going to trickle more talent down to the MAC.


Title IX will be open for interpretation with this SCoTUS
Back to Top
  
Maddog13
General User

Member Since: 12/21/2004
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Post Count: 610

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Non revenue sports
   Posted: 7/1/2024 5:50:43 AM 
If you follow the Geopolitical model, I doubt that most of the rest of the World will care about Olympic Sports, let alone be able to support it. The United States is the only real place that not only has all the Natural Resources that it needs, but the population too. I don't see the NIL changes having any negative impact on the United States being able to compete Internationally down the road.

Last Edited: 7/1/2024 5:51:13 AM by Maddog13

Back to Top
  
BillyTheCat
General User

Member Since: 10/6/2012
Post Count: 9,616

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Non revenue sports
   Posted: 7/1/2024 11:15:47 PM 
Maddog13 wrote:
If you follow the Geopolitical model, I doubt that most of the rest of the World will care about Olympic Sports, let alone be able to support it. The United States is the only real place that not only has all the Natural Resources that it needs, but the population too. I don't see the NIL changes having any negative impact on the United States being able to compete Internationally down the road.


According to one prominent commencement speaker, we should only focus on menís sports, women need to focus on having kids.
Back to Top
  
greencat
General User



Member Since: 3/12/2005
Post Count: 2,136

Status: Offline

  Message Not Read  RE: Non revenue sports
   Posted: 7/2/2024 10:52:30 AM 
BillyTheCat wrote:


According to one prominent commencement speaker, we should only focus on menís sports, women need to focus on having kids.


Samuel "Gilead" Alito?

Back to Top
  
Showing Replies:  1 - 13  of 13 Posts
Jump to Page:  1
View Other 'General Ohio University Discussion/Alumni Events' Topics
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             







Copyright ©2024 BobcatAttack.com. All rights reserved.  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use
Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties